• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

FZZ

Banned
He is literally the worst coach in the entire league

This guy is honestly baffling in how bad he is as a coach and how fast he blows leads

A part of me thought it was a player issue to, but nah he's just lost and doesn't know what to do with every fucking weapon he has on the team

Tonight? Nah they went against a solid team undermanned.

They had solid leads out the first and third and blew them all

There is a consistent problem where teams are able to grind there way back and beat the Cavs

Our playoff hopes rest in the hands of the Nets and Hawks.

87wQl.gif

TTG

The Nets shoot a ton of 3s right? So, there's a snowball's chance they put up 120, there's a better than snowball's chance Hawks beat the Pacers, but first of all the Heat have to win against a substantially better team.

Dammit Cavs. Still giving the Heat a chance.

Pacers got to win the last one.

So let me get this straight, given that all 3 teams won. They all have home games for the last game of the season. All three games start at the same time, 7 PM CT, April 12.

If: the Pacers lose to the Hawks, the Bulls beat the Nets, the Heat beat the Wizards
Then: Heat and Bulls win tie-breakers, Bulls get 7th seed, Heat get 8th seed.

If: the Pacers win, the Bulls win, and the Heat win. OR the Pacers win, the Bulls lose, the Heat lose.
Then: Pacers get 7th seed, Bulls win tie-breaker for 8th seed.

If one of the Bulls or Heat lose and the other wins, the 2nd gets into the playoffs. If the Pacers lose, both the Bulls and Heat have tie-breakers over Indiana iirc (not sure about the Bulls, they're 2-2 this season, but I think they have a better record within the division, courtesy of the Cavaliers sweep)

random25

So let me get this straight, given that all 3 teams won. They all have home games for the last game of the season. All three games start at the same time, 7 PM CT, April 12.

If: the Pacers lose to the Hawks, the Bulls beat the Nets, the Heat beat the Wizards
Then: Heat and Bulls win tie-breakers, Bulls get 7th seed, Heat get 8th seed.

If: the Pacers win, the Bulls win, and the Heat win. OR the Pacers win, the Bulls lose, the Heat lose.
Then: Pacers get 7th seed, Bulls win tie-breaker for 8th seed.

If one of the Bulls or Heat lose and the other wins, the 2nd gets into the playoffs. If the Pacers lose, both the Bulls and Heat have tie-breakers over Indiana iirc (not sure about the Bulls, they're 2-2 this season, but I think they have a better record within the division, courtesy of the Cavaliers sweep)

Either Chicago or Miami loses the Pacers will seal their playoff spot. They are guaranteed 8th at that scenario. If the Pacers win the last one they are 7th at any scenario. If the Pacers lose and both Chicago and Miami win, then both will get 7th and 8th respectively while the Pacers get eliminated.

Wizards will beat Heat on Thursday. Unless they rest players on purpose.

The Wizards players want 50 wins badly. They haven't hit that since Jimmy Carter

Our playoff hopes rest in the hands of the Nets and Hawks.

87wQl.gif

Here's my analysis of the situation:

1) These Nets are the Brook-Lin nets, so they're decent?
2) The Bulls beat good teams, lose to bad teams.
3) The Hawks beat good teams, lose to bad teams.
4) The Pacers are currently in the 2nd born-ready era
5) The Wizards have been less hot post-ASB, but are hungry for 50 wins.

Basically, I have zero fucking clue. If the Nets and Pacers had been trash coming in, I would be pretty certain about them beating the Bulls and Hawks. But that's not the case atm.

Also, let's look at some other match-ups coming up:

1) Milwaukee Bucks @ Boston Celtics:
- Celtics won an overtime game against the Bucks 112-108 on January 28
- Bucks won on March 29 against the Celtics 103-100
- Bucks are currently 42-39. Hawks 42-38 (play vs Hornets then @Pacers back to back)
- Hawks have the season series, 3-1, so to capture 5th seed Bucks need to win and Hawks would need to lose both games

2) Toronto Raptors @ Cleveland Cavaliers:
- Raptors played 3 close games against Cleveland from November to December, one of Love or Frye went hot from the 3 every time
- If Raptors win, they stay in 3rd seed, and Cavs stay in 2nd seed (Cavs have tie-breaker)
- If Cavs win, and Boston wins, same deal
- If Cavs win, and Boston loses, Cavs own tie-breaker over Boston

The Raptors and Wizards are the only locked playoff positions in the East

Cavs / LeBron just doesn't want to play Bulls in the first round or the wizards in the second round
SHOOK

He'd cancel out Paul George if they play the Pacers and the raptors ain't shit
Heat would also give them problems

Yup, makes no sense for them not to rest. But, I can see huge backlash if they did. Which is silly because them resting improves their playoff chances why risk your main play makers?

Yeah at this point it's down to how much they want that 50th win, because that's the only real incentive for going all in in this last game.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The Wizards players want 50 wins badly. They haven't hit that since Jimmy Carter

Yeah at this point it's down to how much they want that 50th win, because that's the only real incentive for going all in in this last game.

Totally slipped my mind about the 50 win stat very good point. That in my mind tips the scale on them not resting..but who knows NBA been wacky past few weeks.

Troy Williams. Chinanu Onuaku. Bobby Brown. Isiah Taylor.

These last few weeks we've found a bunch of random players that actually play pretty decently out of nowhere. Or maybe Harden's basically pulling some of those Lebron-effect style shenanigans and making his teammates good rotation players. Either way, these guys weren't getting serious minutes, or minutes at all, about a month ago...

If we beat the Clippers with Bobby Brown, Troy Williams, Chinanu Onuaku, and Montrezl Harrel and Ryan Anderson defending DeAndre Jordan, then I don't want to hear anymore about Harden's teammates, because it seems really fucking obvious that Harden's teammates play that well because they are Harden's teammates

I called Montrezel being good because I now fully believe that any sub 6'9 PF with a high motor will be a good NBA player

He's amazing when guarding perimeter players. Problem is when the opposing center is taller than 6'10'', we start to really start to have rebounding problems then.

He's apparently working on his 3 pt shot, which would mean he could get minutes at the 4 and really help our rotation. For how good of a defender he can be, with his versatility and length, we could create some seriously great defensive lineups.

Thinking something like:

Beverley/???/Ariza/Harrell/Capela

But that depends on his 3 pt shot becoming serviceable. Until then, he's stuck being stuck in center-by-committee (or depending on rest) limbo

That being said, it's not like he can't protect the rim, and you sometimes get opponents who don't seem to realize he has the same wingspan as our 6'11'' center.

LionPride

Banned
He's amazing when guarding perimeter players. Problem is when the opposing center is taller than 6'10'', we start to really start to have rebounding problems then.

He's apparently working on his 3 pt shot, which would mean he could get minutes at the 4 and really help our rotation. For how good of a defender he can be, with his versatility and length, we could create some seriously great defensive lineups.

Thinking something like:

Beverley/???/Ariza/Harrell/Capela

But that depends on his 3 pt shot becoming serviceable. Until then, he's stuck being stuck in center-by-committee (or depending on rest) limbo

That being said, it's not like he can't protect the rim, and you sometimes get opponents who don't seem to realize he has the same wingspan as our 6'11'' center.
Seeing him play at Louisville, I realized that not only did I want him standing next to KAT in Minny, but also that he was gonna be good.

Maybe we can pick up Swanigan in the 2nd Round this year...

Just learned that OKC is 32-9 when Russ has a triple double. Sky high usage.

In fact, you can't have any OKC players on your fantasy team, lmao.

"In David Aldridge's latest article, he picked Westbrook for MVP in part because "we all thought the only place they were headed was the Lottery", but picked them to make the postseason this year"

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/04/...ok-james-harden-mvp?collection=david-aldridge

http://www.nba.com/article/2016/10/24/morning-tip-24-predictions-for-2016-17-season

David Aldridge said:
In the end, I give the nod to Westbrook, a player who has defied history and back-to-backs and 24 consecutive missed shots in one game (!) and led his team to the playoffs when we all thought the only place they were headed was the Lottery.

C9FHzkXUMAAaeUP.jpg

I'm so fucking done

Oh, and before you say pre-season predictions shouldn't matter, you have to consider that pre-season predictions was one of the biggest reasons Harden got snubbed for the All-NBA team last year

"We thought they only place they were headed was the lottery"

But Vegas had their O/U at 45 wins. Maybe you were just badly misinformed, David.

If anything, it's the Rockets (Vegas preseason O/U was 41 wins) that are overachieving if you want to twist that narrative in favor of one guy over the other.

"We thought they only place they were headed was the lottery"

But Vegas had their O/U at 45 wins. Maybe you were just badly misinformed, David.

If anything, it's the Rockets (Vegas preseason O/U was 41 wins) that are overachieving if you want to twist that narrative in favor of one guy over the other.

that image was from an article written by aldridge

Boogs31

What all star does San Antonio outside of Lenoard? People this year think the spurs roster is really good and it's not. Lenoard is carrying the team hands down. L.A has not been an all star this year and is very inconsistent. No one else on the team is even close . Washed Parker? Old man gasol who plays no defense? I am spurs fan but I would be shocked if we make it out of the second round. They need better talent around Lenoard. Some of the young players look promising but they're not ready

Everyone seems to think Lamarcus Aldridge is no longer an all star caliber player anymore for some reason. I've watched plenty of their games and I don't see the drop off everyone else claims to see.

His career averages are 19 points, 8.3 rebounds, 48.6% shooting. This year he's averaging 17.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 47.3% shooting. Those aren't significant drop offs and I would say the main reason for the slight dip in numbers is that he's no longer the number 1 option on offense. Leonard is the second best player in the NBA and has surpassed Aldridge as the go to guy. That doesn't mean Aldridge is shit now it just means Leonard is that good. LA gets under 15 shot attempts a game where in Portland he consistently got around 20. He also has been one of the defensive anchors for one of the best defenses in the league. He also is a player that has shown on multiple occasions that he has another level come postseason. Aldridge is still very much one of the top 25 players in the NBA.

The spurs biggest problem is their guard play. Parker and Mills are simply not good enough considering how great the point guard position is throughout the league.

Everyone seems to think Lamarcus Aldridge is no longer an all star caliber player anymore for some reason. I've watched plenty of their games and I don't see the drop off everyone else claims to see.

His career averages are 19 points, 8.3 rebounds, 48.6% shooting. This year he's averaging 17.3 points, 7.4 rebounds and 47.3% shooting. Those aren't significant drop offs and I would say the main reason for the slight dip in numbers is that he's no longer the number 1 option on offense. Leonard is the second best player in the NBA and has surpassed Aldridge as the go to guy. That doesn't mean Aldridge is shit now it just means Leonard is that good. LA gets under 15 shot attempts a game where in Portland he consistently got around 20. He also has been one of the defensive anchors for one of the best defenses in the league. Aldridge is still very much one of the top 25 players in the NBA.

Why include career averages, ever? His first season, he scored 9.0 ppg. He hasn't scored fewer points since his sophomore year.

Career average means you're including years when they're barely in the league

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

Boogs31

Why include career averages, ever? His first season, he scored 9.0 ppg. He hasn't scored fewer points since his sophomore year.

Career average means you're including years when they're barely in the league

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/aldrila01.html

If it were multiple seasons where he wasn't anywhere near himself then I wouldn't have done it. It probably changes the math from 19 ppg to 20ppg. It doesn't change my point that the dropoff in production is not as significant as most people claim.

I just did the math and if you take his career average minus the 1 year you're referencing it's 20.3.

In 24 games, on 17.4 minutes per game, Troy Williams was shooting 24.4% from the 3 in Memphis. He shot 1.7 3s per game

In 4 games, on 28.0 mpg (more minutes), with 4.3 3s per game (more volume), Troy Williams is shooting 41.2% from the 3, in Houston.

I'm convinced. Bobby Brown was knocking down shots playing next to Harden. It seems pretty obvious that the Rockets shooters partially shoot so well because Harden creates so well, and partially shoot so well because they then gain confidence in their shot and because good shooting seems to be infectious

Top Bottom