• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
.....are we gonna lose to the nets?

aw6GeRS.gif

Line_HTX

I've lost count how many games they had of 20 made 3's.

Of course, you can't let the lowly Clippers come back. Knock it off with this shit.

I've lost count how many games they had of 20 made 3's.

Of course, you can't let the lowly Clippers come back. Knock it off with this shit.

This is the 9th game. We haven't actually had too many of those sorts of games tbh

Hope the game getting closer means we can keep the Harden 7+ assist streak and go for the 3 pt record

So what changed from the Rockets last season to now? Better coaching?

A few different things.

I had a feeling Harden was going to have another resurgent season this year, though nowhere near this level. He got a bunch of criticism for disappearing in the 2014 blazers series, and then became one of the main players for the FIBA national team that year, spent the off-season just getting seriously reading for the season, and took off that year.

Despite his insane stats in 2016, he was still getting blamed alot for the Rockets 2016 season. Even while we were in the playoffs, you could tell the team needed a full off-season to just think through everything, and really needed the season to just be over.

There was an article on the work Harden did this off-season, and from what it sounds like, Harden didn't just start to become involved in the FO more, but he generally was prepping for the season and came into it extremely determined.

We upgraded our shooters a ton. Josh Smith and Corey Brewer stopped being our main options, we replaced them with Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and now Lou Williams.

From what I can tell, the Rockets might currently be the best example of an entire organization being on the same page, from the owner to the GM to the coach to the star to the role players. Each level both helps the other levels but also gives them the freedom to operate on their own.

Back in 2015, the two constant themes were that Harden needed either a floor-spacing PF or a PG that could both play off-ball and be the one to share the load for creating for the team with him. That's why they got Ty Lawson that off-season.

This season, the Rockets have decided to drop any and all pretenses and just run 100% of the offense through him. No useless back and forths.

Also, a coach that can run plays. No more of this shit that happened with McHale and Bickerstaff, no more "we just have to rebound the ball, play hard, make our shots, and play defense" shit. Our coach can actually draw up an out-of-timeout offensive play, and our assistant coach can do it for a defensive play.

I don't think I can stress this enough. MCHALE DIDN'T, AND DOESN'T, DRAW PLAYS. He doesn't do it. It's all Harden improv. out there, and Harden, despite creating alot last year, has too many possession where he was ISOing before this season.

Harden seems to just have gotten better at leading the team, trying to get his team going. He has the weirdest, quietest high scoring games sometimes, because he typically spends the first few quarters deliberately trying to go for assists, get the rest of the team hot.

So yeah. The entire organization has chemistry, and Harden got better, especially in getting his teammates going.

Dwight the cancer is gone

Nah, Harden put it best. There wasn't really any single person at fault last year, it was just a mess, people didn't get along, and that sometimes just happens

A few different things.

I had a feeling Harden was going to have another resurgent season this year, though nowhere near this level. He got a bunch of criticism for disappearing in the 2014 blazers series, and then became one of the main players for the FIBA national team that year, spent the off-season just getting seriously reading for the season, and took off that year.

Despite his insane stats in 2016, he was still getting blamed alot for the Rockets 2016 season. Even while we were in the playoffs, you could tell the team needed a full off-season to just think through everything, and really needed the season to just be over.

There was an article on the work Harden did this off-season, and from what it sounds like, Harden didn't just start to become involved in the FO more, but he generally was prepping for the season and came into it extremely determined.

We upgraded our shooters a ton. Josh Smith and Corey Brewer stopped being our main options, we replaced them with Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon, and now Lou Williams.

From what I can tell, the Rockets might currently be the best example of an entire organization being on the same page, from the owner to the GM to the coach to the star to the role players. Each level both helps the other levels but also gives them the freedom to operate on their own.

Back in 2015, the two constant themes were that Harden needed either a floor-spacing PF or a PG that could both play off-ball and be the one to share the load for creating for the team with him. That's why they got Ty Lawson that off-season.

This season, the Rockets have decided to drop any and all pretenses and just run 100% of the offense through him. No useless back and forths.

Also, a coach that can run plays. No more of this shit that happened with McHale and Bickerstaff, no more "we just have to rebound the ball, play hard, make our shots, and play defense" shit. Our coach can actually draw up an out-of-timeout offensive play, and our assistant coach can do it for a defensive play.

I don't think I can stress this enough. MCHALE DIDN'T, AND DOESN'T, DRAW PLAYS. He doesn't do it. It's all Harden improv. out there, and Harden, despite creating alot last year, has too many possession where he was ISOing before this season.

Harden seems to just have gotten better at leading the team, trying to get his team going. He has the weirdest, quietest high scoring games sometimes, because he typically spends the first few quarters deliberately trying to go for assists, get the rest of the team hot.

So yeah. The entire organization has chemistry, and Harden got better, especially in getting his teammates going.

Nah, Harden put it best. There wasn't really any single person at fault last year, it was just a mess, people didn't get along, and that sometimes just happens
I assumed Howard wasn't all to blame and other seemed the system just wasn't made to include him.

Even Atlanta doesn't tend to pass him the ball that often when he is posting up. They do shoot and drive quite a bit.

Atlanta seems to have some of those issues and they have players trying to create too much on thier own I feel.

that kawhi game winner

I feel like he travelled a bit when he fumbled the ball but it was still Kobe-esque

I assumed Howard wasn't all to blame and other seemed the system just wasn't made to include him.

Even Atlanta doesn't tend to pass him the ball that often when he is posting up. They do shoot and drive quite a bit.

Atlanta seems to have some of those issues and they have players trying to create too much on thier own I feel.

Yeah Dwight's game just isn't made for this type of NBA that is played today. He'll be a terrible fit for any team tbh. Any offense at this point is really just a bonus. Unfortunately, he still thinks that he should be the focus of the offense when today's game just doesn't work like that any more.

ViciousDS

Banned
Embiid out now rest of season

So you lost Noel, Jahlil is meh, and Embiid is the next Greg Oden

what process are you fans supposed to support?

Top Bottom