• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nano Assault Neo |OT| All New Crack For Your All New WiiU

batbeg

Shin'en needs to get into, or at least TRY a hand in graphical outsourcing for other 3rd-party games.

Surely that could be a profitable venture and can still be done with their little team, just have another company be like "here what we want, work your magic", boom, even if it's not their best, it'll still look better than most other games easily.

Yeah something like Assassin's Creed might be too big for them, but something simpler, hell The Kore Gang was made in Germany, why weren't these guys recruited for that instead of Snap Dragon who suck? Could've been an amazing game in the right hands; Zoink did the design, Shin'en could've programmed it. What a waste. :(

I imagine they just want to make their own games and keep doing what they're doing. They seen very content on where they are. I can't wait to see their next eShop/retail offerings.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Shin'en are fantastic, although I haven't played a LOT of their games everything I've played is fantastic. With that in mind NAN is probably the best they've done yet, it is absolutely fantastic.

Also one of the most fun twin stick shooter's I've ever played.

Kenka

INTENSE_MASTURBATION.gif

I can fap to this. Thanks.

DrWong

Ouch! First negative review, by Eurogamer > 4/10

Don't know how the guy can score it so bad when his conclusion says stuff like these >
Ultimately, Nano Assault Neo is my least favourite kind of game; the kind that follows in others' footsteps with little to call its own. It's not a bad game in the conventional sense - it's not tedious or broken - and it's even moderately amusing,

Finally got around to beating all 4 clusters this morning. I think I played 80% of this game with the TV turned off and just playing off the pad. The only negative I could place on the game is the uninspired bosses...I think the 3DS game had better encounters.

I was kinda surprised how bad the boss fights were. They even reused some bosses, but all of those fights in the 3DS version had multiple phases.

Kunan

I love this game. Apparently I got to place 84 my first run, but haven't been able to do that well since. Going to keep trying to beat it!

Spocker

Only played the first world before I had to head to work today, but I really like it. Love Super Stardust on PS3 and Vita, and this is similar, but different enough to make it an worhty opponent without being a obvoius copycat.

NNID: Spocker if you want some more leaderboard competition.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've beaten this game a handful of times, already... It's just so damn good. Finally played through 2P with a friend today. Love the fact that we both got a screen to look at. Plus the game runs as a beautiful 60fps on both screens, which is amazing.

$10 was a great value. I'm REALLY hoping we see DLC.

mikeysteena

Neo Member
This. Is. Awesome!
Loving this so far, visuals are amazing, addictive as hell and dat soundtrack!

Any other players out there?

NIN: SprostonGreen

aechris

I'm not a huge twin-stick shooter fan but I bought this after seeing this love-in of a thread. Unfortunately I'm one of those jerks giving out a negative review because I don't get it. I mean I get the game, I just don't get why everyone is loving this so much. Have fun though!

So in other words he hates shooters and because of that he gives it a 4/10. Nice.

What? No hes saying he hates games that just copy everything else in their genre and dont do anything new.

"the kind that follows in others' footsteps with little to call its own"

wsippel

Banned
What? No hes saying he hates games that just copy everything else in their genre and dont do anything new.

"the kind that follows in others' footsteps with little to call its own"
That certainly isn't the case here. It's a twin stick shooter, sure, but it's quite different from SSHD or other twin stick shooters, mostly thanks to its organic level design that adds a layer of strategy to the game not typically found in the genre. And the game is distinctly Shin'en, it has its own identity.

I'm not a huge twin-stick shooter fan but I bought this after seeing this love-in of a thread. Unfortunately I'm one of those jerks giving out a negative review because I don't get it. I mean I get the game, I just don't get why everyone is loving this so much. Have fun though!

Eh, I wouldn't go as far as to give it a negative review, but I do think it's highly overrated around these parts. It's not bad, but it's essentially Stardust on oblong planets. If I hadn't played the shit out of Stardust 6 years ago, I'd probably appreciate it a lot more but alas...
I do like being able to change the orientation of the satellites, though - very cool feature.

smr00

Banned
No different to all the movie critics who hate chick flicks and give them 1 star.
This is a problem in both game and movie reviews.

If you don't like a certain genre you have NO business reviewing it if you can't give it a fair shake without letting your dislikes towards the genre get in the way. If i was a reviewer and was asked to review a racing/sports game or fighting game i would say no because i know i would rate them incredibly low because i don't like them, i cant stand them.

It's not fair for the developers or the readers. It would be like having Jeff Gerstmann review a Madden game.

aechris

If you don't like a certain genre you have NO business reviewing it

I think it's valid as long as the reviewer talks about those biases. I was interested in this game although I am not usually a fan of the genre, and I'd have liked to get a review from someone in the same position because I might end up enjoying it.

I usually don't like driving games but I sunk HOURS into Burnout Paradise because someone else who usually doesn't like the same genre of game recommended it to me (and it was a match!).

mr_chun

If I were to have a pang of regret about not getting the Wii U, it would be about this game.

I love Shin'en's shooters.

Shin'en doing a sequel to FAST for Wii U could be a hell of a thing.

I actually would like one for the 3DS myself.

It's overrated by the usual sense of launch mania that pushes people to give more to things they would normally be more critical about, especially had it been released among more competition, but it's definitely a good twin stick game for co-op. Best thing, IMO, is the GamePad/screen co-op and, for ten dollars, it's a fine deal. Still not as engrossing as GeoWars2 for me, but I'd put it near to if not on equal standing with SSHD.

stable 60FPS? saw the video from youtube and quite a lot of slow down.

Link it as it might be more to do with background downloading affecting performance or, more likely, the video capture/playback itself. Maybe I need to pay attention more, but it felt solidly 60fps all the way through the third sector/area in two-screen co-op.

wsippel

Banned
i know you will said youtube can't display 60fps.
but if i can see slow down in the video. that's mean the fps is very low from time-to-time.
btw, you click the link to see it yourself?
Bad capture equpment I guess. Didn't notice any slowdowns actually playing the game.

Reclaimer

Enjoying NAN, it's a neat game, plays well and shows off 60fps HD well! We need more games to shoot this high.

However, I don't think it's even in the same league as Super Stardust Delta (Vita). NAN doesn't have the same sense of speed, urgency, or maneuverability. And the weapons in SSD are extremely more fun to fire. Partly their physics, partly their sound, and partly the constant mini upgrades you gain in SSD. NAN feels bland.

The levels in NAN are interesting and beautiful, but often create frustration as much as they add a creative exploration element. Their non spherical shapes often cause blind corners and deaths that can feel cheap. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons NAN feels slow to me: it was probably slowed down to reduce the frustrations caused by non spherical levels.

For me, overall a dissapointment. However, not a bad game. If I had played this before SSD, I'd give NAN an 8-9. With SSD behind me, I'd give NAN a 7.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to play Co-op. Is it pretty much 2 players playing the same content as a single player? I'd love to try that with the TV and Gamepad instead of standard split screen, could be very cool.

olimpia84

Finally beat this yesterday and unlocked survivor mode. This game was well worth the price of admission, here's hoping they release a sequel or DLC.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Finally beat this yesterday and unlocked survivor mode. This game was well worth the price of admission, here's hoping they release a sequel or DLC.

How does survivor mode work? Is it a special survivor level or can any arcade stage be played in survivor?

As for the game itself, I think it's very good. It plays extremely well, probably the best playing and controlling Shin'en game. It seems clearly rushed though; not enough content, poor bosses, a step down as an overall package from the 3DS game. I assume that for Nano Assault, the EX version for 3DS eshop may end up being the definitive overall product.

But for ten bucks! It's not bad at all and it is good that it has leaderboard support and such. Just wish it had better bosses.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I think the game is excellent. That being said it's clear that had they more time the game would be more fleshes out. The bosses especially needed more developing.

Hopefully there is an update/expansion in future.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
... it says 60fps right there...
Yeah, the video is encoded at 60FPS, but the encoded footage was running at 30FPS. Every other frame is the same exact copy of the previous one, except when the frame drops, where you can see one or two more frame repeats instead.

It could be just that he did a bad encode, I don't know, I'm just saying what I see in that video.

arit

Those damn bullet exploding "trees" on omicron, they just keep hitting me because I cannot deal with the small turn when doing 180s.

A fun little game though all those effect can make it rather hard to spot enemy bullets (or enemies themselves) and the camera can get kinda annoying.

I guess the wiimote + classic controller support is for a second player only?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, the video is encoded at 60FPS, but the encoded footage was running at 30FPS. Every other frame is the same exact copy of the previous one, except when the frame drops, where you can see one or two more frame repeats instead.

It could be just that he did a bad encode, I don't know, I'm just saying what I see in that video.
i own the game. It runs at 60

Top Bottom