• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Another thing I would like to bring up about RAWs, and that is the usage of in ring promos vs backstage promos.

Way back during his interview on Jericho's podcast, Dean Ambrose mentioned that he always hated live stuff and always preferred backstage segments. At the time, I didn't know exactly what he meant.

Flash forward to me watching this RAW and there are two in the ring promos; A confrontation between Flair, Austin, and Undertaker about their match at backlash which will decide the number 1 contender to the WWF championship, in which Flair announces that he will be the special guest referee. The second live promo is by WWF champion Triple H, who is there to hype up his match and plus he's the champion. He's a big deal.

Two in ring promos, both dedicated to building the biggest match going on at the time. Now the crazy thing is that there must be a dozen promos on this show, but they're all backstage. And that's when I realized it; too many live promos absolutely kills the pacing.

During a live promo these days, the wrestler is out there alone, in charge of reiterating a bunch of storyline points that everyone already knows. During this time they're a slave to the hard camera, and their promo is dedicated to playing to the crowd, so there's a bunch of shitty pauses when they want a pop. What happens if you want another wrestler involved? Welp, you have to play that other guy's music, while the guy in the ring has to wait around for him to walk down the long ass ramp, until he finally gets to the ring and basically faces the same issues wrestler number 1 faced.

Not so with backstage promos. In backstage promos even the guys and gals who are mediocre on the stick are protected because the interviewer summarizes the main story point for them, so their focus is to build their character by talking about how they feel about that story point and how they're going to react to it. They're in a safe space so to speak where they don't have to worry about playing to the crowd and can go at their own pace. Want another wrestler in the promo? He or she is a literal second away. More story development in 4 minutes backstage than 10 minutes in the ring.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When Nintendo needed every possible sale they could get.

This seems like more of a reality after today
BwlVinNIcAA3IE_.jpg

Barrage

Another thing I would like to bring up about RAWs, and that is the usage of in ring promos vs backstage promos.

Way back during his interview on Jericho's podcast, Dean Ambrose mentioned that he always hated live stuff and always preferred backstage segments. At the time, I didn't know exactly what he meant.

Flash forward to me watching this RAW and there are two in the ring promos; A confrontation between Flair, Austin, and Undertaker about their match at backlash which will decide the number 1 contender to the WWF championship, in which Flair announces that he will be the special guest referee. The second live promo is by WWF champion Triple H, who is there to hype up his match and plus he's the champion. He's a big deal.

Two in ring promos, both dedicated to building the biggest match going on at the time. Now the crazy thing is that there must be a dozen promos on this show, but they're all backstage. And that's when I realized it; too many live promos absolutely kills the pacing.

During a live promo these days, the wrestler is out there alone, in charge of reiterating a bunch of storyline points that everyone already knows. During this time they're a slave to the hard camera, and their promo is dedicated to playing to the crowd, so there's a bunch of shitty pauses when they want a pop. What happens if you want another wrestler involved? Welp, you have to play that other guy's music, while the guy in the ring has to wait around for him to walk down the long ass ramp, until he finally gets to the ring and basically faces the same issues wrestler number 1 faced.

Not so with backstage promos. In backstage promos even the guys and gals who are mediocre on the stick are protected because the interviewer summarizes the main story point for them, so their focus is to build their character by talking about how they feel about that story point and how they're going to react to it. They're in a safe space so to speak where they don't have to worry about playing to the crowd and can go at their own pace. Want another wrestler in the promo? He or she is a literal second away. More story development in 4 minutes backstage than 10 minutes in the ring.

Damn straight. I'm with ya on this doggie. Note that A) that's how 90% of NXT people get over, and B) how Stone Cold originally got over in 96/97.

I'd love to do in the ring promos. And a lot of you may say, will you say that now but it's different being in front of a crowd. I'm really good in front of thousands of people and that's how I got over stage fright. I miss theatre so much. If you play with the crowd then you'll win!

Barrage

I'm switching between Late 2014 NXT and 98 RAW. Just biding my time until they put up 2000 RAW (for my money, the best year in WWE history).

The first RAW of 98 starts with Austin backstage saying he's going to kick the entire roster's ass, so stay tuned. It works.

jred2k

Look at the YouTube/WWE.com exclusives they put up every week. Almost every single one is better than anything that happened on Raw that week.

Backlash '02 opens with a fantastically solid match between Billy Kidman and Tajiri for the cruiserweight title. Both men are smooth as hell in the ring, have exciting but reserved spots, a title change, and gets a previously lukewarm crowd on their feet. Everything you want from an opening match.

Whatever inkling of a physique Bradshaw had in the attitude era is long gone by 2002. Presumably from a year or two of having a character dedicated to drinking beer.

Barrage

WHAT THE FUCK

GOLDUST JUST CAME OUT IN BLACKFACE

TO FIGHT FLASH FUNK

A WHITE MAN IN BLACKFACE IS PUNCHING A BLACK MAN

Fuck this. I'll take 10 HHH promos on Booker T over this

It's commendable how often the women are featured during this earlier time. There's an uncomfortable focus on sex appeal (which is ironic because as I've said before the women actually dressed rather conservatively compared to today), but they get significant buildup, stories, and the matches are as long as the men's (well most of the men's). Even the women's champion Jazz (who was awesome with a powerhouse of few words) has the same "rare appearance" deal HHH has.

Great match between Edge and Kurt Angle. With his more lukewarm main event stuff fresher in my head I forgot that Edge was used as a big match guy for a good chunk of time.

I'm switching between Late 2014 NXT and 98 RAW. Just biding my time until they put up 2000 RAW (for my money, the best year in WWE history).

The first RAW of 98 starts with Austin backstage saying he's going to kick the entire roster's ass, so stay tuned. It works.
Yeah I had to halt my attitude era run because I just finished the last one they have. So I went back to 93 and by the time they get the others in there, I at least be in 96ish since I watch them at work, home, and in the gym.

Did any of you read the transcript of Disco Inferno's interview on Russo's podcast? Disco is a fucking Dicko. Fuck that guy.

Didn't read it, but I'm entirely unsurprised - Gilberti has the most hilariously over-inflated opinion of himself and what he did in the business, to listen to him talk you'd think he was the most popular character in WCW. Also, despite looking like a fucking twerp for 100% of his career, he said Bryan would never be signed by the WWE because he was too short and a total dork, as well as chastising indie wrestling fans for daring to call him the "Best in the World", as apparently you can't be best in the world until you've wrestled a 3 minute "match" against Hugh Morrus on Thunder, or some shit.

Summoner

Yeah....I'm listening to Jericho's podcast with Chavo Guerrero and Dean Malenko, talking Eddie stories. There's some feelgood stuff on here.

jmdajr

Can we call you Uno?

Congrats on the pregnancy!

newday14.gif

Congratulations!
on the baby, not the ball cancer obv

Yikes! Crazy. Well, you know why they make organs in twos for the most part! RIP Wallet.

Congratulations friend

Make sure they don't search for Chyna on Google.

Congratulations man. lifefindsaway.jpg

If you get another one you know it's because of the avatar.

Congrats friend!

Congrats, more Disney vacations!

Congrats. Say goodbye to what time, money, and sanity you have left. Also, welcome to the #DivasRevolution.

Sir congrats. I too had the same diagnosis 7 years ago. God bless. Im so happy for you.

Having a shitty night this evening and you just turned this frown...upside down!

I could not be more happy for a fella. I have two girls myself. Hell even the fucking cat is a female. Shit, ww have a female betta fish aswell.

Now you know why I'm havin g a shitty night :p good life. Congrats on you and your family's health

Thanks brothers.

Never take anything for granted, and enjoy the good times when you have em.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE SHOW, MAN AND WOMAN, HAS A STORY GOING ON WITH AN ACCOMPANYING PROMO/BACKSTAGE SEGMENT.

Where did it go wrong friends?

Sorry to bounce back to this, but I think you can really blame the 1-2 punch of Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley. Both guys got the WWE machine behind them, both left the business shortly after getting hot. (And both came back, although only Brock got welcomed back to the WWE thanks to his UFC hype).

If you look at that - especially post-Lashley - that's when the 50/50 booking started, that's when the 'chosen one' booking of Cena (and now Reigns) began, that's when it really started going to crap, because Vince got scared that anyone who got big needed to be humbled, and anything that wasn't forced into his vision could escape it.

Or so I think.

Aiii

So not worth it
Gratz on the new little parasite jmdajr. Another person to bum off of you!

Seriously though, congrats.

Fox318

Sorry to bounce back to this, but I think you can really blame the 1-2 punch of Brock Lesnar and Bobby Lashley. Both guys got the WWE machine behind them, both left the business shortly after getting hot. (And both came back, although only Brock got welcomed back to the WWE thanks to his UFC hype).

If you look at that - especially post-Lashley - that's when the 50/50 booking started, that's when the 'chosen one' booking of Cena (and now Reigns) began, that's when it really started going to crap, because Vince got scared that anyone who got big needed to be humbled, and anything that wasn't forced into his vision could escape it.

Or so I think.

That happened as soon as The Rock left. Vince probably feels that he created The Rock and he can make stars bigger than what he wants to pay them.

I mean look at Dave Batista. Dude is a legit movie star right now and can make way more not taking bumps and working fucking house shows for $52 bucks.

I mean movie studios aren't going to let guys wrestle after Rock tore every muscle off the bone working with Cena, especially since Hercules was delayed.

Now in order to be the top guy you have to prove to Vince that you are his guy and even then they book the biggest star as HHH and Steph's tool.

Now the people who get the top billing are people that are never going to leave the company.

I mean realistically after Trainwreck if Cena really wanted to pursue a career in acting he probably could get pretty big if he focused on it.

Brock left after getting a huge fucking push and getting fed nearly every guy on the roster. Because Vince doesn't know when to give time off and he got bored.

Hogan
Rock
Big Show
Angle
Steve Austin was planned
Goldberg was planned.
HHH fucking bitched out and created the WHC just so he wouldn't have to job.

=

Striker

How could you forget Biker Taker and Bork. I think that and his battles with Angle were what defined his legacy in his first run.

FWIW, they had Cena on his moonpush way before Lashley began to take off. I'm not sure what they had planned for him initially, but it was something big. Maybe someone younger to take the reigns in Smackdown land since Batista wasn't spring chicken.

Fox318

How could you forget Biker Taker and Bork. I think that and his battles with Angle were what defined his legacy in his first run.

FWIW, they had Cena on his moonpush way before Lashley began to take off. I'm not sure what they had planned for him initially, but it was something big. Maybe someone younger to take the reigns in Smackdown land since Batista wasn't spring chicken.

But if you go back and look at Mania 20 and his push up until then he was over as fuck and he wasn't designed to be a marketing machine.

If WWE owned by a major media company guys would have time off and they would be in decent film and TV projects.

Instead of just sending the miz out 2 weeks to film a bargain bin dvd movie.

jmdajr

But if you go back and look at Mania 20 and his push up until then he was over as fuck and he wasn't designed to be a marketing machine.

If WWE owned by a major media company guys would have time off and they would be in decent film and TV projects.

Instead of just sending the miz out 2 weeks to film a bargain bin dvd movie.

But he gets medical insurance now for being part of the screen actors guild! Or something or other.

Striker

All I know is he hated the traveling so he probably wasn't long in that business even if they allowed him some time off. He was 27 years old and achieved practically everything you can ask for. Face huge names one after another. His little interview with Austin (recently) was clear cut as you can get.

Fox318

You guys are also forgetting Austin going off on creative and becoming too big to control during the tail end of his career.

wasn't that because Vince wanted Austin to job on free tv with no build?

He wanted HHH to do the same thing with Dave Batista. HHH said fuck that we need to build it to mania and they had the most buys ever that year.

imBask

Banned
wasn't that because Vince wanted Austin to job on free tv with no build?

He wanted HHH to do the same thing with Dave Batista. HHH said fuck that we need to build it to mania and they had the most buys ever that year.

HHH negociated a smart deal and everyone won
Austin walked out like a big baby

HHH > Austin

Top Bottom