• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curry improves the warriors far more than any player on that team. Every statistical analysis shows that he has an insane level of improvement on his team. Drays offensive game for example would be garbage in any other team, because absolutely noone would leave completely open to shoot 3s while the 2 best off the ball players in the league run all around the court making massive amounts of spacing issues on a reg basis. When Curry is on the floor, % of his teammates shooting skyrockets. Lebron who every slobers on the idea that he makes everyone better (he does), is second. Want to take a wild guess who number 1 is? Curry and he raises their % by almost twice as much as Lebron.

Dray offers a ton defensively and covers a lot of little holes, ie screens, switching, pass, reb, block, steal. Of course a great player will raise a team's chances for the ship, Kyrie also turns the Cavs into a much more dangerous weapon. Doesn't mean he is anywhere near Lebron. Frankly comparing Green and Curry's impact is straight up insulting. People have forgotten that Curry's the only player in like 7 years that legit dethroned Lebron for a bit for the best player until he got injured. I kinda wish Curry would go to another team next summer just to show what kind of insane impact he has as a player and on the other hand show how much people are overrating the shit out of his teammates.

I'm also excoted what a fit Curry is going to do to Kyrie in these finals now that he's actually fit. People who think they will even out are going to be disappointed of they're rooting for the Cavs
Speaking of underrated, seems like no one is noticing that Steph's been sort of a mini-demon on defense this postseason. I don't have any numbers on hand, but just watching every game Steph has turned it up on that end of the floor. Maybe all the sweeps have kept him fresh. Hopefully he can keep it up in what could be a physical Finals.

phanphare

Banned
Speaking of underrated, seems like no one is noticing that Steph's been sort of a mini-demon on defense this postseason. I don't have any numbers on hand, but just watching every game Steph has turned it up on that end of the floor. Maybe all the sweeps have kept him fresh. Hopefully he can keep it up in what could be a physical Finals.

his defense has been improving steadily and you could already see it during the 2015 season

he may not be the best 1 on 1 defender but he's really smart with his positioning and playing to the strengths of his defense as a whole

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's ridiculous that KD gets bashed for making exactly the right decision.

He's on an exceptionally well-coached team surrounded by great players with no ego on the court who play the game the right way, with the nucleus in its prime. He enjoyed the winningest regular season of his career followed by a historic playoff run, with his team posting a record 12-0 start going into a Finals series in which he's a heavy favorite. He's playing in a city and for ownership that facilitate incredible off-the-court opportunities. And he gets all of this while being paid all the money.

Durant won. He was right. Every other option was inferior by a wide margin. It's distasteful to pressure this guy into doing something so clearly suboptimal as turning down the GSW opportunity. Moms everywhere instruct their sons to avoid this kind of negative peer pressure.
Undoubtedly correct. Everyone calling KD a bitch for it is ridiculous. The man made the best decision for him. That people are so selfish to not like him for it shows how ridiculous sports "fans" are.
Curry improves the warriors far more than any player on that team. Every statistical analysis shows that he has an insane level of improvement on his team. Drays offensive game for example would be garbage in any other team, because absolutely noone would leave completely open to shoot 3s while the 2 best off the ball players in the league run all around the court making massive amounts of spacing issues on a reg basis. When Curry is on the floor, % of his teammates shooting skyrockets. Lebron who every slobers on the idea that he makes everyone better (he does), is second. Want to take a wild guess who number 1 is? Curry and he raises their % by almost twice as much as Lebron.

Dray offers a ton defensively and covers a lot of little holes, ie screens, switching, pass, reb, block, steal. Of course a great player will raise a team's chances for the ship, Kyrie also turns the Cavs into a much more dangerous weapon. Doesn't mean he is anywhere near Lebron. Frankly comparing Green and Curry's impact is straight up insulting. People have forgotten that Curry's the only player in like 7 years that legit dethroned Lebron for a bit for the best player until he got injured. I kinda wish Curry would go to another team next summer just to show what kind of insane impact he has as a player and on the other hand show how much people are overrating the shit out of his teammates.

I'm also excoted what a fit Curry is going to do to Kyrie in these finals now that he's actually fit. People who think they will even out are going to be disappointed of they're rooting for the Cavs
Also correct.

It's almost criminal how underrated Curry is due to his bad finals. The Warriors' prolific, game breaking offense is due to Curry's prolific, game breaking offensive game. Curry has, quite literally, the perfect skillset for this day's NBA. Due to fantastic coaching and management, the right people have been put around him to maximize the ancillary parts of his game as well.

phanphare

Banned
I do love the notion of kd leaving the thunder and intentionally not going to the best option for him because of some pseudo-macho bullshit

it's amusing

cHaotix8

Damn.. GAF consensus seems to be GSW :(

I have a good bet going on this for the CAVS...

Sorry to hear that. GSWs are the heavy favorites and I honestly wouldn't bet money on the Cavs unless I had some damn good odds, lol.

Undoubtedly correct. Everyone calling KD a bitch for it is ridiculous. The man made the best decision for him. That people are so selfish to not like him for it shows how ridiculous sports "fans" are.

Yeah, that's the biggest thing I've learned from this whole thing. I'm a pretty competitive dude myself but you put me in KD's situation and I'm doing the exact same thing, fuck the haters. Get paid, play the game at the highest level, not live in Oklahoma, and have fun. Fuck making decisions to please "fans" that would say "Fuck KD" for not living your life how they expect you to.

I do love the notion of kd leaving the thunder and intentionally not going to the best option for him because of some pseudo-macho bullshit

it's amusing

Kevin-Durant-Retweet.jpg

Champagne

Banned
I like how everyone in this thread seems to forget how good that thunder team was when KD was on it

3-1 lead on the best regular season team of all time and people in here are pretending like they didn't have the talent to get it done and KD had no choice but to go to the warriors if he wanted to win

That OKC team had 2 top 10 players (KD and russ), 2 skilled 7 footers (kanter and adams), a great defensive stretch big in ibaka, and was statistically the most dominant rebounding team of all time. But yeah he was "handicapping" his career by choosing any team except the warriors, right?

phanphare

Banned

I'm saying that if we consider the decision for him to leave okc a given it's silly to think he'd choose a less than ideal landing spot because of some pseudo macho bullshit

whether or not he should have left is another discussion but I think, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there were some fit issues with he and russ

Champagne

Banned
A max contract for Nerlens Noel? What in the....
Nerlens is one of the best defensive big men in the league and what's more important is that he's excellent at perimeter defense in a league that is becoming more and more about having big men who are mobile enough to handle guards in pick and rolls around the 3 point line

he's also a young dude who hasn't hit his prime yet

why would you expect him to get anything less than the max? there aren't exactly a lot of guys in the league right now with his skillset that will be around for 10+ more years

edit: for those that payed attention to the mavs this season their acquisition of noel totally turned that whole team around

dallas had one of the top 5 defenses in the league after acquiring him, he's a game-changer defensively

Joei

I like how everyone in this thread seems to forget how good that thunder team was when KD was on it

3-1 lead on the best regular season team of all time and people in here are pretending like they didn't have the talent to get it done and KD had no choice but to go to the warriors if he wanted to win

That OKC team had 2 top 10 players (KD and russ), 2 skilled 7 footers (kanter and adams), a great defensive stretch big in ibaka, and was statistically the most dominant rebounding team of all time. But yeah he was "handicapping" his career by choosing any team except the warriors, right?

Had Durant himself played a little better in any one of 3 games, it would have been the Thunder in the Finals. But let's not mention that and turn the blame to Westbrook.

If you guys want to blame anyone, blame Lebron for setting precedent. He's the one who has been on nothing but stacked rosters since The Decision and the Cavs are no exception.

Someone finally beats him at his own game and builds their own superior mega team and people lose their minds? What a joke.

Gorillaz

The stars had to align across four seasons for this current incarnation of the Warriors to exist.

We're literally watching unique history the likes the league has never seen - and may never see again - and people cannot stand to look because the star power is too blinding.

It's compelling drama to boot.

Alot of people also need to learn to live in the moment. People letting skip bayless talking points and hot takes get them all worked up.

Champagne

Banned
Had Durant himself played a little better in any one of 3 games, it would have been the Thunder in the Finals. But let's not mention that and turn the blame to Westbrook.
I really think that OKC could've played the Cavs to 7 last year if they had made it

That team was a fucking buzzsaw

Everyone likes to shitpost about westbrook being a ballhog, turnover machine, whatever

But as a Spurs fan that watched every single game the Spurs played last season, it was incredible to see how OKC torched them

That was one of the best overall Spurs teams that Pop has ever had and statistically one of the best defensive teams of all time and they just got fucked pounded on the glass and killed in transition

I genuinely think OKC could've been real deal championship contenders again this year if durant had stuck around

Give that team another year to gel and I don't see why it would be unreasonable at all to believe they could've taken down the warriors

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ah yes, I'm sure everyone feels the exact same way about things that they did 7 years ago.

I'm not sure I'd agree with things I thought 3 years ago. Are NBA players supposed to not mature/grow up?

Yes. That's right. The best option for him was the Warriors. This wasn't just a career decision, it was a life decision. Why is this so hard to understand?

He was garbage defensively in the first few weeks of the season but has been one of the best defenders as a pg this year. It helps that vs 4-5 teams, Steph guards the SG instead of PG though. Dude is getting 2011 level Lebron disrespect this year though. I still dkn how KD became the 2nd best player. Curry has owned him for 2 years, last ps even injured and has oytplayed him in the PS this year.

I forget the article but there is a very lengthy article on Steph on his MVP case for this year (he's not worthy but that's not the point). They picked 5 writers and each did a piece on Lebron, WB, Harden and Kawhi also. Basically some points showed that Curry greatly improves an already really good team, both individual and team level, which is much harder than doing so with a poor team. Forget the name of the article thoug 😒🙄 maybe someone here can recall what I'm talking about..

I really think that OKC could've played the Cavs to 7 last year if they had made it

That team was a fucking buzzsaw

Everyone likes to shitpost about westbrook being a ballhog, turnover machine, whatever

But as a Spurs fan that watched every single game the Spurs played last season, it was incredible to see how OKC torched them

That was one of the best overall Spurs teams that Pop has ever had and statistically one of the best defensive teams of all time and they just got fucked pounded on the glass and killed in transition

I genuinely think OKC could've been real deal championship contenders again this year if durant had stuck around

Give that team another year to gel and I don't see why it would be unreasonable at all to believe they could've taken down the warriors

Agreed, last year's Thunder was pretty special. They could have beaten the Cavs in the Finals and I feel like there's a much better alternate dimension where they did do that and Durant left anyway to team form a different kind of superteam with Amir and Swedish Larry Bird on the Celtics.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's ridiculous that KD gets bashed for making exactly the right decision.

He's on an exceptionally well-coached team surrounded by great players with no ego on the court who play the game the right way, with the nucleus in its prime. He enjoyed the winningest regular season of his career followed by a historic playoff run, with his team posting a record 12-0 start going into a Finals series in which he's a heavy favorite. He's playing in a city and for ownership that facilitate incredible off-the-court opportunities. And he gets all of this while being paid all the money.

Durant won. He was right. Every other option was inferior by a wide margin. It's distasteful to pressure this guy into doing something so clearly suboptimal as turning down the GSW opportunity. Moms everywhere instruct their sons to avoid this kind of negative peer pressure.

How I feel about it as well. If this was any other industry or career move, it would be a no brainer. The reactions to it in sports is super super dumb and does nothing more than bloat discussions with tons of garbage posts.

Ric Flair

Banned
The stars had to align across four seasons for this current incarnation of the Warriors to exist.

We're literally watching unique history the likes the league has never seen - and may never see again - and people cannot stand to look because the star power is too blinding.

It's compelling drama to boot.
LeBron is literally the only player I could see that stands any chance whatsoever of stopping them multiple times over a consecutive game series. If the Cavs manage to somehow win this series, I don't think there can be any doubt that LeBron is the greatest ever.

Ah yes, I'm sure everyone feels the exact same way about things that they did 7 years ago.

I'm not sure I'd agree with things I thought 3 years ago. Are NBA players supposed to not mature/grow up?

Are you suggesting wanting to continue to compete against teams that JUST ELIMINATED YOU AGAIN instead joining them is a sign of immaturity?

I think most would disagree with you, with their ultimate desire as a competitor being to get better and slay the beasts.

But I mean...I guess Jordan could have bolted Chicago to play SF with Isaiah, Joe, Dennis, Vinny and Bill in Detroit after they eliminated him in consecutive years on the way to 2 chips. Would have been more "mature", right? He might have won an extra ring or two.

Maybe Karl and John should have left Utah for Chicago after the first finals L. Better to have a ring than a legacy. Maybe Charles, Penny and Dominique should have done the same in the primes of their careers. Would have been signs of maturity, amirite.

Nerlens is one of the best defensive big men in the league and what's more important is that he's excellent at perimeter defense in a league that is becoming more and more about having big men who are mobile enough to handle guards in pick and rolls around the 3 point line

he's also a young dude who hasn't hit his prime yet

why would you expect him to get anything less than the max? there aren't exactly a lot of guys in the league right now with his skillset that will be around for 10+ more years

edit: for those that payed attention to the mavs this season their acquisition of noel totally turned that whole team around

dallas had one of the top 5 defenses in the league after acquiring him, he's a game-changer defensively
That and starting Seth Curry.

Champagne

Banned

Yes. That's right. The best option for him was the Warriors. This wasn't just a career decision, it was a life decision. Why is this so hard to understand?

If you actually read my post you'd know that nowhere did I say that. You mean going to a team with the best shooting backcourt of all time, the only unanimous MVP ever, the DPOY (this year's DPOY), and one of the strongest benches in the league was the best career option?! No way.

This is ground breaking analysis.

My post was specifically addressed at the idea, which again, if you go and read through this thread you'll see it brought up post after post, that there were no viable options for Durant outside of the Warriors, with many posters going as far as insinuating that he would be intentionally handicapping his career by choosing anything other than Golden State. As my post detailed, this is blatantly false. The team that he was already on and had played his entire career for up until that point was not only a viable option, with him still around they were absolutely poised to take down the Warriors and Spurs and get him back to the finals.

While this Golden State team with him on it is obviously the better option, in part because of the talent that was already on the roster and because him leaving severely handicapped the Thunder as a western conference contender, sticking with that Thunder team was comparatively speaking, from a basketball standpoint, a very very good option as well.

As for all the speculation and armchair analysis about extracurricular reasons also influencing his decision, I don't pretend to care about Durant's personal life or off the court bullshit anymore than Durant would ever pretend to care about the personal lives of random NBA fans discussing this bullshit over the internet.

How I feel about it as well. If this was any other industry or career move, it would be a no brainer. The reactions to it in sports is super super dumb and does nothing more than bloat discussions with tons of garbage posts.

I don't think you can so directly compare working as a competitive athlete to most other industries. Going to the team that just beat you in the playoffs isn't like just going to a competing accounting firm.

Raysoul

If GSW can handle Kyrie and T. Thompson, then it will be a win for them. I know Lebron is a top-tier player, but Kyrie sparks the Cleveland offense, while Tristan provides a good rebounding ability. Klay also needs to step up and bring back his offensive game.

GSW in 4, but I want at least 5 games.

Champagne

Banned
The sports industry is severely unlike and different than every other career path/industry. Of course the reactions to it are going to be different. The average joe working for some accounting or engineering firm doesn't have millions of global fans reading about his life decisions on the internet every day nor does this person have fans watching him compete on a near nightly basis.

Ric Flair

Banned
I don't respect what Durant did from a competitive standpoint, but I can understand how he probably got tired of the hero ball and disappointing exits from the playoffs year after year.

phanphare

Banned
I don't think you can so directly compare working as a competitive athlete to most other industries. Going to the team that just beat you in the playoffs isn't like just going to a competing accounting firm.

that's why God put non-compete clauses in contracts

/mad men reference

Dragun619

Man, I ain't gonna say Durant's move to GSW a bitch move or whatever, but when KD talked about new challenges with GSW, that always amuses me. Like come on, bruh, you joined 73-9 team with 3 All stars. Challenges? You mean the ride? lol

I also don't buy for a single moment that if GSW won last year, then KD wouldn't have joined. That's straight up BS. Ya'll know KD would still join GSW, even if he denies it. I mean, there's still wouldn't be any better option than GSW.

Markelle Fultz has talked to Danny Ainge 'a few times,' wants to be No. 1

"I've talked to Danny a few times, and they want to get me to come out there for a visit," Fultz told ESPN on Tuesday. "They just want to get a chance to know me better as a person."

"I want to be the No. 1 pick really bad," Fultz added. "It's been a dream of mine since I was a little kid, and I feel like I would fit well in Boston."

It's too bad Ainge is drafting Lauri.

@ESPNSteinLine said:
NBA Draft scuttle: Hearing Detroit is open to discussing trades for its No. 12 overall pick in hopes of acquiring more of a win-now veteran.

If only Melo would waive his NTC to go to Detroit.

Yes and I love when people compare athletes to other industries as if athletes aren't very well compensated for the idiosyncrasies of their line of work. They're paid so well because the product they're selling is entertaining, it's not like they're being paid to play basketball because God put them on the Earth to do that. It's because people watch the games and buy the merch. The post-Decision super teaming is probably not bad for the product, but it's not without merit to discuss if the ridiculous continuing dominance of the Cavs and the Warriors, two franchises most people don't give a flying fuck about, makes the product less desirable. It probably doesn't, but questioning it isn't as stupid as some people here like to make it out to be.

Trey

The reactions are goofy and dramatic but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way. The meta is half the entertainment of live sports. Debating about legacy and self inserting your own sensibilities onto larger than life personalities and talents: there's nothing quite like it in the entertainment busunless.

Why does this shit get reposted all the time? KD said on the Bill Simmons podcast it was about fake rumours that Penny Hardaway was gonna come out of retirement to get a ring with the Heat super team. Also look at the time stamp on it, it's like 2 weeks after LeBron joined the Heat.

I'll try find the timestamp on the podcast for it.

Yes, KG was traded to Boston, but he did have some agency in the decision. He was a threat to leave if he didn't like the situation he was traded to. Because his contract was nearly up, he basically had a near-veto power by either agreeing to or not agreeing to an extension, aka a sign-and-trade. (Also, less important, Minnesota felt a little guilty about doing wrong by him by wasting his prime with terrible roster construction.)

When superstars get traded, sometimes they have some say in where they go.

Yeah but the point is people who latch in KG and Allen in the same conversation as Lebron and Durant when they're not alike. I was hasty in saying "no autonomy", but like your source showed, KG's ability to move was limited to the teams interested in trading for him, as well as the Timberwolves being interested in the package that they were getting from the trading partner. That's not the same as signing a contract with a team during your free agency.

Man, I ain't gonna say Durant's move to GSW a bitch move or whatever, but when KD talked about new challenges with GSW, that always amuses me. Like come on, bruh, you joined 73-9 team with 3 All stars. Challenges? You mean the ride? lol

I also don't buy for a single moment that if GSW won last year, then KD wouldn't have joined. That's straight up BS. Ya'll know KD would still join GSW, even if he denies it. I mean, there's still wouldn't be any better option than GSW.

You don't think there are challenges to joining a great team? Not to say that KD isn't going along for the ride, but I think you're underestimating how difficult it is to adjust to GSW's playstyle when KD was used to being the primary/secondary scoring option in OKC. That means swallowing your ego and pride and realizing that you won't always get touches and shots.

Agreed. This isn't a Facebook database administrator taking a better job offer at Google. Star players become the face of the cities they play in. People identify with them. Players' legacies matter over the course of their careers, etc.

The real issue here though, IMO, is that the league and the PA screwed up. The last CBA + the explosion in the cap made this possible, and it got exploited. There's no way that the winningest team of all time, already loaded with three all-stars and the reigning, two-time MVP should be able to add the previous MVP to their roster as a free agent. If you care about competitive balance in the league at all and happen to not be a GSW fan, there's no way you can support what happened. It shouldn't have been feasible to do it without giving up something more important than Harrison Barnes and a four-pack of athletic socks.

I don't respect what Durant did from a competitive standpoint, but I can understand how he probably got tired of the hero ball and disappointing exits from the playoffs year after year.

Durant was directly responsible for no less than 50% of the hero ball that got played in OKC during his time there.

Agreed. This isn't a Facebook database administrator taking a better job offer at Google. Star players become the face of the cities they play in. People identify with them. Players' legacies matter over the course of their careers, etc.

The real issue here though, IMO, is that the league and the PA screwed up. The last CBA + the explosion in the cap made this possible, and it got exploited. There's no way that the winningest team of all time, already loaded with three all-stars and the reigning, two-time MVP should be able to add the previous MVP to their roster as a free agent. If you care about competitive balance in the league at all and happen to not be a GSW fan, there's no way you can support what happened. It shouldn't have been feasible to do it without giving up something more important than Harrison Barnes and a four-pack of athletic socks.

I'm pretty sure everyone would agree with that. 6-pack of athletic socks at least.

phanphare

Banned
In the 2013 NBA Finals, right before Ray Allen hit what will inevitably go down as one of the greatest shots of all time, hundreds of Heat fans were already filing out of the American Airlines Arena, cementing the widespread notion that Miami had the worst fans in the league. Four years later, as the Cavaliers, Warriors, and their questionably bandwagon supporters reach yet another NBA Finals, the age old question re-emerges, “Which team has the most loyal fans?” It’s about time that we start ranking—as we do with everything else in sports—NBA fans’ dedication to their teams.

To assess fanbase loyalty, I examine how stadium attendance responds to a team’s performance. In theory, a perfectly loyal fanbase’s attendance remains relatively constant from year to year regardless of the team’s performance. More colloquially, fans will stick with their team “through thick and thin.” Conversely, disloyal, “fair-weather” fans will show up to games only when their team is doing well and disappear when their team is underperforming. To quantify this relationship, for each NBA team I calculate the correlation between win percentage and attendance for as far back as the team has remained in its current stadium for every season dating back to the 1991-1992 season.

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2017/05/which-nba-team-has-the-most-loyal-fans/

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If you actually read my post you'd know that nowhere did I say that. You mean going to a team with the best shooting backcourt of all time, the only unanimous MVP ever, the DPOY (this year's DPOY), and one of the strongest benches in the league was the best career option?! No way.

This is ground breaking analysis.

My post was specifically addressed at the idea, which again, if you go and read through this thread you'll see it brought up post after post, that there were no viable options for Durant outside of the Warriors, with many posters going as far as insinuating that he would be intentionally handicapping his career by choosing anything other than Golden State. As my post detailed, this is blatantly false. The team that he was already on and had played his entire career for up until that point was not only a viable option, with him still around they were absolutely poised to take down the Warriors and Spurs and get him back to the finals.

While this Golden State team with him on it is obviously the better option, in part because of the talent that was already on the roster and because him leaving severely handicapped the Thunder as a western conference contender, sticking with that Thunder team was comparatively speaking, from a basketball standpoint, a very very good option as well.

As for all the speculation and armchair analysis about extracurricular reasons also influencing his decision, I don't pretend to care about Durant's personal life or off the court bullshit anymore than Durant would ever pretend to care about the personal lives of random NBA fans discussing this bullshit over the internet.
While I quoted you, I was more following up on the general consensus that KD is a bitch for doing what he feels is best for him.

But again, just because of what my post said doesn't mean I didn't read yours. In fact, I did. And I agree that the OKC team he was on was definitely good, with opportunities to even be great. But that doesn't change what I said, KD felt that GS was the best option for him.

Maybe we have different definitions of what "handicapping" means, but in my opinion, yes, not choosing the best option is handicapping your career. And it's as simple as that. I mean, it looks as though GS is better than every other team in every single way besides how random NBA fans discuss him over the internet. System, money, environment, teammates, coaching staff, ownership, outside opportunities, living situation, the list goes on.

In any other career situation, choosing between multiple job offers is often a list of weighing pros and cons. Usually, making that choice is a personal one. But when one job is clearly better than all of the others in nearly every situation and metric imaginable, not choosing that job can clearly be seen as one handicapping their own career.

A LOT of things had to align in terms of timing, luck, players, situation, and more for KD to be able to sign with this Warriors nucleus when he did, and he took advantage. He didn't want "viable"...he wanted "the best"...and I don't blame him and I feel like it's ridiculous to.
Are you suggesting wanting to continue to compete against teams that JUST ELIMINATED YOU AGAIN instead joining them is a sign of immaturity?

I think most would disagree with you, with their ultimate desire as a competitor being to get better and slay the beasts.

But I mean...I guess Jordan could have bolted Chicago to play SF with Isaiah, Joe, Dennis, Vinny and Bill in Detroit after they eliminated him in consecutive years on the way to 2 chips. Would have been more "mature", right? He might have won an extra ring or two.

Maybe Karl and John should have left Utah for Chicago after the first finals L. Better to have a ring than a legacy. Maybe Charles, Penny and Dominique should have done the same in the primes of their careers. Would have been signs of maturity, amirite.
Not at all, I was responding specifically to the tweet and how it seems out of context because it's a quote from 7 years ago and it's highly probable that his views on the league and life have changed...just like anyone else who goes from being age 22 to 28. Basketball or not.

You seem to equate "leaving" to maturity. I never made that claim. Again, I was talking about the tweet and how his feelings may have changed over time on such matters.

Anyway, who knows what KD's ultimate desire was? From afar, it seems to have been to enjoy playing basketball as much as he could. It seems like he is enjoying basketball more on Golden State than he did with OKC. He even recently said that he 100% made the right decision. That could be him puffing smoke but from the limited amount of FaceTime us fans can see of them, he seems happier more often (of course, winning helps).

hbkdx12

While I quoted you, I was more following up on the general consensus that KD is a bitch for doing what he feels is best for him.

But again, just because of what my post said doesn't mean I didn't read yours. In fact, I did. And I agree that the OKC team he was on was definitely good, with opportunities to even be great. But that doesn't change what I said, KD felt that GS was the best option for him.

Maybe we have different definitions of what "handicapping" means, but in my opinion, yes, not choosing the best option is handicapping your career. And it's as simple as that. I mean, it looks as though GS is better than every other team in every single way besides how random NBA fans discuss him over the internet. System, money, environment, teammates, coaching staff, ownership, outside opportunities, living situation, the list goes on.

In any other career situation, choosing between multiple job offers is often a list of weighing pros and cons. Usually, making that choice is a personal one. But when one job is clearly better than all of the others in nearly every situation and metric imaginable, not choosing that job can clearly be seen as one handicapping their own career.

A LOT of things had to align in terms of timing, luck, players, situation, and more for KD to be able to sign with this Warriors nucleus when he did, and he took advantage. He didn't want "viable"...he wanted "the best"...and I don't blame him and I feel like it's ridiculous to.

It's crazy that such a simple concept of someone doing what's in their best interest gets thrown out the window to push a narrative that he's a bitch for not going somewhere else that's clearly sub optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom