• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone else playing this in 3D? Looks aight but has some weird double images like the basket support. Dunno if it's my settings or what because all my other 3D games seem to work fine.

pilonv1

ALaz502 said:
Not liking the changes made to My Player mode with the patch.

Now the team calls EVERY single play and you have to follow the play calling to the T or else the point guard just sits there and dribbles the ball until time runs out. The plays don't just develop based off what you were doing like before.

Worst of all, there is no way to turn this option off. I'm definitely deleting my 360's cache so I can play 2k11 unpatched.

It's fucking terrible. I can't even get a touch now with my C, and I was averaging 20ppg before. I loved this mode before the patch, now it's impossible to play.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
pilonv1 said:
It's fucking terrible. I can't even get a touch now with my C, and I was averaging 20ppg before. I loved this mode before the patch, now it's impossible to play.
Thinking of clearing my cache so I can play it unpatched in the meantime. If I run into the Rookie of the Year bug, I'll just repatch, get the achievement to register, then clear the cache again.

pilonv1

XiaNaphryz said:
Thinking of clearing my cache so I can play it unpatched in the meantime. If I run into the Rookie of the Year bug, I'll just repatch, get the achievement to register, then clear the cache again.

I want to do that but I've also got leagues I'm in so it's too much work.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
New player here:

-Any recommended settings for season? Keep in mind I suck at the game and likely always will. Tried to play with the defaults but the final scores were like 45-27.

-Any way to get a handle on how to play the game generally. There is the one practice tutorial that sort of goes through the shots and the moves, but nothing about passing or defense that I have found.

DrMungo

AstroLad said:
New player here:

-Any recommended settings for season? Keep in mind I suck at the game and likely always will. Tried to play with the defaults but the final scores were like 45-27.

-Any way to get a handle on how to play the game generally. There is the one practice tutorial that sort of goes through the shots and the moves, but nothing about passing or defense that I have found.

Yeah, unfortunately, not a lot of tutorial sessions. Its hard to just cross people up from the get go and dunk on them. Its better to do icon passing and move the ball around for a good shot. Mix up your strategies, ( post up moves vs jumpers/3ptrs vs driving into the lane). Playing 1 on 1 in the blacktop mode is useful for practicing the moves.

For defense, i used to be super aggressive and go for steals all the time but end up getting burned. But if you just hang with the player in front of you and let the team play defense as a whole, the opponent will start missing more.

When you get more used to the flow, you can try more of those fancier moves.

I haven't played since NBA 2k2, so a lot of this is new to me as well. =)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Are you generally supposed to hold L2 when you're playing D? That's just a habit I have from FIFA as that's the square-up button there but it seems it's "aggressive D" here or something though I have no idea exactly what that means.

Axis

AstroLad said:
Are you generally supposed to hold L2 when you're playing D? That's just a habit I have from FIFA as that's the square-up button there but it seems it's "aggressive D" here or something though I have no idea exactly what that means.
When you have the aggressive D thing going on, it keeps you focused on your man. This way it's easier to keep your body in front.

XiaNaphryz

AstroLad said:
New player here:

Watch these:

Defensive Settings
Understanding Movement
Passing

charsace

The knicks have two unstoppable plays that involve Amare rolling to the basket. Since the patch I have played the knicks 9 times and all 9 times these knicks teams run the same two plays all game. One is an Amare pick and roll and the other is a double pick and roll involving amare. there is no way to stop him from getting the ball, not even zone stops it, and when he does get it he will always go up for a dunk which he will complete or get fouled and go to the line.

OMG.

So I haven't played the but more than an hour total and that was the day it came out. Figured I'd get into it. Took me a bit to get use to everything and feel comfortable.

I decided to play as the Lakers vs the Heat. The entire game was close, the Heat were up by 6 at one time. The start of the 4th quarter, Lakers come out STORMING and tie the game. Heat go up by 6 points with about 2 minutes to go and somehow I am able to get the Lakers to be down by 2 points with a minute to go. Kobe has a chance to tie it but steps out of bounds so the Heat come back with about 30 seconds to. Fish is guarding LeBron and with 12 seconds to go, he steals the ball near half court and goes into tie the game!

Heat come out of their time out and I swear one of their guys made a 3 pointer but it turned out to just be a deuce and they left us with 6 seconds on the clock. I take a time out and now am trying to figure out if we go for the win or tie. I get Fish the ball and am trying to have him shoot a 3 but he is inside the line so with 2 seconds left I pass to Odom who is at the 3 point line. I shoot and let go as time expires and hit NOTHING. BUT. NET! SO awesome.

God this game is great.

charsace said:
The knicks have two unstoppable plays that involve Amare rolling to the basket.

The one who I find worse is Dirk. I've played the Mavs twice in my season and it's like he never misses a shot. Seriously. It'd ridiculous. No one can block him, no one can guard him, and all his shots go in.

I'm a center in my player and at first I didn't like the whole playcalling thing but I actually don't mind it as much now, its more sim. once you learn what plays you run you can find different ways to get in scoring positions/rebounding

and the media just asked me what I think about my playing time...I said to answer arrogant and my dude goes on about how he isn't pleased with being played more and that its obvious when he plays, the team does better:lol

charsace

ph33nix said:
I'm a center in my player and at first I didn't like the whole playcalling thing but I actually don't mind it as much now, its more sim. once you learn what plays you run you can find different ways to get in scoring positions/rebounding

and the media just asked me what I think about my playing time...I said to answer arrogant and my dude goes on about how he isn't pleased with being played more and that its obvious when he plays, the team does better:lol
The play calling actually causes the offense to flow better for me. I have a sg and a pf. If you have an opening you can break off the play and the cpu usually gets you the ball.

i wish you didn't lose all your skill points for simming the rest of the game though. i'm in the 4th quarter and i'm in a blowout...kinda boring i just wanna take what i would have gotten if the game ended then.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What minute quarters do you guys use? Seems almost like I need 12 to have realistic stats since the computer takes forever unless you're trying to steal or get out of position and I guess I like to take my time too to run plays.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does video uploading work? I keep getting 2ksports server not available or disconnected from 2ksports server halfway through an upload even though I did link my PS3 account. Am I missing anything or do I just have to keep trying at different times? (Or not bother.)

AstroLad said:
Does video uploading work? I keep getting 2ksports server not available or disconnected from 2ksports server halfway through an upload even though I did link my PS3 account. Am I missing anything or do I just have to keep trying at different times? (Or not bother.)
if you get that "server not available" message, it means 2k server not available.:lol
when you successfully upload though, it takes from 15-30mins for your vids to show up on your 2k account.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
viakado said:
if you get that "server not available" message, it means 2k server not available.:lol
when you successfully upload though, it takes from 15-30mins for your vids to show up on your 2k account.
Just wondering because at first my account wasn't even linked and yet it was still letting me try to upload. I'll try again later today.

AstroLad said:
Just wondering because at first my account wasn't even linked and yet it was still letting me try to upload. I'll try again later today.
yeah, 2k website auto creates a profile for you based off your gamertag/psn. you can still view your uploaded videos.
What you need to do manually is to create a 2ksports.com account and linking your psn/gamertag through your account settings. the 2k account that auto creates and the one you make will be fused together into one account.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
viakado said:
yeah, 2k website auto creates a profile for you based off your gamertag/psn. you can still view your uploaded videos.
What you need to do manually is to create a 2ksports.com account and linking your psn/gamertag through your account settings. the 2k account that auto creates and the one you make will be fused together into one account.
Yep just did that yesterday. I think I did it right at least: http://community.2ksports.com/community/user/?u=203804

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Question, I had stopped playing for a week and I came back to it for My Player mode and now the direction that I go in doesn't change to the other rim after halftime and it visibly updates what defense my team is playing. How the hell do I change it back?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
cuevas said:
Just got my copy from amazon, is there a tutorial thing other than the practice mode?
I had the same question. No, just the practice mode and the other stuff under practice. If you haven't gone into basic practice yet, it has a set of little instructions though. Same with the post moves practice.

I kinda hate games that almost assume you've been playing for years and since they explained it when they introduced it in NBA2Kx why explain it again anywhere?

Game itself is awesome though. :D

DCX

DCX
AstroLad said:
I had the same question. No, just the practice mode and the other stuff under practice. If you haven't gone into basic practice yet, it has a set of little instructions though. Same with the post moves practice.

I kinda hate games that almost assume you've been playing for years and since they explained it when they introduced it in NBA2Kx why explain it again anywhere?

Game itself is awesome though. :D
It's like fighting games where to list some moves but not all.

DCX

My player is even more brutal this year than last. The point penalties for doing the wrong thing have increased (as well as the number of wrong things you can do on the court) whereas the point penalties for doing positive things has decreased. I do like little touches such as giving small points for passes that lead to assists, playing proper transition defense, good hard fouls and passing to setup fouls. I don't quite understand the logic of who your check is on the court this year as it seems to be proximity based (defender arrow doesn't necessarily point at your positional matchup) rather than last year where it was completely based on your matchup. I've lost quite a bit of points b/c I was supposed to guard the small forward running down the court on the opposite side spotting up for a jumper rather than the PG I'm matched up with.

charsace

Gully State said:
My player is even more brutal this year than last. The point penalties for doing the wrong thing have increased (as well as the number of wrong things you can do on the court) whereas the point penalties for doing positive things has decreased. I do like little touches such as giving small points for passes that lead to assists, playing proper transition defense, good hard fouls and passing to setup fouls. I don't quite understand the logic of who your check is on the court this year as it seems to be proximity based (defender arrow doesn't necessarily point at your positional matchup) rather than last year where it was completely based on your matchup. I've lost quite a bit of points b/c I was supposed to guard the small forward running down the court on the opposite side spotting up for a jumper rather than the PG I'm matched up with.
You have to put points in your defensive awareness to have better defensive switching. Midrange should see points for any player you make right off the bat too. Then what category you put starting points in depends on your position and play style.

charsace said:
You have to put points in your defensive awareness to have better defensive switching. Midrange should see points for any player you make right off the bat too. Then what category you put starting points in depends on your position and play style.

I didn't realize they changed what defensive awareness governs this year. Last year it was just your ability to double team (and for some reason putting points into that and offensive awareness shot your overall ratings up- the only time I would put points into those last year was when the AI coach started benching me despite my good performance b/c my overall rating was low)

picko

Neo Member
I've been playing as a centre in My Player on the Thunder, so my team is pretty good and we usually get the win. I'd been putting up some really solid stats, since Durant was injured. Typically putting up low 30s using most low post moves.

When the patch came out I really didn't notice much of a different, until Durant returned. Now he's regularly putting up 40 shots a game, since almost all the plays are run for him. Usually he'll score between 25 and 30 points a game so he's horrendously inefficient. Strangely my scoring hasn't dipped too much due to offensive rebounds but its killing the team, seeing as Durant's crappy shooting puts us in a hole and then we have to get out of it when he's benched. Never thought that having Durant on my team would be a massive liability!

Smokey

All I know is My Player(scoring SF) dropped 82 pts and 11 rebs in a game earlier that went into OT AND hit the game winner (10 min quarters)

It's not hard to break off of a play and run around the ball carrier if the play isn't called for you. That's what I did. The game before the 82 the team was icing the fuck out of me (despite avg 28 ppg). Next game made it a point to force the game to give me the ball and when I get the ball GOOD THINGS HAPPEN!

It's an addicting mode for sure. On the schedule we're a little past all star break, although my guy has only played 31 games due to injuries. I don't sim any games either, need dem points.

XiaNaphryz

Gully State said:
Why is it that I can't seem to call plays as PG in My Player? Is there a rating that governs that or is it a bug?
You have to earn enough trust with the team to get "Floor General," which will let you call plays. I'm assuming this is related to team chemistry.

XiaNaphryz said:
You have to earn enough trust with the team to get "Floor General," which will let you call plays. I'm assuming this is related to team chemistry.

Great...I think I might have to scrap my 5''9 athletic PG...especially since the computer likes to continually put him in at SG.

XiaNaphryz

Gully State said:
Great...I think I might have to scrap my 5''9 athletic PG...especially since the computer likes to continually put him in at SG.
Don't worry about it - just get good team grades and try to answer post-game conference questions that increase your standing with the team and you'll eventually get there. I'm playing a 5'10" athletic PG with the Magic, and because they like to give Nelson minutes I end up moving to SG. Which is fine with me as I'm a good enough shooter that I can just try and get the ball and set up an open shot if needed.

TechSamurai

Neo Member
This latest patch seemed to drastically change the shotstick. I don't like it so far, but I probably need to practice a bit to get the hang of it again.

Does anybody know how to...just get more fucking plays called for you? The only shit that ever gets called is 53 roll which is between me and Artest. Gee, I'm looking forward to setting a screen and seeing Artest shoot behind the screen every fucking time. I wonder if it's offensive awareness or if you just have to deal with it.

My guy's in the playoffs right now, a center on the Lakers. We went down 0-3 to the Jazz but won 3 straight, now I get to try and make history :D

I decided to make another save file because I was curious to see how the off-season would go, and I tried different scenarios---seems like you only get to pick from 2-4 teams to join. They're generally the same each time too; I kept getting contracts with the Lakers, Thunder, Spurs, Jazz, and Hawks. I actually made a separate save file because I got an offer from the Heat and the Wolves (the team that apparently won the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes in the game :lol) I was curious to see if the Wolves would run plays for me but no, everything was for Melo and Beas ;(

Axis

ph33nix said:
Does anybody know how to...just get more fucking plays called for you? The only shit that ever gets called is 53 roll which is between me and Artest. Gee, I'm looking forward to setting a screen and seeing Artest shoot behind the screen every fucking time. I wonder if it's offensive awareness or if you just have to deal with it.

My guy's in the playoffs right now, a center on the Lakers. We went down 0-3 to the Jazz but won 3 straight, now I get to try and make history :D

I decided to make another save file because I was curious to see how the off-season would go, and I tried different scenarios---seems like you only get to pick from 2-4 teams to join. They're generally the same each time too; I kept getting contracts with the Lakers, Thunder, Spurs, Jazz, and Hawks. I actually made a separate save file because I got an offer from the Heat and the Wolves (the team that apparently won the Carmelo Anthony sweepstakes in the game :lol) I was curious to see if the Wolves would run plays for me but no, everything was for Melo and Beas ;(

I believe the offensive awareness has something to do with it, because if that isn't high enough - your guy won't have a high basketball IQ to recognize what's going on. Are you starting over Bynum or working off the bench to spell him? A lot of times, the backups don't get the ball too much and are just out there to rest the starters or keep your lead intact if you're up by a lot.

Team chemistry plays a part in it, too. If it's not high, then they won't share the ball with you enough.

Axis said:
I believe the offensive awareness has something to do with it, because if that isn't high enough - your guy won't have a high basketball IQ to recognize what's going on. Are you starting over Bynum or working off the bench to spell him? A lot of times, the backups don't get the ball too much and are just out there to rest the starters or keep your lead intact if you're up by a lot.

Team chemistry plays a part in it, too. If it's not high, then they won't share the ball with you enough.

I'm starting over him and my guy is supposed to play 39 minutes per game...but you are probably right, I'll eventually see. Offensive awareness is so easy to bump up.

And my player was not a part of history...fucking Kobe chucked away in the 4th while Utah began blowing the team out :( but is it me, or do the opposing players sometimes just fucking make everything? who the fuck is sundiata gaines and why is this guy torching the lakers in game 7?

reKon

Banned
Hey, can anyone tell me how to turn off living rosters for quick matches? I wanted to against my brother with regular rosters, but I can't because of this

Rendition

This probably a really dumb question, but how do I play one-on-one VS. matches online? I can't find it in the menus. I don't like playing TEAM MATCH b/c it's really laggy. Thanks.

Top Bottom