• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K13 |OT| Because Live is Dead

THIS. I don't get why every year there are little things that work perfectly and everyone likes them or that are just fine and don't need changing... and then they get changed. I get that there is only so much new ideas to bring to a yearly game and maybe you cant include EVERY feature since 2K9 but there are some things that just shouldn't be messed with.

Like the heat check in NBA 2K11, worked just fine and nobody complained. In 2K12 they changed it to on-the-fly camera adjustments; who the hell asked for that?

Smokey

LD2K you could also tell the dev team to take out the euro step 3 pt glitch....

i'm SURE they are working on that though right..? seems pretty easy to fix.

mhi

How the paint defense post patch ? I had a chance to play the game recently and it was basically trading buckets in the paint. Also holding having to hold the shot modifier in order to use the shot stick is weird. Def wayyy different from 2k12.

Also how come no sliders for MyCareer? Would fix a lot of the niggling issues it has, namely how you blow out everyone on Pro but get stomped by everyone on All-Star.

For MyTEAM, if you win you should NOT lose VC!! I have skills on my guys that I put on a long time ago so now my team is stuck at 450 VC cost for each game. I think you get around 300 for winning. Come on! I just beat this guy who had a super stacked team, I should get rewarded not penalized.

Wrayfield

How the paint defense post patch ? I had a chance to play the game recently and it was basically trading buckets in the paint. Also holding having to hold the shot modifier in order to use the shot stick is weird. Def wayyy different from 2k12.

More fouls called but scoring in the paint is still fairly easy. As for the shot modifier, you can change that in the settings and use the right stick to shoot without holding L2/LT.

lil smoke

Banned
Also how come no sliders for MyCareer? Would fix a lot of the niggling issues it has, namely how you blow out everyone on Pro but get stomped by everyone on All-Star.

hmph. I'm pretty new to NBA2K. Trying MyCareer, they gave me Boston. If I didn't know NBA I would think they were the worse team in the history of the league.

I don't blow anyone out, just trying to avoid mistakes and dish the ball as PG, but my team can't hit shots consistently nor do they D anyone. If I don't stop the ball, and it gets behind me, NO one else will. Amazing how good the Raptors and Jazz are, amazingly superb teams...

So far it's a good game, it's just not a fun mode. I like the season mode, however, after the season, it's just over. No continuation?

And all the under the hood cheating mechanisms are still there from basketball video games years ago. Quicksand movement, delayed response whenever you actually have a chance to do something good, however quick tidy response when you don't have a chance... ie. if the ball is going in the hoop, you have a clear path to rebound, if it's not, you will be delayed somehow...bs. Also how at the end of games, still seems like the computer takes over every aspect of the game. I thought we were behind this sort of programming, but I guess these games need it in order to function....?

Yeah points in the paint are still out of control. In MyCareer I usually see both my team and my opponent average 50-60 a game, played a game vs the Sixers and they had 79. Ridiculous.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
hey 2k guy

when does the dev team stop patching this game because they're too busy with next year's game?

Babalu.

man as a center in my career with maxed out steal (which is still low i think, like 50).

after the patch I can't even swipe once at anybody without getting a foul. I've fouled out the last two games because by habbit i'll take a swipe after a rebound or something. i've never really got any steals from it, maybe a handful in the 60 games i've played this season but damn those touch fouls are not good.

man as a center in my career with maxed out steal (which is still low i think, like 50).

after the patch I can't even swipe once at anybody without getting a foul. I've fouled out the last two games because by habbit i'll take a swipe after a rebound or something. i've never really got any steals from it, maybe a handful in the 60 games i've played this season but damn those touch fouls are not good.

Yeah but how often do you see big men swipe after a rebound, let alone get the steal?

Kronotech

Ok a few new questions.

I'm with the Suns and for some reason, Shannon Brown is starting PG over Dragic now. I need my star PG, not my 2 guard. I've sat down with the GM but I'm not getting a "I like playing with..." option. Why the hell would my lineup change like that and can I get it back?

Also, to force trades for other players, do you use the "I don't get along with a player"? If so, could that have a potential negative affect on your rating? I want to make a few smart trades (goodbye Gortat and Telfair).

And why can you only change the camera while in a game? Big oversight by 2k. I have to change the camera at the beginning of every game and again at the half. No permanent option?

Wrayfield

Ok a few new questions.

I'm with the Suns and for some reason, Shannon Brown is starting PG over Dragic now. I need my star PG, not my 2 guard. I've sat down with the GM but I'm not getting a "I like playing with..." option. Why the hell would my lineup change like that and can I get it back?

Also, to force trades for other players, do you use the "I don't get along with a player"? If so, could that have a potential negative affect on your rating? I want to make a few smart trades (goodbye Gortat and Telfair).

And why can you only change the camera while in a game? Big oversight by 2k. I have to change the camera at the beginning of every game and again at the half. No permanent option?

I'm a PG and was traded to the Suns, now Shannon plays PG and I play SG. I will request another trade come offseason :(.

The whole GM talks has no effect on your team chemistry to my knowledge, also, couldn't make them trade someone, maybe didn't wait long enough? I am maxing out my PG-related skills now in the hope that I will be moved to PG at some point in my career...

PS: Don't mess with my man Gortat, I like that clumsy Pole :).

Kronotech

I'm a PG and was traded to the Suns, now Shannon plays PG and I play SG. I will request another trade come offseason :(.

The whole GM talks has no effect on your team chemistry to my knowledge, also, couldn't make them trade someone, maybe didn't wait long enough? I am maxing out my PG-related skills now in the hope that I will be moved to PG at some point in my career...

PS: Don't mess with my man Gortat, I like that clumsy Pole :).

Hm ok. I know there is an option at some point to allow you to give 5 players that you'd like the GM to acquire in a trade but maybe that's only if you're losing constantly. Weird to see that Brown is getting PG minutes for you too. It's completely illogical when there are 3 perfectly usable PG's with better ball handling and passing.

Also, my Gortat has been playing just like his real life counterpart, can't make easy buckets and not getting any rebounds (Scola leads in that category). Good thing I'll be leading us to the championship, woop woop!

Wrayfield

Hm ok. I know there is an option at some point to allow you to give 5 players that you'd like the GM to acquire in a trade but maybe that's only if you're losing constantly. Weird to see that Brown is getting PG minutes for you too. It's completely illogical when there are 3 perfectly usable PG's with better ball handling and passing.

Also, my Gortat has been playing just like his real life counterpart, can't make easy buckets and not getting any rebounds (Scola leads in that category). Good thing I'll be leading us to the championship, woop woop!

There was in the previous games, probably here as well, but I shouldn't have requested two trades in one season. (drafted by Blazers, traded to Golden State, then Suns) Guess the GM isn't sure I am sticking around beyond the season so why ask? I would be more in favour who to retain. Guys with expiring contracts either get extensions very early (without consultation of their star player, ahem, me) or are just not extended at all although they are young and promising. AI is a bit meh on those things. Also, I hope they fixed this in 13, but I doubt it, there was a bug that teams that started off with the top picks always had them in the following years, regardless of their records in the seasons.

Smokey

I said after makes. Read better!

Then that's even worse because you can adjust sliders or manually move your guy over to the spot to cover whoever is open. And the majority of time you attempt an out of control pass the ball goes out of bounds, which means I'm making fine outlet passes.

Don't try and justify your kraft sharp cheddar cheese brand of play

Troll

Would have bought if online works and is a better than terrible port

online works, dummy.
just that the only way to play friends is via online association or setting both of your country (on steam) to an obscure country like cambodia because 2k servers matchmakes players starting on your chosen country first. so let's say you want to play with a friend, set both of your country to cambodia and you'll have a better shot of finding each other.
it worked for me and zep. for both random matchmake and online association.

online works, dummy.
just that the only way to play friends is via online association or setting both of your country (on steam) to an obscure country like cambodia because 2k servers matchmakes players starting on your chosen country first. so let's say you want to play with a friend, set both of your country to cambodia and you'll have a better shot of finding each other.
it worked for me and zep. for both random matchmake and online association.

You just said "online works" and then spent an entire paragraph explaining a ridiculous way to simply get a match in, and why would I give 2k any more money when they're three peat champions in not giving a fuck?

Yeah great sale by you!

ZZMitch

Was thinking about getting this with some Xmas money but I have never really played a basketball game before. I heard this game has a pretty daunting control scheme, do you think it is something a new player can handle?

Picked up the Wii U version today, it has locked up on me four times. I knew the biometric scan thing was a silly gimmick going into it, but I figured it was still pretty cool but in practice it's mostly just annoying, particularly since I hold my controller in enough of an upright position to have it constantly activated. Decided to turn it off.

One of the big reasons I opted for the Wii U version was for off TV play, so while I'm tempted to get rid of it and grab the 360 version I might hang onto it for at least another couple of weeks because I'm about to find myself in a situation where being able to play sans TV will be very handy.

Having the game lock upon me in menus four times definitely soured me on the Wii U version, hopefully my experience with it will improve - not holding my breath, though. :p

mbmonk

Was thinking about getting this with some Xmas money but I have never really played a basketball game before. I heard this game has a pretty daunting control scheme, do you think it is something a new player can handle?

Yea. You can just learn a small number of controls at a time, and then just build on them. Switch the control scheme to use the buttons for shooting might be a bit easier in terms of learning the controls.

It will take some time. This game isn't NBA Jamz where you only have 2 or 3 buttons total. But you can play 2K at a basic level with only using a couple of buttons, and then learn over time how to use the rest.

mhi

Social rep guy,

any plans on building a more uhh modern engine ? i know with the yearly cycle its kinda difficult but with the new consoles a yr away plz consider it.

Stopping by on this thread because i still like NBA 2K but after finally playing 2k13 last night along with Madden 13 it just reassured me that sports games are dying for next gen systems. We are all playing the same game for the last three years, and it's clear we need a tech jump.

Also, the first dev to have separate teams working on games and three year cycles, specially for the first year on a new console, will absolutely have a huge quality jump.

I thought this gen was kind of a missed opportunity on most parts. 2K was good, but i felt like in the right conditions it could have been much better. I stopped buying the games after being frustrated with online play. If you're outside the US, it's almost impossible to get quality games online. Hopefully this will be better once the famous "dreamcast servers" are gone.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Nash has been back for 3 games but still is out in 2k. Imagine my surprise when i go look at Ronnie's twitter page for possible updates and see him pimping 2k currency being on sale or some shit.

I would be disgusted with myself if i had paid actual money for this. Good thing i just borrowed it. If by some miracle 2k is ever good enough in the future to buy, im just gonna get it used so they cant get my money.

ZZMitch

Yea. You can just learn a small number of controls at a time, and then just build on them. Switch the control scheme to use the buttons for shooting might be a bit easier in terms of learning the controls.

It will take some time. This game isn't NBA Jamz where you only have 2 or 3 buttons total. But you can play 2K at a basic level with only using a couple of buttons, and then learn over time how to use the rest.

Alright thanks, I will give it a shot I think!

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
MyPlayer is always boned. I was a SG and got subbed in at center once. That was the last game of my player i played.

Top Bottom