• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogs31

We will have two juggernauts playing at the top of their respective games meeting for Round 3 of a 1-1 series, with all key players healthy and rested. On top of this, Game 1 may decide who takes their first loss of the postseason.

I think 6 sweeps are worth it to build up to that kind of drama.

I'd rather have entertaining basketball for the first month and a half of the playoffs and a crappy two weeks of the Finals than the opposite. We had 19 amazing playoff games last year. This year we MIGHT get 8 if the Finals are as good as they were last year.

Boogs31

No offense but that is all just endless what ifs. We can have these debates and talks all day and that's ok and fine but for me I stopped doing that. Those conversations don't do anything for me anymore. We're going to get swept and to me the warriors are the better team. My team lost and I don't want to torture myself going down the what if Kawhi didn't get hurt rabbit hole because that will never have an answer.

I guess I view things differently than most people in that I don't view all wins equally. Dirk winning a championship in 2011 with no other all star players is worth more to me than these superteams winning titles. Who you beat in route to a title matters to me. The fact that LeBron gets to coast to the Finals every year because of how weak the Eastern Conference is matters to me. This Warriors team getting to play the Jazz without George Hill and the Spurs without Leonard matters to me.

I don't view all losses equally either. If a team doesn't have their best player and they lose, that is not the same as if they lost at full strength. It's fine if you don't agree with that but that's how I view things. And that's why it's hard for me to accept someone saying the Warriors are DEFINITELY better than the Spurs.

The Spurs winning is one of the few things in life that bring me joy, this is too much ;_;

There'a still hope though, it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Umbooki

The dropoff from Old Man Timmy to LMA is depressing to watch. You throw big bucks at one of the best PFs in the league and the dude turns into a pumpkin.

random25

Aldridge is just a dead-weight at this point. His contract is pretty huge but his contributions are pedestrian for the most part. Hard to trade for the guy without putting up some sweeteners or just trading him up to another dead-weight that maybe Pop can work on.

I think he can still bring something to the table. It's just glaringly obvious that he's no longer interested being a Spur at this point.

Aldridge is just a dead-weight at this point. His contract is pretty huge but his contributions are pedestrian for the most part. Hard to trade for the guy without putting up some sweeteners or just trading him up to another dead-weight that maybe Pop can work on.

I think he can still bring something to the table. It's just glaringly obvious that he's no longer interested being a Spur at this point.

I think he just needs to shed some body fat and tighten up his game.

Now that i think about it, he has always seemeed uninterested or too lackadaisical on the Spurs. Thw way he sits at the end of the bench, his quiet demeanor on the court, his hestitant approach to which playstyle he wants to follow, etc.

We will have two juggernauts playing at the top of their respective games meeting for Round 3 of a 1-1 series, with all key players healthy and rested. On top of this, Game 1 may decide who takes their first loss of the postseason.

Whaaaaaat

The only way someone can get behind this is if they don't like basketball one bit or are one of those guys who remembers the nba when the finals start. Nothing is worth what we've been through. This shit has been atrocious. It can't be good for business. If anything I hope this shit stain allows to some changes in the future. The nba thrived throughout the world like no other US-sports-league cause of it's spectacle and competitive diversity. I know we bitch that the parity of the league has always been fucked up cause the same teams win over and over but a lot of that results on the specificity of the sport and how "easy" it is to dominate a 5-man lineup. But it was always competitive, with great series and different franchises. You have fans of most franchises and players all over the world. The league somewhat creating a deadweight called post-season is unimaginable. I haven't talked or read a nba fan who isn't pissed with what's happening. And you can't blame it all on the stupidity of Zaza.

The classiest organization in sports, everyone: https://streamable.com/ahogr

"natural leg movement"
kunk-rum.gif

Looks like a mere tap in normal motion. It's nothing.
A sharp "tap" like that to the side of someone's knee (especially from a big guy like Dedmon) can cause serious damage. It doesn't take much.

warriors fans have been spending countless hours poring over video to catch suspicious looking things in super slo-mo as if that will absolve them of their goon taking out their only competition.
So do you think that was intentional or not?

I personally gave LMA the benefit of the doubt for the multiple undercuts he did to both KD and Curry, but Dedmon's was super blatant. I hope that gets reviewed by the league, and that goon doesn't get a second chance at it in game 4.

Tommy DJ

I think he just needs to shed some body fat and tighten up his game.

Now that i think about it, he has always seemeed uninterested or too lackadaisical on the Spurs. Thw way he sits at the end of the bench, his quiet demeanor on the court, his hestitant approach to which playstyle he wants to follow, etc.

Aldridge has serious fundamental problems that someone theoretically as good as him shouldn't really have. He struggles to hit open layups, doesn't seem to know that he's huge in both weight and height since he gets consistently roasted by smaller defenders, he can't seem to handle the ball in the post and has a pretty unreliable jump shot at times. When he gets hot, he gets hot but he's a $20 million liability when he's cold.

Even if they fix his attitude problems, he's not worth anywhere close to $20 million. If Pop's given up on Aldridge, I don't blame him. There's no upside to fixing his attitude problems because he doesn't have the physical characteristics or skillset to give you consistent results like Duncan's post moves, Howard's rebounding skills or Gobert's rim protecting skills.

beat

Looks like a mere tap in normal motion. It's nothing.
It's really not a natural instinct to knock knees, and it's quite dangerous. Knee on knee collisions have ended other players' seasons.

But if any of y'all think Zaza taking two steps to recover from a jumping closeout was innocent, then at least you'd be consistent.

Edit: to clarify, since I know I've posted some of the LMA closeout clips too: I think what Zaza did in game 1 was rightfully called a foul. I can see an argument that in the future, it should be a flagrant, because despite making an honest challenge on the shot, it was dangerous to not give a shooter room to land. So when I posted the LMA undercuts, just speaking for myself, I didn't mean that LMA was dirty. I only meant that such shot challenges happen literally all the time. LMA was no more or less dirty than Zaza's specific contest on Kawhi.

But I did mean that the Dedmon knee thing looked shady, because to me that's way, way worse than a foot shuffle on a challenge or even half-assed challenge. I've said almost every screen set in the NBA is illegal to some degree, but most illegal screens are a leaning shoulder ram or something. Leading with a knee is something else.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
It's really not a natural instinct to knock knees, and it's quite dangerous. Knee on knee collisions have ended other players' seasons.

But if any of y'all think Zaza taking two steps to recover from a jumping closeout was innocent, then at least you'd be consistent.

Edit: to clarify, since I know I've posted some of the LMA closeout clips too: I think what Zaza did in game 1 was rightfully called a foul. I can see an argument that in the future, it should be a flagrant, because despite making an honest challenge on the shot, it was dangerous to not give a shooter room to land. So when I posted the LMA undercuts, just speaking for myself, I didn't mean that LMA was dirty. I only meant that such shot challenges happen literally all the time. LMA was no more or less dirty than Zaza's specific contest on Kawhi.

But I did mean that the Dedmon knee thing looked shady, because to me that's way, way worse than a foot shuffle on a challenge or even half-assed challenge. I've said almost every screen set in the NBA is illegal to some degree, but most illegal screens are a leaning shoulder ram or something. Leading with a knee is something else.

Dedmon's act is flat out done with the intention to injure and incredibly dirty. The only reason he looks down at Curry's knee which is locked in place and then delivers the blow from the side is to injure.

If they want to start calling flagrants on the late closeouts by big men that will work in the Warrior's favor (they'd have more instances in this series alone than SA does). Curry with his history of ankle injuries usually just finds a place to fall instead of risking coming down on a foot. Make each of those a flagrant and the warriors become more deadly.

Champagne

Banned
Dubs fans are so cute carefully dissecting every play of the game in their dvr as if they weren't the one's defending Draymond green kicking everyone in the balls last year

Kickz

Dubs fans are so cute carefully dissecting every play of the game in their dvr as if they weren't the one's defending Draymond green kicking everyone in the balls last year

Arent most Dubs fans just Lakers fans who stopped watching Lakers because that team is full of busts currently

What if the warriors sweep the cavs

Would this be the worst postseason ever

I want anyone to win besides cavs and warriors. Not sure what hope I have left. Who do I even root for. Lakers draft? Lol....

Don't even think the Warriors can beat cavs. wish I had betting money.

Tall4Life

If you're not a fan of either team you should probably hope that the Cavs beat the Warriors. That way, it's more likely one of them like Durant leaves, even if its still a pretty low chance...

If you're not a fan of either team you should probably hope that the Cavs beat the Warriors. That way, it's more likely one of them like Durant leaves, even if its still a pretty low chance...

I don't think there's any way he leaves. Any team he would go to would just be a significant downgrade in talent.

random25

The main problem with this year's playoffs is not just because of Cavs and Warriors dominance, it's because just about every playoff team underwhelmed. You had the favorite to win MVP in Westbrook, and yet he only had 1 playoff win to show for. Harden, another MVP candidate, bailed out in an elimination game. Washington, who was boasting they can beat the Cavs, was destroyed by Olynyk of all people. And then you have Aldridge, a supposed to be superstar to carry the Spurs in the absence of Kawhi, looking like Javale's b*tch.

Gorillaz

Yea there was alot of exposures in the league this year in terms of where most talent really is. I still don't think it is a good look all around.

Kickz

The main problem with this year's playoffs is not just because of Cavs and Warriors dominance, it's because just about every playoff team underwhelmed. You had the favorite to win MVP in Westbrook, and yet he only had 1 playoff win to show for. Harden, another MVP candidate, bailed out in an elimination game. Washington, who was boasting they can beat the Cavs, was destroyed by Olynyk of all people. And then you have Aldridge, a supposed to be superstar to carry the Spurs in the absence of Kawhi, looking like Javale's b*tch.

The entire Eastern conference is a disgrace, its time conference seeding ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom