• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

scoobs

Ya and he's also on the Spurs, who've won 60+ games for 15 years with our without Kawhi, not to mention the unbelievable teammates/mentors Duncan, Parker, & Ginobli, and the best head coach to ever live IMO in Popovich.

The Wolves are a different story, the establishment isn't there. Their head coach & GM just passed away, and they are building around Wiggins and KAT and presumably will be good in the future. Don't really buy that argument.

To expect that roster last year with THAT head coach to win games is just patently absurd. However, the future is bright now in Minnesota and I expect them to start contending in the next year or two.

If the Wolves aren't winning 45+ games in 2 years, then you can be concerned about them.

Sandfox

He had 10 rebounds and 4 assists tonight as well. Pretty great game.

I do find a lot of that sentiment about Wiggins though, and it feels really unfair to me. He's 21 years old (3-4 years away from entering his prime), and people trash him cuz he isn't a shot creater yet? Kawhi Leonard has averaged 2 assists a game his entire career and nobody says a damn thing about it, why is Wiggins held to some higher standard? "I mean ya, he's averaging 27 a game, but he only had 2 assists, meh".

It feels like people just want to hate him, not sure why though he's such a likable personality and a phenomenal athlete/player. Maybe its my KU bias coming through, but I love the guy and can't wait to see him dominate the league.
Kawhi doesn't get criticized because he's plays at a high level offensively, while being a a two time defensive player of the year as a player taken with the 15th pick in the draft. Playing for the Spurs and being an NBA Finals MVP also helps in that regard lol.

I don't think there's anyone who believes Wiggins is done developing as a player, but that doesn't mean I can't question parts of his game, despite thinking he's a gifted scorer. I even stated that my opinion was mostly based on last year lol. Also, being the #1 pick means he will always have higher expectations on him in addition to the fact that people were calling him the next Lebron before he even got to college.

I do find a lot of that sentiment about Wiggins though, and it feels really unfair to me. He's 21 years old (3-4 years away from entering his prime), and people trash him cuz he isn't a shot creater yet? Kawhi Leonard has averaged 2 assists a game his entire career and nobody says a damn thing about it, why is Wiggins held to some higher standard? "I mean ya, he's averaging 27 a game, but he only had 2 assists, meh".

It feels like people just want to hate him, not sure why though he's such a likable personality and a phenomenal athlete/player. Maybe its my KU bias coming through, but I love the guy and can't wait to see him dominate the league.
That's because Leonard is overrated, and Spurs generally have a shield when it comes to criticism since they're the only likeable successful team in the NBA.

I do think Wiggins is average to terrible in every aspect other than scoring, but he can improve all areas if he works hard at it. I'm pretty certain it's unanimous that he is one of the youngins in the game. So he gets some hate until he rounds his game a bit, but people still respect a ton about his game.

That's because Leonard is overrated, and Spurs generally have a shield when it comes to criticism since they're the only likeable successful team in the NBA.

I do think Wiggins is average to terrible in every aspect other than scoring, but he can improve all areas if he works hard at it. I'm pretty certain it's unanimous that he is one of the youngins in the game. So he gets some hate until he rounds his game a bit, but people still respect a ton about his game.

Nah.

random25

Being the #1 overall pick and being hailed as the next LeBron way before he starts playing official NBA ball makes him vulnerable to these kinds of criticism. It's not like he's the only guy that people are critical of.

As for Kawhi, there's really no high expectations coming into the league, and he has exceeded them greatly several years after. It's not like he's immune to criticism either, especially when it comes to his consistency as a scoring option.

Fjordson

Yeah, Kawhi and Wiggins are completely different as far as expectations when they came into the league. Wiggins was hyped like crazy, Kawhi basically had none.

Weird comparison, though. Kawhi is way better (and older).

TTG

You aren't going to get love until you start winning. Nobody fucks with Kawhi cause his team won 67 games last year and the Twolves won 29, and thery're dissapointing this year too

They are still super young though

It's still early. After the top 3 in the West everyone's record is going to be banged up. More likely than not they'll make it to the playoffs.

giphy.gif

it's like trying to watch someone play Just Dance.

so sad.

How the hell does an NBA team have 8 assists on 33 makes?

Trust the Process™

They are though. Spurs will never piss people off since they don't have an arrogant team or coach, they don't showboat, or do anything that might piss people off. They're the boring elite team. Other teams will get 1-3 years at an elite level before they will be hated. Warriors are cocky AF on top being a super team, Cavs have le_passiveAggressive, Clips are the whiniest children in the sport, Raptors are just straight up too irrelevant for people to care, and the other teams are not good enough.

Gigglepoo

I can't believe the Pacers went from (potentially drafting) Kawhi Leonard to George Hill to Jeff Teague. As great as their management has been, that's one serious downgrade.

Any of you suprised by Hardens assists this season? I honestly didn't expect it.

yeah, especially because Ryan Anderson hasn't been as consistently spot up sharpshooting and Eric Gordon has mainly been acting as our secondary playmaker

Honestly, when Beverley comes back, I could see Gordon making a damn good case for 6MOTY. He's our 2nd best player offensively.

Sam Dekker has also been really awesome. If we ever, ever get D-Mo back, I hope that means Dekker gets Corey Brewer's spot on the rotation

Bread

Banned
Our Celtics are playing the ******** tonight! Please remember to only discuss Celtics players in this thread, keep all other subjects in the trash where they belong.

Gigglepoo

i remember people saying that kawhi for hill was a win for both sides

It was. I don't have a problem with trading a draft pick for a known quality and George Hill was really good in Indiana. There was no way to know Leonard was going to be an MVP candidate. The Pacers came within a hair of beating the Heat (twice!) and that wouldn't have happened with a lesser point guard. It was a win/win even if the Spurs got the better player.

I do have a problem with a lateral trade, though. If the Pacers had gotten, say, Mudiay -- a young PG with plenty of potential -- dumping Hill would have been easier to stomach. But Teague is basically on the same level as Hill (maybe a little worse...) so there was no improvement there. Weird trade.

Tom Penny

Our Celtics are playing the ******** tonight! Please remember to only discuss Celtics players in this thread, keep all other subjects in the trash where they belong.

How about that 30 million dollar man missing 9 games in a row because of a practice !!!

phanphare

Banned
My job blocked GAF but not facebook -_-

I think the hornets win tonight but if the Hawks win then :)

got a feeling the hornets are gonna take an L tonight. with hibbert coming off the bench and still seemingly restricted to about 15 minutes I think dwight's gonna bully them on the inside. second chance points are going to be a problem, I feel like.

we'll see, should be fun either way. wish I could have gone

jwhit28

Batum has to be the best guy to set picks for in the league. He makes Cody Zeller look like gold with how Batum finds him on the roll.

phanphare

Banned
yeah the batum zeller pick and roll is great. cody is really smart with his positioning and leveraging his agility. really love his game this season.

edit: did mkg just punish someone for going under a screen? what a time

Top Bottom