• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playoffs |OT| AKA Derrick Rose's family time

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

lfrPGbq.jpg
8hzxQgB.gif

Can't understand why that would be lol

Now I hate KG on top of his other antics. Really? Tim fkn Duncan.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
KG is the one athlete in all of sports that I have an extreme diskike for. Wish that fucker would hurry up and retire so I don't ever have to think about him again.

Megatron

It's just unbelievable because when he let Vogel go, Larry said he wanted a system where more points would be scored, and he believes that coaches get stale after a few years.

So what does he do? He hires a guy who's Blazer teams were always at the bottom of points scored because of the slowdown system he ran,

AND he hires a guy who's already an assistant coach in the existing system, IE not someone who is going to change a whole lot.

ViciousDS

Banned
He was pretty good in Portland. I mean, not spectacular, but he turned the "Jailblazers" into a solid playoff team, even as their best draft prospects (Roy, Oden) faced career-ending injuries. He's solid.

Brandon Roy...... God..... What a team they would have had. LMA and Roy would have been unreal. That blazers team with the talent they built upon would have been unstoppable. LMA was still developing during that last playoff stint roy was still injured for most of against the mavericks. Guy was crying on the floor...... Roy was just so happy to be playing. Sucks so much for a guy to love the sport that much to have to retire due to injuries.

Megatron

He was pretty good in Portland. I mean, not spectacular, but he turned the "Jailblazers" into a solid playoff team, even as their best draft prospects (Roy, Oden) faced career-ending injuries. He's solid.

I fleshed my feelings out a few posts later. Nate is an ok coach, nothing special, but not terrible either. But the reasons that Bird specified for letting Vogel walk: he wanted a better offense, a faster pace, and a new voice/system. Nate provides none of that. His offensive pace was in the bottom 6 9 of his 10 seasons as a coach. He doesn't provide a new voice or system because he is already an existing assistant coach for the Pacers, not likely to make huge ripples. Nate isn't necessarily a bad hire, for the Kings, I think he would have been great, but for the Pacers, he goes against everything Bird said when he let Vogel leave. Also, Nate was fired 4 years ago and hasn't been able to get another head coaching job, Vogel has people lining up for him. The common perception is Vogel is a better coach than Nate is.

rambis

Banned
The more and more success GS has the less interest he draws.
One could argue he held the team down from reaching potential sooner.

Would you have Mark Jackson or Kenny Smith coach your franchise?
I don't think you could argue this. Younger players just got better really.

Curry for instance is only in his sixth year and basically missed 1 1/2 due to injury. He only made his first allstar game in Jackson's second year, I don't see how he would be holding them back when they weren't near as good as they are now. Green and Thompson are both only 3-4 years in as well.

Heck the first time they really even showed contender potential was that exciting series against the Finals bound Spurs a few years back.

Fjordson

Jackson is a pain in the ass to work I think judging by his time in Golden State. Alienating non-religious players, trying to ban Jerry West from observing practices for mysterious reasons, assistants fired or demoted under mysterious circumstances, assistants taping meetings behind each other's backs, constantly leaving the Bay Area to work at his church in LA. All that combined with his broadcast personality makes him seem like a total dope. Don't think it's a coincidence that the front office and coaching staff in Golden State started humming along once he was gone.

His offense was also incredibly unimaginative compared to what Kerr and Gentry did in their first year. Whether that was due to ignorance or a lack of confidence in the personnel in Golden State to run a higher level system I don't know, but neither looks particularly great given the gigantic leap the offense took in Kerr's first year. Some of that was player improvement for sure, but to go from #12 to tops in the league? I dunno.

There are probably worse candidates out there, but other than a super young team that needs a rah-rah guy with inspirational speeches he comes across as pretty unappealing.

rambis

Banned
Jackson is a pain in the ass to work I think judging by his time in Golden State. Alienating non-religious players, trying to ban Jerry West from observing practices for mysterious reasons, assistants fired or demoted under mysterious circumstances, assistants taping meetings behind each other's backs, constantly leaving the Bay Area to work at his church in LA. All that combined with his broadcast personality makes him seem like a total dope. Don't think it's a coincidence that the front office and coaching staff in Golden State started humming along once he was gone.

His offense was also incredibly unimaginative compared to what Kerr and Gentry did in their first year. Whether that was due to ignorance or a lack of confidence in the personnel in Golden State to run a higher level system I don't know, but neither looks particularly great given the gigantic leap the offense took in Kerr's first year. Some of that was player improvement for sure, but to go from #12 to tops in the league? I dunno.

There are probably worse candidates out there, but other than a super young team that needs a rah-rah guy with inspirational speeches he comes across as pretty unappealing.
You can say this but Curry who is incredibly religious himself appreciated Jackson's approach and has nothing but good to say. I wanna say Jackson said he still prays with Steph before games sometimes. I know on the internet religion is something most rather not talk about or decry but in real life it can positively effect people.

I'm gonna say its a good mix of coaching and player development but mostly the latter. If anything the biggest coaching dynamic I can see is that the players have been given green lights to grow into what they are now. Allowing Steph and Klay the greenlight to push their offense and even allowing Green to develop a perimeter role has paid off in bunches and I think that started with Jackson. He for one called out Stephs and Klays greatness way before most believed it.

ampere

Man, old pre-internet sports rumors have some crazy bits about them

I like KG as a player, but I do hear that he's psychotic and says some whack shit to get in peoples' heads

Fjordson

You can say this but Curry who is incredibly religious himself appreciated Jackson's approach and has nothing but good to say. I wanna say Jackson said he still prays with Steph before games sometimes. I know on the internet religion is something most rather not talk about or decry but in real life it can positively effect people.

I'm gonna say its a good mix of coaching and player development but mostly the latter. If anything the biggest coaching dynamic I can see is that the players have been given green lights to grow into what they are now. Allowing Steph and Klay the greenlight to push their offense and even allowing Green to develop a perimeter role has paid off in bunches and I think that started with Jackson. He for one called out Stephs and Klays greatness way before most believed it.
Curry loved him, as did other players, but it's still a team issue. A guy like Curry probably doesn't connect as personally with Kerr as he does with someone like Mark Jackson, but you also don't have others who think the head coach is a goofy asshole. It's been way more even keel in that respect with Kerr.

Even their choice of assistants is a big plus with Kerr. Jackson never wanted anyone established because he was insecure and didn't want to lose out on too much credit for success. Kerr meanwhile openly defers to others and brings in former head coaches like Alvin Gentry, David Blatt or someone like Ron Adams who's widely considered one of the best assistant coaches in the league. Guys who had success prior to GS and could help Kerr while he learned on the job. It's one of many things that illustrate just how much smarter Kerr is about all this than Jackson.

Not that Jackson is devoid of credit for improving the franchise. He was certainly better than Keith Smart's dumb ass and he unleashed Curry and Klay as a backcourt but overall...no thanks.

Swapzism

The fix is in RapsGaf.

I've been lurking this thread throughout our ridiculously sloppy run, and it's truly amazing how the playoffs can expose teams as what they are. You can tell this team suffered from hero-ball problems throughout the season but I feel it's been magnified to 1000 over the past two series.

The half court offence basically calls for Lowry/DeRozen/Joseph to dribble at the top of the three point line while everybody else idles, no movement, no cuts, and eventually JV (now Bismack) will set a pick/screen.

The worst is how they run this same shit even after time outs. I'm not sure whether to chalk it up to poor x/o coaching by Casey or the defensive schemes of the Pacers/Heat, but it's damn frustrating to watch. The funny thing is, regardless of how nerve racking and irritating it is to watch this team play, I continue to root for team. Just when I thought I'm out, they pull me back in...

The NBA and ESPN (the exclusive broadcasting party of the EFC) are obviously frothing at the mouth of a potential LeBron vs. Wade Conference finals. They want the story. Let's not give it to them.

Then again,
Over/Under on Dwayne Wade FTA - 16.

ViciousDS

Banned
Wade is going to have another crazy clutch 4th and get the heat to the ECF, feels like it is meant to be.

It really does, and I want a heat vs Cleveland ECF. Something tells me a raptors ECF would be a blowout sweep. If Whiteside can come back for the ECF heat vs Cleveland should be really good.

Line_HTX

Did I read that right? The last home team to lose Game 7 was Toronto in 2014??

Come the fuck on, you can't get better odds than this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom