• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nano Assault Neo |OT| All New Crack For Your All New WiiU

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
2325867-nano_assault_neo_key_artwork.jpg

Developer: Shin'en Multimedia

Price: $9.99 US Dollars

Format: Nintendo WiiU e-shop | 50MB of Wizard's Spells

Summary: Nano Assault Neo is an all new HD sequel to 2011's Nano Assault for Nintendo 3DS. In the game, you play a pilot who has been shrunken down to the celular level to fight off infection inside a human body. The core experience consists of 16 fast-paced levels where players are tasked with exploring spherical cells and destroying infected enemies. Nano Assault Neo is a duel analoging, top-down shooting, enemy bombarding, weapon upgrading, power-upping, co-oping, stat collecting, leader board competing, credit accumulating, eye melting, 60fpsing, WiiU CPU destroying (not really) barrage of videogame crack. Get it.

<-><-><-> Shin'en Interview For More Information
<-><-><-> Watch The Trailer Here!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QEFqno7UAk
<-><-><-> Watch Some Girl Play The First 3 Levels in 720p!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkoHOGCc66E

Reviews:

IGN: 9/10:
IGN said:
"It&#8217;s intense, gorgeous fun. You&#8217;re spinning around the surfaces of these cells slinging shots every which way, grabbing power-ups and credits to spend in the upgrade shop, trying to dodge all of the incoming fire these foes are sending your way at the same time &#8211; and it&#8217;s all playing out with such breathtaking visual quality that you might just need to stop and catch your breath for a minute after each level ends."

NegativeWorld: 8.5/10:
NegativeWorld said:
"Perhaps one of my favorite aspects of the game is the excellent leaderboard setup. The game is seamlessly integrated with the Wii U Nintendo Network and your Nintendo Network ID, so that as soon as you complete a cluster and see your final high score, you're quickly taken to the worldwide leaderboards and can easily see where your score falls among other players. From there, all it takes is a simple button press to the see where you rank against users on your friend list! It's very fast and seamless."

Screens:

GAF Impressions:

Nano Assault is pretty fucking rad, pretty hectic shooter and the Galaxy style planet mechanics can make the game wild.

Nano Assault is, what the 90's era would call, digital crack. That game is so much fun.

Nano assault neo is the secret killer app

It's one of the best looking Wii U games currently, it plays great, the price is right, and it supports Gamepad-only play. With leaderboards and some sort of multiplayer mode (haven't tried it out yet), it's a no-brainer.

Shin'en are as technically skilled as ever, but this is probably their best playing game, even over the 3DS version. It's probably the best indie game on the eShop, and it's likely this game will be a recommendation to people that jump in a few years from now.

Each cluster consists of 4 levels that shouldn't take more than 5 minutes a piece (three levels and one boss). You earn credits to buy a limited amount of upgrades (weapons can be found via enemy drops, but there's also a shield, credit doubler, an item attraction field, or extra lives) so the sense of "progress" lost is pretty insignificant. You'll restart your cluster upon loss of lives, basically.

There's also bonus levels like Sonic 2 should you collect the b-o-n-u-s letters, where your best friend is that item attraction field.

This is my most played title so far, I really love it, and you can not go wrong at the price.

A great deal at that price, and I'm enjoying it more than the 3DS version thanks to the true twin stick controls. It also has some achievement like "missions." These are small challenges like 'complete a cell without getting hit.' On the leaderboard screen, it displays how many missions that person has beaten, and although you can't tell which specific missions someone has completed, it gives a small incentive to try and complete more. Shin'en definitely put some thought into the leaderboard structure, which is crucial for a score based game like this one.

Downloaded this and Trine 2 on Sunday once I got the system and have not been disappointed.

Yes Boss!

"All new"

I was understanding that it was just a port with the tunnel levels switched.

If new, and a sequel that is awesome.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
My husband is like #8 on the leaderboards. I almost got a million tonight. Will try later :p

FUN game
I was #2 on the first two areas the first day the Wii U was released. I'm sure I've dropped far lower by now.
Great game. If you like Super Stardust type shooters, get it. Fun shooting, hot visuals.
I like it much more than SSHD myself.
$10 and only 50MB of pure shmup awesomeness.
Pretty sure it's 81 or 82MB.

Gummb

Updated summary to include multiplayer: "Nano Assault Neo is a duel analoging, top-down shooting, enemy bombarding, weapon upgrading, power-upping, co-oping, stat collecting, leader board competing, credit accumulating, eye melting, WiiU CPU destroying (not really) barrage of videogame crack."

Also added file sizes: "50MB Wizard's Spells"

Awesome OT for an awesome game!

One thing I do enjoy about this game is that is isn't as twitch as I would have though. Now, I do love some twitch gaming, but I like the meatier feel of the ship and overall movement they have in here. It's the perfect sized game where you can jump in for a quick romp, or get knee deep in scoring and whatnot. I have the 3DS one as well, so I just bought this one mostly to support them.

Turns out I'm enjoying it even more this time than when I first got it. I'm coming for gaf on scoreboards...

|Miiverse|
NNID: xenoetry

The game is beautiful and fun as hell. GET IT.

Definitely. Has a good sense of scale at times as well.

zroid

Banned
Sweet OP. I never played the Nano- games before, but was really tempted with the 3DS iteration. I might finally bite on this one.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sweet OP. I never played the Nano- games before, but was really tempted with the 3DS iteration. I might finally bite on this one.

They're releasing an enhanced version of the 3DS game on the eShop sometime this year, so you'll be able to buy it for a third time if you really want to.

EDIT: the 3DS eShop, that is.

pyrandes

Great OP.

Fantastic gem. Bought it and loaded it up and gave me memories of when I first started playing Super Stardust HD. Great looking game that I need to play more and get thru Epsilon <.<

It's one of the best looking Wii U games currently, it plays great, the price is right, and it supports Gamepad-only play. With leaderboards and some sort of multiplayer mode (haven't tried it out yet), it's a no-brainer.

Shin'en are as technically skilled as ever, but this is probably their best playing game, even over the 3DS version. It's probably the best indie game on the eShop, and it's likely this game will be an easy recommendation to people that jump in a few years from now.

Gummb

Shin'en are as technically skilled as ever, but this is probably their best playing game, even over the 3DS version. It's probably the best indie game on the eShop, and it's likely this game will be an easy recommendation to people that jump in a few years from now.

You sir, just made the wall of GAF Impressions! :O

JDSN

Banned
Nano Assault Neo also includes bonus levels that play out like a cross between Star Fox 64&#8217;s tunnels, F-Zero GX&#8217;s hovercraft handling and Sonic the Hedgehog 2&#8217;s half-pipes,

tumblr_lpwgv8vA8f1qdk48e.gif

I thought it was a mistake when I saw it. It's the same for their Wii games as well. That team is literally made of magic.

They probably got used to working with thoose limitations lol. I would love to see a new FAST game for the eShop, but without them trying to make everything fit on 50mb.

Glass Joe

Highly recommended by me. Kind of like a space shooter meets Mario Galaxy. Very pretty and addictive. The difficulty ramps up pretty strong around the 3rd planet, though.

Gummb

1080p... Yay or nay?

Shin'en Interview said:
Q: Neo&#8217;s resolution is 720p. Why is it not 1080p? Beside, we&#8217;ve witnessed jaggies and seemingly a lack of anti-aliasing in some other games footage, can you reassure us on the image quality of your title? With its more up-to-date GPU and other factors such as cache amount, the Wii U should be pretty capable in this area.

A: Any modern GPU supports various anti-aliasing modes with the usual Pros and Cons and it&#8217;s the case for the Wii U one. Many GPUs have a certain amount of AA even for &#8216;free&#8217; when rendering. Usage of these modes depends on your rendering style (like forward or deferred) and other implementation details.

Nano Assault Neo is running in 720p yes. We had the game also running in 1080p but the difference was not distinguishable when playing. Therefore we used 720p and put the free GPU cycles into higher resolution post-Fx. This was much more visible. If we had a project with less quick motions we would have gone 1080p instead i guess.

It&#8217;s not a problem to make beautiful 1080p games on the Wii U. As on any console or PC such titles need ~200% more fill rate than 720p. You can use this power either for 1080p rendering or for more particles, better post-Fx, better materials, etc.

It should also be not forgotten that many current gen games don&#8217;t even run at 720p, but at lower resolutions which are scaled up (not to mention that most also only run at 30fps).

link - 60fps is the more important aspect imo.

The video the girl made sold me on it. I'll be grabbing it tonight or tomorrow. Seems like you can't have a system launch without a Geometry Wars type of game.

You sir, just made the wall of GAF Impressions! :O

Not gonna lie, I wanted to make the wall of impressions, but mostly because I got fairly into shooting for high scores on the 3DS and after paying ~$30 for that version, this $10 version is so much better I wanted to sing it's praises. That being said, as someone that owns hundreds of games on Steam, this is one of the only times that I've felt like I was getting a deal purchasing a game off of one of Nintendo's online stores.

Fularu

Banned
Game is great (not good enough at it to call it amazing yet). I have to understand the scoring system and how the leaderboards are made, because they make no sense

It's gorgeous, the music is great and the gameplay top notch.

EVH

Don't have WiiU but I'm in love with Shin'En after that last month interview. I cannot wait to see the new version of Nano Assault for download in the 3DS. Will buy it day 1.

Teknoman

Soundtrack reminds me of Neo Contra. If anyone from Shin'en has a GAF account, I really hope you guys go for a Turrican style shooter on the Wii U next.

I've been playing a good deal of this I between Zombi U sessions. It's gorgeous and fun. Technically it's probably the best effort on Wii U right now. Final version has cleaner IQ than any video footage I've seen thus far to boot.

Tailzo

I wish I liked shooters like this. The game looks awesome. When you die, you restart the whole game again? Or do you keep upgrades / level ups?

batbeg

I wish I liked shooters like this. The game looks awesome. When you die, you restart the whole game again? Or do you keep upgrades / level ups?

Each cluster consists of 4 levels that shouldn't take more than 5 minutes a piece (three levels and one boss). You earn credits to buy a limited amount of upgrades (weapons can be found via enemy drops, but there's also a shield, credit doubler, an item attraction field, or extra lives) so the sense of "progress" lost is pretty insignificant. You'll restart your cluster upon loss of lives, basically.

There's also bonus levels like Sonic 2 should you collect the b-o-n-u-s letters, where your best friend is that item attraction field.

This is my most played title so far, I really love it, and you can not go wrong at the price.

Tailzo

Thanks. I live in Europe, so I do not get my wiiU before 30th november. Does all wiiU games have demos?

bon

This is more fun than I thought it would be. I can see myself returning to it a lot in the future.

madmackem

The video the girl made sold me on it. I'll be grabbing it tonight or tomorrow. Seems like you can't have a system launch without a Geometry Wars type of game.

Damn right you cant, this looks damn good will buy next week. Are there cards out there in the usa for the store yet? i dont want to add my card to any online store so hope uk gets the cards at launch.

Top Bottom