• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

spyder_ur

Wow, up by 11. Didn't expect this at all. Was deciding whether to go to bed or not.

Celts d has been incredible tonight. Holding Dubs to 80 with 5 minutes to go is great. Just close it out.

Oh yeah, and the Celts are a much better team with Horford. Bradley too - he's putting on a clinic defensively tonight, other than when Klay got him a couple times in the 3rd.

Celtics defense looking like it's back to its old form.

Might also have o do with having small guards to hurt the GSW with speed while also not needing to worry about a 7 footer killing them on the rebounds

That's my guess at least, just tuned in for the 4th quarter

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Damn what a sequence took so much time and after multiple o rebs and resets they cap it with 2 to basically ice this one.

Surfinn

Thanks for the info, wow had no idea he's out for so long.. Yikes.

Celtics played a damn solid game tonight, they deserve the win.

spyder_ur

Just a great win and a truly monumental defensive performance - holding Warriors to 84 points at this point. Bradley and Olynyk were huge tonight.

Hopefully they can keep up this level of defensive that they've shown, but where they've not been consistent.

Kelly olynyk has these nights every now and then he really took over tonight.
\

Interestingly, he had his best game of his career also against the Warriors when they came up Boston undefeated last year.

And the Celtics win with a 13-point lead.

The Warriors were doing so well, then they kept fucking up during the last 4-5 minutes in the 4th quarter.

jbug617

Banned
Reporters asking Jaylen Brown what happened with Curry. He said he didn't say anything to him so he doesn't know why Curry went off like that.

Rainy

Banned
Why did Kerr take Klay and Dray out in the 4th with so much time left? That was confusing.

Also Spurs will easily get the 1 seed if the Warriors keep playing like this.

Can't believe the Dubs fell apart like that in the 4th... Dray with the hip check killed a possible momentum push with Klay finally hitting a 3, which would have brought it down to 8pt deficit.

I just knew seeing the score so low that Warriors were in trouble.
Klay missed like 3 layups, 3's were not hitting, turnovers galore.
I missed the McGee Shaqtin moment though.... you think Shaq will highlite it?

anyone have a clip?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can't believe the Dubs fell apart like that in the 4th... Dray with the hip check killed a possible momentum push with Klay finally hitting a 3, which would have brought it down to 8pt deficit.

anyone have a clip?

it was just a missed layup, nothing awful, but I'm sure shaq will bring it up.

anyone have a clip?

Banked a hook shot and then missed a dunk.

We might be overachieving with D'Antoni. Can't be too confident with this approach and given his history in Phoenix.

Try waiting for more than two games. Anderson was out (and I would argue he's the 2nd most important player for our offense). We played lackadaisically in the first half, but we seriously turned up the defense in the 2nd half. Jeff Bzdelik has done a great job, because when the Rockets are playing defense, either with Capela protecting the rim or Harrell on the court and the Rockets switching on everything, we've been able to get stops.

The major thing that concerns me is Lou Williams' role as play-maker. I feel like he needs to take an approach similar to that of what Harden and Gordon do when they're on the court together - Harden is a playmaker, Gordon is mostly a shooter, unless we're talking about one specific play. I'd prefer Beverley being handling the ball, and Lou being the main scorer who he kicks out to. It doesn't look like Lou has entirely adjusted to our team yet, regardless of our first two games, but even if he just is a Corey Brewer in the corner that makes his 3s, that should be enough.

I think I liked Harden playing defense on the power forward position. While he was easily the man being hidden on defense, he also helped box out and get defensive rebounds, and generally played good defense when he his man was driving into the paint.

A major weakness of ours is that, without Capela on the floor, we rely too heavily on Beverley's help defense on bigs. Beverley and Ariza did a REALLY fantastic job of not letting Hayward score anything in the 1st half, I think they only stopped because they needed to focus on the rest of the defense. But given that Beverley also needs to be guarding his man, it leaves a perimeter player open.

That reminds me - something that was frustrating me about the Spurs-Rockets game is that the Spurs were doing a really good job with using screens to take Ariza off of Kawhi. Beverley does a decent job defending him, but honestly lacks the size, but Ariza was actually good at slowing Kawhi down, if it wasn't for the fact that it felt like all of Kawhi's points were made after the Spurs made sure to separate the two.

