• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Regular Season 2017-18 |OT| KD's chip, IT's hip, LeBron's Sinking Ship

IKizzLE

29 min 3 points and 4 assists off of 1/6 shooting

That’s damn near the worst numbers offensively in the game. As bad as Ingram did he still put up 12 points and 4 assists

Lonzos debut was ass let’s be real

9 rebounds and a couple of blocks. He was active, pushed the ball, tried to get the team involved. He gave a lot of guys good looks to make shots. He wasn't looking to score. He did terrible, but not as terrible as the rest of the team, given their roles and experience. No reason why Lonzo should be out hustling the rest of the team for rebounds. Team looked absolutely lost when he wasn't coordinating the offense.

Compared to the stats other rookies like Fultz and DSJ put up I can't help but feel a bit disappointed.

They have the kind of game that is going to translate over faster. I'm not trying to say Lonzo had a good game, but I'd be more worried if he looked shook or like the game was too big for him. I was sort of surprised at how confident he looked all game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Would have been close to a double double if people made shots. Wasn’t close to being as bad as the stat line suggests.

Not sure why you guys think Lonzo is going to be putting up pts. He was rarely the leading scorer at UCLA and they were the number 1 offense.

https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/921242015014309889
Marc J. Spears said:
Clippers guard Patrick Beverly screamed outside locker room, "Weak ass m****** f******. Bring him out on the court with me and i I will tear his ass up," It's presumed Beverly is talking about Lakers rookie guard Lonzo Ball.

https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/921241827440672768
Arash Markazi said:
Patrick Beverly as he walked into the locker room: "Fucking win. Weak ass motherfuckers. Don't put that mother fucker on me."

I love him so fucking much.

AfraidBarrenAnole-size_restricted.gif

I miss him SOO much

Simmons is a lock for ROTY.

Sixers ain't fucking around this time. They know he can't shoot so they will give him the ball all the time so he can fill the stat sheet with drives and dimes.
His usage rate will be Westbrook-esque.

theWB27

I get it... But is it really that satisfying that someone of Beverly's defensive status gave a rookie in his first game fits? I mean he didn't rattle lonzo and dude's stat line would've looked better if his teammates could throw a Pebble in the ocean.

Like... I've seen LeBron get shitty because kawhi checked back into the game.

But maybe it isn't time to be realistic.

I get it... But is it really that satisfying that someone of Beverly's defensive status gave a rookie in his first game fits? I mean he didn't rattle lonzo and dude's stat line would've looked better if his teammates could throw a Pebble in the ocean.

It was very satisfying.

TTG

That's why he sat out the 4th, cause he wasn't rattled. Luke had to hold him back out of solidarity for LA's other team.

You must have missed the annoying as fuck hype show him and his family and ESPN have been putting on the past 12 months. He'll be decent in the NBA eventually but right now he's just an overrated and over hyped rookie that was exposed tonight. As a non-Laker fan it was cathartic.

RedAssedApe

Banned
You must have missed the annoying as fuck hype show him and his family and ESPN have been putting on the past 12 months. He'll be decent in the NBA eventually but right now he's just an overrated and over hyped rookie that was exposed tonight. As a non-Laker fan it was cathartic.

Nice to know where you stand. Explains things at least lol

theWB27

You sound irrational and I stayed away from it because I know hype doesn't translate to on the court progress. Not to mention it wasn't really lonzo getting y'all in your feelings.

That's why he sat out the 4th, cause he wasn't rattled. Luke had to hold him back out of solidarity for LA's other team.

This is stupid. Game was lost some dude already sat out the preseason with an injury.

Also yeah, it's always satisfying to see Bev do his thing, especially against a top drafted rookie point guard with a ton of hype, given what his path to the NBA was.

https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/921238995152994305
ESPN Stats and Info said:
On the 29 plays that Patrick Beverley guarded Lonzo Ball, Ball went 0-for-2 from the floor and had three assist opportunities.

EDIT: Like I thought, it's not actually personal, Bev will just use anything to get himself fired up:
Kurt Helin said:
Beverley on Lonzo Ball: ”I told him after the game, due to all the rifraff his dad brings he's going to get a lot of people coming at him."

In any case, Ingram should be the far bigger concern for Lakers fans.

VeeP

I'm not even a Laker's fan but wtf lol. Beverly's a great defender but what's the point of acting hard defending a below mediocre Laker's team, and a rookie in his first NBA game. Because his dad talked big and said outlandish things? I mean did anyone on this forum besides FZZ believe a word that came out of his mouth lol.

But yea, THIS just sounds childish lol.

Edit: Maybe I'm missing something. I never took anything his dad said seriously. Maybe NBA players did, and maybe some like Beverly took it personally.

Megatron

When Brook Lopez is your best shooter and everyone else is bricking shots, you are basically just the Nets with more hype and optimism.

And no matter how bad they suck, neither the Nets nor Lakers get their draft pick this year.

Even with his currently bad shot, Lakers should've taken Markelle.

Markell is the only guy they couldn't take. Despite KG and Shaw repeatedly calling Ball the number one pick tonight, he was in fact number two. Fultz was already gone when the Lakers picked,

Tatum is going to win ROY.

Tatum looks good, but man, a lot of rookies look good. Simmons, Fox, DSJ. And we can't completely count out Ball and Fultz figuring things out. Nice to finally have a really strong rookie class after so many bad ones,

FZZ

Banned
Assessment:

Lonzo didn't have a bad game, but he sure as hell did not have a good game either. He looked confident out there and held his own, he gave 4 or 5 on the money passes, 3 of which were easy layups that team mates just missed. I don't wanna count the other ones because those were jump shots and it wasn't a guaranteed basket like the fucking layup Ingram missed (Dlo had the exact same problem for the past two years as well, our team fucking sucks). He needs to go for more shots, he's a lot faster than people give him credit for, and a lot faster than he probably gives himself credit for. Dude paced the court well, just do what you did against Philly in the SL game man, the lane was open just drive it in.

For a first team all defensive player that wanted to go at a rookie PG getting one steal and two defensive fouls is fucking funny. Reading through this thread and reddit is even more cringe, anyone who watched the game can see Beverly wasn't able to lock him down. And the highlight being posted of Lonzo "being welcomed to the league" which conveniently avoids Lonzo pushing Beverly off and Bev flopping has me rolling my eyes. Kid is 19 and blew by him on three plays one of which he crossed him up, and Lonzo doesn't even have solid handles.

Luke's rotations are fucking infuriating why did Kuzma and Lonzo only play a fucking minute together, why the fuck did our starting lineup have no shooters, why the fuck did Deng start, why the fuck did Brewer get so many minutes during important moments during the game? Look at Lonzo at UCLA or Chino Hills, he is so much more effective offensively off ball through cuts, or catch and shoot threes. It's why I wanted to keep Dlo, our back court would have been fucking legit. Instead we have some frankenstein non offense where our most reliable scoring option is Jordan Clarkson.

Ingram...I love him, but this is exactly what I was talking about in the preseason thread when I said he might clash with the offense we want to run (although today I don't even think we ran a proper offense). He gets the ball and just ISOs, the one play that looked really good for him was when he got a head of steam, got the ball off a pass, took a dribble and finished. Ingram is much more effective with set plays being run for him, seeing him constantly ISO like he's fucking Melo out there is so painful to watch. He has all the tools and the skill set but it seems like we are failing him and not utilizing it properly.

Overall, it was an awful game. No way around it. I want to see more effort, better rotations, maintain defense for more than a half, and having actual set offensive plays. Excited for tomorrow, but rather than hyping myself for one player I just want the W which is what I was about for SL, and what I'm gonna be about for the regular season.

Seems lonzo was rattled, definitely looked like it in the game. He was mentally out. May take him a while to shake that. with what Beverly did and already likely being nervous on the first game.

Guess he better get use to it for a while

Marz

^okay yall didnt even watch the fucking game lmao

Are you that Lonzo stan from the off-season thread? You sound just a tad mad. The Lakers got blown out and they all looked pretty bad so people are going to talk shit, that's how sports works. Better get used to it cuz the Lakers are going to get reamed all year.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nah, even if it wasn't Bev, Lonzo definitely seemed pretty passive throughout the night, and him sitting out the 4th quarter was just strange.

Not really. Game was over by then. They have a back to back. Coming off an ankle thing that set him back two weeks. They probably just erring on the side of caution.

Lonzo was 0/2 on the free throw line, and according to Celtics after Markelle first game fans that means you're a bust

That draft wasn't that good it's disappointing

Top Bottom