• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

Darktails

Holy shit! (Don't read the spoiler if you haven't completed the game yet!)
I just realized that Dr. Hartman *is* Emil! So he *did* have a love-relationship with Babara Jagger! Not only that, but IIRC he was the one that persuaded Zane into writing her back into existence after she died/was murdered by him. I totally underestimated Hartmans importance to whatever is happening in Bright Falls. :D

skyfinch

Dax01 said:
It is done. 1000/1000G for Alan Wake. I now await the DLC.

Nice.

1 more thermos for me. Gave up on Forza 3, when it comes to getting all achievements for the first time ever in a game. As long as I can find the last damn thermos, Alan Wake will be my first. :D

Darktails said:
Holy shit! (Don't read the spoiler if you haven't completed the game yet!)
I just realized that Dr. Hartman *is* Emil! So he *did* have a love-relationship with Babara Jagger! Not only that, but IIRC he was the one that persuaded Zane into writing her back into existence after she died/was murdered by him. I totally underestimated Hartmans importance to whatever is happening in Bright Falls. :D

The story in this game is great, I love it so much.

leng jai

SCHUEY F1 said:
Just listened to the soundtrack that comes with the collectors edition and it is quite good.

Disappointed it was only a sampler, considering the description didn't mention it being so. Can you actually buy the full OST anywhere?

derFeef

ACE 1991 said:
Any help?
One option is to
open the gate at the other side of the place right in the beginning and walk in there as soon as it is opened enough. You can trick out the bulldozer with the gate then, as he keeps ramming the fence.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
derFeef said:
One option is to
open the gate at the other side of the place right in the beginning and walk in there as soon as it is opened enough. You can trick out the bulldozer with the gate then, as he keeps ramming the fence.

You can also just get in the truck after opening the gate without defeating the bulldozer.

just got to episode 6 i had to stop playing because i dont want to finish it. i am regretting not buying the collectors edition. i can listen to roy orbison in dreams over and over. That first episode really captures your attention and that ending song man i sat there listening to it thinking that is probably the best song to end cap this episode.

I hope this game sells enough to get a sequel. I am looking forward to the DLC episodes. I think sam lake has out done himself, i love all the nudges back to max payne and remedys obsession with new york city. The game feels like an adventure game, the lvls are big enough to go exploring for the extra goodies. I like driving around in the cars looking for hidden stuff. I dont know how they would of made this game in to a open world game with out breaking tight narrative structure they have. But over all this is probably the best game i have play in a very long time.

I hope for a PC port, if the game does poorly i am also willing to subscribe to all future seasons of Alan Wake if they do.

i would also like to purchase a flaming eye of Mordor

Just finished Episode 4. I have to say - it entirely lived up to the hype.

When the chapter started I was already engaged. The whole questioning if Wake was crazy or not was handled really well. Just enough given to make you wonder, but just enough inconsistencies that it played out excellently. Also - I loved the Shinning call out with the Maze. Perhaps the most tense I've been yet, with Barry calling out that the 'shadowy freaks are coming to you' but not seeing them yet. Really curious how that section will play out on Nightmare as it was the most difficult in terms of combat yet.

Moving on to the farm though - such an inspired location. Sure its, again, in the forest. But the fores is always just varried enough that I don't mind. And fighting off wave after wave of Taken while some kick ass song plays on a stage decked out with viking stuff? AWESOME. My only hang up here was that I didn't take advantage of the multitude of weapons laid about. More my fault than anything with the game.

The fight through the barns to the main farm was also a ton of fun. Playing on HARD has really been the perfect choice. I always feel threatened by the Taken, but never impossibly so. I've also, thankfully, given up on hunting down each and every manuscript page. Most of them are laid out in front of you. It keeps the flow of the story going, and gives me a reason to play through again on hard.

I was incredibly tempted to start Episode 5, especially with how it starts. But its 2:30am here, and I could use the sleep. Going to play RDR during the day tomorrow, but as soon as it gets dark enough - I'm totally going to plow through Alan Wake.

I can not recommend this game enough. Eagerly looking forward to finsihing it, and then to the DLC. And fingers crossed for a 'second season'.

Technosteve said:
I like driving around in the cars looking for hidden stuff.

Sorry for the double post - but this has so far been my only real complaint. I *hate* the driving in this game. Partly because of the controls. The camera becomes useless, as it spazes anytime you touch it. And the cars are almost impossible to steer, unless you feather the gas which seems strange in a game like this.

It also brought out the OCD freak in me. Every time you are given a car you cross so much space that I felt like I needed to get out every five feet and investigate to make sure I wasn't missing a page or thermos or what have you. Thankfully i got over that, and plan on making a 100% run on Nightmare - but untill I did - those huge open spaces made me just want to ditch the car and walk on foot to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Oh, and the combat in the car felt useless. Half the time I'd end up just staying in one spot, letting the headlights burn down the few Taken in front of me, then speed up to hit them. Then slowly turn around. Then speed up to hit them again. Then slowly turn around again. Then speed up to hit them. It just completely ruins the tension.

Tokubetsu

Red Mercury said:
Sorry for the double post - but this has so far been my only real complaint. I *hate* the driving in this game. Partly because of the controls. The camera becomes useless, as it spazes anytime you touch it. And the cars are almost impossible to steer, unless you feather the gas which seems strange in a game like this.

It also brought out the OCD freak in me. Every time you are given a car you cross so much space that I felt like I needed to get out every five feet and investigate to make sure I wasn't missing a page or thermos or what have you. Thankfully i got over that, and plan on making a 100% run on Nightmare - but untill I did - those huge open spaces made me just want to ditch the car and walk on foot to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Oh, and the combat in the car felt useless. Half the time I'd end up just staying in one spot, letting the headlights burn down the few Taken in front of me, then speed up to hit them. Then slowly turn around. Then speed up to hit them again. Then slowly turn around again. Then speed up to hit them. It just completely ruins the tension.

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. The car parts, up until the last one, added about an hour to my overall time because of this.

mujun

Tokubetsu said:
Glad I'm not the only one who feels like this. The car parts, up until the last one, added about an hour to my overall time because of this.

Me too. Never bothered me though, I really just enjoyed soaking up the surroundings and the mood in the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zeouterlimits said:
I am addicted to 'The Poet and The Muse'. Seriously can't stop listening to it.

yup , The Poet and The Muse and War are awesome , but Haunted ( in the game but not on the OST ) is very good too , and I listen to Electrica Cadente and Shady Grove ( this one not on the OST too ) while playing RDR

owlbeak

Okay.....is there a known problem with how bad the lip syncing is in this game? It's atrocious and that's being kind. I have the game installed to the HD, does that make it worse? Everyone's mouths move (move is kind of an exaggeration) about 1 second after their voice, so it just looks ridiculous!! It's not my TV/receiver because I have no sound lag in any other game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Horsebite said:
Okay.....is there a known problem with how bad the lip syncing is in this game? It's atrocious and that's being kind. I have the game installed to the HD, does that make it worse? Everyone's mouths move (move is kind of an exaggeration) about 1 second after their voice, so it just looks ridiculous!! It's not my TV/receiver because I have no sound lag in any other game.

It's just a problem with the game, I mentioned it a couple pages back an I guess the actors were speaking either another language or broken english when they were mo-capped so it looks really funky as a result.

derFeef

Horsebite said:
No, face animations are just plain bad in Alan Wake. They said they try to fix this with the DLC´s.

owlbeak

Okay good. Glad it's not just me, but it baffles me how such a cinematic game that's been in production for 5 years has the worst lip syncing I've seen in recent memory.

Guess I'll just ignore it. :) On to episode 2!

Horsebite said:
Okay good. Glad it's not just me, but it baffles me how such a cinematic game that's been in production for 5 years has the worst lip syncing I've seen in recent memory.
Yeah, it's a real shame for a game so heavy on the narrative. Although some characters are worse offenders than others, Alan was okay but Barry had some real problems from time to time. I've also been playing a little Half-Life 2 recently, and that makes this whole thing sting a little bit more.

slewis7

Brother Sport said:
The licensed tracks fits in perfectly, indeed, but let's not forget the work of composer Petri Alanko. Great stuff:

I really hope they release a CD soundtrack for sale that includes Alanko's tracks as well the licensed tunes. The music in this game is outstanding and fits the theme brilliantly.

Alan Wake is my first actual 1000/1000 GS title.

dealwithit12.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That gif is awesome.

I can't wait to get back to Alan tonight, after getting halfway through chapter three when I bought it Friday night, but I haven't played it yet due to bullshit like work and the girlfriend.

feel

Mr_Zombie

Letters said:
Fuck it's really depressing to see this game bomb.

It bombs? :/
Basing on sales charts it was on top of the list, or very near the top, in lots of European countries. In few it even outsold RDR (Holland).

feel

Mr_Zombie said:
Basing on sales charts it was on top of the list, or very near the top, in lots of European countries. In few it even outsell RDR (for example in Holland).
Oh ok that's good. But I wish it was doing better in the US too, it didn't even chart in last weeks majornelson top 20 iirc .

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Letters said:
Oh ok that's good. But I wish it was doing better in the US too, it didn't even chart in last weeks majornelson top 20 iirc .

We'll probably see a sequel, or at least I hope we will. I was hoping that this game, even though it may not have strong sales in the beginning, would have incredibly strong legs because of word of mouth. If that becomes true, then we may see an actual marketing attempt by Microsoft.

The thing is, Remedy spent so many years developing the engine, devising the mechanics of how it would actually play, working out what they did and didn't need... if they got a shot at a sequel the turnaround would be a lot quicker. They'd spend more time on assets than on engines and mechanics, and they'd have the freedom to experiment more with the framework they've laid down.

What I'm saying is, I need to play Alan Wake 2.

derFeef

This reminds me of something remedy said in several interviews. (also on the major nelson podcast). They are doing something great with "music and games that has not been seen before" in the coming weeks. No sign of that so far?

Shake Appeal said:
Yup.

Wessiej

Mr_Zombie said:
Basing on sales charts it was on top of the list, or very near the top, in lots of European countries. In few it even outsold RDR (Holland).
Now 1 week later, it isn't even in the top 10 in Holland... RDR is 1&2.

skyfinch

Letters said:

Majornelson"'s top 20 are for "titles people are playing on Xbox LIVE". Alan Wake is not an XBL game.

Backfoggen said:
Alan Wake is my first actual 1000/1000 GS title.

Yep, mine too. Finally found the last thermos.

Shake Appeal said:
The thing is, Remedy spent so many years developing the engine, devising the mechanics of how it would actually play, working out what they did and didn't need... if they got a shot at a sequel the turnaround would be a lot quicker. They'd spend more time on assets than on engines and mechanics, and they'd have the freedom to experiment more with the framework they've laid down.

Bring on season 2!!!

skyfinch said:
Majornelson"'s top 20 are for "titles people are playing on Xbox LIVE". Alan Wake is not an XBL game.
No, the top is for all the games people are playing while they're connected on Xbox Live, a game can be in the top 20 even if it doesn't have an online mode(see GFW's Top or Final Fantasy XIII in march).

skyfinch

adriano999 said:
No, the top is for all the games people are playing while they're connected on Xbox Live, a game can be in the top 20 even if it doesn't have an online mode(see GFW's Top or Final Fantasy XIII in march).

Well regardless, most people who buy Alan Wake know that it's a single player game. They might not even be connected to XBL, so majornelson's list isn't something to go by when it comes to single player game sales.

Just finished Episode 5. Outstanding stuff. The game just gives and gives.

And yes - this track - War (?) is awesome. I get why people keep asking about it, and why it keeps coming up. (I'm writting this as the 'End of Episode' music plays.)

I wanted to throw this out there: The episode structure of Alan Wake works surprisingly well. When i first heard about it, I was a little mystified. Why structure a game like a series of television episodes... but it works so well at providing a breaking point. Even if this is simply a series of levels, framing it in the context of 'Episodes' works to the games advantage by encapsulating the events into a single chunk of play. It allows for them to change up the locations, jump around in the time line and so many other things.

But - Ep 6 is starting now. Time to push on to the end.

What are everyone elses thoughts about the episode structure? I haven't seen it comment on much here, save to reference where everyone is at in their game.

FrankT

I just finished it up tonight. What an incredible story driven experience. I'd venture to say top 2nd or 3rd for me this gen. Cracking into the rest of my CE and working through the soundtrack which is just lovely.

Anyhow I'm very pleased there is more to come in this world.

:lol

That is one awesome gif.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Red Mercury said:
What are everyone elses thoughts about the episode structure? I haven't seen it comment on much here, save to reference where everyone is at in their game.

I really like the structure, but I would've especially liked a menu to save and quit inbetween episodes to give it a more finalized feel.

TripOpt55

I just finished the game up tonight. Really liked it. Probably my favorite game of the year so far, but I have only played a few from this year. Thought the presentation and story were really cool and loved the TV-style episode structure though I agree with Papercuts 100% that you should have been able to save and quit between episodes as I always ended up seeing the beginning of the next before being able to really stop (unless I just missed the option). Great game. Might go back for some of the achievements. Not sure if it will be right away though.

How tough is Nightmare compared to Normal? Normal seemed pretty easy.

Shrennin

I don't think this was posted, if it was then ignore.

Alan Wake 'The Signal' DLC is NOT Episode 7 Written by Shane - Administrator Sunday, 30 May 2010 22:05

I've been chatting with the guys over at the Remedy forums concerning Alan Wake and within one thread Remedy staffer Mikki stated that the DLC will not be titled as extra episodes.
You won't be seeing 'Episode 7' in the main menu as you might have thought, Mikki has stated that when downloaded, within the main menu you will see the option 'Special Feature 1', which of course refers to 'The Signal', so we can expect 'The Writer' to be 'Special Feature 2'.
Mikki has confirmed to me personally, and I quote; "The DLC packs are not part of the "Season one" of Alan Wake, nor "Season two" -- they're their own thing, a kind of an interlude, really."
You can draw your own conclusions from that, but whatever the case, if you're a fan, I'm sure you're anticipating these DLC packs as much as we are. Thank you to Mikki - Remedy.
http://www.gamescares.com/main/inde...-not-episode-7&catid=10:latest-news&Itemid=14

So apparently the DLC isn't [considered] new episodes.

derFeef

Very interesting. I like the idea of having "special features" like TV series are having from time to time. Can not wait for some infos.

Wooo! Just finished the game.
Space Oddity is just about perfect.

Loved this game. Its not perfect by any strech of the imagination, but its just so good at what it does. Definintely looking forward to going back through this thread and reading through all of the spoilers. The ending is definintely... WTF.

I was with it for the most part... But here's my take. Obviously end game spoilers following.
So, in order for Wake to free Alice he needed to write himself as the prisoner of the cabin? He mentioned something about balance - and that it was what Zane missed. What really confused me was the 'double'. Zane said something about it, how Wake shouldn't pay attention to the double - he was just needed for his friends. He started to say something else, about why the double was needed - but got all garbled or the sound messed up on my end. Curious what that was exactly supposed to mean.

There was also the fact that time seemed to 'rewind'? Wake seemed to write that into being as well. But then, Deerfest seemed to be going on at the same time. Which reminds me, LOVED Rose as the new Lady of the Light.... but who was that writting behind her in the closing shot?

Like I said - really looking forward to re-reading this thread and seeing what everyone else thought.

Easily one of my favorite games. Bravo Remedy!

Mr_Zombie

Shrinnan said:
So apparently the DLC isn't [considered] new episodes.

But that's exactly what Remedy was saying since the DLC was announced - that downloadable content will be like "Special episodes", connected neither to episode 1 nor 2.

Shrennin

Mr_Zombie said:
But that's exactly what Remedy was saying since the DLC was announced - that downloadable content will be like "Special episodes", connected neither to episode 1 nor 2.

I knew that they weren't extensions of the story, but I didn't know what they would be considered. I didn't hear anything about what the DLC would be ultimately considered. For all I knew, it could have been an Episode 7 (The Signal) but not necessarily a continuation of where Episode 6 left off. I'm pretty sure The Signal was said to be a different perspective of certain events in the game, but that didn't really imply what The Signal would be considered as far as its inclusion in the game. It also answers how the DLC will be accessed.

Shrennin

Red Mercury said:
but who was that writting behind her in the closing shot?

That was Agent Nightingale. The FBI Agent who was taken by the Dark Presence in the cell at the beginning of episode...5, I believe.

Top Bottom