• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogs31

Yeah you're on your own here. The Clippers are guarenteed to fail in the playoffs, the Celtics can at least get to the conference finals. Clips have time and again disappointed, Celtics exceeded expectations since Brad became coach. Clips have fallen apart since Doc got there.

Also I hate the Celtics and want them to fail, but uh...they better than the Clippers. Having a competent coach can do that.

The Celtics made Robin Lopez seem like a hall of fame player. If Lopez can average 5 offensive rebounds a game, how many do you think Deandre Jordan would get? Chris Paul is also just a better basketball player than Isaiah Thomas is.

The Celtics were on there way to losing to a 41 win Bulls team before their point guard got hurt. The Clippers, who didn't have their second best player for more than half the series, lost in 7 games to a team that won 51 games. Losing in 7 to an underrated Jazz team is better than winning in 6 against the horrible atrocity that is the Chicago Bulls.

And the Celtics are not making the conference finals. Have you not watched their series against Washington? The only reason the series isn't over yet is because Mahinmi missed the first two games and Boston won the bench battle. Boston's starters have been completely outclassed by a Wizards team that isn't even better than most of the Western Conference playoff teams. And even if they get through the Wizards, making the Eastern Conference finals when you're on the opposite side of the bracket as the Cavs is easier than making the second round of the Western Conference playoffs.

Tommy DJ

You know how Jordan was still able to give like 22 a game at 40? Expect that from LeBron which would be even more amazing because he's been playing since he was 18.

Yeah, I'm totally expecting Lebron to last as long as he wants. Especially now if he can keep shooting the 3 ball like he's been doing this whole post season. He can score, he can defend, he's more agile, stronger and faster than the majority of the league even at age 32 and a billion minutes on his body, he has elite court vision, he's a good passer and he's clearly a great teammate.

Lebron is so good at so many things, while being a complete physical abnormally, that he'll never be a complete liability as long as he doesn't suffer from a career ending injury.

LionPride

Banned
The Celtics made Robin Lopez seem like a hall of fame player. If Lopez can average 5 offensive rebounds a game, how many do you think Deandre Jordan would get?

The Celtics were on there way to losing to a 41 win Bulls team before their point guard got hurt. The Clippers, who didn't have their second best player for more than half the series, lost in 7 games to a team that won 51 games. Losing in 7 to an underrated Jazz team is better than winning in 6 against the horrible atrocity that is the Chicago Bulls.

And the Celtics are not making the conference finals. Have you not watched their series against Washington? The only reason the series isn't over yet is because Mahinmi missed the first two games and Boston won the bench battle. Boston's starters have been completely outclassed by a Wizards team that isn't even better than most of the Western Conference playoff teams.
Gobert played 6 more minutes than Blake. 6.

Celtics will likely make it to the ECF, mainly because the bench of the Wizards is fucking abysmal.

I dunno why you're defending the Clips so hard as if they've ever done anything of note. Oh, they lost in the first or second round again after having a lead of some type. Big deal. Oh, x was hurt for the series or this game. Enough is enough, when before the season you are seen as a contender for the championship season after season and you fail, when you are seen as a candidate to make the WCF and you fail, you don't matter tbh. Clippers fucking suck and have sucked for the last...forever

Boogs31

Gobert played 6 more minutes than Blake. 6.

The Jazz have the best backup center in the NBA in Favors so they're still a good basketball team even without Gobert. The Clippers don't have a good backup to Griffin on their roster.

Celtics will likely make it to the ECF, mainly because the bench of the Wizards is fucking abysmal.

They aren't beating the Wizards. With Mahinmi back their bench is at least adequate so Boston won't be able to overcome being a significantly worse starting 5.

I dunno why you're defending the Clips so hard as if they've ever done anything of note.

Neither have the Celtics! They've won a single series against a terrible Bulls team. The Clippers have accomplished more than the Celtics in a much more difficult conference. I'm not saying the Clippers are amazing or anything, just that they're better than Boston, and it's not really close. [/QUOTE]

LionPride

Banned
The Jazz have the best backup center in the NBA in Favors so they're still a good basketball team even without Gobert. The Clippers don't have a good backup to Griffin on their roster.

They aren't beating the Wizards. With Mahinmi back their bench is at least adequate so Boston won't be able to overcome being a significantly worse starting 5.

Neither have the Celtics! They've won a single series against a terrible Bulls team. The Clippers have accomplished more than the Celtics in a much more difficult conference. I'm not saying the Clippers are amazing or anything, just that they're better than Boston, and it's not really close.

Clippers have a shitty president and coach in Doc

Celtics have a better coach and bench

Clippers have CP3 and Blake offensively, DJ defensively

Clippers aren't better than the Celtics, at all. Their lack of roster depth minus Crawford and Rivers is awful. They had to rely and fat Raymond Felton in 2017 for playoff minutes. Come on now

Tall4Life

Clippers aren't better than the Celtics, at all. Their lack of roster depth minus Crawford and Rivers is awful. They had to rely and fat Raymond Felton in 2017 for playoff minutes. Come on now

The Clippers have the legend Paul Pierce though

Boogs31

I think you're putting way too much of an emphasis on the importance of a bench in the postseason. Yes the Celtics have probably the best bench in the NBA but that helps more in the regular season than it does in the postseason. The only reason it's been a big storyline in the series against the Wizards is because Washington didn't have their 6th man (the guy they paid 64 million dollars to anchor their second unit defensively) for the first two games.

The Clippers starting 5 with a healthy Griffin would absolutely eviscerate the Celtics. Paul is better than Thomas, Griffin is significantly better than whoever the Celtics decide to play at the 4, Jordan would dominate a matchup with Horford who can't rebound. Then you have Bradley and Crowder versus Redick and Mbah a Moute, I'll give the slight edge to Boston there but even that is pretty even.

And Raymond Felton was actually pretty good in the series against Utah.. Shot 47% from the field, 44% from 3. If Griffin was healthy, their bench would have been Felton, Crawford, Rivers and Speights. That's not great but it's passable to beat a team as lacking in talent as the Celtics.

LionPride

Banned
Man, the Pacers would beat the Clippers in a series. Putting them above legit teams is ludicrous.
Pacers ain't a bad team really

Wish the Heat got in the playoffs tho

Playoff Whiteside and Dragic have to be real

I think you're putting way too much of an emphasis on the importance of a bench in the postseason. Yes the Celtics have probably the best bench in the NBA but that helps more in the regular season than it does in the postseason. The only reason it's been a big storyline in the series against the Wizards is because Washington didn't have their 6th man (the guy they paid 64 million dollars to anchor their second unit defensively) for the first two games.

The Clippers starting 5 with a healthy Griffin would absolutely eviscerate the Celtics. Paul is better than Thomas, Griffin is significantly better than whoever the Celtics decide to play at the 4, Jordan would dominate a matchup with Horford who can't rebound. Then you have Bradley and Crowder versus Redick and Mbah a Moute, I'll give the slight edge to Boston there but even that is pretty even.

And Raymond Felton was actually pretty good in the series against Utah.. Shot 47% from the field, 44% from 3. If Griffin was healthy, their bench would have been Felton, Crawford, Rivers and Speights. That's not great but it's passable to beat a team as lacking in talent as the Celtics.
This is more or less the same team that let Josh Smith and Corey Brewer beat them 2 on 5

Why would I have faith that team can beat anyone with a competent coach

Boogs31

Man, the Pacers would beat the Clippers in a series. Putting them above legit teams is ludicrous.

The last time the Clippers had a healthy roster they were one game away from the conference finals. You guys seem to be using the logic of: they've under achieved, therefore they suck.

They've won 50+ games in 4 consecutive years and won multiple playoff series in a significantly tougher conference. Saying a Pacers team that hasn't gotten out of the first round in the shitty east would beat them is what's ludicrous.

LionPride

Banned
The last time the Clippers had a healthy roster they were one game away from the conference finals. You guys seem to be using the logic of: they've under achieved, therefore they suck.

They've won 50+ games in 4 consecutive years and won multiple playoff series in an significantly tougher conference. Saying a Pacers team that hasn't gotten out of the first round in the shitty east would beat them is what's ludicrous.

Who did the Pacers face this year in the first? Oh yeah LeBron and almost every game was competitive.

The Clippers faced Derrick Favors and George Hill and a somewhat healthy Hayward. But they lost 3 games at home? That's not acceptable. Underachieving isn't the word anymore, they are meeting expectations. Getting a 50+ win season and not doing shit in the playoffs but losing

Boogs31

Pacers ain't a bad team really

Wish the Heat got in the playoffs tho

Playoff Whiteside and Dragic have to be real

This is more or less the same team that let Josh Smith and Corey Brewer beat them 2 on 5

Why would I have faith that team can beat anyone with a competent coach

Most NBA people would give up an open three pointer to Josh Smith all game and live with the results. He defied the odds in that one quarter.

And that Rockets team was good. They won 56 games. Losing to a team that good doesn't make you awful.

TTG

If Gordon continues to start over Anderson it could be the move that breaks the dam. At least Anderson can't drive and move off the ball as well as Gordon.

LionPride

Banned
Most NBA people would give up an open three pointer to Josh Smith all game and live with the results. He defied the odds in that one quarter.

And that Rockets team was good. They won 56 games. Losing to a team that good doesn't make you awful.

Bruh they were up 3-1

No matter the teams that is inexscuable

Boogs31

Who did the Pacers face this year in the first? Oh yeah LeBron and almost every game was competitive.

The Clippers faced Derrick Favors and George Hill and a somewhat healthy Hayward. But they lost 3 games at home? That's not acceptable. Underachieving isn't the word anymore, they are meeting expectations. Getting a 50+ win season and not doing shit in the playoffs but losing

The Pistons competed with the Cavs in the first round last year. LeBron plays only as hard as he has to to get out of the first round with a sweep. Thinking because the games in that series were close, that the Pacers were anywhere near the Cavs level is foolish.

And I don't know how else to say this but the Jazz are a really good basketball team. The Jazz would be the 2nd best team if they were in the East. The Clippers probably would have beaten that team if not for Griffin's injury (they were up 2-1 in the games he played). But losing to a 50+ win team does not make you awful.

Boogs31

Bruh they were up 3-1

No matter the teams that is inexscuable

You keep making the argument that they have under achieved. I agree with that. But saying they blew a 3-1 lead to the Rockets does not help justify your argument that the Celtics are better than the Clippers.

Boogs31

If Gordon continues to start over Anderson it could be the move that breaks the dam. At least Anderson can't drive and move off the ball as well as Gordon.

They made that move because of the Nene injury. Without Nene, they want Anderson playing the backup center spot. Apparently they don't trust Harrell in the postseason.

LionPride

Banned
The Pistons competed with the Cavs in the first round last year. LeBron plays only as hard as he has to to get out of the first round with a sweep. Thinking because the games in that series were close, that the Pacers were anywhere near the Cavs level is foolish.

And I don't know how else to say this but the Jazz are a really good basketball team. The Jazz would be the 2nd best team if they were in the East. The Clippers probably would have beaten that team if not for Griffin's injury (they were up 2-1 in the games he played). But losing to a 50+ win team does not make you awful.
Again, Gobert played 6 more minutes than BG and the only reason Favors has really been coming off the bench it's been because of his health.
You keep making the argument that they have under achieved. I agree with that. But saying they blew a 3-1 lead to the Rockets does not help justify your argument that the Celtics are better than the Clippers.
I'm just attacking this from a pure coaching perspective now, Brad Stevens is a supremely better coach than Doc. By a country fucking mile.

In terms of players, Clips have CP3, Blake, DeAndre, Rivers, Crawford, and Redick.

Celtics have IT4, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Smart, Brown, Green, Olynk, etc. More players who have a coach who knows how to maximize their talents.
The Warriors blew a 3-1 lead. Does that mean the Celtics are better than the Warriors?

It was inexcusable too minus one factor, they lost to the best/second best team in the league. Not the 5th or 6th best. Overall, losing a series while up 3-1 is inexcusable, but at least one team did it while facing the second best or best player ever. Not fucking Josh Smith and Corey Brewer.

To answer you, no

Tall4Life

Pacers would beat the Celtics in a series too.

Celtics are the paperest of papet tigers. They're the biggest joke of a 1 seed since I don't even know.

um

excuse me

we are not a joke

do i need to even list our roster

no but i will anyway

PLAYOFF IT
PLAYOFF HORTFORD
PLAYOFF OLYNYK
PLAYOFF SMART
PLAYOFF BRADLEY
PLAYOFF GREEN
PLAYOFF BROWN
PLAYOFF CROWDER
PLAYOFF AMIR
PLAYOFF ROZIER

nothing can stop us in a 7 game series

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Tier 1
1) Warriors
2) Cavs

Tier 2
3) Rockets
4) Spurs

Tier 3
5) Jazz
6) Clippers
7) Thunder
8) Wizards
9) Grizzlies
10) Celtics

You could make a case the Grizzlies are better than the Wizards and Celtics if all teams are healthy. With Conley and Gasol they would have 2 of the top 3 players against Boston and 2 of the top 4 players against Washington.

Why are the Thunder #7. Why are the Clippers #6.

TTG

They made that move because of the Nene injury. Without Nene, they want Anderson playing the backup center spot. Apparently they don't trust Harrell in the postseason.

It still kills them that much more on switches.

LMA has to have one 30 point game, right? It's all gravy for Rockets fans tonight really. Well, except even a bit of athleticism can score on them if they don't gameplan for it. Murray and Simmons got to the rim at will.

Boogs31

Again, Gobert played 6 more minutes than BG and the only reason Favors has really been coming off the bench it's been because of his health.

The reason I mentioned Favors is because the Jazz have a competent backup if Gobert doesn't play. They don't miss him as much because they can fill his minutes with a quality player. When Griffin went down, the Clippers have no reasonable backup for him. They had to play 58 year old Paul Pierce for significant minutes. So even though both teams dealt with missing a big man, it hurt the Clippers more than it did the Jazz.

I'm just attacking this from a pure coaching perspective now, Brad Stevens is a supremely better coach than Doc. By a country fucking mile.

In terms of players, Clips have CP3, Blake, DeAndre, Rivers, Crawford, and Redick.

Celtics have IT4, Bradley, Crowder, Horford, Smart, Brown, Green, Olynk, etc. More players who have a coach who knows how to maximize their talents.

Again I think you value coaching and depth more than top tier talent which is wrong IMO. LeBron would make the Finals in the East with almost anyone as his coach and even if the Cavs had a terrible bench. Talent trumps coaching and depth most of the time. The Clippers would have the best player, and three of the top 4 players in the series against the Celtics. I view coaching as more of a tie breaker than a huge deciding factor. Brad Stevens is a good coach, but he's not more valuable than having an additional all star caliber player on your roster.

Marz

LeBrons physical prime is over, but his actual basketball prime you are witnessing it.

He's such a cerebral player now he's mid 90s Jordan after he lost a step but was still winning 72 games and MVPs.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Oh fun. Top 8 lists. Here's mine:

Warriors
Cavs
Spurs
Rockets
Grizzlies
Jazz
Wizards
Celtics

Oh fun. Top 8 lists. Here's mine:

Warriors
Cavs
Spurs
Rockets
Grizzlies
Jazz
Wizards
Celtics

If we're doing lists mine would be

Warriors
Cavs
Rockets
Spurs
Celtics/Wizards/Jazz
Grizzlies

Alternatively:

James Young
James Young
James Young
James Young
James Young
James Young
James Young
Playoffs James Young

random25

LeBrons physical prime is over, but his actual basketball prime you are witnessing it.

He's such a cerebral player now he's mid 90s Jordan after he lost a step but was still winning 72 games and MVPs.

He is still at his physical prime. There's a bit of a decline, but he is still an explosive athlete.

Marz

He is still at his physical prime. There's a bit of a decline, but he is still an explosive athlete.

The definition of prime is "peak". He's not at the peak of his athletic ability anymore even though he's still more athletic and physical then anybody in the league outside of like Westbrook. Some of the dunks he did this year still had my jaw dropping but there's a lot more layups in his game and a lot less blow-bys off the dribble nowadays.

Boogs31

The definition of prime is "peak". He's not at the peak of his athletic ability anymore even though he's still more athletic and physical then anybody in the league outside of like Westbrook. Some of the dunks he did this year still had my jaw dropping but there's a lot more layups in his game and a lot less blow-bys off the dribble nowadays.

I definitely agree that he isn't at his physical peak but I feel like he's somehow more athletic this year than he's been in several seasons. His early Cavs days were his best from an athletic standpoint but this year has seemed better than even his last Miami season. I too have noticed a bunch of jaw dropping athletic plays this year that I feel have been missing from his game for a while.

You're worse than Bam Bam and Hitta.

Qnu1O1E.png

When you're right, you're right. And you, you're always right.

Mrbob

I feel like im taking crazy pills because I just read a page arguing between the Celtics and Clippers.

I must be hallucinating.

Who the fuck had any big expectations for the Hawks?

I am actually surprised they stole 2 games from the Wizards.

I'm not saying I expected them to win the series but all the games were down to the wire except game 3. Atlanta could've easily won that series if they didn't
have Bazemore
pick Dwight over Horford because why pick an over the hill "true" center over one of the best all around Cs that works tremendously well with the system already?

it doesn't really matter, they still would've been 2nd rd exits plus Millsap and Horford are basically the same player

Edit: to clarify, Horford would've been way better defending the 1-5 or 2-5 PnR than Dwight. That was basically how they scored a majority of their points. Horford also would've put more effort in transition defense. Dwight plays like he's in mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom