• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derwind

I legit will not post anymore here till Casey is fired. It better happen soon.

Honestly the whole team mentality needs to change. All this iso fuckball is too much. Raptord are a simple assignment in the league, shut down Lowry or Derozan and the whole team collapses.

And we have a heavily under-utilized 7 footer that can shoot well in Valancuinus.

Though this all really falls back on Casey.

Ripenen

It's funny to me that people moan about lebron's dominance when

1. he's near the end of his prime
2. he's been around long enough that his weaknesses are public knowledge.

If these teams want the crown they gotta take it.

OK I'll bite, what are his weaknesses?

I'm not watching a single thing that tap dancing fuck has to say about race.

Why did I have to be reminded of that, I was having a good day.

Because it was apparently good, and TNT did a good job delving into issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/69w8dw/i_stayed_up_to_watch_charles_barkleys_documentary/

Idk most of the facts and stats they showed clearly displayed the problem imo. Did you see the shit about red-lining and declining loans to blacks who lived in certain parts of town?
Even the commisioner i think found through an investigation that there was blatant racism in the police force. Its great that charles met with them but to me it seems like the problem was clear.

I think it did a good job of showing the perspectives of all sides. I wasn't too optimistic about the show, didn't know what to expect cuz it's Chuck after all. But s/o to him for doing this. Will be checking out the rest
What's the subject?
Baltimore very poor economic situation and the common disliking of charles barkley because of his insulting comments of the rioters. He spends some time with officers and there day in the life of an officer and also has a town hall meeting which wasnt very successful.
The fact that they showed him take the lashing from the community and actually showed it without a holier than thou response from Chuck is something worth noting. He could have easily walked out the door but stayed and took it.
I wasn't able to watch it, but I informally declared the Inside thread from tonight to be the discussion thread for the episode, and I was really surprised by all the positive comments from people replying in the thread saying how impressed they were by the show. I feel like in the weeks leading up to it, a lot of people (myself included) were somewhere between baffled and amused that such a show exists, expecting it to be a trainwreck, but based on the reaction I've seen it looks like TNT has done a good job with it so far. Definitely looking forward to giving it a chance and seeing what it's all about.

idk, has me sorta interested. Sounds better than expected, at the very least

LionPride

Banned
Because it was apparently good, and TNT did a good job delving into issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/69w8dw/i_stayed_up_to_watch_charles_barkleys_documentary/

idk, has me sorta interested. Sounds better than expected, at the very least
Funny, heard it was exactly what I and many others expected it to be, Chuck not really saying anything of substance.

Plus when it comes to anything race related, unless it has to do with Jermey Lin, /nba is uh...interesting with the depth of opinions.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
1. GS
2. Cavs
3. Spurs
4. Rockets
5. Jazz
6. Clippers (healthy)
7. Grizz
8. OKC
9. Wizards
10. Celtics
11. Blazers
12. Bucks
13. Raptors (healthy)
14. Bulls
15. Pacers
16. Hawks

Feel free to insert something humorous or pithy anywhere along the line if that helps keep feelings of internet rage in check. But, that is how I'd re-seed the playoff teams based on body of work, where that work was done, how the game is played in the playoffs and how they were playing entering the playoffs (sry heat!). The only change I might make is swapping Wiz and OKC but they'd have to play each other anyways.

Line_HTX

Just saw Patrick Beverley's postgame presser. Had no idea his grandfather died a few hours before tipoff. Huge condolences and he still had a normal Beverley game.

:(

So is everyone's list just comprised of teams that made the playoffs? Because if not, where does Miami rank? They just missed the playoffs but we're one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season. They just dug too big of a hole in the first half.

LionPride

Banned
So is everyone's list just comprised of teams that made the playoffs? Because if not, where does Miami rank? They just missed the playoffs but we're one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season. They just dug too big of a hole in the first half.
A better team than the Pacers and Clippers and Hawks tbh

Line_HTX

Houston Rockets‏ @HoustonRockets 1h1 hour ago

INJURY UPDATE: Nenê will miss the remainder of the postseason with a left adductor tear. https://goo.gl/ejyo5o

Fuck this shit. Golden State is going to coast... AGAIN along with Cleveland. This is so fucking stupid.

random25

Cleveland sucked the latter half of the season and they are still considered top 2 or top 3 in the league after their consecutive series sweeps. Not saying the Heat is bad, but it's hard to rank them when they aren't playing in these playoffs.

INJURY UPDATE: Nenê will miss the remainder of the postseason with a left adductor tear. https://goo.gl/ejyo5o

Fuck this shit. Golden State is going to coast... AGAIN along with Cleveland. This is so fucking stupid.

Who knows? Spurs might luck it out and win it all.

ViciousDS

Banned
Lowry confirmed hes opting out and testing free agency lol

Last year truly was peak raptors.....back to the gutter they go, god thats sad

Ronin Ray

Wait did you think Golden State wasn't going to coast before the Nene injury ? Like is Nene the secret weapon to beat the warriors?

Nba playoffs gaf recap

List

Arguments over teams that can't play each other in the playoffs.

LeBron not in his prime anymore

No as a poc I have zero desire to watch Chuck's show about race (this was mine)

Thread is severely missing anime and kawhi not that good Lenoard talk .

Sucks for Rockets. But you're counting your chickens before they hatch. The Spurs/Rockets is still a 2-2 series.

And GSW didn't exactly coast last year. They barely made a comeback from down 1-3 in a physical series against the Thunder, and sustained injuries to multiple players along the way. They entered the Finals against a much healthier and fresher Cavs team.

Line_HTX

List

Arguments over teams that can't play each other in the playoffs.

LeBron not in his prime anymore

No as a poc I have zero desire to watch Chuck's show about race (this was mine)

Thread is severely missing anime and kawhi not that good Lenoard talk .

:lol

I think Kawhi is really good, just thought it was bizarre that he didn't do shit last night.

Also, because you asked... (Man, I really long for the days when there were no super-teams that would automatically get to the NBA Finals.)
YigFns2.gif

Jarate

Banned
Nice cover but 2K really needs to spice things up. I feel like after 2k14, the games stopped progressing. I wish they had some sort of competition but alas :/

I want more classic teams :(

2k14 for PC has some awesome classic team mods

2k18 on switch is going to be dope tho. I'm gonna bring it to a pickup basketball game and play basketball after I play basketball like in the commercials

Ronin Ray

I think Kawhi is really good, just thought it was bizarre that he didn't do shit last night.

Also, because you asked... (Man, I really long for the days when there were no super-teams that would automatically get to the NBA Finals.)
YigFns2.gif

I feel you on the super teams but when wasn't the nba like this ? Ok so yeah this year it's really down to two teams but every year at most there is what 4 or 3 teams that have a chance to win?

Nice cover but 2K really needs to spice things up. I feel like after 2k14, the games stopped progressing. I wish they had some sort of competition but alas :/

I want more classic teams :(

Sure, just buy the DLC or VC to purchase those classic teams :p

Somebody has to pay for player licenses lol

LionPride

Banned

2k18 on switch is going to be dope tho. I'm gonna bring it to a pickup basketball game and play basketball after I play basketball like in the commercials
2K12 with that UBR, if only the game was better

Mortemis

Banned

Totally forgot about 2k18 coming to the switch. Might get me back into 2k.

So. I was bored, so I looked up LeBron's stats from his last 11 playoff games...

41 - 16 - 7
41 - 8 - 11
27 - 11 - 11
31 - 6 - 13
25 - 10 - 7
41 - 13 - 12
33 - 10 - 4
35 - 10 - 4
39 - 6 - 4
35 - 8 - 7
35 - 9 - 6

Averages: 34.81ppg - 9.72rpg - 7.81apg

Too lazy to look at FG%, but I assume it's reasonably acceptable.

Hottest take:

IsiOF7b.jpg

I think he's earned this seat, brehs. Confirm/deny?

YigFns2.gif

I guess you're new to the sport. Because the Celtics and Lakers didn't get all those banners by having only similar talent to those teams around them. The Bulls didn't get 6 rings without multiple HoF players. Olajuwon's Rockets...Dumars, Thomas, Laimbeer Bad Boys...

Hell, even though the Spurs may be entering a twilight to their long run of dominance, they will eventually have no less than 3 core players from their run in the HoF. Bron's Heat wasn't the start; it was simply the same concept we've seen for the last 40 years of NBA basketball, achieved in a different way. Durant's move is a continuation of that concept.

So I guess I'm when the days you long for existed.

megalowho

I guess you're new to the sport. Because the Celtics and Lakers didn't get all those banners by having only similar talent to those teams around them. The Bulls didn't get 6 rings without multiple HoF players. Olajuwon's Rockets...Dumars, Thomas, Laimbeer Bad Boys...

Hell, even though the Spurs may be entering a twilight to their long run of dominance, they will eventually have no less than 3 core players from their run in the HoF. Bron's Heat wasn't the start; it was simply the same concept we've seen for the last 40 years of NBA basketball, achieved in a different way. Durant's move is a continuation of that concept.

We don't have to re-litigate the Durant/GSW's scenario and all the circumstances that had to align for it to happen, but there's something to be said for at least 3-4 legit contenders in the league at a given time, no matter how stacked the favorite is with HoFers. Even the 60's Celtics had to get by the Sixers in the East every year before facing the Lakers. Bulls vs. Pistons vs. Knicks out East in the 90's, Spurs vs. Lakers vs. Suns out West in the 00's.

I can't think of a time when parity was this lopsided, at least since I've been watching, and as a result the playoffs just feel like the inevitable extension of an inevitable regular season. Super teams in of themselves aren't a problem, but the lack of any illusion of competitive basketball might be.

Agreed, besides the NBA will always have a bit of parity issue because of the nature of the game. It's just 5 guys on the court per team and even when you account rotations, it's a sport of very few people playing at the same time. Having more than one overpowered player will impact your team more than having 2 in football for instance.

That being said, I do wish for more teams being able to challenge Golden State and Cleveland, which, let's be honest, isn't happening without injuries.

Ripenen

We don't have to re-litigate the Durant/GSW's scenario and all the circumstances that had to align for it to happen, but there's something to be said for at least 3-4 legit contenders in the league at a given time, no matter how stacked the favorite is with HoFers. Even the 60's Celtics had to get by the Sixers in the East every year before facing the Lakers. Bulls vs. Pistons vs. Knicks out East in the 90's, Spurs vs. Lakers vs. Suns out West in the 00's.

I can't think of a time when parity was this lopsided, at least since I've been watching, and as a result the playoffs just feel like the inevitable extension of an inevitable regular season. Super teams in of themselves aren't a problem, but the lack of any illusion of competitive basketball might be.

What do you think is the cause of that disparity? Do certain teams just have the money and appeal to attract top talent? Is there such a gap in talent that the top two or three players can shift the power structure of the entire league by themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom