• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Tommy DJ

Everyone seems to think Lamarcus Aldridge is no longer an all star caliber player anymore for some reason. I've watched plenty of their games and I don't see the drop off everyone else claims to see.

His career averages are 19 points, 8.3 rebounds, 48.6% shooting. This year he's averaging 17.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 47.3% shooting. Those aren't significant drop offs and I would say the main reason for the slight dip in numbers is that he's no longer the number 1 option on offense. Leonard is the second best player in the NBA and has surpassed Aldridge as the go to guy. That doesn't mean Aldridge is shit now it just means Leonard is that good. LA gets under 15 shot attempts a game where in Portland he consistently got around 20. He also has been one of the defensive anchors for one of the best defenses in the league. He also is a player that has shown on multiple occasions that he has another level come postseason. Aldridge is still very much one of the top 25 players in the NBA.

The spurs biggest problem is their guard play. Parker and Mills are simply not good enough considering how great the point guard position is throughout the league.

Aldridge is offensively polarizing in the same way Danny Green is.

They're both very solid and consistent defensively but their offenses are far too shaky to just look at season averages. If you look at averages, you'd never know that Danny Green spent 1/4 of the season shooting 20% or worse. Same deal with Aldridge spending 1/3rd of the season shooting less than 40% on long 2s, which is anything but efficient.

Their averages even out to something good because both players have games where they simply light up the opposing defense, like Aldridge shooting 80% against the Suns.

For what its worth, Aldridge had similar problems in Portland where his offensive performance was extremely variable and he either looked like a god or the softest big man in the world when his shot was cold.

Boogs31

Aldridge is offensively polarizing in the same way Danny Green is.

They're both very solid and consistent defensively but their offenses are far too shaky to just look at season averages. If you look at averages, you'd never know that Danny Green spent 1/4 of the season shooting 20% or worse. Same deal with Aldridge spending 1/3rd of the season shooting less than 40% on long 2s, which is anything but efficient.

Their averages even out to something good because both players have games where they simply light up the opposing defense, like Aldridge shooting 80% against the Suns.

For what its worth, Aldridge had similar problems in Portland where his offensive performance was extremely variable and he either looked like a god or the softest big man in the world when his shot was cold.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say a guy is bad and only mention the games he plays poorly. A player is not judged on one poor performance or one great performance. You take the whole package. And yes, Aldridge might have some underwhelming offensive performances from time to time, but his consistent defense and his offensive firepower when he gets hot more than make up for it. He's still a really good player. Is he the best player on the Spurs? No, but everybody needs to stop with this "Spurs have only 1 all star" crap.

And Danny Green is not a good comparison because he's a role player. He's averaging 7 points a game. All he does is shoot threes and play defense. Aldridge is still more than capable of being a focal point of the offense in the post. The Spurs choose not to utilize that skill on a consistent basis and therefore limit Aldridge's upside offensively. They will go to him more in the playoffs when teams are locked in defensively and he will deliver. He's been a really good postseason player in his career.

Exodust

Banned
shit happens in my life and I step back from stuff including the NBA, and now I see the Celtics as the number 1 seed in the east? What the hell happened since I was gone?

FZZ

Banned
reddit post said:
I feel so bad for Harden. The amount of disrespect he gets is unprecedented: In 2015, he gets snubbed of an MVP to Curry and was told by media members and a large portion of the NBA fan base it was because Steph was more efficient than him, was a seed higher than him due to him having better teammates and a better coaching system, despite putting up Godly raw stats, and that Steph had the narrative of the surprising rising superstar who achieved more than we thought he could. In 2016, he doesn't even make a fucking All-NBA team because he lacked the team success. This year, he's putting up both Godly stats, with very good efficiency, as a 3rd seed which no one or their mothers expected from him, and it's looking like people will vote Westbrook for MVP, claiming that Hardens much greater efficiency and 3 seed advantage doesn't make up for the minuscule difference in their raw stats and that he doesn't have a round 10 in his rebound column as a guard, while also claiming he can't be MVP over Russ because Hardens teammates are slightly better than Russ's and his success can largely be attributed to his new coaching staff with D'Antoni. Fucking ridiculous, people need to make up their minds.

lmao so true

ViciousDS

Banned
I want Westbrook to win MVP to watch hyper go in uber defense mode and start posting a bunch of stats......of which I don't care because I think both deserve it. But meltdowns would be glorious!!!!

"In David Aldridge's latest article, he picked Westbrook for MVP in part because "we all thought the only place they were headed was the Lottery", but picked them to make the postseason this year"

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/...ok-james-harden-mvp?collection=david-aldridge

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/10/24/morning-tip-24-predictions-for-2016-17-season

C9FHzkXUMAAaeUP.jpg

I'm so fucking done

Oh, and before you say pre-season predictions shouldn't matter, you have to consider that pre-season predictions was one of the biggest reasons Harden got snubbed for the All-NBA team last year
Media has been on WB's nutsack this entire season. But these are the same people that use narratives over using bbiq. Just take solace in the fact that Rockets are bend OKC and pound them from behind over a 5 game series while WB gets all the important empty stats. It looks like WB has got the MVP, Skip Bayless went full retard and even called his season the best RS ever lmao

I actually feel bad for Harden even though he plays the ugliest game in the NBA. That reddit post nails it.

shit happens in my life and I step back from stuff including the NBA, and now I see the Celtics as the number 1 seed in the east? What the hell happened since I was gone?
PJoLp4gDIqjYs.gif

Ripenen

Imagine if we got MVP Steph all year and we had to choose between 3 ridiculous guards for MVP

Is the only reason Steph isn't in the conversation because he's had two MVPs back to back? Both Curry and LeBron seem to be ruled out just because they've set such high expectations.

Steph didn't get any traction for MVP this year because he's already won 2 and KD looked like the best player on the team prior to the injury. If the team core stays together, I don't see how any of them winning an MVP.

Hitta93

Banned
Is the only reason Steph isn't in the conversation because he's had two MVPs back to back? Both Curry and LeBron seem to be ruled out just because they've set such high expectations.

Curry just hasn't had a good year at all, definitely not MVP worthy

He was basically a role player
He has to be share the offense with Durant, he's had a great year. LeBron ruined his chances with the rest games.
What about Al Horford, the Tim Duncan of our era?

No.

Tall4Life

He's had a great year by normal person standards. But definitely not as good as Russ or Harden. Maayyyyybe you could put him in 6th place behind Kawhi, LeBron and IT
I mean yeah it's not like he's playing at a high school level but he's still playing below what he was at when he won both MVP awards, there are multiple others like Harden and Kawaii and Westbrook that have had better seasons.

Servbot24

Banned
I mean yeah it's not like he's playing at a high school level but he's still playing below what he was at when he won both MVP awards, there are multiple others like Harden and Kawaii and Westbrook that have had better seasons.

He's actually pretty comparable to his first MVP season. More points and fewer turnovers, but also lowered shooting percentages

Steph wasn't even the MVP of his own team. I mean, OK, Durant went down with an injury 2/3rds into the season, which changes things a bit, but Durant was clearly outplaying Curry for the first few months of the season, and you can't just ignore October-February when determining MVP. I guess you could say part of it was because his numbers have fallen off from the frankly absurd last two seasons he had, but I maintain it's because it's hard to gain traction in an MVP conversation when there's a strong case that your teammate is outplaying you.

Misterhbk

Steph wasn't even the MVP of his own team. I mean, OK, Durant went down with an injury 2/3rds into the season, which changes things a bit, but Durant was clearly outplaying Curry for the first few months of the season, and you can't just ignore October-February when determining MVP. I guess you could say part of it was because his numbers have fallen off from the frankly absurd last two seasons he had, but I maintain it's because it's hard to gain traction in an MVP conversation when there's a strong case that your teammate is outplaying you.

Durant and Steph both knew they weren't winning another MVP this year. And frankly I don't think either of them give a rats ass. The only thing that matters is winning that 16th game in June.

Steph even said as much recently. That the MVP is essentially decided in Nov-Dec. if you aren't one of the two lead guys that the narrative fits for that year you don't have a chance. Russ was going to win this running away and we all knew it. The triple double writing was on the wall the moment Durant left OKC. And he became everyone's favorite player in the same moment. I think it'll shift back to Lebron, Kawhi battling for it next season.

Servbot24

Banned
Durant and Steph both knew they weren't winning another MVP this year. And frankly I don't think either of them give a rats ass. The only thing that matters is winning that 16th game in June.

Steph even said as much recently. That the MVP is essentially decided in Nov-Dec. if you aren't one of the two lead guys that the narrative fits for that year you don't have a chance. Russ was going to win this running away and we all knew it. The triple double writing was on the wall the moment Durant left OKC. And he became everyone's favorite player in the same moment. I think it'll shift back to Lebron, Kawhi battling for it next season.

Poor Harden is never gonna get it. Or a ring for that matter

Bread

Banned
if you're disappointed by hortford maybe you should have watched him play before this year

and maybe you should watch the celtics play without him

Ripenen

Sure but as you mentioned the injury changes things. KD was the best on the team for awhile, but for the season you can't really say he was the most valuable because he missed so many games. If KD had stayed healthy and played at the same level he was before the injury, do you think he would be in the MVP discussion?

Fjordson

Curry just hasn't had a good year at all, definitely not MVP worthy
Nope. Still historically good, especially post-Christmas.

But Harden and Russ have been more consistent. And a lot of the narrative around MVP builds in the first few months. Even just for the season in general (prime example right here with the idea that Steph hasn't had a good year).

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

But Harden and Russ have been more consistent. And a lot of the narrative around MVP builds in the first few months. Even just for the season in general (prime example right here with the idea that Steph hasn't had a good year).

To my eyes Steph didn't really look like Steph from the point of his injury in last year's playoffs until about late February this year (I'd like to dig into the stats on this). I know everyone claimed he was healthy but something was off (but as you point out - still outstanding by most measures) and it seems like he has just recently returned to form. If he replicated the same year he had last year he would still be the clear cut MVP although almost certainly wouldn't be unanimous with a number of voters really hung up on counting stats.

rambis

Banned

Historic probably gets thrown around far too often these days. There's nothing quite noteworthy about his line this year, especially when pace adjusted which I feel like no one does. And he's seemed wildly inconsistent up until the last couple months.

Fjordson

Historic probably gets thrown around far too often these days. There's nothing quite noteworthy about his line this year, especially when pace adjusted which I feel like no one does. And he's seemed wildly inconsistent up until the last couple months.
47/41/90 splits while making the second most 3's in NBA history. Literally making history.

Not saying he's the MVP, though. Russ and Harden have been amazing all season. I would also easily put Lebron ahead of him. Just been a crazy year for individual performances.

spyder_ur

Not saying he's the MVP, though. Russ and Harden have been amazing all season. I would also easily put Lebron ahead of him. Just been a crazy year for individual performances.

To that point, here's a Ringer article about the 10 best stat lines of the year.

I'm so confused - is every seed in the east still up for grabs, or are there some teams locked in? Assuming the Celts stay at 1, I'd love for the Hawks to slip to 6, though I actually think they'd give the Wiz major problems in the first round.

Fjordson

To that point, here's a Ringer article about the 10 best stat lines of the year.

I'm so confused - is every seed in the east still up for grabs, or are there some teams locked in? Assuming the Celts stay at 1, I'd love for the Hawks to slip to 6, though I actually think they'd give the Wiz major problems in the first round.
Wow, I'd forgot about some of these, thanks. NBA really is filled with talent.

rambis

Banned
47/41/90 splits while making the second most 3's in NBA history. Literally making history.

Three pointers made are the only thing thats mildly historic in that sentence, and even then, Im sure there's a pace adjustment to be made. Im not even sure we had a three point line the last time the league was at this pace. Again, probably thrown around a bit too much..

Fjordson

Three pointers made are the only thing thats mildly historic in that sentence, and even then, Im sure there's a pace adjustment to be made. Im not even sure we had a three point line the last time the league was at this pace. Again, probably thrown around a bit too much..
If you say so breh.

Servbot24

Banned

So the 2nd best 3pt season since the 3pt line was invented

But anyone could do that

Top Bottom