• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is Alan Wake. I'm a writer. |OT|

mujun

Shurs said:
I am, so far. I do feel that, in playing the game, my earlier opinion of the graphics has kind of been redeemed. It looks really good in places, not good in others. Lighting and fog aside, the game is really uneven graphically. It's still a good looking game, but, in my opinion, it's not amongst the best.

But, as we talked about before, graphics don't equal fun. The atmosphere is really good, I like the shooting mechanic and, FBI guy's trigger happy nature aside, I'm enjoying the story. I'm sure I'll play through the game pretty quickly, as I am interested to see where it goes.

I think it's the type of game that looks amazing at points (many points I found) but you can tear apart technically.

I think it definitely shines in terms of art design. Not so much in graphics tech.

Shurs

mujun said:
I think it's the type of game that looks amazing at points

I definitely agree with you there. There were times when the game looked excellent.

This is probably all I should talk about the graphics until I finish the game. There is enough good stuff happening with the game for me to negatively harp on the graphics. I was insufferable in that other thread.

MomoPufflet said:
How do you deal with being chased by multiple enemies with no ammo? I try to turn around and flashlight them but it feels very cumbersome-- I dunno. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? I am able to avoid one enemy pretty well, but when there are 3-4 I get destroyed without guns.
Without giving away too much, with the larger enemies you'll wanna blind them with the flash light and bolt outta there just as they're recovering. As your running use the flashlight to keep the rest of Taken away and if they're a little too close for comfort then flashbang or use a flare until you reach a safe haven but you really shouldn't be using more than one of each. I should also note jumping is a good way to evade the Taken while Alan is fatigued.

RedSwirl

Game is on-sale at Kmart for $35 this week. Why is it worth that much to me?

How atmospheric is this game compared to say, a Silent Hill title? If I get Alan Wake I'm primarily going into it for the adventure elements.

RedSwirl said:
Game is on-sale at Kmart for $35 this week. Why is it worth that much to me?

How atmospheric is this game compared to say, a Silent Hill title? If I get Alan Wake I'm primarily going into it for the adventure elements.
the atmosphere and adventure elements are well worth your cash, $35 is a great deal

Started playing this over the weekend. I hafta admit, I'm not feeling it as much as I expected to. I don't know what it is, I think maybe the combat's just not clicking for me too much.

I'm currently in Episode 3, probably near the end if I had to guess, and I imagine I'll play it through. I guess I'm finding it just not as fun as Max Payne was.

Story's okay I guess- can't say that it's really grabbed me, but I don't mind it.

Hopefully there'll be some variation added to the mechanics to keep it interesting.

cantona222

I just beat the game.
I really liked the story. I don't remember the last time I got immersed that much in a game.

What about "The Signal" DLC? is it worth it? and What DLC can I download with the code coming with the game?

derFeef

cantona222 said:
I just beat the game.
I really liked the story. I don't remember the last time I got immersed that much in a game.

What about "The Signal" DLC? is it worth it? and What DLC can I download with the code coming with the game?
The Signal is coming for free with the code you have on July 27th.

Mifune

Mehmber
Beat the game last night. So much to say but overall I liked it. I really liked it.

It's definitely a game that you could nitpick to death, from its repetitive and shallow combat to its sometimes silly story. But it rises above all of its faults, becoming something much greater than its individual parts.

The story is so convoluted and ridiculous but it works. I didn't understand all of it (or even much of it) but it still managed to be completely gripping from beginning to end. The combat is tense and exciting, and maybe one of the reasons I knock it for repetition is because it freaks me out a little, and I just want to GET OUT OF THERE.

But the atmosphere is where Alan Wake really just kills it. The radio and TV shows are just perfect. The shadows and lighting always have me wondering if that swaying underbrush is a knife-wielding Taken or just the breeze. Every element of the presentation is spot-on.

It's a tough game to sum up, and it will take me a while to really process the whole experience. I had loads of issues, and was seriously thinking of checking out during the endless run-to-the-light sequences of Episode Three, but the set pieces in Four and Five were incredible and incredibly fun. And honestly, by the end of the game I was kind of shaken in ways that I can't really put my finger on, ways that videogames rarely do. That's gotta count for something.

Mifune said:
Beat the game last night. So much to say but overall I liked it. I really liked it.

It's definitely a game that you could nitpick to death, from its repetitive and shallow combat to its sometimes silly story. But it rises above all of its faults, becoming something much greater than its individual parts.

The story is so convoluted and ridiculous but it works. I didn't understand all of it (or even much of it) but it still managed to be completely gripping from beginning to end. The combat is tense and exciting, and maybe one of the reasons I knock it for repetition is because it freaks me out a little, and I just want to GET OUT OF THERE.

But the atmosphere is where Alan Wake really just kills it. The radio and TV shows are just perfect. The shadows and lighting always have me wondering if that swaying underbrush is a knife-wielding Taken or just the breeze. Every element of the presentation is spot-on.

It's a tough game to sum up, and it will take me a while to really process the whole experience. I had loads of issues, and was seriously thinking of checking out during the endless run-to-the-light sequences of Episode Three, but the set pieces in Four and Five were incredible and incredibly fun. And honestly, by the end of the game I was kind of shaken in ways that I can't really put my finger on, ways that videogames rarely do. That's gotta count for something.

That's exactly where I am at the moment. Glad to hear it picks up.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Shurs said:
What adventure elements?
I assume he's talking about the day-time sections and occasional down-moments during the night to walk around and collect your bearings or do a puzzle or something.

I've been playing Alan Wake all night and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this game was inspired by the first 5 minutes of E.T. The rustling ferns, huge trees, night time setting, police car lights in the forest, torch beams in the forest, fog everywhere.

Shurs

Rez said:
I assume he's talking about the day-time sections and occasional down-moments during the night to walk around and collect your bearings or do a puzzle or something.

I guess I haven't run into any puzzles or anything. I walked around a diner, a cabin, an apartment and a trailer park. Not a whole lot of adventuring thus far. I'm in Chapter 3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
don't expect anything too crazy. it gets a LITTLE more in-depth as it goes on.

Just realized that I forgot the code for The Signal in my dorm room, and I won't be back there for quite a while. Didn't want to carry my LE around so I just brought the disc with me during summer. Guess I'll have to buy it then, which now that I think about it isn't that bad, I'll gladly give the money to Remedy. Alan Wake deserves it.

(but still, argh!)

fernoca

cantona222 said:
Does it mean that I can either buy "The Signal DLC" now, or wait until July 27th to get it for free by using the code?
Nope, it only means that The Signal will be released on July 27.
And people with the code get it for free; while the ones that don't have a code have to pay $7 (560 MS Points).

Shurs said:
I guess I haven't run into any puzzles or anything. I walked around a diner, a cabin, an apartment and a trailer park. Not a whole lot of adventuring thus far. I'm in Chapter 3.
Yeah, exploration is considered as an "adventure element".
You don't have to go directly from point A to point B....plus there are the manuscripts, thermos, the hidden chests, TV shows, etc...

Whoompthereitis said:
Started playing this over the weekend. I hafta admit, I'm not feeling it as much as I expected to. I don't know what it is, I think maybe the combat's just not clicking for me too much.

I'm currently in Episode 3, probably near the end if I had to guess, and I imagine I'll play it through. I guess I'm finding it just not as fun as Max Payne was.

Story's okay I guess- can't say that it's really grabbed me, but I don't mind it.

Hopefully there'll be some variation added to the mechanics to keep it interesting.
One of the game's biggest problems. Also I never want to see another forest again ever in the world of AW.
Also new achievements worth a total of 250 are viewable on Xbox.com.

A Friend in Need - 25G
Special 1: Find someone to help you.

A Friend Indeed - 50G
Special 1: Follow the signal to its conclusion.

Fast and Furious - 25G
Special 1: Make it through the final battle in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds.

Words Will Never Harm You - 25G
Special 1: Trigger all of the furnaces in the basement.

Run-On Sentence - 50G
Special 1: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint.

License Revoked - 20G
Special 1: Complete the episode without using a single vehicle.

Tick Tock - 30G
Special 1: Discover 10 hidden alarm clocks.

Cardboard Companions - 25G
Special 1: Discover all of the cardboard standees.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Jeff Stephen said:
One of the game's biggest problems. Also I never want to see another forest again ever in the world of AW.
Also new achievements worth a total of 250 are viewable on Xbox.com.

Run-On Sentence - 50G
Special 1: Complete the episode without reloading the game or restarting a checkpoint.

Makes me think, it's gonna be short.

Ramirez

I bought this at K-Mart with the whole sale and everything. I just put it in my Xbox a minute ago and I thought my box was about to explode, I've never had a game make this much noise...? I hope my Xbox isn't on its way out. :(

Ramirez said:
I bought this at K-Mart with the whole sale and everything. I just put it in my Xbox a minute ago and I thought my box was about to explode, I've never had a game make this much noise...? I hope my Xbox isn't on its way out. :(

Lots of people have mentioned this. For some reason this specific game is loud as hell.

fernoca

Buttonbasher said:
I expect it to be the same length as a normal game chapter.
Yep, they already confirmed it was going to last between 1 to 2 hours..which was the average length of each episode.

Feindflug

PC version incoming? a PC version of the game is ready for pre-order in a well-known banned here on gaf retailer from England.

The game is supposed to come out at 09/03 - If this is true I certainly didn't expect the PC version to come out only 3 months after the 360 version...

fernoca said:
Nope, it only means that The Signal will be released on July 27.
And people with the code get it for free; while the ones that don't have a code have to pay $7 (560 MS Points).
That's a great price, judging from what we've seen so far. But the second "special feature" is 1200 points, right? Interesting.

Feindflug

Brother Sport said:
That's a great price, judging from what we've seen so far. But the second "special feature" is 1200 points, right? Interesting.

IIRC both DLC's were confirmed to be 560 points...are you sure the second DLC will be 1200 points?

Just finished first episode and I like it so far. Combat is not clicking though.

My main gripe is that the game is not making clear how flashlight and weapons are acting in relation to one another. I don't understand exactly when I'm supposed to stop focusing the flashlight on enemies and I'm under the impression that I use more bullets than necessary on regular ones (4 or 5).

Shurs

BaronLundi said:
Just finished first episode and I like it so far. Combat is not clicking though.

My main gripe is that the game is not making clear how flashlight and weapons are acting in relation to one another. I don't understand exactly when I'm supposed to stop focusing the flashlight on enemies and I'm under the impression that I use more bullets than necessary on regular ones (4 or 5).

Focus the flashlight on enemies until the light "pops," then shoot them. If you're playing on normal, it should take 1-2 shots to take down most enemies.

Shurs said:
Focus the flashlight on enemies until the light "pops," then shoot them. If you're playing on normal, it should take 1-2 shots to take down most enemies.

also, there will be a circle of light that closes in on the enemy as you focus light on them. Once this circle gets so small it disappears, that's when their shield of shadows will pop and vanish

Feindflug

BaronLundi said:

When you point your flashlight to an enemy you will see a circle, continue to point the flashlight to the enemy until this circle disappears then the darkness is not protecting the enemy and is vulnerable to your guns - don't waste ammo before the circle disappears, you're not doing any damage to the enemies.

Beaten. :p

Shurs

Is it just me, or does it seem like Alan can sprint forever, but once an enemy appears on screen he can only take four steps before getting winded?

skyfinch

Shurs said:
Is it just me, or does it seem like Alan can sprint forever, but once an enemy appears on screen he can only take four steps before getting winded?

No, the man needs a treadmill in his NY apartment. Even without enemies, he runs like a 500lbs man trying to get first in line at a salad bar.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
so i just picked i back up on nightmare for a third play through..and i think every time i play it i like it more. Getting all the side trinkets (thermos and pages) on this run.

Salz01

Finally finished the game last night. I just find this game weird. I cared for Alice and the story right at the beginning, but then everything seemed to start gratting on my nerves around the start of Chapter 4. I love dark forests as much as the next person in my spooky movies and games, but in this game, I wanted to just end the game. I feel if they kept the story a little simplier, it would have resonated with me more. Also moving the fog and the clouds faster every time a mob was about to come kind of took the edge off. I just kind of stood there ready to point and shoot and had this 'Lets get this over with' mentality just to get to the next light post. I like the graphics and atmosphere, but this game is better played in short bursts than as a straight play through. (IMHO)

Wooo! Just beat the game, loved every minute of it. You guys were right, Hard difficulty was the way to go. To be honest it wasn't very hard at all, felt more like what Normal should be. I got the game as a gift and I'm super appreciative (thanks gf!) but I kinda wish I got the Collector's edition, ah well

Anybody else wish that the Bright Falls prequel webisodes were made into a TV series for real? I would watch that religiously. Are there any TV shows, Stephen King or not, that has the same vibe as the webisodes or the game? Twilight Zone, Twin Peaks?

Anxiously awaiting the DLC, keep it coming, Remedy!

fernoca

Feindflug said:
IIRC both DLC's were confirmed to be 560 points...are you sure the second DLC will be 1200 points?
Both are 560 Microsoft Points...though both appear as 800 MS Points in the game; but they confirmed the 560 price.

So I have completed the game entirely once on hard though I have replayed episodes 1-5 at least 3 times. I still have to play through the game on nightmare and collect the nightmare manuscript pages and then I'll have 1000 this bad boy! Definetly my favorite game released this year so far.

I borrowed this from a friend, and got to Chapter 4 before I broke down and ordered the Limited Edition (which I just realized will be my first boxed game purchase this year). The limited edition package just looks SO amazing. Can anyone clarify what's included on the soundtrack disc though (licensed music/score)? The song in Chapter 4 (the one on the record) was really good.

Top Bottom