• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 is the first console I've owned that really emphasised console cleaning often is important

I've had fantastic luck with consoles it seems. I've never had one break through wear and tear, I've never had any controllers go faulty. My PS3 often sounded loud on demanding games but my 60GB backwards compatible console is still going strong. My PS4 and Pro both got a bit loud again on demanding games. But I kept them well looked after and cleaned them on a short of bi-monthly basis, just ensuring the ports and fans are clean as much as I can.

But my PS5 is starting to scare me a bit to be honest. This past 12 months my PS5 has shut down from overheating on quite a few occasions. No idea why. It's looked very clean on the outside and I've kept the vents on the left and right off the main strip clean. Once I'd just clean them with a cloth but when it's overheated, I've taken the panels off and fuck me it's been caked with crap. How in the world it's happened when I've been on top of it is beyond me. I feel like I can't do enough sometimes.

FF:VII Rebirth and Ratchet and Clank jutter like hell and then my console dies. I've opened it twice, thoroughly cleaned it twice with the proper equipment but it somehow keeps getting caked in crap. I know there's an element of the liquid metal has been said so go a bit funny over time but I don't know what the truth is in that and I'm not skilled enough for that. But this console has really emphasised cleaning quite often and it's weird because I don't feel like I've had to do this as much over years. I barely ever cleaned my PS1 and PS2.

I hope this won't be a big thing going forward. Bit worried my console might die soon. What are your console cleaning habits and how often do you give your consoles a once over??

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
OP probably has his PS5 jammed in like this and wonders why its overheating

VKNnj08.jpeg

LordOfChaos

I've opened my PS5 2 times over the last 4 years to see if it had gunked up by now, but each time it remained almost squeaky clean with only very light superficial dust that wasn't obscuring the fan or heatsinks

It's good that they made it so easy to clean but it seems to keep up well on its own, barring smokers or polluted city air etc probably

Last edited:

Unknown?

did-you.png

I love how everyone just thinks I'm a scruffy cunt despite saying that I clean my console often 😂🤣

I probably spend more time cleaning with two kids than gaming these days, but no, dude just live in a dust bin.
You know there are vacuum holes built in to clean the inside, right?

It could be caked due to using a centrifugal fan and not axial, so it moves more air.

Aion002

Gold Member
You just got unlucky... My ps1, ps3 and ps4 died and I had to buy the slim versions.

I hope that my ps5 is like my ps2. I bought my ps2 in 2000 and still works.

I tend to clean my consoles every 2 or 3 weeks.

saintjules

Gold Member
I have cleaned my Console out maybe 2 or 3 times in the 4 years I got it. No issues and I'm not in any polluted air area for issues to where I need to do a constant cleaning.

rm082e

I had both PS3 and 360 die heat deaths. Never cleaned either of them. I figured I just got unlucky. My PS4 eventually started to sound like a hair dryer. I watched a youtube video on the tear down and opened mine up. There's a metal grill in there that had a 1/4" sheet of dust and dog hair. Vacuumed that out and the PS4 was quite again.

After that, I set a calendar reminder twice a year to open up my consoles and PCs on a Sunday afternoon and vacuum them out. PS5 is less steps to take apart than the PS4. It's really no big deal.

I wish these consoles would come with a box that has enough space for 120mm PC fans instead of the blower style, but I get that they can't afford it.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I regularly hoover my home so that helps reduce any dust bunnies entering electrical items. I cleaned around the outside of my PS5 with a fluffy duster and took the faceplates off once a year for a deep clean of the fan etc. It helps that I have hardwood floors everywhere to reduce dust build up.

I never cleaned my PS1, PS3 60GB orig, PS4 or PS4 Pro internally, only externally. None of them died because of heat issues, it was always the disc drive that failed.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I've had fantastic luck with consoles it seems. I've never had one break through wear and tear, I've never had any controllers go faulty. My PS3 often sounded loud on demanding games but my 60GB backwards compatible console is still going strong. My PS4 and Pro both got a bit loud again on demanding games. But I kept them well looked after and cleaned them on a short of bi-monthly basis, just ensuring the ports and fans are clean as much as I can.

But my PS5 is starting to scare me a bit to be honest. This past 12 months my PS5 has shut down from overheating on quite a few occasions. No idea why. It's looked very clean on the outside and I've kept the vents on the left and right off the main strip clean. Once I'd just clean them with a cloth but when it's overheated, I've taken the panels off and fuck me it's been caked with crap. How in the world it's happened when I've been on top of it is beyond me. I feel like I can't do enough sometimes.

FF:VII Rebirth and Ratchet and Clank jutter like hell and then my console dies. I've opened it twice, thoroughly cleaned it twice with the proper equipment but it somehow keeps getting caked in crap. I know there's an element of the liquid metal has been said so go a bit funny over time but I don't know what the truth is in that and I'm not skilled enough for that. But this console has really emphasised cleaning quite often and it's weird because I don't feel like I've had to do this as much over years. I barely ever cleaned my PS1 and PS2.

I hope this won't be a big thing going forward. Bit worried my console might die soon. What are your console cleaning habits and how often do you give your consoles a once over??
ok go on YouTube & search tutorial how to clean & reapply thermal paste on your PS5.
Be sure you get good quality thermal paste.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I've never cleaned my launch day PS5 and it runs fine plus I can't hear it. I did have to clean my PS3, PS4, and PS4 pro because they were all super loud and I was worried they were not cooling very well.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not a lot of ways to “clean” your consoles manufacturer don’t give you tools to open them up yeah it would help if they did they make opening consoles seem illegal.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not a lot of ways to “clean” your consoles manufacturer don’t give you tools to open them up yeah it would help if they did they make opening consoles seem illegal.
Want to clean console... whoops there goes the warranty! Haha.

The PS4 Pro was kinda easy to clean tho. I remember using a fork to open that fucker up.

Crayon

I think I cleaned mine once. The gills are looking a little fuzzy there, so maybe it's time.

It gets hot as balls in here and it works fine, though. Stays quiet, too.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
unless you have a pet in room, im not sure why consoles gets really dirty for some people

My room is very dusty, for an example monitor screen would get covered in dust in 1-2 days after cleaning.
But I only cleaned my ps5 once since first year of launch date.

Kings Field

I never cleaned my console besides dusting the outside. I clean my mancave twice a week. Usually a Monday and a Thursday. Never had an issue. Have a launch PS5 too and before that had a launch PS4/ps4 pro.

tmlDan

I've never had to clean my ps5, you know how to keep your PS5 clean? keep your house/room clean.

Learn to clean your house once a week.

Beechos

Never cleaned any of my consoles or my pc. None of them overheat or caked with dust either. Keeping your electronics away from the floor and regular cleaning/dusting your home also helps.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I SEE the usual dickheads are comiing to the thread to dictate how yours is setup and why it is bad.

When my launch ps5 died of excess heat they landed on the thread to declare that i was improperly boxing the device otherwise it would've never be broken

skit_data

Gold Member
I'm cleaning mine every 6 months or so. Wiping off any visible dust buildup behind the covers and vacuuming the two dust catchers.
I've removed the fan twice since launch day in order to more thoroughly clean the heat sink and other internal areas using some compressed air. Removing the fan doesn't void the warranty so I assume it is sort of intended.

Edit: If your console keeps overheating despite cleaning and having it placed in a relatively well ventilated area it's probably some kind of manufacturer error.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I have one of these
p3e6MWa.jpeg
so dust isn't sloshing around here. Might look through my PS5 in a few years just to be safe though.

Top Bottom