• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

schennmu said:
Why do people want a sequel to this? Remedy, feel free to make another Horror game, but not about Alan Wake please. He's a decent character, but also far from great. Complete the story with the DLC and we're good.

Finished the game tonight. Really felt like playing a Stephen King novel, with all the up and downsides. More Lynch, less King, more polishing and more varied gameplay next time pls.

And if you put collectathon in your game, give me statistics to track the stuff in a decent manner. There's no way in hell I'll pick up all the fucking thermos again. Stupid design decision.

I believe most people here would disagree with you on this.

MightyHedgehog said:
Because we want to see where the story goes and because Remedy, themselves, has expressed nothing but strong desire to follow it up because they've spent so much time setting it up for more 'seasons'...they even refer to Alan Wake as season one with the DLC being webisodes or special TV movies that bridge the seasons or games. Remedy wants to do a sequel and a ton of people want to play that sequel. Not a difficult thing to figure out.

More searching for generic wife? I really can't imagine any interesting content for a second season. This game is more of a closed novel than an open tv show like lost.

plagiarize said:
fortunately you don't need to. any thermos you already found won't be there on replays.

But not if choose a different difficulty setting, right? I remember reading it in this thread.

schennmu said:
More searching for generic wife? I really can't imagine any interesting content for a second season. This game is more of a closed novel than an open tv show like lost.
I disagree. Did you finish the game? Why would you think that? There's a ton of unanswered questions left at the ending and the world is so well-fleshed out that I cannot imagine Alan Wake 2 to simply regurgitate the first game's progression. I mean, give Remedy more credit than that, man.

MightyHedgehog said:
I disagree. Did you finish the game? Why would you think that? There's a ton of unanswered questions left at the ending and the world is so well-fleshed out that I cannot imagine Alan Wake 2 to simply regurgitate the first game's progression. I mean, give Remedy more credit than that, man.

Yeah, I've just finished it. And I like endings to not explain every little detail, so maybe that's my fault ;). Who knows, maybe they can suprise me with a fresh sequel. As it stands, I'm not longing for it. Well, lets see in what direction the DLC goes.

This game was great outside of the poor pacing. I mean, combat was fine and I liked how mechanics, but
it feels like a long boring chore in a same looking forest after a while. It felt like a lot of the scenes kept repeating, so I don't think it would hurt to make it shorter, and you go long stretches without any story during combat. That or have more puzzles to break it; maybe saying more is being nice considering there were like two in the entire game.
And it sounds like a backhanded compliment, but I mean the best to say that I wanted combat to be over so I could move onto the next story related part because that is was what was entertaining.

and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have "put the lime in the coconut stuck in my head for days".

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alan Wake get. I didn't get out of work until everything but the local superstore was open, but thankfully they had a few copies.

I've played for a couple hours, but I think I'm still on the first chapter. I just met up with the police woman. Anyways, it has been a little awkward, I'm not sure how to feel about the voice overs and I feel like I already have an idea of whats going on but after the tutorial it keeps getting better. I can definitely feel some Max Payne vibes coming from in, not just from the TV and radio shows but the original soundtrack, the voice overs and even the locked door sound. I played on hard thanks to GAF rec, it feels about right. So overall it seems really cool so far aside from some awkwardness but I'm sure it will continue getting better as I go on. If anything, it's a unique game so I'm glad I got it.

Lol, I was literally 5 seconds from the end of the chapter. Any complaints that I had were instantly invalidated by the fact that ROY fucking ORBISON - In Dreams played in the credits, I love that song so much. Best licensed soundtrack ever.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So will all the stuff I collect like the manuscripts and thermoses carry over to my next playthrough?

I hope so, cause if they don't it's kind of pointless to pick them up on my 1st playthrough since I'm not searching all nooks and crannies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
As I read Larsen B's post, I felt an overwhelming and unexpected sense of relief - for a moment, the world took a turn in my favor. If I could continue collecting items without losing progress, maybe I could fight my way through the darkness and make sense of everything, if only for a moment, maybe I could be complete. *

Btw, I just met young Joe Pesci, what an pain in the ass.

* That was my Alan Wake/Max Payne impression.

leng jai

The tearing is getting progressively worse for me. In the first two episodes I barely noticed it, but now I'm up to the end of Episode 5 and its really distracting. Disappointing that after all that development time, Remedy couldn't find a way to resolve it (not to mention the sub-HD resolution). Its a great shame in this otherwise fantastic looking game.

schennmu said:
If you payed attention to the ending, you would know
that Alice isn't lost anymore.

I'm having a hard time finding the last chest.

skyfinch

Linkzg said:
it feels like a long boring chore in a same looking forest after a while. It felt like a lot of the scenes kept repeating, so I don't think it would hurt to make it shorter, and you go long stretches without any story during combat. That or have more puzzles to break it; maybe saying more is being nice considering there were like two in the entire game.

Same looking forest? Well it does take place in a centralize location. But anyways, there are only 6 chapters in the game, and in this amount of time, lets see how many set pieces this games goes through.

Episode 1 - The forest - bright falls/the harbor/the diner - the cabin - the logging site.
Episode 2 - new york - police station - camping grounds - the old mill
Episode 3 - underground cave, train station
Episode 4 - lodge/hedge maze - farm
Episode 5 - Bright falls town/city, power plant, water damn
Episode 6 - new york - junk yard

So considering it's a fairly short game, I do think there is a lot of variety in the scenery, not just forests.

skyfinch

Dax01 said:
If you payed attention to the ending, you would know
that Alice isn't lost anymore.

I'm having a hard time finding the last chest.

Not sure if this is the same one I had trouble finding.

right after you and the kidnapper fend off the taken (the part where you only have flares), you'll jump the the section "make it out of the forest". Right away, turn to your left and go down a small rock path. Once you get to the massive water fall overhead, the chest is right near there.

owlbeak

Bought this last night, been looking forward to it for a while. Here are my impressions (I'm currently on the second level or something
trying to get to the gas station after the car wreck

+Graphics
+Sound
+Lighting Effects
+Atmosphere
-In-game product placement
-Alan Wake as a character so far
-All the voice acting
-All the manuscript pages sound like they were written by Jr. High students
-Voice syncing on Alice is non existent. Half the cut scenes she's been in so far, her mouth is hanging open kind of moving and not even close to matching the words she's saying.
-Annoying "gameplay" segments where it's like CUTSCENE, get to the house, walk two feet CUTSCENE. Why do I even have to move anywhere? I'd rather watch the cutscene!

I hope it gets better, I'm liking the main story so far but the little things are really annoying. Mostly, I can't believe how bad the voice acting is up to this point for such a high profile game.

leng jai said:
The tearing is getting progressively worse for me. In the first two episodes I barely noticed it, but now I'm up to the end of Episode 5 and its really distracting. Disappointing that after all that development time, Remedy couldn't find a way to resolve it (not to mention the sub-HD resolution). Its a great shame in this otherwise fantastic looking game.
The only point in the game in which the tearing was down right bad was at the beginning of Episode 4. Other than that, it was barely present or not there at all.
skyfinch said:
Not sure if this is the same one I had trouble finding.

right after you and the kidnapper fend off the taken (the part where you only have flares), you'll jump the the section "make it out of the forest". Right away, turn to your left and go down a small rock path. Once you get to the massive water fall overhead, the chest is right near there.
Is that in Episode 2? I don't remember a chest
with a waterfall next to it.
Maybe that it's it.

skyfinch

Dax01 said:
The only point in the game in which the tearing was down right bad was at the beginning of Episode 4. Other than that, it was barely present or not there at all.

Is that in Episode 2? I don't remember a chest
with a waterfall next to it.
Maybe that it's it.

Yes, I believe it's 2.

Just as the "get through the forest" section begins, take a left.

Solo

Beat Episode Six/the game. So fucking great. This is my GOTY so far, edging out ME2 and BS2. Its fucking depressing that its selling like shit and we'll never get another game in the series.

Rad-

Solo said:
Beat Episode Six/the game. So fucking great. This is my GOTY so far, edging out ME2 and BS2. Its fucking depressing that its selling like shit and we'll never get another game in the series.

I'd still put ME2 above it but after that, definitely the second best game this year and a nice change to the disappointments I've had earlier this year (Conviction, GoW 3).

ACE 1991

Tips on the
section where you get chased around by taken and a bulldozer? My objective is to "find a vehicle." I keep getting rammed and axed to hell.

I finished it last night as well. I've been reading the Alan Wake files. There's some really interesting tie in stuff.

I presume the files were written by Sam Lake considering how well it ties in an expands on things.

skyfinch said:
Same looking forest? Well it does take place in a centralize location. But anyways, there are only 6 chapters in the game, and in this amount of time, lets see how many set pieces this games goes through.

Episode 1 - The forest - bright falls/the harbor/the diner - the cabin - the logging site.
Episode 2 - new york - police station - camping grounds - the old mill
Episode 3 - underground cave, train station
Episode 4 - lodge/hedge maze - farm
Episode 5 - Bright falls town/city, power plant, water damn
Episode 6 - new york - junk yard

So considering it's a fairly short game, I do think there is a lot of variety in the scenery, not just forests.

I don't think it is a fairly short game. That's part of why it became a bother for me. If
it was a shorter game and kept combat sequences brief, that would have helped the pacing a lot. As for variety in scenery, it is mostly just forest, or "trees, rocks, and darkness". Again, it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't drag on so much because the combat isn't bad, it just becomes exhausting after a while and I want to get through it to see the next story sequence.

Linkzg said:
I don't think it is a fairly short game. That's part of why it became a bother for me. If
it was a shorter game and kept combat sequences brief, that would have helped the pacing a lot. As for variety in scenery, it is mostly just forest, or "trees, rocks, and darkness". Again, it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't drag on so much because the combat isn't bad, it just becomes exhausting after a while and I want to get through it to see the next story sequence.
i played it episode by episode and it didn't remotely bother me... but then i've spent days walking in the woods of the pacific northwest.

still i think it's not a game to marathon. there are natural breaks in it, and i think when you end an episode you should wait until tomorrow to carry on.

i love the use of licensed music. are there any other games that use licensed music like this? like a film or tv series?

the closest i can think of is the gta series, but it doesn't really feel exactly the same.

Uncle

sflufan said:
Not to be a downer, but it appears that the first week sales of the game didn't quite live up to expectations:

Edit:
Oh yeah. Their source is banned here.

sflufan said:
However, I'd imagine that the folks in Helsinki are somewhat concerned.

Espoo.

sflufan said:
Not to be a downer, but it appears that the first week sales of the game didn't quite live up to expectations:

http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/12302/Alan-Wake-fails-to-ignite-the-charts.html

Granted, the game had only been released in Europe (theoretically a big market for the game considering Remedy's pedigree) by the time the numbers were compiled. However, I'd imagine that the folks in Helsinki are somewhat concerned.
i could have sworn i saw the 88,000 as it's sales in the UK not europe.

can't find the number now, but in the UK it only sold 1000 copies less than all Fifa World Cup 2010 did all together on all systems and sold 12,000 more than Lost Planet 2 did on both platforms (which was third in the all formats chart).

that makes that 88,000 for all of europe look pretty suspect to me, but i don't know for sure.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/17/fifa-world-cup-leaves-alan-in-its-wake-on-uk-sales-chart/

Anybody else know what the location of they're last chest? Maybe it's one that I missed.

Just got three achievements to go including finding all the chests.

wRATH2x

Banned
Solo said:
Now play RDR to see that list change soon.

Wait, I thought Alan Wake was selling well.

wRATH2x said:
Wait, I thought Alan Wake was selling well.
The story going around is that Alan Wake only sold about 85k across Europe in week one sales. It cites the Chartz what have to do with Vs and Gs, though, so it should be taken with a grain of salt (i.e., ignored completely). If I had to guess, though, I think it's doing okay; it strikes me as a slow burn game in part because the core concept is not something that can easily be broken down for the masses (unlike, say, Mario Galaxy or Red Dead), and if Microsoft continues to back it and market it, I'd be surprised if it didn't continue to move units like Fallout or the Max Paynes.

Oh yeah, I just beat it, like, twenty minutes ago. Anyone who didn't like the ending is a fool.

I still kind of like Deadly Premonition more. :p

Bizzyb said:
They killed my interest in the game when they took out the open worlds and replaced them with scripted events.
Soooo... around three years ago?

Bizzyb

Banned
sflufan said:

http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/news/article/12302/Alan-Wake-fails-to-ignite-the-charts.html

Granted, the game had only been released in Europe (theoretically a big market for the game considering Remedy's pedigree) by the time the numbers were compiled. However, I'd imagine that the folks in Helsinki are somewhat concerned.

They killed my interest in the game when they took out the open worlds and replaced them with scripted events. Though to be fair I will probably pick this up when it hits the $40 mark.

stupei

Bizzyb said:
They killed my interest in the game when they took out the open worlds and replaced them with scripted events. Though to be fair I will probably pick this up when it hits the $40 mark.

A thriller with the kind of tension this game has would never happen in an open world game. They took out the open worlds to create the experience they had been aiming for.

And for a linear game, it's very good at giving you the impression that it's much more open than it is -- at least when you're inside the forest. The fact that the original open world designs are still in place means that you can really see trees and mountains stretching off in every direction, and you get the feeling that there is so much to explore but you're sticking to the path for your own self-preservation.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Wait? So the thermoses, manuscripts, radios, etc. I picked up in my first playthrough will not be there in my second? That's awesome because I thought you had to go recollect all of them again, or at least I was told that originally (which has dissuaded me from replaying the game again).

Shrinnan said:
Wait? So the thermoses, manuscripts, radios, etc. I picked up in my first playthrough will not be there in my second? That's awesome because I thought you had to go recollect all of them again, or at least I was told that originally (which has dissuaded me from replaying the game again).
The thermoses won't be, but the manuscripts and radios that you did pick up will be there for you to pick up/interact with again.

I have to say, Alan Wake was a pretty good game, but I was pretty turned off by the ending. I almost want to trade it in. I played the whole game, really enjoying the fact that it was such a mind fuck, and I didn't know what was going on or how it'd end, everything building up and then...An anti-climatic ending that doesn't really explain much and isn't even really much of a cliffhanger either only to find out the first Episode is like two months away...Not really sure if I want to wait it out for the DLC or just trade it in and never look back. I'm very torn on the whole thing all basically because the ending.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
finished the game , overall it's very very good game , but not a masterpiece like Max Payne 2.

I LOVE
-good story , one of the best ever in video games , good use of the medium.
- great action , I was surprised to see how fun the shooting is , Horror games don't usually give you that , then again it's fucking Remedy of mofo Max Payne.
- the pacing is very good.
-great atmosphere , capture the dark woods feel like no other , fucking great.
- the soundtrack , holy shit , also plot related thingy inspired be a song , awesome.

I HATE
- Barry wheeler as comic relief , he single-handedly almost ruined the game for me , die die die you annoying lil shit.
- FACES , no single decent looking female in this game , what the freaking fuck with that ?
- repetitive as fuck.
- Episode 6 , burn it in a blue fire.
- tearing , tearing , tearing , oh man , the tearing gave me headache.
- camera , I click the right stick but it's always shit it's annoying.
- the hud , and unfaded objective's subtitles ( srsly wtf )
- FORD , Verizon and Energizer , go to hell guys.

and some other thoughts

- Episode 4 was the best , other episode of the the game should have been like that , it's awesome , has everything ( story , talking , action , day and night ..ect ) even when it ended in a very bad way but it's the best episode of the game , unlike the shit called episode 6.

- in Episode 1 , they should give you the chance to free roam and talk with the people of the town , you just do it in the cafe , the town was big enough ,and it's very interesting , they missed the chance to do that.

- fucking HUD , the game will be a better cinematic experience with no Hud, , and really , Alan can remind us of the objectives and what should we go/do , since he don't shut up anyway , no need to put text on the screen all the time.

-the Ending ( and Episode 6 ) , uh , as many many games , the final stage is a complete disaster , the entire episode was just "go there" , loved the game but seriously I am disappointed with it.

- Do not want a sequel for it , really , as much as I love the game , it's better to leave it as this , better return to Alex Casey :(

-an Xbox 360 with a tiny SDTV/Tube TV reference , is this an inside joke from Remedy on the sub-HD ?

- just Like Siren New Translation Blood Curse I played it one episode per night ,but unlike Siren , It didn't feel like episodic/Horror TV show experience to me at all , Siren Cliffhangers , many plot twists at the end of each episode was more natural than Alan Wake on the Episodic "part" of it , better to play it in one/two days.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dammit I wish I wasn't stuck at work so I could get back to playing this.
The first chapter was really cool overall, what's with the lip syncing though? It's so off.

Minamu

I just managed to get the annoying achievements, speedrun episode x in less than 30 minutes, survive episode 6 without shooting, beat the concert battle without dropping to red health and don't die when cooping with the sheriff. I thought they were gonna be a real pain in the ass, but no. Managed to find 2 more signs and 1 coffee thermose as well. 10 signs and 6 thermoses left. I hope it will be jsut as easy to find the last few manuscript pages as well :S

Snuggler said:
Dammit I wish I wasn't stuck at work so I could get back to playing this.
The first chapter was really cool overall, what's with the lip syncing though? It's so off.
Remedy did the same kind of digital actor stuff used in Uncharted and Heavy Rain for mocapping and cutscenes and defining how the characters look. Problem is, all these digital actors were probably speaking Finnish or busted English, since they used different voice actors.

schennmu said:

I'm pretty pissed at the whole "announce the sequel" in a fully closed entertainment story these days.

I do not invest my time into gaming for that kind of shit.

But... on the other hand it is a typical trope in the horror genre, so I suppose I ought to be lenient here.

edit: spoilertagged just to be safe

Max

I am not Max
ToyMachine228 said:
I have to say, Alan Wake was a pretty good game, but I was pretty turned off by the ending. I almost want to trade it in. I played the whole game, really enjoying the fact that it was such a mind fuck, and I didn't know what was going on or how it'd end, everything building up and then...An anti-climatic ending that doesn't really explain much and isn't even really much of a cliffhanger either only to find out the first Episode is like two months away...Not really sure if I want to wait it out for the DLC or just trade it in and never look back. I'm very torn on the whole thing all basically because the ending.
Because of this reason I am so happy I rented

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I AM JOHN! said:
Remedy did the same kind of digital actor stuff used in Uncharted and Heavy Rain for mocapping and cutscenes and defining how the characters look. Problem is, all these digital actors were probably speaking Finnish or busted English, since they used different voice actors.

Makes sense, the infamous GIF part where his wife is speaking in the cabin was hilarious, it looked like she was singing. I can deal with it though, that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me.

So the DLC voucher, is the bonus mission already available? I haven't tried to redeem it yet.

Instro

Finished the game today, about the ending:
Were we playing as Mr. Scratch or the real Alan Wake the whole time? Who's stuck in the cabin writing? The whole "The lake is an ocean" thing seems to hint to the dark presence being able to manifest elsewhere as well.

Anyway I really enjoyed the game quite a bit, the environments got a bit to samey at times but there was just enough variety for me to not be annoyed. Combat was good, but I really would have liked some good boss battles, the finale was horrible in that regard. The whole ending was pretty anticlimactic after all the build up, so many questions and plot points im assuming its all for a sequel.

Top Bottom