• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Hahaha I'm sure you would. Man, that Ryno contract is brutal.

That Ryno contract was always helped by how every other contract that was around him was good to amazing. Eric Gordon and Ryno were signed at the same time, and so while you want to switch their contracts, when you put them together nothing changes.

Alot of proposed trades had Ryno, a bad contract, paired with Beverley, one of the best contracts in the league. Etc.

As it stands, our Ryno contract is far better than what most teams have for bad contracts, so it doesn't bother me too much. That being said, I seriously hope this move means a serious devotion to varying our offense and adding mid-range shots, just as a threat, because that would mean D'Antoni would let Ryno shoot his great mid-range jumper and also mean that Montrezl Harrell will get minutes at the 4, something we desperately need given his great perimeter defense and our shallow forward rotation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Y'all think a Harden/Chris Paul/Paul George/Capela/Ariza starting lineup could compete with the warriors? Maybe I'm getting too hyped

I don't think Ariza is going to be in that lineup but why couldn't that team compete?

Appreciate Morey being the one GM who isn't afraid to make moves to... make their team better and try to win basketball games.

jmizzal

I cant see Hardan being an MVP candidate next year with Paul they are both ball dominate, it is gonna be interesting to see how they both play together.

Clipper are about to turn back into the Clippers

I don't think Ariza is going to be in that lineup but why couldn't that team compete?

Appreciate Morey being the one GM who isn't afraid to make moves to... make their team better and try to win basketball games.

Ariza plays small ball 4 quite a bit, at least during last season he did.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...te-warriors-potential-dynasty-2017-nba-finals

Rivals a tier below Golden State and Cleveland are contemplating whether chasing the Warriors is even worth it while all four stars are in their primes. Why exchange draft picks and young players for present-day talent if an upgrade still leaves you way short?

"You know where your competition is," said Danny Ainge, the GM of the Boston Celtics, who chose to stand pat at the trade deadline when the Chicago Bulls demanded a king's ransom for Jimmy Butler. "The formula to become an elite team hasn't changed. What you're asking is if Golden State has changed things so that you have no chance."

Most team executives around the league agree there might be some small overall chilling effect on win-now transactions in the wake of Golden State's run. Middling teams without a star could attempt a multi-year process-style bottoming out, though none appear primed to do so. "As a response to the Golden State mega-team, I hear the NBA is considering giving out banners to teams who don't get swept," chuckled Daryl Morey, Houston's GM.

Morey is joking. He has a top-five player in James Harden -- "top-three, we think, for sure," Morey said -- and will not sacrifice a season of Harden's prime in trembling awe of these Warriors. Nor will the Spurs trifle with Kawhi Leonard's best years. They will not trade those players to bottom out, either. The whole point of tanking is to get a chance at players who might be as good as Harden and Leonard.
"They are not unbeatable," Morey said of Golden State. "There have been bigger upsets in sports history. We are going to keep improving our roster."
"We are used to long odds," Morey added. "If Golden State makes the odds longer, we might up our risk profile and get even more aggressive. We have something up our sleeve."

This is a completely Morey move. The man is willing to take risks.

What helps is that Morey didn't have to worry for his job, because he went from having 1 year left on his contract to being extended, so he didn't have to play scared.

Jazz have so many assets.

Maybe they should just rent George and get Hayward to sign that 5 year deal.

Have a hell of an awesome year with Hayward George and Gobert. And if George doesn't want to stick around then alright. We kept Hayward, lost a couple assets, and had fun.

Bread

Banned

Have a hell of an awesome year with Hayward George and Gobert. And if George doesn't want to stick around then alright. We kept Hayward, lost a couple assets, and had fun.
They do? Not sure I agree.

CP3 showed how much he cares about winning by forcing a trade instead of just signing in free agency.

Rockets would have to make a trade to clear cap space in any situation, and this scenario means that his contract doesn't weigh as much on our books for this year while we can still make some moves.

Celtics nightmare scenario:
Hayward stays, Blake goes to Houston, PG won't extend, goes to LA.

Honestly, I'd rather we get Hayward. I do have some worries about this team's attitude with Bev gone, and Hayward would be less injury prone and doesn't have potential issues with Paul.

So I'd change that to:

Hayward goes to Houston, Blake goes to Miami, PG won't extend, goes to LA.

Woj's Vertical Podcast Interview with Jazz GM Dennis Lindsey

That would be an incredibly uncharacteristic move for the Jazz to make. They're a self-conscious small market that takes their time to build up their team, not make overly risky moves, etc.

Rockets would take Gobert for Capela though.

Bread

Banned
Compared to Celtics? No.

Compared to average team? Yes.

They could beat Randle Clarkson 27 and 28 in a second if they wanted.

Of course they won't, because Hyperactivity is right. But they could.
Well, when I think of assets I think of young talent (that you're willing to trade) and future picks. They have good players in Gobert, Hood, and Ingles, but not much else and their draft pick situation is completely average. I think they're in a potential treadmill situation for years to come if Hayward leaves.

Well, when I think of assets I think of young talent (that you're willing to trade) and future picks. They have good players in Gobert, Hood, and Ingles, but not much else and their draft pick situation is completely average. I think they're in a potential treadmill situation for years to come if Hayward leaves.

Ingles is a restricted free agent.

That being said, they'll have Donovan Mitchell for next year, Dante Exum is they can recoup value on him, Derrick Favors, all of their draft picks, etc.

You're probably right, but the Jazz FO is aware of their situation and built last year's team in that manner, just constantly making small good moves that helped build them up. They're not a team to tank, I could see them instead missing the playoffs for 1 or 2 years but making good moves and restocking if they lose Hayward.

Jerry West is truly a Lakers legend.
Dude dismantled the Clippers core and got Clippers leaving Staples.

Clippers leaving Staples was a Ballmer thing, and if anything, Jerry West is gonna build up the Clippers into another good team.

Holy crap at that CP3 trade. Morey finally gets CP3 lol. THANKS STERN

....damnit this depresses me as a Bulls fan

Yes, because he was traded he is eligible for the supermax

That will be next year though

Favors
Exum
Mitchell

Not gonna blow anyone away. But talented and young, I'd call that 'assets' Trey Lyle's was the worst player I've ever seen last year and he got us 9 spots in a good draft. I'm sure Exum and Favors are worth something.

They have OKC's first next year in addition to their own.

Props for Cp3 for not picking the Spurs.

Looks like LMA really hurt that franchise get free agents.

Keep him and keep sucking Spurs do what is right for the goodness of the League

Holy shit, nice move by Houston. Rockets fans deserve this, that team is so awesome to watch and now they have a legit fighting chance. It's a longshot, but it could happen.

If I'm Mark Cuban I'm calling DeAndre right now asking him how my ass tastes.

jbug617

Banned
DDbJEDPV0AAhOK2.jpg:small

Not the worst thing in the world for the Spurs if they retain their core this year. They did win 61 games. I've been saying that San Antonio isn't making a dramatic push until next summer when they are going to have a ton of cap space available.

LionPride

Banned
Weekly reminder Chris Paul and Blake Griffin locked a grown ass man in a room to make him sign with the LACs and they both probably gone

Paul George wants to win though.
Surprised why he isn't considering the Raptors.

Come on Pacers we will give you Carroll for a 1 year rental

Demarre Carroll contract might be worse than Parsons.
Actually I take that back

Not the worst thing in the world for the Spurs if they retain their core this year. They did win 61 games. I've been saying that San Antonio isn't making a dramatic push until next summer when they are going to have a ton of cap space available.

One thing that does suck is that it seems like the Spurs will give Pau more money, just stretched out over more years, at the end of this summer, whereas if they waited they would've had even more cap space in 2018.

Favors
Exum
Mitchell

Not gonna blow anyone away. But talented and young, I'd call that 'assets' Trey Lyle's was the worst player I've ever seen last year and he got us 9 spots in a good draft. I'm sure Exum and Favors are worth something.

They have OKC's first next year in addition to their own.

Favors is an expiring contract so a team would have to be really high on him and willing to give him a huge extension for him to be an asset. Exum has done zilch and is about to hit Summer League after his third season so I'm not sure how high his value is around the league. Utah might also have to keep him depending on what happens with Hill.

Top Bottom