• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Fjordson

I kinda wish Isaiah Thomas could somehow win MVP. Doesn't quite deserve it over a few others this year, but a guy who's maybe 5'8" becoming one of the best scorers in the league is pretty wild.

I'm curious, what do Boston fans want Ainge to do? Let him go, maybe draft a top PG this year, or give him the max?

Steph wasn't even the MVP of his own team. I mean, OK, Durant went down with an injury 2/3rds into the season, which changes things a bit, but Durant was clearly outplaying Curry for the first few months of the season, and you can't just ignore October-February when determining MVP. I guess you could say part of it was because his numbers have fallen off from the frankly absurd last two seasons he had, but I maintain it's because it's hard to gain traction in an MVP conversation when there's a strong case that your teammate is outplaying you.
Curry was having a better effect on the team even when KD was playing. He just affects the game far more than someone like KD whose a more complete player. That was when he wasn't on his game until recently, I don't know what's going to happen to these teams if Steph can keep that form with KD playing. :\

4th year in a row he is either top or 2nd in +/-

Jacce

Banned
I kinda wish Isaiah Thomas could somehow win MVP. Doesn't quite deserve it over a few others this year, but a guy who's maybe 5'8" becoming one of the best scorers in the league is pretty wild.

I'm curious, what do Boston fans want Ainge to do? Let him go, maybe draft a top PG this year, or give him the max?
If Boston gets the first or second pick they are grabbing Fultz/Ball one of the two PGs. There is literally 0% chance they wouldn't. Both are strong possibilities for a franchise defining player. No team would skip over them.

If Boston gets Fultz or Ball IT will no longer be the starting PG long after. Move him to the 2 perhaps. You don't draft a player like Fultz and not have him become your starting PG.

Either they trade the pick or make Fultz/Ball their new starting PG.

I'm still surprised I'm taller than him. If only I could play in the NBA.

Sure but as you mentioned the injury changes things. KD was the best on the team for awhile, but for the season you can't really say he was the most valuable because he missed so many games. If KD had stayed healthy and played at the same level he was before the injury, do you think he would be in the MVP discussion?

I'm saying Steph can't be the MVP of the league because for over half the season he was not the MVP of his team, and everyone else in the conversation (Harden, Westbrook, LeBron and Kawhi) all were, unequivocally. If KD had stayed healthy and played as consistently as he was in the Fall/Winter, I'd still have Westbrook and Harden above him, and probably Kawhi and LeBron as well because KD and Curry were very close.

And Curry's three pointers aren't impressive anymore. He's on pace to do ~80% of what he did last year. And, sorry, but that's not that exciting. Yes, he shot threes at an absolutely insane rate last year, but that's the precedent now, so getting excited about him getting within 20% of that mark is hard to care about. For comparison, Ray Allen set the record with 269 (back before Curry kept breaking it); would anyone have given a shit if Jesus Shuttlesworth came out and hit 216 threes the next year? No, because that's frankly not that close to what we know he's capable of based on what he's actually done. Curry's going to go down as the best three point shooter in league history by a country mile and he'll hold the single season record for probably decades to come, but by doing so, he's made 320 feel pedestrian. "Oh look, he averaged 4 made threes per game... but it's not 5."

iB7NmtK.jpg

LOL.

rambis

Banned
So the 2nd best 3pt season since the 3pt line was invented

But anyone could do that

By virtue of him taking the most 3PAs of all time he has the most 3PMs of all time in one of the fastest paced leagues since the 60s. Thats as historic as his season gets.

Hitta93

Banned
Russell is a worse defender on the perimeter than Harden.
Source?

I would let him walk, can't see Boston winning anything if he's the #1 option.

Line_HTX

Jonathan Feigen‏ @Jonathan_Feigen 2h2 hours ago

Harden needs 5 assists tmrw to be first player in NBA history with at least 2,000 points, 900 assists and 600 rebounds in a single season.

5 assists shouldn't be too difficult. It'll put a stamp to his record setting season along with the team jacking up 3's like never before, haha

U2NUMB

Wolves first full re branding since 1996 hits tonight.. new logo while new uniforms follow in may.. Fingers crossed it looks good.

Personally I'd give him the max and would draft Fultz to replace either Smart or Bradley, who both play over 30 minutes per night and are really inconsistent. I wouldn't draft Ball because I'm not a huge fan of his game. I'd take Jackson if we fail to land Fultz and it gets fuzzy afterwards if we don't pick in the Top 3, but really there's plenty of minutes for a top guard in Boston.

Supposedly leaked on Reddit. http://imgur.com/a/pkMJZ

It's started with the Hawks, are NBA teams really going for these "volt" like colorways to appeal to millennials and Gen Z peeps?

Not saying it looks bad. But imagine every team with super bright colors lol

Edit: I'm not saying the Hawks started it either. I'm just saying that was their reasoning, along with a tribute to the Pete marovich era

For some unexplained reason the Nets are resting guys against the Bulls Wednesday. If the Hawks win tonight that Heat, Pacers, Bulls 3 way is gonna be even more anticlimactic than originally projected.

For some unexplained reason the Nets are resting guys against the Bulls Wednesday. If the Hawks win tonight that Heat, Pacers, Bulls 3 way is gonna be even more anticlimactic than originally projected.

It sucks but I can see why. Nets have absolutely zero stakes in this final match.

The Nets are doing what they can to improve the Bulls chances of getting that 7th seed vs the Cavs 1st round.

I may not have calculated this right, but if Bulls win and the Pacers lose tomorrow to the Celtics, the Bulls and Pacers have the same record (41-41), and since they are tied head to head (2-2), and they are in the same division, they would go by their division record, where the Bulls are 9-7 and the Pacers are 8-8. That would give the Bulls 7th seed and 1st round vs the Cavs, right?.

But at the same time, if the Heat win v the Wiz tomorrow (and Pacers lose), they too will share the same record as the Pacers (41-41). and since they only played each other 3 times, with the Heat winning 2/3, that would mean the Pacers then slip to 9th and out of the playoffs.... giving the Heat 8th seed.

The Wizards & the Nets have nothing to play for, and yet the Celtics really want to keep that #1 seed from the Cavs. So while all 3 teams need the win, it looks like the Pacers v Celtics game is gonna be the battleground game here.

I bet Lebron is hoping he could concede 2nd seed too. LOL

The Nets are doing what they can to improve the Bulls chances of getting that 7th seed vs the Cavs 1st round.

I may not have calculated this right, but if Bulls win and the Pacers lose tomorrow to the Celtics, the Bulls and Pacers have the same record (41-41), and since they are tied head to head (2-2), and they are in the same division, they would go by their division record, where the Bulls are 9-7 and the Pacers are 8-8. That would give the Bulls 7th seed and 1st round vs the Cavs, right?.

But at the same time, if the Heat win v the Wiz tomorrow (and Pacers lose), they too will share the same record as the Pacers (41-41). and since they only played each other 3 times, with the Heat winning 2/3, that would mean the Pacers then slip to 9th and out of the playoffs.... giving the Heat 8th seed.

The Wizards & the Nets have nothing to play for, and yet the Celtics really want to keep that #1 seed from the Cavs. So while all 3 teams need the win, it looks like the Pacers v Celtics game is gonna be the battleground game here.

Pacers are playing the Hawks tomorrow my friend. The Hawks secure the 5th seed with a win tonight(up almost 20 right now) so they're definitely resting guys Wednesday. The Heat season is going to rest in the hands of the Nets and Hawks bench. Heat season isn't over officially, but its probably over.

Servbot24

Banned
Pacers are playing the Hawks tomorrow my friend. The Hawks secure the 5th seed with a win tonight(up almost 20 right now) so they're definitely resting guys Wednesday. The Heat season is going to rest in the hands of the Nets and Hawks bench. Heat season isn't over officially, but its probably over.
That's also assuming Heat can beat Wizards, who may be going for 3rd seed.

Is the only reason Steph isn't in the conversation because he's had two MVPs back to back? Both Curry and LeBron seem to be ruled out just because they've set such high expectations.

He wasn't the best player on his team this season. Durant was an MVP candidate up until his injury

damn... not sure where I got Celtics from but the Hawks are trying to keep that 5th seed and face the Wiz. So the Pacers are still out of luck if they were hoping someone would rest some players for them.

That's also assuming Heat can beat Wizards, who may be going for 3rd seed.

Wizards are 4th seed rooted.
Raptors are 3rd seed rooted.

Wizards have no gain in playoff position by fighting for another win. Only reason to fight for the win is to keep the Heat out of the playoffs, and I'm not sure if they care about that or not.

It's about that time, making my All-NBA Predictions:

1st Team: Westbrook, Harden, LBJ, Leonard, Gobert
2nd Team: Curry, Wall, Durant, Antetokounmpo, Davis
3rd Team: Thomas, DeRozan, Butler, PG13, Gasol or Whiteside

Guards and Centers are the hardest to predict.

damn... not sure where I got Celtics from but the Hawks are trying to keep that 5th seed and face the Wiz. So the Pacers are still out of luck if they were hoping someone would rest some players for them.

Wizards are 4th seed rooted.
Raptors are 3rd seed rooted.

Wizards have no gain in playoff position by fighting for another win. Only reason to fight for the win is to keep the Heat out of the playoffs, and I'm not sure if they care about that or not.

Hawks have the tie breaker against the Bucks though. Heat are assed out. Dropping that game to the Knicks bench @ home killed em.

phanphare

Banned
What happened to Charlotte? Weren't they good at the beginning of the season?

combination of a lot of things but poor playing and injuries mostly. hibbert didn't work out, plumlee got injured once he got here, cody was injured for a bit. so the 4/5 situation was interesting for a lot of the season. they fell off after christmas and didn't recover until it was too late.

Hawks have the tie breaker against the Bucks though. Heat are assed out. Dropping that game to the Knicks bench @ home killed em.

Yeah, but if shit goes south and somehow the bucks win and the Hawks lose.... positions switch. Hawks getting that win leaves nothing up to chance.

edit: scratch that, my ESPN wasn't updated.
Hawks are 43-38
Bucks are 42-39

Heat are in if they and the Bulls win and then Pacers lose though.

Top Bottom