• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bread

Banned
There is no poll saying "Is Kawhi only consider "XYZ" because he plays for the Spurs?" For as small market a team like the Spurs are, they are heavily promoted through the media. This conversation is going in circles, but as I've stated countless of times, to go along with that very mediorce FMVP he won, it's easy to say some nonsense like Kawhi is top 5.
You're just talking shit though. You'll never find a public consensus that Kawhi is the 2nd best player in the league.

The casual NBA fan will take Lebron, Curry, Harden and Westbrook any day over him because they're flashy.

Hitta93

Banned
You're just talking shit though. You'll never find a public consensus that Kawhi is the 2nd best player in the league.

The casual NBA fan will take Lebron, Curry, Harden and Westbrook any day over him because they're flashy.

You'll never find public consensus on anything, there's always a differing opinion. I'm sure more people think Kawhi is 2nd best than Harden or Westbrook though.

Tom Penny

There is no poll, which is again going with public opinion.

From what I watched Kawhi isn't much better if at all, than Klay or Paul George. Public opinion will tell you Kawhi is top 2-5 depending who you ask while the other two are barely pushing top 10.

I honestly believe you can put a ton of players in Kawhi's role offensively where the Spurs wouldn't miss a beat. As great of an individual defender he is, for the Spurs to get somehow better defensively(statistically) when Kawhi sits tell me his defense isn't that valuable again unless the opposing team has an elite scorer to worry about.

Why does their offense rating go down so much when Kawhi is off the floor then? Why ain't badass Aldridge or someone carrying them...

Ronin Ray

There is no poll saying "Is Kawhi only consider "XYZ" because he plays for the Spurs?" For as small market a team like the Spurs are, they are heavily promoted through the media. This conversation is going in circles, but as I've stated countless of times, to go along with that very mediorce FMVP he won, it's easy to say some nonsense like Kawhi is top 5.

I have lived in San Antonio since 1996 and the idea the spurs are heavily promoted through the media is one of the most bull shit made up things I have ever heard. The Spurs are one of the most over looked under the radar successful teams ever. The NBA and the media hates and complains when they make the finals. Tim Duncan is the most overlooked all time great because he played in San Antonio. Year after year of there boring and nobody wanting to watch them. Year after year of there to old etc. Like you live is some reverse world where you just make up nonsense.

ViciousDS

Banned
I never realized how bad the modern NBA was for carrying but holy shit due to his height IT takes it to a whole new level.

Also carrying gas always existed, it's just being taken to insane new heights in the modern NBA

Final line

Bulls Fans: don't expect any changes this series

Celtics Fans: sit back, relax and enjoy the show despite IT's blatant carrying

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpRZUazIurw

Hitta93

Banned
Why does their offense rating go down so much when Kawhi is off the floor then? Why ain't badass Aldridge or someone carrying them...
Is it a significant dropoff? Aldridge can definitely carry the offense, he's probably not as efficient in the post as Kawhi is at shooting.

I have lived in San Antonio since 1996 and the idea the spurs are heavily promoted through the media is one of the most bull shit made up things I have ever heard. The Spurs are one of the most over looked under the radar successful teams ever. The NBA and the media hates and complains when they make the finals. Tim Duncan is the most overlooked all time great because he played in San Antonio. Year after year of there boring and nobody wanting to watch them. Year after year of there to old etc. Like you live is some reverse world where you just make up nonsense.
Far from the truth.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
We have gone from watching fuckball to taking part in fuckposting. I have to believe this dude is obv trolling at this point.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

I cant believe im responding to you at this point since it's clear youre either a troll, or... Well I guess ill leave it at that.

That said, your logic is just so so stupid. Listen tou can say literally anything in these arguments and say "just my opinion" or "watch more basketball". The fact of the matter is there is such thing as objective truth, yet it seems youve convinced yourself thats not the case. Whats funny about it is your tone is incredibly smug and consescending.

I would wager just about every major pundit, gm, coach, etc. Has kawhi in or around top 5, some may even have him 2. For me hes top 3. Hes elite on both sides of the ball, hes clutch as fuck, hes efficient, he works his fucking ass off. These opinions matter, factually, because I can guarantee these people have watched more basketball than you.

So I'll end with this. I believe michael jordan is barely top 10 all time. Disagree? Thats my opinion, and you should probably watch more basketball.

Hitta93

Banned
I cant believe im responding to you at this point since it's clear youre either a troll, or... Well I guess ill leave it at that.

That said, your logic is just so so stupid. Listen tou can say literally anything in these arguments and say "just my opinion" or "watch more basketball". The fact of the matter is there is such thing as objective truth, yet it seems youve convinced yourself thats not the case. Whats funny about it is your tone is incredibly smug and consescending.

I would wager just about every major pundit, gm, coach, etc. Has kawhi in or around top 5, some may even have him 2. For me hes top 3. Hes elite on both sides of the ball, hes clutch as fuck, hes efficient, he works his fucking ass off. These opinions matter, factually, because I can guarantee these people have watched more basketball than you.

So I'll end with this. I believe michael jordan is barely top 10 all time. Disagree? Thats my opinion, and you should probably watch more basketball.

Yeah, you definitely need to watch more basketball.

Tom Penny

That's his quote dude

not mine lol

giphy.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Id also like to add that I think it's INSANE that anybody can watch any significant amount of basketball, and I mean a small handful of games a year, and think LMA is even in the same stratosphere as kawhi. LMAs best seasons were always overrated as it was given his efficiency, but hes not even on that level anymore. LMA probably isnt even top 25 anymore.

Jarate

Banned
WATCH BASKETBALL
A
T
C
H

B
A
S
K
E
T
B
A
L
L

Kawhi Leonard put up a MJ-esque season this year BTW. He honestly might be a better player then Lebron right now imo

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
WATCH BASKETBALL
A
T
C
H

B
A
S
K
E
T
B
A
L
L

Kawhi Leonard put up a MJ-esque season this year BTW. He honestly might be a better player then Lebron right now imo

Mj was overrated.. not very good. Antoine walker was better.

teepo

kawhi is the best player right now, no question and he's only 25

and i was kindof hoping for smith to be out of tonight's game against the hawks to force brooks into playing the small ball lineups that were largely responsible for that incredible wiz run before asb

Marc Stein was let go by ESPN.

the fuck!?

I never realized how bad the modern NBA was for carrying but holy shit due to his height IT takes it to a whole new level.

Also carrying gas always existed, it's just being taken to insane new heights in the modern NBA

Final line

Bulls Fans: don't expect any changes this series

Celtics Fans: sit back, relax and enjoy the show despite IT's blatant carrying

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpRZUazIurw

Yeah Isaiah Thomas is the most egregious example of this but pretty much every guard in the NBA does it.

https://twitter.com/cjmccollum/status/857716018810036224

CJ McCollum wants Paul George

And it only just now hit me that the Blazers have their first round pick next year and 3 first round picks this year

Lillard/McCollum/George/Aminu/Nurkic

That's a potential challenger to the Warriors level team right there, in terms of talent, a great coach, an owner willing to spend money, and a good GM.

They aren't getting PG for a bunch of middling 1st round picks.

Ironically enough, any offer from Portland to Indy for PG13 probably begins and ends with CJ McCollum.

There is only a difference in that you are trying to now incorporate exceptions to what is a lazy argument.

Kobe is just one example. Use any star in place of Kobe. I've never seen the "it's the system" argument use for any star not on the Spurs, ever, at least with any commonality. It's such a lazy critique that you can apply to any star. The system worked for Parker because it was tooled for Parker's talents. Same with Kawhi, same with Lebron, same with Westbrook, same with Kobe, and same with any successful star player.

D'Antoni players get the same treatment. Not sure about Nellie players, but wouldn't be very surprised

They aren't getting PG for a bunch of middling 1st round picks.

Ironically enough, any offer from Portland to Indy for PG13 probably begins and ends with CJ McCollum.

Indy doesn't come close to getting CJ. You never get star trades like that, and Paul George has a single year on his contract and is younger. Indy doesn't even try it.

If they manage to trade up, what then? Idk if they manage to do it, but Olshey has done a good job getting talent for this year.

If the Pacers decide to end it here, then who igves them the young player for their future? Only maybe see the Suns or Lakers doing it, except Lakers wouldn't as it's a bad idea

https://twitter.com/cjmccollum/status/857716018810036224

CJ McCollum wants Paul George

And it only just now hit me that the Blazers have their first round pick next year and 3 first round picks this year

Lillard/McCollum/George/Aminu/Nurkic

That's a potential challenger to the Warriors level team right there, in terms of talent, a great coach, an owner willing to spend money, and a good GM.

Backcourt still cant defend to save their life. Offense isn't their problem imo. If I am PG I do a durant type move and go to some huge contender. Wtf you gonna leave the soft east to go compete in that talent loaded west?

Indy doesn't come close to getting CJ. You never get star trades like that, and Paul George has a single year on his contract and is younger. Indy doesn't even try it.

If they manage to trade up, what then? Idk if they manage to do it, but Olshey has done a good job getting talent for this year.

If the Pacers decide to end it here, then who igves them the young player for their future? Only maybe see the Suns or Lakers doing it, except Lakers wouldn't as it's a bad idea

Teams don't really trade down/up all that much in the NBA. Most teams would rather have one lottery pick than 2-3 picks in the 17-30 range because the league is star driven and drafts are more often than not top heavy, so your best chance at getting a star is with a top 10 pick.

The Blazers might want PG but so do a ton of other teams. They simply don't have a ton of assets out side of CJ and Dame. To get Paul George or Jimmy Butler is going to take a combination of lottery pick(s) and/or established young players with lots of years of team control left on their contracts.

Dragun619

We have gone from watching fuckball to taking part in fuckposting. I have to believe this dude is obv trolling at this point.

Man, dude probably just tired hearing the Spurs or something.

Like He's been watching basketball for so long, wondering how we still talking about the Spurs and shit, thinking it's just 5x All Star LMA & buncha role ass players who wouldn't have gotten those stats anywhere else without that system. lol

I wouldn't trade McCollum for George. Hard for me to see Portland being actually contenders unless they can get superstar talent at the C position.
Yeah they need to find someone that can average a double-double to go along with 3 assists and 2 blks and 1 steal along with shooting 50%

Hitta93

Banned
Yeah they need to find someone that can average a double-double to go along with 3 assists and 2 blks and 1 steal along with shooting 50%

A true superstar is all I'm saying. Nurkic is good, but it's really a cast of role players past Lillard/CJ. I don't see how PG would take them to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom