• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

fernoca

Buttonbasher said:
I borrowed this from a friend, and got to Chapter 4 before I broke down and ordered the Limited Edition (which I just realized will be my first boxed game purchase this year). The limited edition package just looks SO amazing. Can anyone clarify what's included on the soundtrack disc though (licensed music/score)? The song in Chapter 4 (the one on the record) was really good.
Songs in the Limited Edition soundtrack/disc:
1. "A Writer's Dream"
2. "Young Men Dead"
3. "Welcome to Bright Falls"
4. "The Clicker"
5. "How Can I Be Sure"
6. "Tom The Diver (Piano+Cello)"
7. "The Beaten Side of Town"
8. "The Poet and The Muse"
9. "Electrica Cadente"
10. "Tom The Diver (Orchestra)"
Songs at the end of each episode:
Episode One: Roy Orbison - In Dreams
Episode Two: Poe - Haunted
Episode Three: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Up Jumped The Devil
Episode Four: Poets of the Fall (as Old Gods of Asgard) - The Poet and the Muse
Episode Five: Poets of the Fall - War
Episode Six/Credits:
David Bowie - Space Oddity
Other songs used in the game:
Coconut - Harry Nilsson
Air Kissing - Violent Indiana
Shady Grove - Among the Oak & Ash
The Beaten Side of Town - Barry Adamson
How Can I Be Sure - Anomie Belle
Electrica Cadente - Dead Combo
Black Night - Charles Brown
Back Bone - The Rumble Strips
Children of the Elder God - Old Gods of Asgard
Young Men Dead - Black Angels

Most of the songs can be played in the game menu on the Extras section; under Playback then Soundtrack.

EDIT:
Spoiler-tagged the end/credits..just in case..since it may not be related to the ending per se, but more to the overall feel of the game... :p

fernoca said:
Songs in the Limited Edition soundtrack/disc:

Songs at the end of each episode:

Other songs used in the game:

Most of the songs can be played in the game menu on the Extras section; under Playback then Soundtrack.

EDIT:
Spoiler-tagged the end/credits..just in case..since it may not be related to the ending per se, but more to the overall feel of the game... :p
Great post. Thanks a lot! The Poet and The Muse seems to be the track I was thinking of.

Here's a complaint I have. Not at all a plot spoiler, but more like a gameplay one:

I wish there were more video game like boss encounters, or at least last stand situations. I found myself saving flashbangs and signal flares in case I had to battle something big. Yeah, there were the bulldozers and the tornado, but I wanted something more like a Zelda boss, where you had to figure out how to expose it's weak point or it had stages to the battle. Like if you ran through a junkyard and the junk got possessed, turning into a giant junk monster or something. Never really happened in the game then I would get to the end of the episode and lose all my inventory. Maybe for the sequel, I want more bosses

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I enjoyed Alan Wake a good deal. It's the first game in this style that I've been able to finish in a long, long time.

This is a textbook example of a game that would benefit from a sequel: the core ideas need elaboration and refinement to live up to their promise. I'd love to see an iteration with cleaned-up mechanics and more variety in the design. Alan Wake would also greatly benefit from restraint in exposition (read: the less of it the better).

faridmon

Ok, I have a problem here:

AW is quite cheap in my nearest Bluckbuster store (£20) and really i am intrested in this game as i am a sucker for great charactersatioin and good story telling.

The problem is that I am a full fledged coward. Scared of playing Horror games such as Siren, Resident Evil, silent Hill, ect...., how big is the Horror element in this game?

thanks.

Kifimbo

faridmon said:

AW is quite cheap in my nearest Bluckbuster store (£20) and really i am intrested in this game as i am a sucker for great charactersatioin and good story telling.

The problem is that I am a full fledged coward. Scared of playing Horror games such as Siren, Resident Evil, silent Hill, ect...., how big is the Horror element in this game?

thanks.

Not really scary. After having met the ennemis a few times, you won't be scared anymore. It's more tense than scary.

Majora

It really isn't very scary. It can be tense at times, in that you just can't wait to get to the next light source, and there are a couple of creepy moments, but I wouldn't really put it in the same category as the likes of Silent Hill or REmake it terms of scariness.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's not like any of those games. I can tell you that. I never found it to be that scary, just tense. The atmosphere and music comes together in a very creepy, ominous way and slowly walking through the dark woods while shining my flash light around had me on the edge of my seat at times but it never left me feeling like I needed to lock the front door and turn on the lights. I think Remedy managed to pull off what they were going for but it's not gonna give you any nightmares.

I personally wouldn't even consider it a horror game, it's a psychological thriller.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Borrowed this from a friend, and completed it in two days. Ordered the Limited Edition for myself yesterday. I felt the game more than deserves to get some of my money.

faridmon

Thanks, lads.

How tense is it though, RE4 level of intensity? Even though i finished that game (my favourite game of all time) It was really a challange to play it because of its ominus and creepy environment.

*sigh* I hate myself for being a coward...

Kifimbo

RE4 was more tense (IMO) because there were a lot more different ennemies. You didn't know what could be coming next. It might be Alan Wake biggest flaw.

faridmon

Kifimbo said:
RE4 was more tense (IMO) because there were a lot more different ennemies. You didn't know what could be coming next. It might be Alan Wake biggest flaw.
thanks. Then I'll get this game on monday.

sorry Bayonetta...

Just got the last achievement. Nightmare was a lot easier than I was expecting it to be... I think mostly because doing a runner for the safe havens left me with a lot more ammo than on my other runs. That, and I wasn't messing around looking for anything other than the manuscripts.

Enjoyed it quite a bit, though it's certainly flawed. Looking forward to the DLC.

Nils said:
Borrowed this from a friend, and completed it in two days. Ordered the Limited Edition for myself yesterday. I felt the game more than deserves to get some of my money.
This is my problem... I bought the game skeptically after some very enthusiastic praise from CheapyD on the CAGCast and it was $50 and came with a $10 credit anyway I wouldn't be out much if I didn't like it. I loved it. I wanna go back and tell myself to get the LE but I hate double-dipping... Argh! Hopefully I can pick up the LE for the extra content somewhere cheap down the line. =(

Eurocult

Just finished it a few minutes ago. Loved it. First 2 chapters were kind of a drag, but the game really picked up after that. Based on the low sales, do you think a sequel is a possibility?

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Am I doing something wrong or is the combat supposed to be shitty?

Can't believe I actually considered purchasing this. Glad I just rented it.

fernoca

Guts Of Thor said:
Am I doing something wrong or is the combat supposed to be shitty?

Can't believe I actually considered purchasing this. Glad I just rented it.
Doing something wrong..though define "shitty"... :p
You're not supposed to shoot at everything and heck, there are "enemies" that you just can't shoot at them. The key is using flashlight, flashbangs, and other items that emit light; and escape...shooting is secondary; just in case.

derFeef

fernoca said:
Doing something wrong..though define "shitty"... :p
You're not supposed to shoot at everything and heck, there are "enemies" that you just can't shoot at them. The key is using flashlight, flashbangs, and other items that emit light; and escape...shooting is secondary; just in case.
You are playing a different game.

acm2000

i finally got this last week, and wow, what a stunning game (dusk/night time), oozes atmosphere, just wish it was 720p as its quite noticeable.

now to play through on nightmare, cant help wishing there was a bit more freedom in some of the levels, but i still loved every second.

Dyno

Just finished Chapter Three. Taking my time with it. Three was a great level. Some good variety, twists and turns. Enjoying the game so far. It has a style, atmosphere, and pacing that other games don't.

fernoca

derFeef said:
You are playing a different game.
Psychotext said:
You can't shoot at poltergeists... and on Nightmare I found that a lot of the time it was smarter to run than try to shoot it out.
Exactly.
Is also one of the reasons it seems that ammo and items don't carry from episode to episode..you're just supposed to survive and escape with what you have...not stop and shoot at every enemy..a quick flahsbang to a bunch of enemies and running right as it explodes is more effective that aiming and shooting at each individual enemy.....is also why you get to find more batteries to destroy the darkness of the "human enemies"..so that they can't teleport and move faster.

Heck, 2 of the "difficult" achievements of the game are obtained by finishing 2 of the later episodes doing similar things: one not shooting anything and the other basically running and evading to finish it in under 30 minutes.

Doing my nightmare run now and holy shit, does this evading and escaping get INTENSE! :D Love it! Forget fighting most the time. Just GTFO!!!!!:lol

faridmon said:

thanks.

It's not very scary, but it doesn't have good story telling either, so I am not sure where that leaves you.

On the other hand, the atmosphere _is_ pretty good, although quite unoriginal.

that's just me, but if you can go beyond the horrible design, bayo has immensely better gameplay (an area where some in this thread - me included - find AW incredibly lacking).

Shurs

I finished the game last weekend.

What I liked:

I liked the atmosphere. Being in the forest with shadows dancing all around you as clouds passed overhead and trees danced in the wind was pretty cool.

I thought the gunplay was good. Remedy did a fine job of making the weapons feel like they had impact.

Best flashlight in games, though I have yet to play the latest Silent Hill game.

The story was fine. Not great, but certainly not horrible. It may have gotten a little convoluted near as it wore on, but I was genuinely interested in seeing where it was going.

Night Falls. These were good, campy fun.

Manuscript Pages. These were a fine collectible because they made sense within the game world and I liked how they foreshadowed what was coming.

What I didn't like:

Controlling Alan. Controlling Alan felt a half-step better than controlling Niko Bellic.

Game Logic. So, by the game's logic, I can make Alan run a very long distance, but once there's an enemy present Alan is gassed after six steps. It's a lame copout.

The textures. Low res textures everywhere. Sure, they're sometimes hidden in the dark, but they really stuck out, and they're everywhere. At one point, I came across a downed plane which had low-res texture representing a door. It felt very last gen. In the daylight, it all falls apart. It's a very inconsistent looking game.

There's a big difference between cutscene graphics and in-game graphics. Having consistency between the cutscenes and the gameplay graphics goes a long way towards want to make a game feel cohesive and cinematic. I know that cutscene models are better than gameplay models in MGS4 and the Uncharted games, but the disparity between gameplay and cinematic, plus how they blend together is much less jarring in those games than in Alan Wake.

Collectibles that take away from the atmosphere. Even though I'm nearly always peril, I can stop and watch a TV show or pick up collectible thermoses that add absolutely nothing to the game. Remedy got it right with the manuscript pages but got it wrong with the other collectibles.

This Is Not Twin Peaks. Had Remedy not mentioned the show themselves, I wouldn't bring this up. Though it may try, Alan Wake, does get anywhere near the tone and quality of the characters and setting in Twin Peaks. Nowhere near.

The HUD. Ugly, obtrusive, with no option to get rid of it.

Inconsistent Graphics. I have to question anyone who places this alongside the best looking games on consoles. At times it looks very nice, but the game is very inconsistent, the overall low res blurs the screen, the textures are often a mess and a lot of object in the game, including the trees, feel cheaply put together. A lot of the animation is bad, though, for the most part, the Taken animate really well. It's definitely not an ugly game. In fact, most of the time it looks good, but it certainly does not match up with the best of the day.

Overall I liked the game, but it's not a standout. I paid $35 for it and felt it was certainly worth it. Had I paid full price, I would have been disappointed. The game has very few adventure elements, it's very linear unless you're driving somewhere, and the driving stinks. Remedy definitely knows how to make a shooter, and I liked the episodic format, through Alone In The Dark did it first.

Any reviewers out there playing "The Signal" DLC currently? I know you probably can't talk much about it but just wanting some general impressions. Good,bad, more of the same, worth the wait? :D

Also in other news I got 1000gs for this bad boy yesterday.

Do the statistics stack across multiple playthroughs? As in if I have 999 kills at the end of this playthrough do I just need one more on another playthrough to get the achievement or does it start over from scratch?

Buttonbasher said:
Do the statistics stack across multiple playthroughs? As in if I have 999 kills at the end of this playthrough do I just need one more on another playthrough to get the achievement or does it start over from scratch?
Stats carry over.

Ricker

Isn`t the free stuff suppose to come out today? I don`t see anything on the Marketplace to redeem the code or something??

Flek

Banned
i just got my le today and started playing (just arrived at the end of episode 2) and so far i really like it.

But one thing i like to know - the book includet with the le…does it spoil anything or can i just start reading it? Or should i wait untill ive finished the game and then go into the book ?

0OoO0

Alan Wake The Signal Review @ IGN AU

IGN AU said:
The Signal picks up right where we left off, with Alan literally and figuratively going off the deep end. In the original game, elements of reality were mixed with dark apparitions and it always seemed as though Alan's psyche was ready to burst through the seams of the world. Without spoiling anything, I can safely say that in this episode the demented mind of Alan Wake takes full control. He must battle his demons across a shifting dreamscape that resembles the setting of Season One, only far more twisted, and a lot more interesting.

Alan faces familiar obstacles in The Signal including violently possessed objects and people. However, these threats are condensed into smaller, more interesting areas. The strange new environments have more interactive elements that add to a brand of combat that some people felt was too repetitive in Season One. Enemies are clustered more tightly together, there are more explosive elements, and Alan's written words have tumbled out into the world to act as item drops and puzzle triggers. In one section Alan's flashlight -- which has always acted as a shield from harm -- becomes a trigger to release more threats if the beam of light touches certain objects. In another, the flashlight can ignite explosions by passing over specially marked objects... it's amazing to me that these clever mechanics weren't in the original game.

Many elements of The Signal are surreal and difficult to summarize, but this added dose of insanity pushes the game to become more dense with action and ideas than the whole of original title. Unfortunately the add-on is only as long as one of the more succinct chapters from the full game. It's meant to be played in a sitting, and shouldn't take most players more than a single evening. There's hardly any dawdling in this add-on, it's all action and insanity -- and then it's over.

Closing Comments
As a free download, The Signal is certainly a treat. The story is as warped as ever with taught writing and a style that never becomes too self-serious. Even if Alan Wake didn’t thrill you on your first playthrough I still recommend giving this add-on a try.

9.0/10

http://au.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/110/1108147p1.html

Flek said:
i just got my le today and started playing (just arrived at the end of episode 2) and so far i really like it.

But one thing i like to know - the book includet with the le…does it spoil anything or can i just start reading it? Or should i wait untill ive finished the game and then go into the book ?
I'm not all the way through it, but it does seem to take place after/during the events of the game. I waited until I finished it to dig in.

Lunchbox

Banned
signal quick look - http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-alan-wake-the-signal/17-2962/

brad says its pretty long too. looks sick.

wEGRK.png

gdt

Just finished Chapter 4, and it was awesome.

3 was paced terribly though, and put me off the game for a few days (plus I bought a few more games).

Aspiring

So even though i have had this since day 1, i finally got around to playing this. And it is utterly amazing. Graphics are amazing, save for some tearing, atmosphere and sound are top notch, and as i was playing i did find it scary. Just finished chapter 1 and cant wait to play chapter 2.

Glad to hear The Signal is good. I'm glad they're taking some different angles with the downloadable episodes so they're much different from the ones on the disc.

Top Bottom