• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My new electric guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Well, I finally fuckin did it. I went out and bought an electric guitar like I've wanted to for so long. Only dicked around with a guitar a couple times before, but I've got enough musical experience under my belt that I should be able to pick it up relatively easily.

Anyways, I got it used for $320, although it's pretty much in brand new condition. The guy said the new ones are between $600-700 or so.

Pics!

guitar1.JPG

guitar4.JPG

http://etisnomad.com/misc-files/guitar5.JPG

http://etisnomad.com/misc-files/guitar2.JPG

http://etisnomad.com/misc-files/guitar3.JPG

Plus, got an amp for $120. Certainly not the best one they had, but I didn't need anything fancy.

Now all I have to do is learn to play the damn thing. Until then, I'll invite girls over to my room, they'll see the guitar, I'll tell them I'm play amazingly, but I'll wear a brace around my wrist because I "sprained it" so they'll have to take my word for it.

demon

fart said:
you play piano or something right?

good luck with the guitar.
Piano and violin. I can already sorta pluck out any not-too-complicated melody I want....kinda slowly.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
soakrates said:
A PRS for $320? You really made out. Those are nice guitars.

It's a Tremonti PRS. Yes, it's worth $600, but nah he didn't really luck out. It's still a great axe, though and I hope you enjoy it. I too just got a new axe.

demon

So a PRS is really that good huh? Awesome. The guy was saying it's a really good deal and he was thinking of doing a trade-in for this guitar. At that point I put a smug grin on my face and said "I'll take it!".

ballhog

Looks nice, I'm not a huge fan of PRS, but I'm really only familliar with the obscenely overpriced ones, they make a quality guitar though. Congratulations. $320 is a reasonable price for a proper guitar. You will be glad you diddn't get a cheap new one. And that amp should be fine for practice and whatnot.

What did you get Alpha?

I'm new to guitar so I don't really know/understand all of the differences and what makes 'Brand X' better than 'Brand Y', but it looks nice :p.

AlphaSnake

demon said:
So a PRS is really that good huh? Awesome. The guy was saying it's a really good deal and he was thinking of doing a trade-in for this guitar. At that point I put a smug grin on my face and said "I'll take it!".

Yeah, it's actually worth $420 retail. But based on those pics the condition of that guitar is really solid, so you did get a pretty good deal.

AlphaSnake

ballhog said:
Looks nice, I'm not a huge fan of PRS, but I'm really only familliar with the obscenely overpriced ones, they make a quality guitar though. Congratulations. $320 is a reasonable price for a proper guitar. You will be glad you diddn't get a cheap new one. And that amp should be fine for practice and whatnot.

What did you get Alpha?

I hope Demon doesn't mind me posting my pics here, since it's his thread and all. But this is it:

c2.jpg

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

It's a Schecter C1 Classic.

demon

Can someone explain why there are two volume and two tone knobs on mine? What's the difference between them?

the two volume knobs are for each of the pick ups. Since I'm pretty sure that it's a passive guitar, the tone knobs determine whether you want the treble at it's maximum on either pickup, or to cut the treble by rolling the knob back. If you had an active guitar (has a pre-amp inside powered by a 9v battery), you'd be able to boost the treble more than what you actually got.

So in short, the volume knobs are for each pick up, Tone knobs cut the treble.

ballhog

One volume and tone for each pickup, the switch switches the pickups, as you might imagine, and the middle position turns on both pickups. Just screw around with the switches and knobs, there are lots of possibilities.

And that looks pretty sweet Alpha, never played a Schecter, But I've heard good things. Can't find a decent pic of my guitar online oddly enough. oh well.

AlphaSnake

demon said:
Can someone explain why there are two volume and two tone knobs on mine? What's the difference between them?

You see how you have a 3-way selector switch at the top of the body? When the selector switch is down, you're using the bridge pickup (pickup where the strings slide through). When it's all the way up, you're using the neck pickup which is near...the neck (fretboard). The bridge pickup is what you wanna' use when you're going to play something like Nirvana. The neck pickup is what you use when you're going to play something closer to...Sex Pistols (I guess) -- the neck pickup has a more droned out/hollow sound to it, as opposed to the full, cutting sound of the bridge. When the selector is in the middle, you are, of course, using both pickups together.

The knobs control the pitch, tone,bass and volume for each of the pickups. What's *GREAT* about having four knobs is that you can set them so that you can get an accoustic-like sound when your selector is up, and a heavy sound when it's down. So with the flick of a switch, you can go from soft and nice, to heavy and distorted (granted your amp has overdrive or some sort of distortion active).

Did that make any sense? :p

demon

Alphasnake said:
You see how you have a 3-way selector switch at the top of the body? When the selector switch is down, you're using the bridge pickup (pickup where the strings slide through). When it's all the way up, you're using the neck pickup which is near...the neck (fretboard). The bridge pickup is what you wanna' use when you're going to play something like Nirvana. The neck pickup is what you use when you're going to play something closer to...Sex Pistols (I guess) -- the neck pickup has a more droned out/hollow sound to it, as opposed to the full, cutting sound of the bridge. When the selector is in the middle, you are, of course, using both pickups together.

The knobs control the pitch, tone,bass and volume for each of the pickups. What's *GREAT* about having four knobs is that you can set them so that you can get an accoustic-like sound when your selector is up, and a heavy sound when it's down. So with the flick of a switch, you can go from soft and nice, to heavy and distorted (granted your amp has overdrive or some sort of distortion active).

Did that make any sense? :p
Alright, so I kinda get it, but not quite get how to use them, though. How would I set the knobs to get an acoustic sound, for example?

AlphaSnake

demon said:
Alright, so I kinda get it, but not quite get how to use them, though. How would I set the knobs to get an acoustic sound, for example?

Position the switch all the way up. Now, probably the top two knobs control the bridge pickup, so want you want to do is turn the tone knob all the way up (that gives you a sharper and cleaner sound), and the volume knob down to the 1-2 area (a little more if it sounds too faint). And strum a few cords and see how it sounds.

ballhog

Yeah, your bridge pickup, the one closer to th neck of the guitar is going to give you a warmer fuller tone, gennerally better for a clean or "acoustic" sound. The one closer to the bridge is a bit harsher, better suited to a distorted tone. But you should definitely experiment alot to find the sounds you like.

Also, just because I love it, here is a terrible picture of my guitar.
s-300d.jpg

S-300D!

btw Demon, you might want to pick up a gig-bag (if you didn't get one) or something to keep the guitar in. So the finish doesn't get all yucky with dust, random accidents, etc.

I keep my bass in it's case any time I'm not using it. And (if you ever plan on practicing standing up) a really nice strap, either neo-tech or a wide padded leather strap. Comfy as all hell.

Ballhog: Sweet Guild.

demon

Actually I did get gig-bag. I got everything I wanted except a guitar pick.....do I even need one of those?

demon

By the way.....uhh.....any tips on tuning this thing? I don't have anything to tune it to....

Also, any good guitar playing technique guide/lessons online?

Yeah, you'll want a pick. they're insanely cheap so it's no biggie. Getting a tuner would be ideal.

AND, although i don't know anywhere for you to learn, here's a good exercise you should practice a lot daily.

Chromatic scales: This'll teach you to use all 4 of your fingers with easy. Start doing this slowly, and eventually with lots of practice, you'll do it pretty fast.

using one finger for each fret, strum the first string (The strings, from top to bottom are as follows in standard guitar tuning, E-A-D-G-B-E) the E string with your index on the first fret. Strum another with your middle finger on the second, another with your ring on the 3rd fret, and another with your pinky on the 4th. Repeat this on the A string, then the D, G, and so forth. Then bring it back up. Then try it again starting with your index finger on the second fret, middle at the third, and so on.

ballhog

Get a cheap tuner, you will learn to tune by ear soon enough. In the mean time a $15 tuner will be really helpfull. Trying to play anything on an out of tune guitar will just piss you off.

demon

yay, scales are fun. I'll do that, tre. :)

As for tuning, I found some tuning mp3s online. it was fairly easy to tune.

AlphaSnake

demon said:
yay, scales are fun. I'll do that, tre. :)

As for tuning, I found some tuning mp3s online. it was fairly easy to tune.

I still highly recommend an actual tuner. Eventually you're gonna' wanna' experiment with tunings. Korg is pretty much the choice for electric tuners. See... me, I have four guitars and all of them are in different tunings. My Les Paul Concept is in C# (C-major -- A Perfect Circle's tuning). My ESP is standard, with the A up half a step. This Schecter is in standard tuning. And the Iceman is in Drop-C (Very heavy tuning common with bands like System of a Down, Deftones, Foo Fighters, Godsmack and others).

My point is, don't rely on those internet MP3s to tune. Fork the $15 and get a tuner, you're gonna' want to try out different tunings.

ballhog

Scales are good for you, learn lots of them. Practice them backwards and forwards. Just keep those fingers moving. Get yourself a book (or internet source) of jazz chords too. If you get a grip on this stuff early on, you will be in great shape. Sometimes it seems boring, but when you find yourself playing with other people, you will be glad you did it.

Fusebox

Banned
That PRS doesnt stand for Paul Reed Smith does it?

Wtf??

Since when he did start making guitars that cost under $2,000 grand?!?

AlphaSnake

Fusebox said:
That PRS doesnt stand for Paul Reed Smith does it?

Wtf??

Since when he did start making guitars that cost under $2,000 grand?!?

It's the only one. It's their budget model, pretty much. PRS needed a signature guitar for a quick cash in, so they got Tremonti to do it. Now that Creed's destroyed, the price on the guitar fell pretty hard.

ballhog

While I do reccomend a tuner, I wouldn't bother with alternete tunings for a bit, I have one of my guitars tuned down to an A, which is fun, but basically useless. Stick with the basics.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I would love to get a guitar where the volume knobs go to 11 instead of 10. That would be awesome. My guitar would be 1 louader than any other guitar out there.

Fusebox

Banned
Alphasnake said:
It's the only one.

Phew, I've been wanting a dragon for the last twenty years and I'd hate to see him go mainstream.

PRS is probably my favourite guitar maker ever next to Ernie Ball. :)

ballhog

For what you pay for a PRS there are plenty of used guitars out there that are just as good, if not better, depending on your taste. The list is practically endless.

Fusebox

Banned
So? Thats like telling someone to forget the Porsche and hot up a WRX instead.

Not my style. I said I've always wanted a dragon guitar, sorry I forgot to mention the other 50 or so that I've owned over the years. ;)

It's more like telling someone to forget a BMW and pick up a used porsche.

Personally, for the money you spend on most PRSs, I'd pick up a custom made guitar.

AlphaSnake

When I was in LA, FMT (Jeff) and I went to Guitar Center just to check out some guitars and fuck around with the amps. Right before we left, I picked up this $1400 pre-owned PRS. It sounded pretty decent to me and neither Jeff or I really thought much about it. One of the sales reps noticed me playing it and asked me if I was interested in buying the car. I thought had I said "not really" he'd take the thing away from me and get pissy. So I said, yeah I was thinking of buying a fourth guitar and all. He got SUPER excited (just ask FMT), because if he made a $1400 sale, that's 10% comission which = a good chunk of change in his pocket.

He was trying his best to sell me the guitar, but I told him my parents would likely kill me if I spent $1400 on a guitar -- he didn't seem to care much (jerk). So I kept on making up more excuses (actually, this was true). I then told him that it was my birthday in 2 days and by the time I return home, I'd likely see a new Schecter C1 Classic in my guitar room. He took the extra step and offered to drop the price by nearly $150 on the guitar and said they'd even dropship it over to an NYC Guitar Center for free for me. I didn't want to sound like an ass and tell him to piss off (he was kinda' being nice to me) so I was just giving him this hesitant face that made it look as if I did want the guitar...but I shouldn't get it. Anyways, they were closing the store up and he asks me if there was a # he could contact me at regarding the guitar. At that point, I was just so hell bent on leaving the damn place that I quickly gave it to him, bought strings and picks and left.

When I got back home to NY, a day later he called me from the store and asked me if I wanted the guitar. I told him that when I came home I had a new Schecter C1 Classic (Even though, I actually *just* bought this guitar last week :p).

Fusebox

Banned
Tre said:
It's more like telling someone to forget a BMW and pick up a used porsche.

Personally, for the money you spend on most PRSs, I'd pick up a custom made guitar.

Nah, its more like projecting your personal tastes onto other people - I've owned a few custom guitars already.

You don't buy a Dragon for its action or tone, just like you dont buy a Bentley for the boot space.

It's pure indulgence, I love their intricate designs, I want one, I've always wanted one and one day I'll have one so paupers and spendthrifts begone.

dragon.jpg

Takuan

Man, those designs are so tacky. I don't care about inlays so much, I like the standard dots, trapezoids, or rectangles. I'm more about the guitar body than anything else. My favorite finishes are solid and flame maple.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Alphasnake said:
It's the only one.

Um. No.

There's also the Santana SEII, and the extremely highly rated Soapbar SE (the newest budget model from PRS). I tried both of those out before my heart was stolen by the most beautiful guitar in the world... :)

karasu

Fusebox said:
It's pure indulgence, I love their intricate designs, I want one, I've always wanted one and one day I'll have one so paupers and spendthrifts begone.

dragon.jpg

love the neck, hate the body.

Great attitude tho.

AlphaSnake

iapetus said:
Um. No.

There's also the Santana SEII, and the extremely highly rated Soapbar SE (the newest budget model from PRS). I tried both of those out before my heart was stolen by the most beautiful guitar in the world... :)

Yeah, I totally forgot about the SE. I can't adjust to the idea of PRS producing a guitar cheaper than $1500, so I forget that they even do. But, brah...that "um. no" hurt. :(

demon

Exactly what makes one guitar much better than another? I was talking to one of the guys at the store and he said the nice thing about this guitar is that it uses the same pick-up that the more expensive PRSs use. How exactly does the pick-up of an electric guitar affect its quality?

AlphaSnake

demon said:
Exactly what makes one guitar much better than another? I was talking to one of the guys at the store and he said the nice thing about this guitar is that it uses the same pick-up that the more expensive PRSs use. How exactly does the pick-up of an electric guitar affect its quality?

Pickups are magnets that create the sound of the guitar. They absorb the vibration your string makes and turn it into a sound that comes from your amp. Your guitar has two humbuckers (dual coil pickups), meanwhile a guitar like a Fender Strat has three seperate single-coil pickups. When distorted, that Fender's sound won't sound nearly as heavy and crunchy as your PRS, because the pickups on that guitar only have 6 poles each. Meanwhile, your PRS has two humbuckers, and each humbucker has two lines of 6 poles equaling 12 active poles. A humbucker is two coil pickups in one, which is why it gives a much fuller tone than a single-coil. Look at your pickups closely, notice they have a split down the middle? And that they have bolts/buds on top of them? Beneath each bolt/bud is an independent magnet that picks up the vibration from the string above it.

Humbuckers vary greatly. The higher end PRS humbuckers are pretty good, because they use better magnets and are more sensitive. Some of the best pickups are active pickups that require a 9v battery to run on. My Schecter is loaded with two of the best pickups known to man, the Seymour Duncan JB (Jeff Beck) and the '59 Jazz. But a humbucker is only 60% of a guitar's true sound. It also matters *greatly* the kind of wood the guitar is made out of and what kind of neck the guitar has. Most guitars have bolt-on necks, and other more expensive guitars have a neck-thru design where the neck is part of the body piece and cannot be removed. I think your PRS is neck-thru, but I'm not entirely sure.

The advantages of neck-thru are immense. My Schecter C1 Classic is neck-thru (which is VERY rare for a guitar in its price-range) and compared to my other guitars, I can hold a note *much* longer on the C1 then I can on any other axe. Neck-thru construction gives you a whoooooole lot more sustain and a slightly fuller tone.

Sometimes I think I know way too much about this shit.

fart

Savant
i hate you guys

now, if you need me i'll be in my room banging on my old, hand me down guitar hating you guys

PS, just admit it alpha, you have no idea how a guitar pickup works.

demon

Thanks alpha. Yes, you do know way too much about this stuff.

and other more expensive guitars have a neck-thru design where the neck is part of the body piece and cannot be removed. I think your PRS is neck-thru, but I'm not entirely sure.
Yeah, looks like it is part of the body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom