• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

charsace said:
There is a glitch with my player and saving replays from it that fucked up all my saves. Had to delete everything. :(
im not touching myplayer until they patch that shit. too buggy still.

BTW, PS3 League starts tuesday night! Sign in gents,

ecnal

charsace said:
There is a glitch with my player and saving replays from it that fucked up all my saves. Had to delete everything. :(

i did something too during the first few days when the game came out that deleted all my shit.

fourtunately, i only had done the first 4 or 5 jordan challenges... i'll never understand how 2K consistently fucks up little things that ultimately destroy the overall experience.

it's basically guaranteed that there will be some stupid bug that destroys all your save files. shit happened to me in 2k10 too :/

What's the roster everyone is using? I just picked up the game yesterday, and it loads up a preloaded file called "Roster," but is that the same as the "Living Roster?" Also, when I try to click the "Living Rosters" button on the team select screen, nothing happens. I know you can download Rosters through the in-game menu, but do you have to load that Roster up each time you play or will the game automatically do this?

I suspect not because when playing as the Blazers BOTH Oden and Przybilla are both available.

I haven't touched a sports game besides Tiger Woods in about 5 years, so I have no idea what's going on. Someone enlighten me.

Pezking

Got the game today.

Couldn't say no to 35 Euros from amazon.de! :D

Lost my first game on pro by 30. (Five Minute Quarters...:lol)

So rookie difficulty it is for the time being...

AHappyPanda said:
What's the roster everyone is using? I just picked up the game yesterday, and it loads up a preloaded file called "Roster," but is that the same as the "Living Roster?" Also, when I try to click the "Living Rosters" button on the team select screen, nothing happens. I know you can download Rosters through the in-game menu, but do you have to load that Roster up each time you play or will the game automatically do this?

I suspect not because when playing as the Blazers BOTH Oden and Przybilla are both available.

I haven't touched a sports game besides Tiger Woods in about 5 years, so I have no idea what's going on. Someone enlighten me.
i think living roster is dictated on how actual nba players fair on any given day.
for example, if kobe goes on a cold streak during the season, the living roster update will also reflect that cold streak of his. it shouldn't be called "living roster" as its always confused with roster update.
i think that's the gist.

see5harp

God damn this game is infuriating when playing as a pro. I don't know what is deal, but it seems like no one can make a shot in this game. My record is probably 4 games below .500 and yet my team is the "best defense in the league." What time settings are you guys using for quarters to get realistic scoring? I love the game as a whole with all of the Jordan stuff, but there hasn't been a game as frustrating as this one in a while.

smik

see5harp said:
God damn this game is infuriating when playing as a pro. I don't know what is deal, but it seems like no one can make a shot in this game. My record is probably 4 games below .500 and yet my team is the "best defense in the league." What time settings are you guys using for quarters to get realistic scoring? I love the game as a whole with all of the Jordan stuff, but there hasn't been a game as frustrating as this one in a while.

play 10 minute quarters for accurate scores and you might want to leave the difficulty on default then move your way up to harder difficulty's.

also hit a brick wall playing online ranked.

people exploiting the under the rim pump fake dunk, spin dunk and off ball D and maxing out all coach settings does get annoying, but its the lag that gets into the way most of the time.

the amount of time people take to set up there "settings" is ridiculous i can understand the switching match up's and playing tight D on certain players but messing with the Offensive Defensive pressure settings along with maxing out Crash Boards/Fast Break is really exploiting imo

theres a reason some teams offense/defense arent that good is because of the natural players capabiltys, but once those sliders goes up most of it gets thrown right out the window (player stats) witch is definitely exploiting 2k's system.

simple, everyone should be on a level playing field.

if there from Japan,Taiwan,Korea you better get out of there real quick before it starts and search again because you shot-release will be very hard to capture because of the delay.

SamuraiX- said:
You need to save whatever created team or created players you have on a separate file name from "Roster" because 2K just keeps using that name whenever they make updates.

I know, but that means I'd still have to use to old player ratings/injuries/etc.

In 2k10 the rosters updated but the created players/teams were never erased.

jergrah

Is there an easy way to save replays? Meaning --- is there an option at the end of the game to go back and select a play and save it? Or is the only option to pause right after a play, select the replay option and save it then?

That's easy enough for single player games -- but when you are playing an online game, seems like it would be rude to pause for a minute+ while you save off/upload a replay.

Thanks!

I am having such a hard time getting use to this game ... is there a guide somewhere for noobs?

EDIT: I've been doing stuff under Practice but it all gets lost in translation when I go to an actual game. My guys won't dunk (or try) and it seems my defense can't stop anybody driving for the basket ..

It's frustrating and I know I need more time with the game ... but it's driving me crazy when I just come to a wall that moves in front of me as I try and go around him.

smik said:
Operation Sports NBA 2K11 Strategy Session
Volume 1: Defensive Settings
Volume 2: Understanding Movement
Volume 3: Passing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8c5ielIUjY&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmy5OBUkbw&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbAdDEQE9p4&fmt=22

Awesome, thanks!

smik

flyinpiranha said:
I am having such a hard time getting use to this game ... is there a guide somewhere for noobs?

EDIT: I've been doing stuff under Practice but it all gets lost in translation when I go to an actual game. My guys won't dunk (or try) and it seems my defense can't stop anybody driving for the basket ..

It's frustrating and I know I need more time with the game ... but it's driving me crazy when I just come to a wall that moves in front of me as I try and go around him.

Operation Sports NBA 2K11 Strategy Session
Volume 1: Defensive Settings
Volume 2: Understanding Movement
Volume 3: Passing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8c5ielIUjY&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmy5OBUkbw&fmt=22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbAdDEQE9p4&fmt=22

The M.O.B

Even on hall of fame difficulty, it is incredibly easy to get behind the defense for a quick outlet pass and dunk. The CPU takes forever to get back on defense so I can cheese by sprinting down the court and recieve a pass from Gasol easy. I only do it when I'm behind though. :D

viakado said:
i think living roster is dictated on how actual nba players fair on any given day.
for example, if kobe goes on a cold streak during the season, the living roster update will also reflect that cold streak of his. it shouldn't be called "living roster" as its always confused with roster update.
i think that's the gist.

Hmm that is confusing, but I understand. So will 2k be distributing roster updates any time soon?

Again, I'm confused by the availability of Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla because there's no timeline of return for Oden and it was announced today that Joel won't be back until mid-November.

Has 2k simply not done a roster update since the game's release? Is my best bet to just download one of the custom rosters available on the 2k file share?

NeoGIF

I'm loving the hell out of the game, but christ at the amount of interceptions and deflections.

It seems it doesn't matter if you're trying to make a short or long pass, your passes still get picked off.

I mostly find myself intimidated to pass at times. I hope they can tone this down in a patch soon.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
NeoGIF said:
I'm loving the hell out of the game, but christ at the amount of interceptions and deflections.

It seems it doesn't matter if you're trying to make a short or long pass, your passes still get picked off.

I mostly find myself intimidated to pass at times. I hope they can tone this down in a patch soon.
I don't think its that big of an issue most of the time. I just have to make more of an effort to stop playing sloppy and give the defense its credit.

smik

DY_nasty said:
I don't think its that big of an issue most of the time. I just have to make more of an effort to stop playing sloppy and give the defense its credit.

i agree.

definitely gotta give the defense its credit, just like MrOperation Sports quote "dont play videogames play basketball"

AHappyPanda said:
Hmm that is confusing, but I understand. So will 2k be distributing roster updates any time soon?

Again, I'm confused by the availability of Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla because there's no timeline of return for Oden and it was announced today that Joel won't be back until mid-November.

Has 2k simply not done a roster update since the game's release? Is my best bet to just download one of the custom rosters available on the 2k file share?
IIRC, 2k has already released 2 roster updates since launch.
albeit, not complete roster updates.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
NeoGIF said:

Watch the strategy vids posted above.

jergrah said:
Is there an easy way to save replays? Meaning --- is there an option at the end of the game to go back and select a play and save it? Or is the only option to pause right after a play, select the replay option and save it then?

That's easy enough for single player games -- but when you are playing an online game, seems like it would be rude to pause for a minute+ while you save off/upload a replay.

Thanks!
after the game is finished.
dont exit.
bring up the menu>>game stats>>gametrack.
from there you can watch all the individual baskets that went in.
you have the option to save it to your HDD where you can edit before uploading, or do straight uploading from there.

Does anyone else's NBA Today never load? I have to always go to options and load it manually. Is this a glitch that will be fixed with a patch? Last year it was usually fine.

ecnal

smik said:
What are your Versus Ranked Matched Records, Heres mine

31-4 with a 13 win streak

E-Penis Time Gaf boys :lol

i already gave up playing ranked matches online.

it gets old fast when every single person is the heat or lakers :lol

i think i went 8-0 or 7-0 before i quit

Got this in the mail today. Really liking it so far, the presentation is slick as can be.

Boy is it hard, though. Definitely going to have to check out those OS videos.

Been a while since I've been into any type of sport game (last NBA2K game I played was 2K4 or 2K5, the first one to be $20). The Association mode is basically franchise mode, right? The amount of stuff to do within it seems pretty daunting, but I'm up for it if it's no different than a classic franchise mode.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
NeoGIF said:

For your sanity sake turn down the "hands" slider. I'm ok with bad passes getting picked off. But when I'm running a fast break I don't think a defender should be able to be running away from the ball and just stick his hand up 90% of the time to steal a pass he couldn't see. I mean what is with some of these guys? Can they hear the ball coming?

SamuraiX-

Truelize said:
For your sanity sake turn down the "hands" slider. I'm ok with bad passes getting picked off. But when I'm running a fast break I don't think a defender should be able to be running away from the ball and just stick his hand up 90% of the time to steal a pass he couldn't see. I mean what is with some of these guys? Can they hear the ball coming?

What's more annoying is when they're clearing running at full speed in one direction, you make a pass toward a teammate on the break (at maybe a 30-45 degree angle?) that is a good distance behind the defender and the defender suddenly completely reverses his momentum going forward and applies it in the opposite direction to steal the pass.

Apparently momentum is for pussies and teleporting is fair game.

ecnal

Truelize said:

the hands slider changes numerous other things though. specifically, it's accounted for in steal success, how successful a player can catch a long pass (sometimes on long passes you get that stumble animation where a player will attempt to gather the ball while running), and the recovery time a player has when catching a pass and being able to go up for a shot.

for example, ray allen and jj redick both have fairly high hands ratings--presumably because their offensive tendencies are primarily reliant upon catch and shoot opportunities.

i'm really not a fan of altering sliders that are tied in to very specific categorical ratings--e.g. d/o awareness, hands, quickness, hustle, etc. it completely changes the experience, and people are changing it because they can't adjust to the new passing.

fastbreaks are EASY to run -- learn how to icon lead pass effectively.

smik

looking for a active Australian Online league to join, anyone have a active one going?

also can someone elaborate how online leagues work out?

see5harp

OK changed the quarters to 8 minutes and I'm getting stats a little closer to reality. Finally got player of the game with my scrubby PG at 46 by dropping 10 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, and 1 block on Dwayne Wade. It's one of those Demon's Souls things where it can be infuriating at times, but when stuff clicks....damn. Straight stuntin in my Jordan IX's.

JetBlackPanda said:
is this game 4 player local? -sorry for the stupid question
yeah 4 local.
smik said:
looking for a active Australian Online league to join, anyone have a active one going?

also can someone elaborate how online leagues work out?
which platform?
if for console, did you purposely ignore half the posts here about gaf leagues?
i do believe pilonv is in an active league in the aussie territory. ask him.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
NeoGIF said:

I don't mind being punished for bad passses but the CPU's near superhuman ability to pick off passes is a lot more annoying when coupled with the fact that those fucks are able to literally throw passes through my fuckin chest.

smik

viakado said:
yeah 4 local.

which platform?
if for console, did you purposely ignore half the posts here about gaf leagues?
i do believe pilonv is in an active league in the aussie territory. ask him.

yeah pretty much :lol wasn't interested in online leagues until i got hooked into the game, also platform is xbox360.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Association mode still breaks itself in a few areas once you get past 5-7+ seasons.

Things I've noted:

When you schedule weekly practices (not development, thats different) you'll notice that all of your players will have a 1-star trade value rating until the effect of practice wears off.

Bad centers with high potential are overvalued by the CPU. So much so that a team will jump at the chance to give away a legit young player, established vet/cap relief, and a pick for a 2nd round 62 rated 7' with B+ potential score.

They don't manage players well at all. There are 6 teams in my league right now that have all but 3 players asking for trades.

In the past when you had a fantasy draft, the initial player contracts were so jacked that it almost instantly broke the league. Now its the other way around. After the 5th year, teams will break their bank signing guys to the dumbest contracts of all time - past all realism. Once the league gets past year 10, every team other than my own was scraping the hardcap and their were 10 80+ rated players waiting in the FA pool.

The draft day trades are a nice touch, but since you're not able to look at the draft pool when its not your pick, it makes judging when to bite on a trade and when not to. The mock draft layout is buggy as well. For example, if you made a trade during the season with the Raptors for their pick while keeping your own, you'll see the Raptors logo for where your team's logo should be. Sometimes all the team logos will be missing. The big board is missing during the draft sim as well. Another thing is that teams will just flatout ask you for stupid trades. "We'll give you the #7 pick for the #4! Derp". It gets annoying. Sometimes there are some good deals that make a lot of sense, other times a team will ask you for 2 first round picks for their second round selection.

The white house visit... cute, but totalitarian overlord-king obama is starting to frighten me now that its 2017 in my league.

BIG BIG BIG bug - Lets say that because of playing time issues, you want to stash your good point guard in the d-league for the season. Okay. Cool. You roll through the season but because of depth issues, you need to sign another center. This move puts you back 15 total players on the roster. If you finish the season with all 15 players, you will not be able to call your d-league player back up at season's end. He will stay there. FOREVER.

Development drills are a lie. Defensive drills will never increase your speed or quickness. Shooting will never improve your 3pt shot. FT shooting can only be improved in the offseason camps. Ball security, offhand dribbling, inside scoring, low post scoring can not be improved at all. Ever.

Tendencies don't change. It doesn't matter how much you develop some guys. They can have a 96 rating - they may never average more than 16ppg.

Another big bug - if you're just thinking of firing your assistant coach, scout, prospect scout or trainer THINK before you actually select fire. Once you select fire, there is no going back. You will be essentially forced to select a new staff member at the next screen because it won't let you back out until you do. This doesn't apply to head coaches though at least.

Homecourt advantage in the playoffs is serious business. I've noticed waaay too many series going on where teams never won on the road. Teams that were obviously better across the board will get pushed to 7 games simply because the road dynamic in the playoffs is just too much to fuck with. If you're simming playoff games, you have homecourt and its game 7 - 9 times out of 10 you will win. Not bullshitting you. Unless someone goes down with an injury in game 7, you're victory is all but guaranteed.

Prospect scouting... its bugged. If your scouts check a guy more than 5 times or more, you'll get a jumbled mess when you try and read their reports. The overall grades and league comparison will still be there, but the reports regarding draft position will be unreadable.

Another issue with automated prospect scouting is that the scouts won't scout to a traded picks likely position. I went on a tear for a couple of 60+ wins seasons and it was very frustrating to see at the end of the year that my scouts had spent all their time checking out players who were mostly in the mid-late 1st/2nd round area instead of in the lottery - even though I had traded up for lottery picks ahead of time.

I don't play with player chemistry usually, but I'll try that when I start a new association mode.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ecnal said:
the hands slider changes numerous other things though. specifically, it's accounted for in steal success, how successful a player can catch a long pass (sometimes on long passes you get that stumble animation where a player will attempt to gather the ball while running), and the recovery time a player has when catching a pass and being able to go up for a shot.

for example, ray allen and jj redick both have fairly high hands ratings--presumably because their offensive tendencies are primarily reliant upon catch and shoot opportunities.

i'm really not a fan of altering sliders that are tied in to very specific categorical ratings--e.g. d/o awareness, hands, quickness, hustle, etc. it completely changes the experience, and people are changing it because they can't adjust to the new passing.

fastbreaks are EASY to run -- learn how to icon lead pass effectively.

That's fine. I have read quite a bit on Operation Sports that has lead me to believe that what hands effects most is the ability for the other team to tip passes. Actually says in game too.
But I find I have very consistent realistic games with my sliders. I have done quite a bit of adjustments to how I play this game over 2k9, but still found that with adjusting the "hands" sliders I have found a better balance with how jedi the defense can act at times. I don't have issues with how the defense reacts on fast breaks. I have had issues with how the game reacts to some passes in the half court.

I am a fan of altering sliders that help me find my happy zone with this series.

One of the best things about this game is how specific you can tune it to your liking. Probably the only game I have ever played where two people can tweak sliders in completely different ways and still have excellent experiences (that are realistic) because the tweaks have been made to match the game style enjoyed by the player.

DY_nasty said:
Association mode still breaks itself in a few areas once you get past 5-7+ seasons.

Things I've noted:

Good post man. You honestly just saved me a lot of hours. I'm just going to stick with the league, exhibition games, and being Kevin Durant's bitch for a while until the Miami Heat decide that they want a 7'1 defensive minded center!

It felt good to supplant Cole Aldrich's starting center spot 8 games into the season. After the game they asked me how I felt about my first start and I answered "arrogant" and my guy said "I'm clearly the best guy for this job LOL are you fucking kidding me" and my team mate chemistry went down :lol

---i just stuffed the shit out of devin harris and the game didn't count it as a block, fuck you 2k!

ecnal

Truelize said:
That's fine. I have read quite a bit on Operation Sports that has lead me to believe that what hands effects most is the ability for the other team to tip passes. Actually says in game too.
But I find I have very consistent realistic games with my sliders. I have done quite a bit of adjustments to how I play this game over 2k9, but still found that with adjusting the "hands" sliders I have found a better balance with how jedi the defense can act at times. I don't have issues with how the defense reacts on fast breaks. I have had issues with how the game reacts to some passes in the half court.

I am a fan of altering sliders that help me find my happy zone with this series.

One of the best things about this game is how specific you can tune it to your liking. Probably the only game I have ever played where two people can tweak sliders in completely different ways and still have excellent experiences (that are realistic) because the tweaks have been made to match the game style enjoyed by the player.

i dunno what OS has concluded, but it's really easy just to look @ the hands ratings and compare players to realize what it does. plus, it has done the same thing since like 2k6(?).

ron artest, one of the highest rated SF in the game defensively. 67 hands.
jj fucking redick, a low 60's rated SG that has no defensive prowess whatsoever. 82 hands.

players with extremely high offensive tendencies/ratings have high hands, period. hands has always been the primary rating that regulates a players ability to catch and finish a pass.

you've probably adjusted other sliders that have changed intercepted passes, and/or you've adjusted to the new passing mechanics and the slider adjustments have been placebo.

about the whole slider adjustment thing:

it is great that people can adjust sliders and fine-tune a game experience to their liking, that's what they're there for. i would still not suggest that people change sliders that are related to very specific categorical ratings because (1) they only change a very minute portion of the gameplay (dropping the hands slider to 25 will not stop intercepted passes) and (2) because those ratings are so specific, you can seriously skew the experience and change individual players' abilities.

and, in general, i'm still 100% confused as to why there are so many people complaining about intercepted passes this year. you can't just throw the ball around anymore, deffensive stalwarts will make you pay for careless passes. it's not like players are jedi mind tricking you in to throwing an intercepted pass. besides, icon lead passing (even just icon leading them very small distances away from their defender) essentially nullifies all chances of getting passes intercepted.

intercepted passes seem like this year's missed lay-up/dunk fiasco from 2K8. people need to adjust to the vanilla gameplay or, as you've done, adjust sliders to their liking. i seriously hope 2K does NOT patch the current passing mechanics, it would be a shame.

true, you still gonna play the full season in league play?

charsace

ph33nix said:
Good post man. You honestly just saved me a lot of hours. I'm just going to stick with the league, exhibition games, and being Kevin Durant's bitch for a while until the Miami Heat decide that they want a 7'1 defensive minded center!

It felt good to supplant Cole Aldrich's starting center spot 8 games into the season. After the game they asked me how I felt about my first start and I answered "arrogant" and my guy said "I'm clearly the best guy for this job LOL are you fucking kidding me" and my team mate chemistry went down :lol

---i just stuffed the shit out of devin harris and the game didn't count it as a block, fuck you 2k!
My player doesn't count dunks sometimes too. When you go check the game track it will be recorded as a layup even though my man did a rim hanging dunk.

ecnal

charsace said:
My player doesn't count dunks sometimes too. When you go check the game track it will be recorded as a layup even though my man did a rim hanging dunk.

gametrack is bugged, just look @ the league website shot chart too.

gametrack in all modes does not register all shots. a team may take 50 shots and gametrack will only show 40 something.

smik

yes love the passing system on default i hoped they dont patch it, also the open missed layup does get annoying.

if im on the fast break with someone who cant dunk 70% of the time he fails on the open layup, on-top of that the defender is not even close but trailing from behind. weird

also your far better off to just reset the offense (especially on Offensive Rebounds) and run a play for another high percentage shot utilizing your teams strengths, low post plays are really underused with people in 2k11 Gasol,Bosh and Garnett have excellent low post games. use them

thats how im finding my biggest success online/offline

Anyone experience this bug on the last Jordan challenge?

Jeff Hornesack doesnt seem to get fouled out of the game. After 9 fouls still in the game, no subs or anything.

Jordan gets 6 fouls, on the bench!

parasight

Rabid Wolverine said:
Anyone experience this bug on the last Jordan challenge?

Jeff Hornesack doesnt seem to get fouled out of the game. After 9 fouls still in the game, no subs or anything.

Jordan gets 6 fouls, on the bench!

I just got the foul out bug in My Player. Gerald Wallace got his 6th and it said Fouled Out, but he continues to play.

Omiee

is there a reason why i cant edit options for nba 2k11 in the nvidia control panel, everytime i try to edit aa from 8x to 16x it wont let me and goes back to 8x..?
i dont have this problem with other games or nba 2k10

jlai

Has anyone on PS3 been having problems playing online? I've tried 5 times now and I keep getting the same error that says "a network problem has been encountered that prevents gameplay from continuing".

I even tried opening the ports and MW2 says I have an Open NAT Type now and tried mutliple modes.. all the same error.

ecnal

jlai said:
Has anyone on PS3 been having problems playing online? I've tried 5 times now and I keep getting the same error that says "a network problem has been encountered that prevents gameplay from continuing".

I even tried opening the ports and MW2 says I have an Open NAT Type now and tried mutliple modes.. all the same error.

i think they just released an online patch today for PS3.

maybe it fucked everything up?

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273921

their servers could just be down or overloaded at the moment as well...

jlai

ecnal said:
i think they just released an online patch today for PS3.

maybe it fucked everything up?

http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273921

their servers could just be down or overloaded at the moment as well...

The first time I tried it was last Sunday, and I had the same issue. Tried it again today a few times and same deal. I haven't been able to play one game online yet. The error message pops up pretty much right after tip off when a player touches the ball. Getting pretty ridiculous :(

ecnal

jlai said:
The first time I tried it was last Sunday, and I had the same issue. Tried it again today a few times and same deal. I haven't been able to play one game online yet. The error message pops up pretty much right after tip off when a player touches the ball. Getting pretty ridiculous :(

i would assume it's on your end then.

people here have been playing online on PS3 for weeks now. the GAF online league has started without a hitch as well.

smik

ecnal said:
i would assume it's on your end then.

people here have been playing online on PS3 for weeks now. the GAF online league has started without a hitch as well.

2k servers are down, i think there might me a roster update and patch coming soon.

last couple of days i have been getting alot of problems with the game freezing when loading on start up, anyone getting such issues?

Top Bottom