• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS5 is the first console I've owned that really emphasised console cleaning often is important

Filben

I bought a used Xbox One X once and it sounded like an old loud PS4 times ten. It was so loud I could literally hear it another room. And the issue wasn't dirt and dust and stuff. It was the bloody heat paste:

OytXACd.jpeg

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
PS5/Series consoles are really reliable and well designed. I have had my PS5 since launch and it never caused any issues. I upgraded my SSD last year and my PS5 was surprisingly clean despite being used almost everyday.

Alan Wake

My PS5 is dangerously jammed into my TV set, I have nowhere else to put it because of its ridiculous size, but so far so good.

Mephisto40

Take the white panels off both sides, it's fairly easy, and you will probably find the fan is completely gunked up, just cleaning the vents on the sides isnt going to help, you need to take the panels off and clean under them too

You're most likely just pushing more and more dust into the system if you haven't done this already

Last edited:

PanzerCute

Never cleaned mine in 4 years 🤷
Clean your room more often.
What a retarded answer. My flat is extremely exposed to the sun and thus has a lot of dust quickly. I clean my flat every 3 days entirely.

But I had to clean my PS5 entirely 3 times since launch, as it started to shut down on its own on heavy games.

I never had that on any other console ever.

And this is the culprit: that fucking retarded design (at 51 secondes in the video)

DAHGAMING

Mines fine and its gopping, normaly i stack plates on it from when i eat dinner (with my hands) and foods all over it, im sure there bits of smiley face potato fallen in the vent aswell.

I bought a used Xbox One X once and it sounded like an old loud PS4 times ten. It was so loud I could literally hear it another room. And the issue wasn't dirt and dust and stuff. It was the bloody heat paste:

OytXACd.jpeg
Well this is my worry. Do you remember there was a big debate because a pretty popular tech person said the liquid metal can dry up and become unsuitable for cooling? Then I think he back peddled a bit after Sony reached out to him. I've always had mine stood up on top of our TV stand, air flow is good and I dust the stand once a week and there never is much there. I don't smoke, we have a cat but she barely sheds because of her breed. I dunno. Just seems odd.

I don't know but I always clean my room every other week and console an pc every 2 months or so. But I do dust my furniture with a cloth or the duster every week, so there is little dust build up on my peripherals and PC.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well they did design it with dust catchers and to be easy to clean.

I rarely clean my PS5. And have no issues. I also moved into an apt that isn't as dusty as my last place.

I keep my PS5 (and when I had a XSX) on the floor with a piece of cardboard underneath. I have carpet.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I've never clean my consoles. And I am not into intense cleaning of my house so quite some visible dust on my console, and so I guess inside too. Never had a problem with them. (Only a faulty hard drive on PS3).

My PS5 is on top of my low TV furniture, so it's pretty well ventilated since not in a closed space.

thatJohann

When I see pics of people's PS5s, I'm so grossed out by how dusty they always are and the owners don't mind. Like clean your home and clean your consoles. I agree that the PS5 design is horrible when it comes to preventing dust but even more reason to keep it clean and dust-free.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I would recommend putting the PS5 behind the TV on the cabinet. It needs to be in open air. It is not really made to be put in a cabinet.

It is kind of like a PC tower.

Krathoon

Gold Member
You should not have to clean you consoles unless your house is absurdly dusty or you are a smoker.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Generally speaking, if you take one of those feather duster things and wipe down the console and vents every month or two that should be more than adequate. If your stuff is super dusty beyond that, clean your house and quit smoking.

skyfinch

I bought mine for Concord and Foamstars. Opened it last night and it looked brand new inside, as if it had never been used.

Last edited:

Filben

Do you remember there was a big debate because a pretty popular tech person said the liquid metal can dry up and become unsuitable for cooling?
Now that you mentioned it I do remember. There was a short-lived debate about that. Personally, I have mine since April 2022 and have it standing vertically every since and no issues. In fact, this console is so quite sometimes I wouldn't know if it's on or not if it wasn't for the LED lights. Even at night the clicking and rumbling of the controller is louder than my console and I'm amazed how silent this much processing power can be.

I'm sorry about your issue. Having stutter issues and crashes and freezes is a super frustrating experience because you never know when it'll happen but it will happen. If your (extended?) guarantee is void I'd try to fix it DIY style. I guess there's videos on it on YT. Otherwise, bite the bullet and get a new one or stick to another platform until the Pro arrives and get that one.

Last edited:
Now that you mentioned it I do remember. There was a short-lived debate about that. Personally, I have mine since April 2022 and have it standing vertically every since and no issues. In fact, this console is so quite sometimes I wouldn't know if it's on or not if it wasn't for the LED lights. Even at night the clicking and rumbling of the controller is louder than my console and I'm amazed how silent this much processing power can be.

I'm sorry about your issue. Having stutter issues and crashes and freezes is a super frustrating experience because you never know when it'll happen but it will happen. If your (extended?) guarantee is void I'd try to fix it DIY style. I guess there's videos on it on YT. Otherwise, bite the bullet and get a new one or stick to another platform until the Pro arrives and get that one.
I am thinking of getting a pro. My PS5 is our family entertainment system and it has been blasted since we got it so it might just be naturally failing but I'm surprised at how quickly dust can build up inside when the outside looks fine.

Let's see what Mark Cerny has to say tonight

Top Bottom