• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
OMG In my player mode, if your team gets blown out by 20, pick Indifferent and get ready to lolz. Your player will start to troll the reporter. Best game EVER.

What "happened"? They played really well. We player terrible. When that happens, and one team wins by a lot it's called a blow out. BLOW. OUT. We got blown.....out, man. I thought it was pretty obvious that's what happened. I can spell it out for you again if you want. Just let me know. Anybody?

:lol

SamuraiX-

So 2K released their 10-25-10 roster today. They also patched in their Living Rosters, tweaked injuries as needed. Added in some original rookies that were missing... but FUCK THEM FOR SHAFTING THE KINGS and some other teams too. They updated the Lakers late 2nd round picks and some others, but couldn't even put Luther Head on our roster or create Pooh Jeter. :(

Sumidor

Is there a way to turn off all the presentation stuff? I'm talking about the little cutscenes when timeouts are called, halftime report, all of it.

SamuraiX-

The presentation stuff is fun and awesome in association. Nice break from the action. But yeah, it can be annoying in online games.

Assemble!

I love the little touches in this game. I have four games left in the regular season on myplayer and I was at the free throw line. The crowd started chanting "MVP!.... MVP!"

It was cool.

zero margin said:
Oddly that was the only game that I destroyed the cpu. Every other game has either been close or me getting stomped, on pro setting no less.
Haha, yes!:lol
I`ve been getting my ass TURNED THE FUCK OUT on Superstar and All Star. I pass and dribble like I`m covered in vaseline and I turn the ball over like mad. I suck, but this thread makes it clear that there are plenty of shitty players to commiserate with.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Jtrizzy said:
Anyone know when the 3d patch is coming?
I think I saw January. I haven't bought this yet so I may wait for the Best Buy retail version in a couple weeks, which has 3D already. Kind of a weird system they have going here. I don't even know if you can get that one online or if you actually have to go in the store to get it.

edit: nm just saw you could order online searching nba 2k11 3d

My god! Been playing my friend who lives the building over. I always goto his place to play. Im always the Thunder and hes the Heat. He beats me 95% of the time. Tonight, I go over to play and he beats me the first game by 8. I beat him the next game by 6. Then he beats me by 11 and I finally let my frustration out. Something is not right, I drain shots at home that im missing at his place. I ask if he has Smooth Motion on and he checks and he does. I tell him to turn that stuff off and starts ragging on me for blaming that. I say lets play again and I proceed to beat him by 18 points. I swear, everything felt "right". My release with Durant felt like butter again. Hes still not a believer but I have a feeling im gonna start winning more.

I thought this was common knowledge, but turn off smooth motion on your LCD screens when playing video games.

Anyone have this on PC? Is it lacking in any way as compared to the PS3 version for example? I have a wired 360 pad I could play it with on my computer.

Also, for someone who's never really played basketball games and who isn't much into the sport as a fan, would this game be fun? I tried MLB The Show and though I don't care for baseball I had a good time with that. TY

benjipwns

Banned
opticalmace said:
Anyone have this on PC? Is it lacking in any way as compared to the PS3 version for example? I have a wired 360 pad I could play it with on my computer.
The online benchmark doesn't work right, so currently it defaults to low settings online and cannot be overridden, but that will be fixed in a patch at some point. And there is a minor shading/shadow issue. But other than that it's the same as the console versions except you can run it at higher resolutions with AA and add mods. Using the 360 controller will make it play exactly the same as it does on 360, other than the graphical bump.

How the hell do you force steals in this game against the CPU? I always get lots of blocks but can't seem to get hardly any steals. Trying to get the Five by Five achievement.

benjipwns said:
The online benchmark doesn't work right, so currently it defaults to low settings online and cannot be overridden, but that will be fixed in a patch at some point. And there is a minor shading/shadow issue. But other than that it's the same as the console versions except you can run it at higher resolutions with AA and add mods. Using the 360 controller will make it play exactly the same as it does on 360, other than the graphical bump.
Thanks for the info. So offline it works fine though? Just online it'll go to low quality? I pretty much only play sports games offline anyway.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
ToyMachine228 said:
How the hell do you force steals in this game against the CPU? I always get lots of blocks but can't seem to get hardly any steals. Trying to get the Five by Five achievement.
Work on your traps, double teams, and passing lanes.

Its not that easy to get on-ball steals anymore.

mr stroke

Just picked up the game, and its really good so far.

but it is it me or does it take forever to find a Ranked game online?(Xbox360)
WTF
it says there is 25k players online but still 10 mins to find a game(or even longer)

TheFatOne

Can anyone give me some tips for my player. I made a center but he is so fucking bad. I have zero chance of scoring because of my low stats, and when I finally get great position they chuck fade away threes. How did you guys get past the beginning?

pilonv1

TheFatOne said:
Can anyone give me some tips for my player. I made a center but he is so fucking bad. I have zero chance of scoring because of my low stats, and when I finally get great position they chuck fade away threes. How did you guys get past the beginning?

Set screens + box out until you get your stats up. You should be able to get some decent points between that, milestones and drills.

TheFatOne said:

-Set it to 12 minute quarters, you can get an A+ just by setting 50 screens if the quarters are this long. The Combine is terrible because every other rookie is a selfish dumbass and you have to play all 48 minutes, but the more time you have then you can accumulate better stats and that means more SP.

-Always chose the athletic option when starting out. Physical stats are the most expensive to boost.

-If you're a big, pour most of the initial 10k SP into vertical. I boosted mine to 75 and wore the Jordans with +5 vertical. I got a 20/20 my first combine game just jumping over dudes for boards and getting dunks.

-Always do the Challenge Shot drill, by far the easiest one to get gold in.

-Also put some SP into ball security so you don't trip over yourself after 1.5 dribbles. For my latest big I've gotten it just to the low 40s and it's a world of difference.

benjipwns

Banned
Red Blaster said:
-Set it to 12 minute quarters, you can get an A+ just by setting 50 screens if the quarters are this long. The Combine is terrible because every other rookie is a selfish dumbass and you have to play all 48 minutes, but the more time you have then you can accumulate better stats and that means more SP.

-Always chose the athletic option when starting out. Physical stats are the most expensive to boost.

-If you're a big, pour most of the initial 10k SP into vertical. I boosted mine to 75 and wore the Jordans with +5 vertical. I got a 20/20 my first combine game just jumping over dudes for boards and getting dunks.

-Always do the Challenge Shot drill, by far the easiest one to get gold in.

-Also put some SP into ball security so you don't trip over yourself after 1.5 dribbles. For my latest big I've gotten it just to the low 40s and it's a world of difference.
I'm not sure a better strategy guide could be posted. One thing to add, you can change the minutes whenever you want so you can do like six minute quarters or something in the Combine and Training Camp since you have to play the whole thing then go back to twelve minutes once you can sim through the bench time again.

I was hoping they would have improved upon it this year but I guess adding the code that fires every coach and makes it crash was more important.

As I said yesterday, I've been frustrated that I never get a lot of steals and I can't get the 5 by 5 achievement. I usually get a lot of blocks, but few steals. Well last night I got 8 steals in a game, but couldn't block a god damn thing.:lol Just my luck.

TheFatOne

I think I'm going to stick to 2k10 for my player. Playing as a Center is so damn boring. I never get the ball, the only time I score is off offensive rebounds, it doesn't matter how close or how far or how open I am I will miss the shot, and if i take two steps any defender will immediately strip the ball away from me or stop me from moving and then strip the ball away from me. That animation where the defender pushes you away from the play is so damn annoying. Even if I stand still and try to post up on a guy it goes into that stupid animation. Since I already have a PG at 70 overall in 2k10 I just don't see the point of playing 2k11.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SonnyBoy said:
Can anyone give me some advice for using Paul Peirce, I've never used a player so inconsistent!
He has a bunch of different shooting animations, doesn't he? They all have different release points. Just mess around with him in Practice mode and go through all the different shot types to figure it out.

Solved my issue with not being able to get the 5 blocks, 5 steals achievements. Play 12-minute quarters:lol Was only playing 5 minute quarters. Had 12 blocks and 11 steals with the Heat against the Cavs in the game:D

Thinking about purchasing this. For those with the PC version, are you guys getting the patches day and date with the console ones this year?

benjipwns

Banned
Gully State said:
Thinking about purchasing this. For those with the PC version, are you guys getting the patches day and date with the console ones this year?
Unknown, there hasn't been a patch for the consoles yet. (Other than some minor online tweaks that didn't apply to the PC version.)

There is apparently someone officially in charge of the PC version this year though.

benjipwns said:
Unknown, there hasn't been a patch for the consoles yet. (Other than some minor online tweaks that didn't apply to the PC version.)

There is apparently someone officially in charge of the PC version this year though.

That's good to hear I suppose...Ronnie was horrible last year in relaying info.

SamuraiX-

NBA 2K11 1.2 Patch Details

kcxiv said:
GENERAL GAME FEATURES
- Fixed a soft hang that would occur when loading an in-game save that was created during a timeout situation. This change also affects in-game saves created in the various game modes (Association, My Player, etc.). It addresses the My Player freeze issue that some of you have run into: http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272363.

- Fixed a hang on startup (when the game went to load files) that would happen when the user had a large number of saved files on the hard drive/storage device.

- The Cleveland Cavaliers court floor has been updated to reflect the design being used for the 2010-11 season.

- The ‘My Rookie of the Year’, ‘One for All’, and ‘Not Over Yet’ Achievements/Trophies should now properly unlock once the necessary conditions are met.

- Long socks should no longer appear visually corrupted during gameplay.

- Correct player signatures are now shown on Pressbooks that are uploaded to the 2K Sports server.

- The ‘Player Progression’ menu (Located in Features -> Living Rosters) should now properly work when new Living Roster updates are applied. Please delete the ‘Player Progression’ save file after the patch is released so the system can bring the file up-to-date.

GAMEPLAY
- Improved Shot Stick shot release timing and consistency across offline and online games.

- Fixed a rare hang that would occur when intentionally fouling the inbounder.

- Dunks will now branch into mid-air collisions, resulting in contact layups and changes in shots.

- Big men with low vertical ratings will now jump the appropriate height when rebounding and contesting shots.

- Addressed an exploit when using the Hopstep Dunk. Players will now branch to a contested shot animation when defenders are nearby.

- The ballhandler will no longer pick up his dribble when a ‘take charge’ attempt fails.

- Users are now able to execute the Crossover move when using the ‘Alternate A’ controller configuration.

- Added high trajectory shots when the shot is taken along the baseline. This will reduce/eliminate baseline shots that just hit off the side of the backboard.

- Addressed a playcalling issue where non-stars are getting a bulk of the plays run for them during specific situations.

- Queued pass/shot commands are now deleted when a fumbled catch occurs.

- Improvements have been made to the directional passing system with the end result being more accurate pass targeting.

- Tuned under-basket shots such that big players are no longer overpowered by smaller defenders, thus forcing a bad shot.

- Body-ups have been re-tuned such that good dribblers do not ‘lose’ during a mismatch or by taking good angles.

- Queuing a fake pass command when catching the ball will no longer result in a touch pass.

- Missed and inaccurate passes will now play at an appropriate rate when passing out of a shot or contact shot.

- Long range passes have been re-tuned to fix a gameplay exploit. Also, improved defender reactions on such passes so that they are properly contested.

- Users are no longer able to call a timeout when they are bobbling the ball.

- Improved AI logic for boxing out, ensuring that players go into boxout situations when appropriate.

- Players boxing out their opponent should no longer be called for Over the Back fouls.

- Tuned ‘Take Charge’ logic such that charges will now be properly called when the defender is set. This includes a fix for the pro-hop exploit where charges were not being called.

- Fixed an issue with player swapping during rolling inbounds; users will no longer be stuck controlling a player with the inability to switch players.

- AI defenders will no longer closely guard bad shooters far from the hoop when not necessary.

- Improved AI steal behavior and tuned the overall steal frequency/difficulty; defenders should now only attempt steals when they are actually looking at the ball.

- On the ‘Casual’ game style only, defenders are now slightly slower to react on passes, thus limiting the number of pass deflections.

PRESENTATION
- Fixed a long hang that would sometimes occur at the end of the highlight reel between quarters.

- When an Arena Music event is triggered, it will now randomly select one of the available songs instead of always playing the first song in the list.

- Addressed a few minor audio issues including instances where the commentators would call a few players by the wrong name, instances where a commentary line would cut out mid-sentence, instances where the commentary would refer to a missed shot as a made shot, and clean-up in the Doris Burke analysis during playoff situations.

- The commentators will now tell Coach ‘stories’ during gameplay. These stories tie-in with the Player/Team stories for an increased presentation experience.

- Users are now able to button through lengthy substitution overlays and get right back to gameplay.

- Fixed a very rare hang that would happen during the Player of the Game segment at the end of the game.

- Fixed an occurrence where the incorrect portrait was displayed for a created/generated player.

- Voice Chat improvements have been made to eliminate/reduce the amount of background static that can be heard in Team-Up/Pick-Up games.

- Users are no longer able to substitute in injured/fouled out players during Crew games.

- Opponents can no longer see Pick and Roll and Play Calling icons during online games.

- Addressed a game disconnect issue when one user would call a timeout, quit out of the game, and attempt to start another game.

ASSOCIATION
- Addressed a hang that would occur in the transition between the 1st and 2nd quarters in the weeks leading up to the All-Star break.

- Injured players will no longer lose their Player Role due to an injury, which ultimately led to may unhappy players around the league.

- Fixed an issue that caused a decrease in trading activity in future years. This same issue also resulted in valued free agents not signing during the free agency time period of the offseason.

- Home court advantage (for simulated games) has been toned down during the regular season, and even more so during the playoffs (this fix also applies to My Player mode).

- Participating in Intra-Squad Scrimmages will no longer disable Intentional Fouls during regular NBA games.

- Addressed an issue where trade values would drop to 1-star when a Weekly Practice was scheduled.

- Fixed a bug where coaches would get fired continuously (this fix also applies to My Player mode).

- Users are now able to properly waive players in the Training Camp period of the offseason when there are more than 15 players signed to the team.

- Corrected an issue where the Qualifying Offers period was automatically getting skipped, thus not allowing users to make qualifying offers to their restricted free agents.

- Addressed an issue where Potential values weren’t being properly updated in the player progression system.

- Existing NBA players should no longer have their signature animations changed at the end of every season based on their skill progression/regression (this fix also applies to My Player mode).

- Fixed an issue where generated players would be created with the award history of a player currently in the Hall of Fame (this fix also applies to My Player mode).

- Tuned rookie generation code such that incoming talent is more in-line with players already in the league. Other generation improvements were made as well, including better secondary position logic along with adjustments to the size of the incoming players (this fix also applies to My Player mode).

- Users are now able to call plays during Intra-Squad Scrimmages in the Live Practice feature.

- Players who have the ‘Prospect’ player role are now much more forgiving of their role, meaning they will no longer become upset when they are in the role until they have reached a high rating.

- Addressed a number of other smaller issues within the mode (better CPU logic when accepting/declining Team Options, undrafted rookies should no longer sign larger than expected contracts, etc.).

MY PLAYER
(A number of issues that also affect My Player mode were listed above in the Association section. Those issues were noted as such.)

- Addressed a hang that would sometimes occur when completing a game during the NBA time period.

- The user’s team will now be more efficient in finding a trade to one of the requested teams when a Trade Request is made.

- The Rookie of the Year Milestone should now properly unlock when the conditions are met.

- Addressed a playcalling issue where the dribbler would hold the ball until the last second during My Player games.

- PlayVision art is now drawn on the floor when the CPU calls a play, easily enabling the user to follow the action on the court.

A good deal of stuff addressed in this patch. Still a few things left out, but overall I am impressed they accounted for nearly all of the complaints.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone played the 3D version yet? Got it yesterday but haven't had a chance to play (this will be my first experience with 2K11 so I won't have much of a basis for comparison although I do otherwise quite like 3D gaming on the PS3).

Anyone else have trouble hitting 3's with LeBron James from the corners? They're always 2's. It's like he's too big or something. There's not really any room to move backwards...

erragal

ToyMachine228 said:
Anyone else have trouble hitting 3's with LeBron James from the corners? They're always 2's. It's like he's too big or something. There's not really any room to move backwards...

You really just have to rely on the game to do it for you, otherwise you'll end up going out of bounds.. If you pay attention on corner 3's, when you attempt the shot some shooters will automatically adjust their feet before launching it. It seems to happen more often when you don't rush the shot (A lot of my transition corner 3's end up as 2's, but shots coming off screens seem more consistent).

I don't think height has a lot to do with it, as I hit corner 3's with Ersan Ilyasova all the time.

XiaNaphryz

erragal said:
You really just have to rely on the game to do it for you, otherwise you'll end up going out of bounds.. If you pay attention on corner 3's, when you attempt the shot some shooters will automatically adjust their feet before launching it. It seems to happen more often when you don't rush the shot (A lot of my transition corner 3's end up as 2's, but shots coming off screens seem more consistent).

I don't think height has a lot to do with it, as I hit corner 3's with Ersan Ilyasova all the time.
Maybe doing a signature gather will help set the feet better?

Not liking the changes made to My Player mode with the patch.

Now the team calls EVERY single play and you have to follow the play calling to the T or else the point guard just sits there and dribbles the ball until time runs out. The plays don't just develop based off what you were doing like before.

Worst of all, there is no way to turn this option off. I'm definitely deleting my 360's cache so I can play 2k11 unpatched.

XiaNaphryz

Agreed - my PG is getting moved to SG a lot more often post-patch, and therefore I can't call plays anymore for a good portion of the game. This whole mess would have been avoided if they simply let you disable auto-playcalling.

Sumidor

ALaz502 said:
Not liking the changes made to My Player mode with the patch.

Now the team calls EVERY single play and you have to follow the play calling to the T or else the point guard just sits there and dribbles the ball until time runs out. The plays don't just develop based off what you were doing like before.

Worst of all, there is no way to turn this option off. I'm definitely deleting my 360's cache so I can play 2k11 unpatched.
I spent a good 10-20 minutes trying to figure out if I could turn that crap off. So stupid, I couldn't even get through 1 game, so frustrating. I'm sending this game back, I doubt they'll patch that.

Top Bottom