• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

derFeef

Alan Wake is just too good to me. Just recieved a mini Alan Wake Flashlight. Won through the "first 500 to use this gamerpic...." contest. :D

pubba

I played the first 20 minutes of this game and then turned it off.

I'm going to wait till I have a decent display and sound setup. Playing a game like this on a 34cm CRT is just plain wrong...

pubba said:
I played the first 20 minutes of this game and then turned it off.

I'm going to wait till I have a decent display and sound setup. Playing a game like this on a 34cm CRT is just plain wrong...

It might actually be a plus. The 34" CRT might hide all the blurriness and weird grid patterns in the middle of the fog by making you think that's the TV's fault.

RedRedSuit said:
It might actually be a plus. The 34" CRT might hide all the blurriness and weird grid patterns in the middle of the fog by making you think that's the TV's fault.

OH SNAP STEALTH TROLL MODE.

Comon.

Littleberu said:
OH SNAP STEALTH TROLL MODE.

Comon.

Criticism is not (necessarily) trolling. Neither is making an off-hand comment like that. It's also a fact that using an SD TV (assuming his CRT is SD) helps lower resolutions look better -- which look especially bad on nice big HD screens.

Anyway, let's not do this.

jergrah

I ordered this when it originally released -- but was caught up with RDR and also had a bunch of family in town visiting, so it sat on the backburner for a bit. I finally got around to starting it this past weekend, have played through the first 3 episodes so far and LOVE IT. Im really digging the setting in the Pacific Northwest and just wondering around the woods in the dark. Cant wait to see how the story progresses from where Im at now.

Comments like that really do make me wonder how much coming out the same day as RDR hurt Alan Wake. I know I picked up both at the same time, and knew RDR would take longer to finish I started Alan Wake and throughly enjoyed it - then went onto RDR and enjoyed the hell out of that as well. But most people don't have $130 to drop on games on one day, nor the time to play both either.

I normally wouldn't care, but I really love what Remedy did with this game. The world they created, the story they are telling - that I want to see a sequel and that requires good sales. While I would have hated to wait till now for the game to come out, looking at the last few weeks, and next few weeks of games coming out - this would have been the perfect time. It would be after the vast majority of gamers are finished with RDR, and MS could have used E3 to re-highlight the game yet again, renew interest in it.

Keep the DLC date the same and then just after most people have finished up the game the first episode of DLC, that's free for those who bought it, is out. It just seems like a smarter window, and really makes me wonder why MS decided to put Alan Wake out on the same day as RDR.

Still, fingers crossed the DLC causes a bump in interest for the game again, and that we do eventually get a sequel.

Dude Abides

Banned
Just wrapped up. B+ I say.

I would have liked a little more exposition about where the Dark Presence and
the Lady in Black
came from and what exactly it/they wanted to do beyond become more powerful and be generally sinister. Also, how and why
did Zane get a diving helmet full of lights
- I may have missed that as I played some parts drunk.

eshwaaz

Red Mercury said:
Comments like that really do make me wonder how much coming out the same day as RDR hurt Alan Wake. I know I picked up both at the same time, and knew RDR would take longer to finish I started Alan Wake and throughly enjoyed it - then went onto RDR and enjoyed the hell out of that as well. But most people don't have $130 to drop on games on one day, nor the time to play both either.

I normally wouldn't care, but I really love what Remedy did with this game. The world they created, the story they are telling - that I want to see a sequel and that requires good sales. While I would have hated to wait till now for the game to come out, looking at the last few weeks, and next few weeks of games coming out - this would have been the perfect time. It would be after the vast majority of gamers are finished with RDR, and MS could have used E3 to re-highlight the game yet again, renew interest in it.

Keep the DLC date the same and then just after most people have finished up the game the first episode of DLC, that's free for those who bought it, is out. It just seems like a smarter window, and really makes me wonder why MS decided to put Alan Wake out on the same day as RDR.

Still, fingers crossed the DLC causes a bump in interest for the game again, and that we do eventually get a sequel.
I completely agree with all of this. The day that Rockstar moved the RDR release to the same date as Alan Wake, MS should have pushed it back. Putting an exclusive new IP up against the latest open-world game from "the GTA guys" was just not a good idea.

Numpt3

Dude Abides said:
Also, how and why
did Zane get a diving helmet full of lights
- I may have missed that as I played some parts drunk.

Taken from the Alan Wake wiki: Thomas Zane was an avid diver and he dove in the lake on a regular basis; thus the small island he lived on came to be known as Diver's Isle. As his final act, he put on his diving suit, took the possessed form of Barbara and jumped into the lake while holding her tight.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Broadbandito said:
just in case others don't know yet. Alan Wake will be $34.99 at kmart this next week starting Sunday.

That's like the perfect price for Wake.
All the peoples concerned about replay value should feel at ease buying it at that price, for shure. Plus, my sweet precious REMEDY GAMES needs your donations.

Snuggler said:
That's like the perfect price for Wake.
All the peoples concerned about replay value should feel at ease buying it at that price, for shure. Plus, my sweet precious REMEDY GAMES needs your donations.

Theres no excuse to not buy it at 35 if your on the fence. Yes, more people support remedy. All I want is more from them!

Am just about to jump in to this game, installed to the hard drive and saw that there were some free downloadable videos. Turned out to be the Bright Falls webisodes, jesus christ, those were awesome! high quality, makes me want more!

I've heard from multiple, multiple sources that Normal difficulty is too easy and that the proper difficulty to start on is Hard. I'm really leery of this but have decided to go for it, I don't want this experience short changed

Quincey

Banned
Gryphter said:
Am just about to jump in to this game, installed to the hard drive and saw that there were some free downloadable videos. Turned out to be the Bright Falls webisodes, jesus christ, those were awesome! high quality, makes me want more!

I've heard from multiple, multiple sources that Normal difficulty is too easy and that the proper difficulty to start on is Hard. I'm really leery of this but have decided to go for it, I don't want this experience short changed

Go with hard. You won't regret it.

gdt

I'll be picking this up first thing tomorrow.

Can't wait to break in my new HDTV with this (...and a shitton of other games I'm playing right now).

Edit: I'm starting with Hard, you guys better be right!

eshwaaz

gdt5016 said:
I'll be picking this up first thing tomorrow.

Can't wait to break in my new HDTV with this (...and a shitton of other games I'm playing right now).

Edit: I'm starting with Hard, you guys better be right!
I beat it on Normal and thought that it was just right, but I was playing for the atmosphere and story, not the challenge. Plus, the combat gets really repetitive by the end.

Just rented this. I haven't been this drawn to a game's story and atmosphere since Bioshock. It's really a great game.

Although, one thing I'm worried about is that the combat will get kind of repetitive. Oh well, the story will most likely make up for it.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
It's going to be fun when we'll all play the game and you'll be there still commenting it. How many posts do you have in this thread ? Too many for someone who will never play this game that's for sure.

LordPhoque said:
Not really, he's just representative of console war as its worst (if there is a "best" side). Alan Wake must really piss him off, I mean flooding a thread for a game you have no interest in like that... shameful shit.

chandoog said:
You don't love the game, you don't have the system it's on, you're not even sure whether you'll want to buy either the game or system, what are you even doing in the thread then ? :lol

AdventureRacing said:
There are others like shurs for example. He has posted 58 times in this thread despite not owning a 360 (as far as im aware) and having no interest in the game whatsoever.

I got it!

30w44zq.jpg

I'm at the beginning of Chapter 3 right now, holy smokes I love this game! Playing on hard like you guys recommended and glad I made the decision, it feels just right. So the 2 DLC chapters are meant to be played after the main game, correct? Sometimes that isn't clear and I just want to make sure... like the Heavy Rain DLC I was terrified of because I wasn't sure if it'd spoil the main game, which it didn't, but I want to be sure with AW. Not like it's out yet or anything though

RedRedSuit said:
Criticism is not (necessarily) trolling. Neither is making an off-hand comment like that. It's also a fact that using an SD TV (assuming his CRT is SD) helps lower resolutions look better -- which look especially bad on nice big HD screens.

Anyway, let's not do this.

played on a 42"HD TV and I didn't notice any bluriness or weird grid pattern in the fog.

There were moments when the game looked incredibly soft, but not blurry or grid patterns. Guy is just making shit up.

:/

Shurs

So I just finished Episode One.

Due to its inconsistency, I don't think the game deserves to be in the conversation when talking about the best looking console games. The lighting looks really good, and the fog looks great, but the character models animate oddly, the lip-syncing is off and the low-res image shimmers a bit. That being said, it's still a really good looking game. Very atmospheric.

I like the combat. I'm hoping that I'll eventually find some stringer flashlight batteries, as I go through them too quickly.

One thing that I wish is that Remedy had included the option to remove the obtrusive HUD. Any chance of Remedy patching in that option?

Another thing I wish they'd handled better was the collectibles and easter eggs. For example, Alan is trying to escape supernatural killers yet, if I want to see everything I have to make him pause to watch a TV show or listen to a radio program. If you were being chased through the dark woods, would you go off path to find manuscript pages or thermoses? What purpose do the thermoses serve anyway?

I'm excited to see where the story goes from here

Clay Davis said:
played on a 42"HD TV and I didn't notice any bluriness or weird grid pattern in the fog.

There were moments when the game looked incredibly soft, but not blurry or grid patterns. Guy is just making shit up.

:/

Making shit up? Uh, no. I played throught it on a 46". It looked blurry (a synonym for soft, as far as I know) the entire time, and the weird grid-like dithering in the fog was there the ENTIRE time in the forest night time scenes. I mean I could take a photograph, but what's the point? It's there and right in one's face.

I had no desire to talk about this further and wanted to let people talk about the game without raining on anyone's parade, but I don't like being called a liar.

desertdroog

And my backlog just got larger. Picked this up at K-Mart during their sale this weekend along with Singularity.

Can't wait to check it out.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finished the game, loved every minute of it. The story was pretty amazing in how it unfolds, and the Hard difficulty provided enough challenge. Even the fetch quest bonus items were fun to collect. My only critique is that the game seemed a bit "small", in terms of diversity. But overall, amazing experience.

Having seen the finale, I can't imagine how the DLC or the potential sequel would build on the story. The story seems pretty well contained as is.

Mifune

Mehmber
Finshed Episode Five last night. I said goddamn.

Four and Five were really great. My interest was starting to wane around part Three but it's back. Hoping for Remedy to stick the landing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Just watched the unreleased X06 trailer of Alan Wake from the extras. God damn, it's quite probably the best trailer of the game ever made. It had a different, much darker, more surreal ambience. I would have loved to play that version of the game.

Not sure if it's ok to link to the trailer here, but it's not hard to find.

Shurs

So I'm a short way into Chapter 3 now and I just ran into
an FBI Agent who, in spite of Alan having done nothing illegal, starts shooting.
What the fuck is this shit?

Mifune said:
Finshed Episode Five last night. I said goddamn.

Four and Five were really great. My interest was starting to wane around part Three but it's back. Hoping for Remedy to stick the landing.

If you like your mystery games 'mysterious', you shouldn't be disappointed!

mujun

Shurs said:
Another thing I wish they'd handled better was the collectibles and easter eggs. For example, Alan is trying to escape supernatural killers yet, if I want to see everything I have to make him pause to watch a TV show or listen to a radio program. If you were being chased through the dark woods, would you go off path to find manuscript pages or thermoses? What purpose do the thermoses serve anyway?

I'm excited to see where the story goes from here

I personally don't mind the way the collectibles are done (apart from the fact that the don't let you know which things you've already found/haven't found with any of them bar the thermoses). The ones that seem to break the game's fiction (thermoses for example) are there for people who want to get more out of the game time wise than just a story focused run through. The chests are more in line with what you are describing, they don't break the fiction as they provide much needed equipment and fit well into the fiction.

Shurs

mujun said:
I personally don't mind the way the collectibles are done (apart from the fact that the don't let you know which things you've already found/haven't found with any of them bar the thermoses). The ones that seem to break the game's fiction (thermoses for example) are there for people who want to get more out of the game time wise than just a story focused run through. The chests are more in line with what you are describing, they don't break the fiction as they provide much needed equipment and fit well into the fiction.

More than that, it's the TV and radio shows I want to watch so I don't miss anything, but any person in their right mind would just run past if they were being chased by the Taken.

mujun

Shurs said:
More than that, it's the TV and radio shows I want to watch so I don't miss anything, but any person in their right mind would just run past if they were being chased by the Taken.

It's up to you not to break the game's fiction. To me collectibles in a lot of cases are like achievements, you can either get them without trying (and just enjoy the game for what it is at it's core) or you can go out of your way to get them and put the game's pacing, story, etc to the side.

You could argue that good collectibles would be well implemented into the fiction but personally I like both ways as they offer different things. I often appreciate the added replay value of "fiction breaking" collectibles.

big_z

going to trade blur in for this tomorrow. tried to do so tonight but the asshats at EB closed before 5 for some reason.

wish the game was on sale somewhere in canada... cant use my microsoft expert zone thing anymore either since i dont have a recent bestbuy paystub(dont work there anymore). :(

Shurs

mujun said:
It's up to you not to break the game's fiction. To me collectibles in a lot of cases are like achievements, you can either get them without trying (and just enjoy the game for what it is at it's core) or you can go out of your way to get them and put the game's pacing, story, etc to the side.

You could argue that good collectibles would be well implemented into the fiction but personally I like both ways as they offer different things. I often appreciate the added replay value of "fiction breaking" collectibles.

I just think Remedy could have done a better job of implementing this collectibles into the world.

Shurs

LordPhoque said:
Glad (and sorry) I was wrong. Hope you'll enjoy it.

I am, so far. I do feel that, in playing the game, my earlier opinion of the graphics has kind of been redeemed. It looks really good in places, not good in others. Lighting and fog aside, the game is really uneven graphically. It's still a good looking game, but, in my opinion, it's not amongst the best.

But, as we talked about before, graphics don't equal fun. The atmosphere is really good, I like the shooting mechanic and, FBI guy's trigger happy nature aside, I'm enjoying the story. I'm sure I'll play through the game pretty quickly, as I am interested to see where it goes.

Kind of regretting starting my first game on hard mode. Kind of making me want to throw the controller through the TV in some (many) parts. I also really don't like the way the manuscript reading is so broken up, like you have to enter-exit for every page. The setting and lighting are kind of awesome, the writing not so much. Overall I'm glad I'm just borrowing this from a friend; I would have been disappointed if I'd paid $50-60 for it.

MomoPufflet said:
Kind of regretting starting my first game on hard mode. Kind of making me want to throw the controller through the TV in some (many) parts. I also really don't like the way the manuscript reading is so broken up, like you have to enter-exit for every page. The setting and lighting are kind of awesome, the writing not so much. Overall I'm glad I'm just borrowing this from a friend; I would have been disappointed if I'd paid $50-60 for it.
At first it tends to be a bit difficult until you manage to pull off the dodge on command. Once you've got that down you'll hardly have any use for firearms even on Nightmare.
Also don't bother going out of your way to collect every single collectible during your first playthrough, just enjoy it for what it's worth.

Jeff Stephen said:
At first it tends to be a bit difficult until you manage to pull off the dodge on command. Once you've got that down you'll hardly have any use for firearms even on Nightmare.
Also don't bother going out of your way to collect every single collectible during your first playthrough, just enjoy it for what it's worth.

How do you deal with being chased by multiple enemies with no ammo? I try to turn around and flashlight them but it feels very cumbersome-- I dunno. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I am able to avoid one enemy pretty well, but when there are 3-4 I get destroyed without guns.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There was one part, I think it's in the 2nd chapter, where you have to get from light to light while a big group of bad guys come at you and you don't have enough ammo to kill them all. It's a pain but sprinting and frequently stopping to shine on them is all you can do.

You should be able to get the hang of the combat before too long, by the time I finished my first playthrough on Hard I had mastered the combat system. Moving up to Nightmare was easy peasy. The dodging is a little awkward at first but I got the hang of it and it became 2nd nature pretty quickly and once you see how many shots it takes to kill the various types of infected you shouldn't have much problems with running out of ammo. It also helps to get the grenade type items like flares, they help a lot with holding off the big crowds.

MomoPufflet said:
How do you deal with being chased by multiple enemies with no ammo? I try to turn around and flashlight them but it feels very cumbersome-- I dunno. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I am able to avoid one enemy pretty well, but when there are 3-4 I get destroyed without guns.

If you're getting destroyed and have no ammo (which should be rare), chances are you can easily get to the next safe haven by simply running.

Top Bottom