• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptunes

Does Russ make the hall of fame? Honest question, not trying to throw shade. Seems like he will based on stats even if he never gets past the first round of the playoffs again.
The voting process was finished before the playoffs began, and it seems like he is a lock.

I'm watching the final 5 minutes of rockets-okc and this was a godawful basketball sequence. We got Harden arm-locking high screens, Westbrook (3 times!) and Oladipo flailing any 3 point attempt to get a foul, Hack-a-Roberson (a wing player who can't shoot smh), the coach lets him continue for almost 2 minutes, Adams obstructs Westbrook, Westbrook throws a brick from half court (it actually goes in), no teammate believes it and they forget to foul in the next possession and it beautifully ends with Adams screening Wesbrook. What a beautiful shitfest.

Ripenen

Triple double season makes him a lock.

Do you think that kind of depends on what happens in the next 10 years? If a triple double becomes something to chase there are others who could potentially do it. Harden was close this year, and LeBron wasn't too far off either.

LionPride

Banned
Does Russ make the hall of fame? Honest question, not trying to throw shade. Seems like he will based on stats even if he never gets past the first round of the playoffs again.
He averaged a TD for a season, won MVP, has been scoring champ, multiple time all star(will cross 8 by the time he retires), All NBA, Olympic Gold medal, and hopefully will have one championship by career's end

Hitta93

Banned
Do you think that kind of depends on what happens in the next 10 years? If a triple double becomes something to chase there are others who could potentially do it. Harden was close this year, and LeBron wasn't too far off either.
Don't think many people care to chase it like Westbrook did this season.
He averaged a TD for a season, won MVP, has been scoring champ, multiple time all star(will cross 8 by the time he retires), All NBA, Olympic Gold medal, and hopefully will have one championship by career's end
We don't know if he's won MVP yet.

Otherwise yes, he has a good list of accolades right now.

Servbot24

Banned
Russ is definitely a lock for HOF, especially since he probably has a couple more prime years left. I don't see a championship in his future though, unless he leaves OKC

Ripenen

When you spell it out like that yeah it does seem pretty much guaranteed. Now I can look forward to what he'll wear to the induction ceremony and what he'll say about KD in his speech.

LionPride

Banned
Current players who I can see making the HoF:
KAT
KD
LeBron
Steph
AD
Russ
Harden
CP3
Kawhi
Kyrie
Love
Pau
Marc(international play)
Giannis
VC
Melo
Manu
TP
DWade
Dirk
Klay

spyder_ur

I'm watching the final 5 minutes of rockets-okc and this was a godawful basketball sequence. We got Harden arm-locking high screens, Westbrook (3 times!) and Oladipo flailing any 3 point attempt to get a foul, Hack-a-Roberson (a wing player who can't shoot smh), the coach lets him continue for almost 2 minutes, Adams obstructs Westbrook, Westbrook throws a brick from half court (it actually goes in), no teammate believes it and they forget to foul in the next possession and it beautifully ends with Adams screening Wesbrook. What a beautiful shitfest.

It was really awful. In a league with so much incredible play, it was a display of everything that was wrong about the NBA game in a 15 minute stretch. Intentional hacking, Iso play by Westbrook, flailing to draw fouls with no intention of shooting from Harden. Layer that on top of sloppy play and some truly abysmal coaching from Donovan, and it was not a very good product. Kind of a bummer for the signature first round series with the two players the media tells us are the only contenders for MVP.

The arm-lock flop and 'heave shot curling around screen' need to be addressed this offseason. I say that as a Celtics fan who generally benefit because Isaiah takes advantage. It's just awful basketball. Every fan in the arena knows that those aren't shots that are really going to be taken but are just thrown up to draw fouls. I don't understand why we can't put some faith in the referees to make that call too.

Russ is definitely a lock for HOF, especially since he probably has a couple more prime years left. I don't see a championship in his future though, unless he leaves OKC

Yeah there's very little question about Russ for HoF.

KAT
KD
LeBron
Steph
AD
Russ
Harden
CP3
Kawhi
Kyrie
Love
Pau
Marc(international play)
Giannis
VC
Melo
Manu
TP
DWade
Dirk
Klay

Basketball Reference does a HoF Probability for active players. You're on the right track, though a bunch of the ones you list are way too young to say either way.

Pau is a near lock but I think Marc is a stretch.

One you forgot that is a perfect edge case is Joe Johnson. Numbers wise he's very close. The above link puts him just above a 50/50 shot. He and Manu are probably the most interesting edge cases. Manu doesn't really have anywhere close to the numbers.

LionPride

Banned
Basketball Reference does a HoF Probability for active players. You're on the right track, though a bunch of the ones you list are way too young to say either way.

Pau is a near lock but I think Marc is a stretch.

One you forgot that is a perfect edge case is Joe Johnson. Numbers wise he's very close. The above link puts him just above a 50/50 shot. He and Manu are probably the most interesting edge cases. Manu doesn't really have anywhere close to the numbers.
For the younger players like KAT, AD, or Giannis, I'm thinking about their pace. They're 23 and younger and are already top 10/15 NBA players and can only get better. KAT is doing things that no player except for Shaq, Wilt, and AD have done. AD did things that only Wilt and Shaq have done. You see what I'm saying?

Marc is gonna make it, I feel it. I forgot all about Iso Joe, but he isn't making it. Manu will.

Piru Paulie will also make it.

Rondo? Nah
Draymond? Maybe, I don't think so.
Bosh? If Dumars can get in so can he

Tommy DJ

Yea, Spurs don't have enough room for another max contract unless he's take a mad pay cut, which I hella doubt.

But even if he was willing to do that for championship contender, Spurs would probably find difficult to convince him to join us considering we don't have an athletic big man to run the floor & catch all these lobs, assuming Dedmon gets a big contract elsewhere.

I don't think you'd even need a lob catching big man to convince him to play on the Spurs, assuming he wants a ring far more than that big fat check he's going to get from the Clippers. He'd be a huge pick for the Spurs because they get an active playmaker that can help Aldridge and Leonard offensively.

Its just that the Spurs just have too many awkward contracts and pieces that the only way they're going to become true championship competitors quickly is if Anderson/Bertans/Murray develop quickly. After they deal with Duncan's contract, they have to deal with Ginobili's and Parker's contracts. Ginobili is probably gone at the end of this season but Parker is still going to be sticking around. You could try and "Toronto Hakeem" Parker for some draft picks but he isn't worth shit and its difficult to do him dirty considering he's played so many playoff minutes for the Spurs. Then you have both Gasol's and Aldridge's contracts, which are big for pretty difficult to trade pieces. Gasol is old and a complete defensive liability and I don't think Aldridge is an analytic showpiece for the Daryl Moreys in the league.

And then the Spurs have to decide if they want to keep guys like Patty Mills, essentially an undersized shooting guard, pretty soon...

Unfortunately, its a time all franchises go through after their core ages and disintegrate. I guess count your blessings that you weren't tied down by Kobe's contract and the Tank Commander.

Zero chance Manu isn't making the HoF. Ignoring the 4x NBA championships, dude has some pretty huge accomplishments in the Euroleague and also took down the USA in the 2004 Olympics.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
KAT
KD
LeBron
Steph
AD
Russ
Harden
CP3
Kawhi
Kyrie
Love
Pau
Marc(international play)
Giannis
VC
Melo
Manu
TP
DWade
Dirk
Klay

Who are the locks if their careers ended today?

I'd go with: LeBron, KD, Curry, Manu, DWade, Dirk, CP3, Pau.

spyder_ur

For the younger players like KAT, AD, or Giannis, I'm thinking about their pace. They're 23 and younger and are already top 10/15 NBA players and can only get better. KAT is doing things that no player except for Shaq, Wilt, and AD have done. AD did things that only Wilt and Shaq have done. You see what I'm saying?

Marc is gonna make it, I feel it. I forgot all about Iso Joe, but he isn't making it. Manu will.

Piru Paulie will also make it.

Rondo? Nah
Draymond? Maybe, I don't think so.
Bosh? If Dumars can get in so can he

Yup, not disagreeing with your choices, just that so much can happen between now and retirement, particularly injuries. It's just impossible to speculate when they are that young.

Also, if playing well into your late 30s is now the norm like we see with Pierce, Vince, KG, Dirk, etc., we might need to reevaluate HoF credentials. Not in the case of those guys who are all locks, but just in terms of how we value counted stats. For example, if Joe Johnson puts up another 4 years at near this level, it'd be almost impossible to leave him out given the volume of numbers. Heck, what about a guy like Paul Millsap with his numbers for another 6 years or so?

Draymond would need to be a part of a bunch more championship teams to be considered, or to go somewhere else and put up bigger numbers.

Bosh is a virtual lock.

spyder_ur

Zero chance Manu isn't making the HoF. Ignoring the 4x NBA championships, dude has some pretty huge accomplishments in the Euroleague and also took down the USA in the 2004 Olympics.

I agree that he'll get in, but he's by no means a lock. His numbers just don't justify it, and that's alot of what decides who gets in the HoF. It will be interesting to see how the HoF sees this recent influx of foreign players and measures that, though.

Who are the locks if their careers ended today?

I'd go with: LeBron, KD, Curry, Manu, DWade, Dirk, CP3, Pau.

People here will hate it but Melo and Dwight are locks. Pierce obviously. Vince.

Is Kevin Love really HoF?

BBall Reference that I linked above has Iso Joe, Love and Rondo as the closest cases below 50%, in that order with Love at 42% and Rondo at 37%.

spyder_ur

If Melo makes it, then Lovey makes it

Carmelo is going to get in. He's got almost 25K career points and will get to 30K barring something unforeseen.

With anything approaching his current stats, Love will probably get in. I have major questions about how his game will age though given that he's just a glorified spot up shooter at this point.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://theundefeated.com/features/stephon-marbury-contract-china/

Former two-time NBA All-Star Stephon Marbury told The Undefeated that he has been released from the final year of his contract with the Beijing Ducks after winning three championships in six seasons.

Marbury, 40, declined an opportunity to coach with Beijing. He still wants to play in the Chinese Basketball Association and expects interest from other teams.
The eight-year CBA veteran was in the final year of a contract that was slated to pay him $2 million. The Coney Island, New York, native averaged 21.4 points, 5.5 assists and 4 rebounds in 34.6 minutes per game in 36 contests for Beijing. The Ducks have a statue in Marbury’s honor outside of their home arena.

“We agreed that I would leave this season and the door is always open to coach. They had the option for me to play or coach, and they wanted me to coach. It’s understandable at my age, but my age doesn’t dictate my game. This gives me strong desire to work hard and try my best to come back to help a team win a [championship],” Marbury told The Undefeated.

Line_HTX

We have to leave Nene to play the most important minutes, he's too old to play too many minutes. Let's not waste those minutes by playing him at the beginning.

I was thinking about this for a while, and I realized I haven't seen Montrezl Harrell in a long while. Why not go with him and Nene instead?

Nafai1123

Banned
Kerr news is really bumming me out. Hope he can get better and come back this postseason. The idea of him being forced to retire is really sad. He seems like a legitimately good dude and a great coach that fits the Dubs locker room atmosphere perfectly. :(

Line_HTX

I hope the NBA fines Stuart Scaramucci son of Thunder minority owner Jay $50 K for being a classless douche when a player is on the ground.

Fjordson

Kerr news is really bumming me out. Hope he can get better and come back this postseason. The idea of him being forced to retire is really sad. He seems like a legitimately good dude and a great coach that fits the Dubs locker room atmosphere perfectly. :(
Bruh, I'm the same way. Really putting a damper on my excitement for the playoffs.

Warriors are coming up on maybe the most important few years in franchise history. Trying to keep Curry and KD this summer and then moving into the San Francisco arena in 2019. Kerr's been the perfect guy so far so the thought of losing him for all of that is just sad. Not just for his in-game coaching either, but for how he handles the players and the media. His personality just works well for a high profile team like this. And as you said, seems like a good person off the court.

Line_HTX

Bah Gawd, Adams!

C-MBxJAUwAAMvpL.jpg

lol wat.

Everyone will get into the hall of fame eventually , by everyone I mean those on the all NBA teams - multiple multiple all star appearances and 15K and up points

Yes even lolowry will make it

I was thinking about this for a while, and I realized I haven't seen Montrezl Harrell in a long while. Why not go with him and Nene instead?

Undersized, would get bodied by the OKC bigs. Would be worse than Capela, although arguably he has a softer touch near the rim, a better mid-range shot. But we would be KILLED getting rebounds.

Harrell would get minutes against a Warriors match-up, his perimeter defense, length, is pretty valuable there.

Manu and Parker are definitely locks, probably just not first ballot.

Manu has his international play, and that committee will ensure him first ballot.

Jarate

Banned
HOF members

TJ McConnell
Playoff Marcus Smart
That anime guy in that basketball anime
Sam Hinkie
Phil Jackson, for achieving the active implosion of the New York Knicks once again for all too enjoy

It was really awful. In a league with so much incredible play, it was a display of everything that was wrong about the NBA game in a 15 minute stretch. Intentional hacking, Iso play by Westbrook, flailing to draw fouls with no intention of shooting from Harden. Layer that on top of sloppy play and some truly abysmal coaching from Donovan, and it was not a very good product. Kind of a bummer for the signature first round series with the two players the media tells us are the only contenders for MVP.

The arm-lock flop and 'heave shot curling around screen' need to be addressed this offseason. I say that as a Celtics fan who generally benefit because Isaiah takes advantage. It's just awful basketball. Every fan in the arena knows that those aren't shots that are really going to be taken but are just thrown up to draw fouls. I don't understand why we can't put some faith in the referees to make that call too.

From the bits I've seen, this first round has been ugly. And one would think that with so many stoppages at the end of the games, teams would actually get on court after a timeout with a setplay...nah. Game stops, Donovan talks for 2 minutes, game restarts, Westbrook holds the ball for 10 seconds and flails a 3 point attempt...lmao.

And yeah the referees have been lenient as fuck. Harden is playing a mix of jiujitsu and basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom