• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

spyder_ur

Westbrook had an incredible season, but both he and Harden are unworthy MVP candidates. These recent MVP years will be remembered as the years we suffered LeBron fatigue, like Jordan in the mid 90s.

Also the show sucked. Then again, NBA has consistently been top of sports news for the 2 (and will be 3+ once FA hits) weeks, so I guess it's working.

Servbot24

Banned
Good for Russell to bring up his teammates and explain without words why he hogged the ball so much and took every shot.

Only chance they had to win any games

Westbrook had an incredible season, but both he and Harden are unworthy MVP candidates. These recent MVP years will be remembered as the years we suffered LeBron fatigue, like Jordan in the mid 90s.

Russ had a way better season than Bron

Also the show sucked. Then again, NBA has consistently been top of sports news for the 2 (and will be 3+ once FA hits) weeks, so I guess it's working.

LeBron still best player in the league and could probably win MVP every year.

KD probably would have been in the running if he didn't miss 20 games.

Aside from that Russ, Harden and Kawhi are all right around the same plane for me. Any of those guys could have won it.

Only chance they had to win any games

Russ had a way better season than Bron

lmao "way better". Don't buy into the meaningless "Triple Double" narrative. Bron basically dropped 27/9/9 (in his 14th season, playing 37 minutes a game, but regardless) on nearly 60% eFG. Bron destroys Russ. And Russ is amazing.

Yeah Bron phoned it in during the regular season. He beasted in the playoffs tho

When 27/9/9 on 60% shooting in 74 games, in your 14th season, is "phoning it in", then you know you're not just the MVP, but probably the GOAT.

jmizzal

Not really true. Just the Narative that was going to win him MVP. I'm glad it worked, but now they can hopefully get back to normal.

What?

This team was projected lottery team after losing Durant and Ibaka, none of those guys are anything but avg role players

Anth0ny

I still consider Lebron, Curry and KD the top 3. They just gave no fucks during the regular season so lol.

These 3 MVP candidates are right up there to round out the top 6.

mjp2417

Banned
What?

This team was projected lottery team after losing Durant and Ibaka, none of those guys are anything but avg role players

No they weren't. Pretty much every pre-season projection had them right around where they ultimately finished as a second tier playoff team.

Umworthy candidates? Naw. Shoulda won over Lebron? Lol nope. Lebron should win almost every year but they aint gon do that.

jmizzal

No they weren't. Pretty much every pre-season projection had them right around where they ultimately finished as a second tier playoff team.

There are the only playoff team in the west with only one player that has or will ever sniff an all star team, every other playoff team has 2, 3 or more. The point is the he said it was just a narrative that Russ didnt have much as teammates and thats just not true.

Line_HTX

Any off-season expectations for your Rockets?

I don't know. I haven't really sat down and thought about it yet. The only thing that's on my mind is while the awards were well deserved, the only thing that matters at this point is to fucking redeem themselves in the next elimination game. Really, all that good will and trust went down the drain so fast it's kind of difficult to slowly get it back until then.

Wait, who are these ppl?...

Not your fake Cleve coasting team and Drake!

*King Tombstones BG

There are the only playoff team in the west with only one player that has or will ever sniff an all star team, every other playoff team has 2, 3 or more. The point is the he said it was just a narrative that Russ didnt have much as teammates and thats just not true.

a lot of that might have to do with Russ' style. It's possible the way he plays is not conducive to a great team system. Chicken/egg thing. But I don't think it's clear cut that Russ is out on an island. Some of that is his own doing.

jdstorm

Banned
Was Oladipo gonna guide them or something

Edit: Thats a bit disingenuous. Thats like asking how would a car run if it had no engine. Westbrook was clearly the engine that drove that team and removing him was catastrophic because no one else could be that engine. However if you replaced Westbrook with Chris Paul or John Wall or Eric Bledsoe or any other PG capable of initiating the offense you wouldn't see that big of a dropoff.

Especially if
you replaced their coach with someone more competant. Perhaps a preschooler.

OKCs starters with Jeremy Grant and Taj Gibson at PF both had a >+10 net rating on the season. There were quite a few other lineups that suggest OKC underperformed last season by a fair amount.

However by far OKCs biggest issue was that they hemoraged points whenever Westbrook went off the floor because their backup PG was bad. Assuming they can find a backup PG who isn't one of the worst players in the NBA, their current team on talent has a pretty high ceiling.

a lot of that might have to do with Russ' style. It's possible the way he plays is not conducive to a great team system. Chicken/egg thing. But I don't think it's clear cut that Russ is out on an island. Some of that is his own doing.
Yet without him on the floor they were quantitatively the worst team in the league.

mjp2417

Banned

No one on Houston outside of Harden is sniffing an All-Star team unless Capela takes a leap at some point. I actually think Westbrook deserved MVP, but the OKC roster, on paper at least, is not nearly as bad as the ex post facto narrative suggested.

FZZ

Banned
Regular season thread needs to be subtitled

"Ball Era Begins Now"

And post season thread if Lakers make it needs to be called

"I Told You So"

Mory Dunz

I still consider Lebron, Curry and KD the top 3. They just gave no fucks during the regular season so lol.

These 3 MVP candidates are right up there to round out the top 6.

I go Lebron, KD, Kawhi, Curry.

but yeah, I don't put Harden and Westbrook above Curry.
Or Kyrie :O

jmizzal

No one on Houston outside of Harden is sniffing an All-Star team unless Capela takes a leap at some point. I actually think Westbrook deserved MVP, but the OKC roster, on paper at least, is not nearly as bad as the ex post facto narrative suggested.

No one on OKC can shoot, Houston roster is loaded with shooters

FZZ

Banned
lmao counting upvotes

Bruh

Dawg it's the number one post on r/all

this is LeBron Finals highlight levels of fuckery

jmon

edit: for real though congrats to Russ

Still think Harden deserved it more

Also Bill Russell is GOAT

Fuck paul pierce tho

BadAss2961

In the grand scheme of things, the MVP is a completely meaningless award.
It's not, but it looks that way when Westbrook's season was over ages ago. Takes all the air out of it.

MVP should be named as quickly as possible after the regular season concludes.

FZZ

Banned
Y'all are foolish if you think I'm just saying reddit upvotes = dynasties

and I didn't even say basketball dynasty

I meant dynasty in the sense of Kardashians

The Ball family name generates more clicks than anything I have seen in sports. Lavar turned their entire family name into commerce and people love following them.

jdstorm

Banned
No one on OKC can shoot, Houston roster is loaded with shooters

OKC had some shooters here are some 3pt% Alex Abrines .381 Jerami Grant .377 Doug McDermott .362 Victor Oladipo .361

Thats not exactly nothing. They also had Anthony Morrow before he forgot how to shoot.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
The only thing that matters is if you have your own shoe and clothing brand.

So how long it takes for Big Baller Brand to become another Starbury......:p

The only thing that matters is if you have your own wine.

Sorry Scooter, had to FTFY....:)
yao-family-wines.jpg

Bread

Banned
Y'all are foolish if you think I'm just saying reddit upvotes = dynasties

and I didn't even say basketball dynasty

I meant dynasty in the sense of Kardashians

The Ball family name generates more clicks than anything I have seen in sports. Lavar turned their entire family name into commerce and people love following them.
They're doing great, you don't need to convince us anymore.

Hydrus

All I gotta say is, Lonzo better deliver cause if not, Lavar ball and the Big ballers will go down as one of the biggest disappointments in NBA history.

FZZ

Banned
Gucci, now I gotta convince people on OT that Harden deserved MVP more than Westbrook

the fight never ends brehs

I don't think I will convince anyone but there is a valid argument for Harden.
And bread I wasn't trying to convince you of anything either D:

Top Bottom