• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nano Assault Neo |OT| All New Crack For Your All New WiiU

Instro

Yeah, the video is encoded at 60FPS, but the encoded footage was running at 30FPS. Every other frame is the same exact copy of the previous one, except when the frame drops, where you can see one or two more frame repeats instead.

It could be just that he did a bad encode, I don't know, I'm just saying what I see in that video.

The game runs at 60fps.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
EatChildren is the highest ranked player on my friend list. This game is the best looking shmup I have ever seen. Graphics on the GamePad are super crisp, it's really quite something.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Ewww, gross EG review. I don't understand that at all... definitely at least a 7 minimum.

I'll update the OT later guys, busy writing papers. T_T

The video doesn't do it any justice then. Whoever made it should point out that it was poorly made.

I recorded it with 60fps.

It went straight from recording to upload. Its basically "unedited".

I used xsplit for the video. If thats not up to your standart then sorry. Im not gonna change anything on my videos.

EDIT: Going through the video frame by frame i CANNOT confirm your claim that every second frame is a copy of the first!

The YT video is 30 fps only. Youtube is capped at 30.

wsippel

Banned
Enjoying NAN, it's a neat game, plays well and shows off 60fps HD well! We need more games to shoot this high.

However, I don't think it's even in the same league as Super Stardust Delta (Vita). NAN doesn't have the same sense of speed, urgency, or maneuverability. And the weapons in SSD are extremely more fun to fire. Partly their physics, partly their sound, and partly the constant mini upgrades you gain in SSD. NAN feels bland.

The levels in NAN are interesting and beautiful, but often create frustration as much as they add a creative exploration element. Their non spherical shapes often cause blind corners and deaths that can feel cheap. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons NAN feels slow to me: it was probably slowed down to reduce the frustrations caused by non spherical levels.

For me, overall a dissapointment. However, not a bad game. If I had played this before SSD, I'd give NAN an 8-9. With SSD behind me, I'd give NAN a 7.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to play Co-op. Is it pretty much 2 players playing the same content as a single player? I'd love to try that with the TV and Gamepad instead of standard split screen, could be very cool.
I think the fact that there is no urgency whatsoever (at least until the exit opens) actually adds to the game. Early in a stage, you have time to explore and memorize the environment at your leasure, which is kinda necessary in later stages. Enemies spawn based on the clock, but also based on percentage, so you won't get overwhelmed. The difference between NAN and SSHD is that NAN requires preparation and a lot more strategy, as you will always want to kill every single enemy for the completion bonus, and getting the last 10% in just 30 seconds is really hard if you just blast away without thinking.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I absolutely love this game. The first level of the third world is the hardest gaming experience I've had in ages.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I recorded it with 60fps.

It went straight from recording to upload. Its basically "unedited".

I used xsplit for the video. If thats not up to your standart then sorry. Im not gonna change anything on my videos.

EDIT: Going through the video frame by frame i CANNOT confirm your claim that every second frame is a copy of the first!
I actually think the video looks really good and was surprised to find out that its supposedly not representative. I've done the same thing I've done dozens of times before: opened mp4 with QuickTime and used arrow keys to go forward frame by frame. Same thing I've done recently with wonderful 101 video which was unquestionably 60fps, as every frame was different than previous. With your video, every 2nd frame is a copy of previous one when I do this. I'll try it one more time with QT7 instead of QTX when I get back home, but the video generally looked like 30fps to me, it's just that the movements in the game are slow, so it's harder to tell.

Fess

This game is soooo good :)) An amazing combination of all great new twin stick shooters I've played so far, and it looks superb, best looking shooter for sure, and playing on the GamePad makes it look even prettier imo.
Maybe not the best game to have vital stuff shown on the Gamepad while playing on the TV imo, as soon as I check the radar or move the satelites around I die. :/ Might just be me though.

meppi

Nice game and all, but I can't help but feel it doesn't live up to something like Super Stardust HD or Geometry Wars.
Perhaps the extra modes that you unlock will be better...

Just played the first set of levels, loved it.

One problem: didn't saw any leaderboards. Said they weren't available? PAL-user here. WHat's going on?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The game actually runs at 60?
For what it's worth, I checked his video with QT7 like I said I would - and it was still 30fps (every other frame a copy of previous one) with some drops here and there. Also it looked like 30fps when I was just watching the video in QT7, identical as with QTX.

keenest

Fantastic game. Managed to unlock Survivor Mode now. As others have mentioned Omicron 1 was a real tough level to complete without losing all your lives. My tactic in the end was to try and avoid the exploding trees as much as possible. If they are right next to you, don't shoot. They are best disposed of at a safe distance, so you can more easily side step their shrapnel.

The Omicron boss I also battled for ages to kill, but then the final boss of Stage 4 I finished in under 20 seconds. Go figure.

I would love to see some extra stages released as DLC. Will buy it in a flash.

The Arcade mode is also great. You can play for just a few minutes and then see how your score compares against everyone else. This helps with the replay value.

NNiD: keenest

Tenki

I've been playing NAN and it's fantastic, tons of fun. But I can't get pass through the third cluster, Omicron :( I always die on the second cell.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I think the game looks awesome. But is it more technically impressive than Super Stardust HD?

herod

I think the game looks awesome. But is it more technically impressive than Super Stardust HD?

neither game is particularly technically impressive at all (I'm just playing Trine 2 right now, it completely outclasses both of these titles) but for me NAN is quite some way ahead of Stardust.

Larsen B

NAN is the first game I've finished for my Wii U.

I probably played about 50% on the TV and 50% on the GamePad. Playing on the TV seemed easier, like there was more room to breathe. I liked the intimate nature of playing it in bed like a gorgeous-looking handheld but it certainly impacted on my performance.

Disappointed it's a little short and shallow with a lot of re-used enemies in later stages and also how easy the bosses were. Also super disappointed that the bonus round doesn't have an unlockable score attack mode with friend leaderboards.

Something like that would have been great.

Not a classic but definitely a fun little thing I'll probably play every so often.

Haunted

Are the country flags really obscuring the first two digits on the leaderboards (once you're in the hundreds and thousands)? What a silly design mistake. :lol Probably only tested with a handful of people on the boards.

The game is totally worth the 10 Euros, comes recommended. Pretty ridiculous that it's under 100MB with those visuals.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Are the country flags really obscuring the first two digits on the leaderboards (once you're in the hundreds and thousands)? What a silly design mistake. :lol Probably only tested with a handful of people on the boards.

Wait what?

... haha and here I thought I was like awesome or something.

I don't know how they do it. Seriously.

It looks hot, no doubt, but it also looks extremely similar to many modern 3D graphics demos that come from the current demoscene. They get huge results from tiny packages that compress a lot and get a lot of economy out of procedural generation and effective use of few unique models and textures. There are some amazing collected works at scene.org.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IMO, not at all. SSDHD looks better (this is subjective, I know) runs in 1920x1080 at rock solid 60FPS. NanoAssault is 1280x720p at 30FPS with some drops even (sorry, I'm sticking to this, unless someone can prove otherwise with an actual 60FPS footage) Ultimately though, SSDHD has a technical feature that makes it really stand out, and that is localized/volume destructibility of its asteroids, which is not only its biggest technical feat, but also a fantastic gameplay twist. I see nothing groundbreaking like that in NanoAssault.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
IMO, not at all. SSDHD looks better (this is subjective, I know) runs in 1920x1080 at rock solid 60FPS. NanoAssault is 1280x720p at 30FPS with some drops even (sorry, I'm sticking to this, unless someone can prove otherwise with an actual 60FPS footage) Ultimately though, SSDHD has a technical feature that makes it really stand out, and that is localized/volume destructibility of its asteroids, which is not only its biggest technical feat, but also a fantastic gameplay twist. I see nothing groundbreaking like that in NanoAssault.

SSDHD is a more complex and overall deeper twin stick shooter. But I'm a bit confused; have you actually played Nano Assault in person or are you going by media online? The game is 60fps. It's as clear as any other game that runs at a virtually locked 60fps update.

People are not lying or something.

Tenki

Isn't NAN 60FPS? Shin'en has a 60FPS trailer of the game, it wouldn't make any sense to release a 60FPS trailer if the game is 30FPS.

http://www.nanoassaultgame.com/neo/video/shinen_nano_assault_neo_trailer1_720p60_8mbit.mp4

According to friends i know SSHD has slowdowns...

And i played Nano Assault and can confirm its rock solid 60fps.

And yeah theres an official 60fps trailer... See the link Tenki posted.

JordanN

Banned
I don't know how Stardust gets so much love. Outside of resolution, the game is hella flat compared to Nano Assault.

DuVL0.jpg
So good. That screenshot also doesn't capture the motion blur that shows up from time to time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Isn't NAN 60FPS? Shin'en has a 60FPS trailer of the game, it wouldn't make any sense to release a 60FPS trailer if the game is 30FPS.

http://www.nanoassaultgame.com/neo/video/shinen_nano_assault_neo_trailer1_720p60_8mbit.mp4
That trailer is 60FPS. The only good quality video I've seen of the game before this was the previously posted 420MB video which was encoded at 60FPS but the footage encoded was running at 30FPS and every other frame was a duplicate of the previous one.

According to friends i know SSHD has slowdowns...
Not that I've seen. It drops some frames when you activate a bomb and if it happens to produce some kind of quick and screen filling chain reaction explosion.

People are not lying or something.
I wasn't claiming anyone was lying, but people are notoriously bad at recognizing that something runs in 30FPS, when the game is not moving things around very quickly. There was also the fact that the author of the video seemed to know what he was doing, and was saying that the video he posted is completely representative.

That trailer is 60FPS. The only good quality video I've seen of the game before this was the previously posted 420MB video which was encoded at 60FPS but the footage encoded was running at 30FPS and every other frame was a duplicate of the previous one.

Its MY video. I encoded it. And its real 60fps. The "other frame is a duplicate" is wrong. I checked it.

kinggroin

Banned

Its 60fps.

There's a direct feed trailer from Shin'en that runs at that rate.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Not that I've seen. It drops some frames when you activate a bomb and if it happens to produce some kind of quick and screen filling chain reaction explosion.

I wasn't claiming anyone was lying, but people are notoriously bad at recognizing that something runs in 30FPS, when the game is not moving things around very quickly. There was also the fact that the author of the video seemed to know what he was doing, and was saying that the video he posted is completely representative.
I have both games and Nano Assault looks better.

And even better on the GamePad. It's beautifully optimized for the smaller screen.

Most GAF members on my friendlist did twice my score, I need to practice as soon as I stop my weird addiction to Little Inferno.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Its MY video. I encoded it. And its real 60fps. The "other frame is a duplicate" is wrong. I checked it.
Lol, OK, sorry. What did you use to watch it and confirm this? I used Quicktime for both your video and Shin-en's trailer, and their trailer is clearly 60FPS. When I do frame by frame in it, every frame is different. Hell, if I just watch your video right after I watch their trailer, it's clear it's running at half the framerate, I don't need to inspect frame by frame.

CLEEK

SSDHD is the more technically impressive game. 1080p/60 with a fuck load of geometry being thrown around, along with the impressive physics when each asteroid shatters into bits.

NAN looks nice, with pretty shader effects, but it isn't doing anything technically complex and runs at a lower resolution. If anything, I think NAN is much closer in looks and play style to Mutant Storm Empire than SSDHD.

NAN is pretty lightweight in content and difficulty, but for quick blasts now and again, it's great. Over the past few years, there have been a handful of amazing twin stick shooters and loads of duds. NAN sits somewhere in the middle. It plays well and is fun (the most important thing). It just doesn't do anything special or unique.

Teknoman

Just realized why NAN's soundtrack is so awesome. I think the same composer for the Turrican series works at Shin'en.

EDIT: lol scratch that, he's the studio's president. A little more hope for a Turrican style game to rise again on the Wii U.

Celine

Just realized why NAN's soundtrack is so awesome. I think the same composer for the Turrican series works at Shin'en.

EDIT: lol scratch that, he's the studio's president. A little more hope for a Turrican style game to rise again on the Wii U.
That's not true at all.
However Manfred Linzner composed music for Iridion 3D/2 that are very reminescent of Chris Huelsback's Turrican tracks.
Since Nanostray 2 Linzner haven't composed the soundtrack for Shin'en games (Schioeler did).

Teknoman

That's not true at all.
However Manfred Linzner composed music for Iridion 3D/2 that are very reminescent of Chris Huelsback's Turrican tracks.
Since Nanostray 2 Linzner haven't composed the soundtrack for Shin'en games (Schioeler did).

Ah thanks. Damn internet.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Nothing much to add... Just freaking love this game. It's definitely my favorite twin-stick shooter (but by no means the best). Just something about it makes me keep playing over and over again. It's so damn pretty, too!

But what's the secret to getting ultra-high scores?

Top Bottom