Capela, and maybe even Harrell, outplayed Gobert. They both played fantastic. Gobert got a bunch of points early in the game where no one was really contending with him, especially if Capela was on the bench, but I think alot of that also had to do with the Rockets just having to concede to the 7 foot big man.

That being said, offensively, holy crap Capela played smart. He got so many dunks and lay-ups and tip-ins against Gobert. Even Harrell was similar. The thing about Gobert is that his very presence was changing our shots, and too often Capela would get the ball, have a bunch of Jazz in the paint, and have to kick it back out to a shooter that was open and would miss.

Idk why we don't start Dekker more. We had that stretch of games in January where, with Anderson out, we started Brewer, and Dekker started once and scored 30 pts against the Grizzlies. In general, when the Rockets are playing lackadaisically, two of Beverley, Dekker, Harrell, and Capela should be on the floor. Maybe even 3. Those 4 fight hard for rebounds, and just generally play with more energy.

Harrell got to play for the first time in a looooong time. Man do I miss him. Against any team that plays more on the perimeter, he should flat out be starting. He had 6 straight points in the 4th quarter, and just played great in general, after not playing for how many games?

I really wish he could develop his 3 pt shot, if he can get it to even 30%, 32%, that would be enough, he could get minutes at the power forward spot, and we could play a more classic line-up while still being able to stretch the floor pretty damn well.

Marz

Try waiting for more than two games. Anderson was out (and I would argue he's the 2nd most important player for our offense). We played lackadaisically in the first half, but we seriously turned up the defense in the 2nd half. Jeff Bzdelik has done a great job, because when the Rockets are playing defense, either with Capela protecting the rim or Harrell on the court and the Rockets switching on everything, we've been able to get stops.

The major thing that concerns me is Lou Williams' role as play-maker. I feel like he needs to take an approach similar to that of what Harden and Gordon do when they're on the court together - Harden is a playmaker, Gordon is mostly a shooter, unless we're talking about one specific play. I'd prefer Beverley being handling the ball, and Lou being the main scorer who he kicks out to. It doesn't look like Lou has entirely adjusted to our team yet, regardless of our first two games, but even if he just is a Corey Brewer in the corner that makes his 3s, that should be enough.

I think I liked Harden playing defense on the power forward position. While he was easily the man being hidden on defense, he also helped box out and get defensive rebounds, and generally played good defense when he his man was driving into the paint.

A major weakness of ours is that, without Capela on the floor, we rely too heavily on Beverley's help defense on bigs. Beverley and Ariza did a REALLY fantastic job of not letting Hayward score anything in the 1st half, I think they only stopped because they needed to focus on the rest of the defense. But given that Beverley also needs to be guarding his man, it leaves a perimeter player open.

That reminds me - something that was frustrating me about the Spurs-Rockets game is that the Spurs were doing a really good job with using screens to take Ariza off of Kawhi. Beverley does a decent job defending him, but honestly lacks the size, but Ariza was actually good at slowing Kawhi down, if it wasn't for the fact that it felt like all of Kawhi's points were made after the Spurs made sure to separate the two.

Capela, and maybe even Harrell, outplayed Gobert. They both played fantastic. Gobert got a bunch of points early in the game where no one was really contending with him, especially if Capela was on the bench, but I think alot of that also had to do with the Rockets just having to concede to the 7 foot big man.

That being said, offensively, holy crap Capela played smart. He got so many dunks and lay-ups and tip-ins against Gobert. Even Harrell was similar. The thing about Gobert is that his very presence was changing our shots, and too often Capela would get the ball, have a bunch of Jazz in the paint, and have to kick it back out to a shooter that was open and would miss.

Idk why we don't start Dekker more. We had that stretch of games in January where, with Anderson out, we started Brewer, and Dekker started once and scored 30 pts against the Grizzlies. In general, when the Rockets are playing lackadaisically, two of Beverley, Dekker, Harrell, and Capela should be on the floor. Maybe even 3. Those 4 fight hard for rebounds, and just generally play with more energy.

Harrell got to play for the first time in a looooong time. Man do I miss him. Against any team that plays more on the perimeter, he should flat out be starting. He had 6 straight points in the 4th quarter, and just played great in general, after not playing for how many games?

I really wish he could develop his 3 pt shot, if he can get it to even 30%, 32%, that would be enough, he could get minutes at the power forward spot, and we could play a more classic line-up while still being able to stretch the floor pretty damn well.

Harden guarded the power forward position last night but there weren't even any power forwards playing on the opposing team.

Top Bottom