• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N-Sider Nintendo Enthusiast Summit 2004 impressions

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
http://n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=370&page=2

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

The shocker: I’m going to say as little as possible about this game. Going to Redmond, I had not kept up on the online media for this title simply because I wanted to go in fresh without any prior knowledge of locations, creatures, or what have you. If you’re like me, then I suggest you keep it up, because you’re in for one heck of a surprise. Nintendo asked me what my biggest surprise was, and I had to answer Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, even over the DS. Of course, I was expecting a quality time, seeing as Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games this generation, if not ever. But was I ready for what was in store in the final build of Echoes? Absolutely not. So in an effort to keep you in the dark for just a tiny bit longer I will not divulge any actual details about the game. Instead, I suggest you get a pre-order for the title and find out for yourself.

However, the multiplayer aspect of the game is definitely worth going into detail about. Unfortunately I didn’t find it to be all that impressive still. One of the big points both Nintendo and Retro were making is that they didn’t want the game to be like a typical first person shooter with the multiplayer. So they went ahead and added all sorts of elements such as rolling in morph ball and lock-on targeting ala Metroid Prime. The end result is a multiplayer mode that really does feel like every other run-of-the-mill first person shooter through sheer mediocrity. Most of the matches truly ended up being button mashing fests with missles thrown in here and there to add more firepower. Yet no matter how many times we tried different configurations I just couldn’t seem to warm up to the idea that this was simply tacked on to such an otherwise amazing title.

Make no mistake – when you plunk down your cash for Metroid Prime 2: Echoes you are paying, in large part, for a single player experience. It’s an amazing single player game that, believe it or not, actually made me even look at Halo 2 in a different light. There’s just something about having to have both reflex and puzzle solving skills in order to survive that is just so exhilarating. You can’t just run in guns blazing to beat the game. I’m not saying that other games don’t at least try such a thing, but I am saying that Metroid Prime 2: Echoes does it better. Period. Do not pass on this one.

sold!

ill just ignore the multiplayer section..

more impressions here http://n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=370

However, the multiplayer aspect of the game is definitely worth going into detail about. Unfortunately I didn’t find it to be all that impressive still. One of the big points both Nintendo and Retro were making is that they didn’t want the game to be like a typical first person shooter with the multiplayer. So they went ahead and added all sorts of elements such as rolling in morph ball and lock-on targeting ala Metroid Prime. The end result is a multiplayer mode that really does feel like every other run-of-the-mill first person shooter through sheer mediocrity. Most of the matches truly ended up being button mashing fests with missles thrown in here and there to add more firepower. Yet no matter how many times we tried different configurations I just couldn’t seem to warm up to the idea that this was simply tacked on to such an otherwise amazing title.

I generally despise FPSs, but I loved Metroid Prime, because of this, I think. That being said, the above statement is totally true. I just couldn't get into it; it just felt like any old FPS deathmatch, and without the bells and whistles that even a novice like me has come to expect.

FortNinety said:
I generally despise FPSs, but I loved Metroid Prime, because of this, I think. That being said, the above statement is totally true. I just couldn't get into it; it just felt like any old FPS deathmatch, and without the bells and whistles that even a novice like me has come to expect.

When did you get the chance to play it, Fort? Did you go to one of the summits or did you play it at E3?

I wouldn't mind discussing what I have seen in Echoes with someone else who has seen the first 3 hours or so of the game.

Top Bottom