• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't work like that. Never has. Grizz built the team through trades and getting lucky (Randolph, Gasol). Can't draft. Proof of that being, Andrew Harrison is the only draft pick made by the Grizzlies, playing for the Grizzlies, since they beat San Antonio in 2011. They'll retool around Conley and Gasol.

They can try and trade Gasol and Conley for picks and blow it up, but that's way too risky of a call for a GM. There's more career longevity in just staying mediocre.

They can try and trade Gasol and Conley for picks and blow it up, but that's way too risky of a call for a GM. There's more career longevity in just staying mediocre.

Marc is the most trade-friendly asset, but I don't see them pulling the trigger on anything. Grizz are stuck with Parsons no matter who they trade anyway. That, along with the inability to draft, is going to force the team to manufacture some sort of "window period" for the next 3 years or so. Not to mention ...fun regular seasons and first-round exits are much more fun to be a part of than consecutive years of 22, 22, and 24 victories. "Settling for mediocrity" is not how I look at it.

Is there a really a point to trying to blow things up for a smaller market like the Grizzlies? Unlike the Lakers who have a history and could potentially be attractive to free agents, I don't see the Grizzlies recovering for a very long time.

Spurs and Rockets lucked out by not facing the Blazers hahahaha

But then they get to knock each other out in the second round. THe Warriors still have an easier path overall.

Is there a really a point to trying to blow things up for a smaller market like the Grizzlies? Unlike the Lakers who have a history and could potentially be attractive to free agents, I don't see the Grizzlies recovering for a very long time.

There is not. They got lucky with two miracle scenarios. Scenario A: No one knew who Marc Gasol was, apparently. Scenario B: Clippers drafted Blake Griffin, thus the desire to unload Randolph's contract ...for anything, hence the swap for Quinten Richardson. Get a front office who can draft and maybe blowing it up isn't such a bad idea. This time a week ago, GM Chris Wallace's spot looked safe. A quick exit here and people are going to be asking why Memphis had to start Wayne Selden, who was out of the league a month ago, in a playoff game.

Yup. Don't forget, before the big four (Conley-Gasol-Z-bo-Allen), the Grizzlies had nothing, hell, Memphis had no sports team tbh.

Well, I guess they did have the Pau era Grizzlies, and there was always the interesting possibility of that top 1 protected pick that became Lebron not going 2nd and thus transferring to Detroit, thus putting rookie Lebron on that 50-32 Grizz team with:

Pau Gasol, Jason Williams, Shane Battier, Mike Miller, James Posey, etc.

But yeah, you're talking about tearing down the only thing this team has ever had

mjp2417

Banned
Was there ever a window? It didn't feel like it.

Championship? Not realistically, but they have gone deep into the playoffs before and they put a scare into the Dubs in the 2nd round just two years ago. Hard to see them being anything but a 1st round exit going forward, especially with the albatross of the Parsons contract.

Bernbaum

But then they get to knock each other out in the second round. THe Warriors still have an easier path overall.

The top half of the West bracket looks boring as hell, with Golden State guaranteed a clear path to the Conference Finals.

I like a lot of teams in the lower half, and am a little disappointed that the OKC-Rockets matchup is in the first round, and that the Spurs will have to face a tough opponent in the Rockets whilst the Warriors can just walk to the Finals.

pislit

I like a lot of teams in the lower half, and am a little disappointed that the OKC-Rockets matchup is in the first round, and that the Spurs will have to face a tough opponent in the Rockets whilst the Warriors can just walk to the Finals.

Basically Lebron James in the last seven years.

The Blazers ended up 2 wins underneath the Grizz and had the tie-breaker... smh, without the Nurkic injury, they would've won one of the last couple of games they lost and been able to actually have a shot advancing.

Bernbaum

I want the spurs to win just to see Pops meet with Trump. Pops is a good man

I want the Champions to snub that old cunt.

If his current track record is anything to go by (avoiding the WH Correspondent's dinner, almost forgetting to organise an Easter event, etc...) old Donald might not even extend an invite.

LionPride

Banned
I said this last year, but Grizz should have traded Marc and Mike, blew up, got picks, and rebuild. This city may have hated it, but it was needed because losing in the first or second round for 7 years ain't the move

Boogs31

are you trying to convince the bulls of this? i know they should be fine taking lottery picks in return for Butler but clearly they disagreed.

You're making assumptions that those rumors about the Bulls needing Crowder and or Bradley in the deal were true. The article you linked stated they wanted three prized chips. Two Brooklyn picks and Brown was my original suggestion. Is that not three valuable assets? All of this that we're talking about is speculation because a trade didn't happen. There were rumors that the Celtics didn't offer either of the nets picks.

I gotta believe that if the Celtics offered the two Brooklyn picks and perhaps Smart and Zeller that the Bulls would have taken that deal. And I'm saying that just based on logic and reason. Most gm's would accept that offer. It's a fair deal both ways. Ainge has shown a pattern of not giving up his assets in the past and instead just rolling the dice in the draft. I'm pretty confident he could have acquired Butler and chose not to.

I said this last year, but Grizz should have traded Marc and Mike, blew up, got picks, and rebuild. This city may have hated it, but it was needed because losing in the first or second round for 7 years ain't the move

There is no shame in a small market team no one wants to go to getting to the conference finals in 2013, being one game away from the conference finals in 2011, and getting two wins offof the eventual championship winning Warriors in 2015.

We have a history of not playing our picks even when we get it right--we drafted Kevin Love, for example--so I have no confidence in any potential rebuild.

TTG

I want the Champions to snub that old cunt.

If his current track record is anything to go by (avoiding the WH Correspondent's dinner, almost forgetting to organise an Easter event, etc...) old Donald might not even extend an invite.

Between GSW, Cavs, and Spurs, I don't think anyone is showing up. I'm sure Dan Gilbert will be there if they win, but that's as far as it will go.

LionPride

Banned
There is no shame in a small market team no one wants to go to getting to the conference finals in 2013, being one game away from the conference finals in 2011, and getting two wins offof the eventual championship winning Warriors in 2015.

We have a history of not playing our picks even when we get it right--we drafted Kevin Love, for example--so I have no confidence in any potential rebuild.
Still better than where they'll be in a couple years, Marc's 31 with a fucked up foot, Mike's 29, ZBO 35, TA's 33, that core four bout to lose two members, then who's left?

I always want to love Memphis, but when they struggle as much as they do sometimes, look as out of rhythm

Fuck, I'm just not gonna say anything anymore.

LionPride

Banned
Yup. Don't forget, before the big four (Conley-Gasol-Z-bo-Allen), the Grizzlies had nothing, hell, Memphis had no sports team tbh.

Well, I guess they did have the Pau era Grizzlies, and there was always the interesting possibility of that top 1 protected pick that became Lebron not going 2nd and thus transferring to Detroit, thus putting rookie Lebron on that 50-32 Grizz team with:

Pau Gasol, Jason Williams, Shane Battier, Mike Miller, James Posey, etc.

But yeah, you're talking about tearing down the only thing this team has ever had

Tearing it down is a necessity, living here, I know people would HATE it, but shit what else can they do?

Pau Gasol doesn't shoot a whole lot of 3s but it seriously feels like he's hitting every single one he takes.

He's been about 50+%, shot >100 3s, most of them when he came back from injury and came off the bench. He barely missed the minimum number of makes to claim most accurate 3 pt shooter in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom