• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't begrudge guys leaving teams to play with people they want to play with to win a championship. and this warriors team is far from the first "super team"

but to join the team you were up 3-1 against, one win from the finals?

just does not sit right with me.

It's like if Shaq joined the Bulls.

He actually looks better in Cleveland than he did his last year in Miami. He had to be the best on court at everything except getting the opening tip for those Heat teams, dude was worn down. He got to Cleveland and they were like you don't have to guard anyone, you don't have to dive head first for every rebound, you don't have to be in the post. Then he got back on HGH and clips like these were a thing of the past.

Look at this 60 point game in Miami, no lift at all, no fast break points, everything below the rim.
He was worn down by the end of his last Miami year, carrying that team with Wade constantly hurt. People thought Wade was saving it for the Finals but he never recovered.

But LeBron was the most beastly freak he's ever been in those earlier Miami years. Never seen anyone his size run the floor as quickly as him. And he was regularly slamming insane alleys from Wade. Dude would literally dunk over dudes. Like entire body and feet over defenders.

VeeP

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...h-to-play-in-nba-finals-says-cavaliers-player

"I had a Cavs player disagree with your opinion of McGee, Brian. He postulated to me that he doesn't even think McGee's gonna be able to get on the court or certainly not stay on the court because he doesn't think he's quote, unquote 'smart enough' to be able to play in this series."

Wow, hopefully McGee dunks on those fools. He's had a great playoff series against Portland, Jazz, and Spurs.

beat

Bit old but I don't think it was posted at the time: Kevin Arnovitz's piece on the different cultures of the Warriors and the Spurs.
"Pop has always been more structured," says Brown, who was an assistant in San Antonio between 2000 and 2003 and held the top jobs with Cleveland (twice) and the Lakers before learning the ways of the Warriors as an assistant this season. "We give these guys a lot of ownership of what they do offensively. We'll tell them, 'Hey, if you are on the weak side of the court, just don't stand. You could do a lot of things. You could set a back screen. You can cut. You can set a pin down, and pop.' We give them guidelines depending on where they are on the floor. We just let them play. In San Antonio, even back when I was there compared to now, they are more structured from the standpoint that Pop calls a lot more action for those guys, then they will flow into a certain look."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...h-to-play-in-nba-finals-says-cavaliers-player

"I had a Cavs player disagree with your opinion of McGee, Brian. He postulated to me that he doesn't even think McGee's gonna be able to get on the court or certainly not stay on the court because he doesn't think he's quote, unquote 'smart enough' to be able to play in this series."

Wow, hopefully McGee dunks on those fools. He's had a great playoff series against Portland, Jazz, and Spurs.

Honestly?

Sounds like Dahntay.

FZZ

Banned
Yo so why aren't Cavs gonna be wearing the dope black sleeved jerseys game 1?

That shit won them Games 5 & 7

D:

D:

Dummies, how don't you play in that jersey

I predict Kyrie shoots every 3 from that dagger all games 1 and 2 now

Thought the game was tonight lol welp

Servbot24

Banned
i don't begrudge guys leaving teams to play with people they want to play with to win a championship. and this warriors team is far from the first "super team"

but to join the team you were up 3-1 against, one win from the finals?

just does not sit right with me.
They may not be the first, but they gotta be close to the most talented ever, at least on paper. Best shooter ever, another Reggie Miller level shooter, likely DPOY... and goddamn Kevin Durant

random25

I really don't mind KD going to the Warriors. He's a free agent, he's free to choose whichever team he wants to be with. It's not like he's Kobe that while under contract demands to be traded to a better situation lol.

Had KD joined the Clippers, people like Doc and Pierce would not be salty as hell like they are right now lol.

bionic77

The hottest of takes.
Is the best player of the winner of the first game the best player of time?
Suggested answer yes

And is the star player from the losing team overrated and a complete bitch?
Also suggest a strong ass yes

Welcome to the internet!

Always save your strongest armor for the final phase of the boss fight when you really need it.

Such armor can be too skill intensive, even the King himself has been caught frustrated.

VDrS9D.gif

mxgt

Banned

D:

Those jerseys are legit my favourite in the league

Pretty much any black jersey is great just for the intimidation factor

LeBron made it okay for a star player to willingly leave his team and join the team of his greatest on court rival. Dwayne Wade was the second best player in the league when LeBron made the decision. He was the first player ever to choose to play WITH his greatest competition as opposed to try and beat it.
Wait what? LeBron's Cavs never once played the Heat in the playoffs. When LBJ went to Miami the Heat were a consistent round 1 or 2 exit. The Heat weren't the Cavs "greatest competition" lol. That was the Pistons, Celtics and briefly the Magic. So no, LBJ certainly didn't do what KD did or pave the way for it. KD did something unique.

Boston was the king of the league that made the Miami big 3 happen
Celtics bullied the Cavs for years
Celtics destroyed the Raptors in their division for ages
Pierce buried the heat in 5 which made wadEmo
They teamed up to take out Boston

:p

spyder_ur

Honestly?

Sounds like Dahntay.

That Cav is not wrong. He's averaging 10 minutes a game in the playoffs, and only played 8 a game against the Spurs. That's for a reason. You can't trust him for extended minutes against smart, disciplined, versatile teams and the Warriors coaches know this.

I'd be surprised if he logged 10 minutes in a competitive game in the finals. If he's playing that much or more, something has probably gone wrong or the game has become very lopsided. McGee gave them exactly what they needed from him this season: energy off the bench and the ability to burn some rest minutes for their bigs against weaker opponents.

J2 Cool

I love the one and done rule. Don't want to go back to Tyson Chandlers or worse Kwame Browns stepping into the league at 18. Plus its fun to get a year long teaser in college, and see how good these guys are vs their peers.

beat

I just wanted an excuse to post one of my favorite Onion pieces on the topic: http://www.theonion.com/article/new-report-reveals-kentucky-seniors-forced-endure--52583

Those jerseys are legit my favourite in the league

Pretty much any black jersey is great just for the intimidation factor
Eh, I don't care that much about black alternate jerseys. Hell, outside of a few classic throwbacks (70s Nuggets and Blazers, mostly) and the unstoppable Memphis Sounds jerseys, I don't care about alternates in general.

But I've never liked sleeved basketball jerseys and I'm not coming around any time soon on those.

That Cav is not wrong. He's averaging 10 minutes a game in the playoffs, and only played 8 a game against the Spurs. That's for a reason. You can't trust him for extended minutes against smart, disciplined, versatile teams and the Warriors coaches know this.
He's only good for 15 a game at most in the Warriors scheme, between his asthma and the Warriors asking him to be a high-energy guy who moves a lot on both offense and defense.

What happened to the "LeBron can't win without a super team narrative?" Did last year's championship bury it? Now I only hear people taking about if LBJ is GOAT or not (crazy talk from people who weren't around for MJ and Kareem). But it seems like the narrative is shifting.

Fjordson

From reddit

something with curry?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6ehq88/ben_golliver_stephen_curry_says_he_has_a_little/

are the excuses beginning? is this any concern?
Literally says it doesn't alter his shot in that quote..

Why do sports fans online obsess over everything being an "excuse" or not. Weird as hell.

What happened to the "LeBron can't win without a super team narrative?" Did last year's championship bury it? Now I only hear people taking about if LBJ is GOAT or not (crazy talk from people who weren't around for MJ and Kareem). But it seems like the narrative is shifting.
I mean last year's team had multiple all-stars, same as his Miami days.

Anyone who says "Lebron can't win without a super team" as an insult is dumb as bricks, though. Lebron couldn't win as the only great player on his team. But neither could Jordan or Kareem or Kobe or Duncan or Bird or Shaq or-

bionic77

Why do sports fans online obsess over everything being an "excuse" or not. Weird as hell.

Anyone who says "Lebron can't win without a super team" as an insult is dumb as bricks, though. Lebron couldn't win as the only great player on his team. But neither could Jordan or Kareem or Kobe or Duncan or Bird or Shaq or-
Hakeem did it with bum ass bums.

And he did it against the best centers in the league.

And there is one difference between LeBron and most of those guys. He went from one super team to another to maximize his chances to win more chips. Which on one hand is extremely smart, but that is not a luxury most players had in the past. Most players have to sit through at least one rebuild, during which they lose prime years.

teepo

i think it's more directed towards the fan base that love to use excuses as to why they lost last year (curry's knee and draymond's suspension) despite kevin love suffering a concussion and being non existent in the first six games as well as the asterisk that is next to their first championship title

Gorillaz

People still say it but it's more so about his overall legacy and how much he still has left in the tank at what? 31?

If he beats this GSW team with Durant that would pretty much cement it for alot of people

VeeP

https://twitter.com/OracleArena/status/869998655289176064

If Stephen A. giving acknowledgement to his curse somehow cancels his curse out, does Klay giving acknowledgement to his blessing cancel that out?

Only a little more than 24 hours left...

It's hard to say :/. The Blessings of the Toaster may offset the Curse of Stephen A, but what about Lil B the Based Gods curse? I know Lil B removed it but can you really remove a curse that powerful? Maybe Lil B needs to curse his curse, for this curse to end?

https://www.quora.com/Which-NBA-teams-have-won-the-championship-with-no-All-Stars-on-the-roster

The 1975 champion Warriors were represented by Rick Barry.
The 1978 champion Washington Bullets were represented by Elvin Hayes.
The 1994-95 champion Huston Rockets were represented by Hakeem Olajuwon ('94 and '95).
The 2003 champion San Antonio Spurs were represented by Tim Duncan.
The 2004 champion Pistons were represented by Ben Wallace. (not sure if they count, no superstar, multiple all-stars when they were finally recognized)
The 2011 champion Dallas Mavericks were represented by Dirk Nowitzki.

The 2014 champion San Antonio Spurs were represented by Tony Parker.

Hakeem was the only one to do it twice, therefore, Hakeem = GOAT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom