• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K11 Season 10 Xbox 360 League Thread of Hope and Redemption

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Yao Ming with another stress fracture in his left ankle. Not in same bone, but same ankle. Wondering now if he'll ever return. #hounews
27 minutes ago via web
Retweeted by 69 people

Enjoy your last year of Yao cheese asshole!

CB3 said:
fireworks4.jpg

Fireworks.jpg

kbu88i_th.jpg

11919ub_th.jpg

ecnal

CB3 said:

:lol

just came in to post that for phaze.

and, after catching up on the thread, holy shit @ your vid heylow.

you and phaze should seriously conisder quiting 2K -- it's clearly causing mental trauma. :lol

Smokey

It's all good. If I could win the ship with Emeka Okafor when I had the Bobcats, then I can work with any of the other bigs the Rockets have

:p

but really, shit news for Yao.

Haven't you guys also failed to extend Brooks? I hope somebody swipes his ass next off-season.

Smokey without Brooks or Ming? I wouldn't be surprised if Smokey got his girl pregnant or something and wouldn't be available to play for 9 months!

Smokey

Dark FaZe said:
Haven't you guys also failed to extend Brooks? I hope somebody swipes his ass next off-season.

Smokey without Brooks or Ming? I wouldn't be surprised if Smokey got his girl pregnant or something and wouldn't be available to play for 9 months!

he'll get extended

DCX

DCX
Birdman02 said:
I wish I was at home today, but I'll be at work until about 6 est. I can play 1 game right at 6.

I should be able to play a couple more around 10 tonight, but I'm not sure yet. I'll get back to you a little later today.
I can play one at 10.

DCX

In my player, before the game they cut to a scene where my guy was warming up post moves earlier in the day with an assistant coach...the problem is, I'm wearing a Hawks (my team) jersey and the coach is wearing a Heat jersey. This doesn't stop :lol

DCX

DCX
Bird, i'm free whenever you can go. I know you said ten but if you can free yourself early i'm here.

DCX

ecnal

daw840 said:
So, since ecnal can't play does anyone want to scrim?

hey, i don't have much stuff to review tonight, so i might be able to get a game in.

wont be till like 8 or 9 pm PST though.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
ph33nix said:
he's too busy masturbating to amare stoudemire highlights
Not to get to far OT, but WTF is with everyone patting the Knicks on the back for a loss? Don't get me wrong, I am FULLY AWARE of the depths that they are emerging from, but damn . . . seems like a trap for them to start feeling so good about a close loss.

Only thing stranger is PP declaring, "The Knicks are back . . . " last night after he and the C's got out of MSG with a win.

I'm not hating on the Knicks or Amare --- I think it's GREAT that they are becoming relevant again --- but I can't wrap my head around celebrating a close loss early in the season.

daw840

ecnal said:
hey, i don't have much stuff to review tonight, so i might be able to get a game in.

wont be till like 8 or 9 pm PST though.

There's no way man, saturday is a no go too. I have plans for all day. It's gonna have to be Sunday. No worries though, you will win 4 straight probably....lol.

Maybe tomorrow night though.

CB3

This game has been a lesson in frustration Post patch. GG 2k. I think ill be done with this after the season.

ecnal

CB3 said:
This game has been a lesson in frustration Post patch. GG 2k. I think ill be done with this after the season.

im gonna co-sign this.

patch ruined this fucking game, and it's not only the releases.

Birdman02

GG DCX. I think that block Chandler got on Amare turned the 4th qtr momentum in my favor.

ecnal said:
im gonna co-sign this.

patch ruined this fucking game, and it's not only the releases.

I seem to have the releases down in my last few games. I'm not sure what other issues you guys are having, but I don't see what much else has changed.

DCX

DCX
Birdman02 said:
GG DCX. I think that block Chandler got on Amare turned the 4th qtr momentum in my favor.

I seem to have the releases down in my last few games. I'm not sure what other issues you guys are having, but I don't see what much else has changed.
Yeah, Chandler is fucking Chamberlin. Brandon fucking Heywood is cutting a quicker Gallo off the dribble..ugh. One more? I'm ready for this shit to be over.

DCX

damn dont give up home bruh...

Also I vote that we extend the timeline for the advance a bit so we can allow the Ecnal/Daw series...I'll be damned if everyone doesn't get a fair shake at the playoffs. The fuck outa here.

daw840

Dark FaZe said:
damn dont give up home bruh...

Also I vote that we extend the timeline for the advance a bit so we can allow the Ecnal/Daw series...I'll be damned if everyone doesn't get a fair shake at the playoffs. The fuck outa here.

That would be nice, I would hate to not actually play the full series...assuming I can win 3

ecnal

Birdman02 said:

- "fixed" defensive rotations/defensive AI logic, making it exactly like 2K10's now -- where you can literally dribble to a specific spot on the court and the defense will collapse the same way every time. this same "fix" is also related to the increased defensive 3 seconds (it's always called on PF/C who is sitting in the paint going in to a fucked up "im rotating to help, but not really" loop).

i murdered DCX on the above post patch when i realized 2K had reverted back to 2K10-esque defensive AI. ran an old 2K10 play where even if he defends the iso or pick well, his wing defender(s) will always preemptively collapse -- leaving a ton of corner 3s and baseline drives un-challenged.

this is a massive issue, and i can't believe they brought it back. it basically makes it so you have to run 100 defensive pressure and 0 help-d, otherwise a player can always draw multiple defenders even though the rotation help is not necessary in a lot of situations. and if you adjust to it by dropping your help-d to 0, you're going to get absolutely wrecked on regular plays where defenders need to show or switch on off-ball picks.

- more picked/deflected passes from defenders who aren't even looking at the ball. if you look at the stats from the beginning of the season to now in our league (post patch), almost everyone's turnovers have increased.

- horrible spin dunk fix -- players just go in to contact animations that have an extremely high draw foul rate

- defenders don't body up on ball-handlers as much anymore. you can now just link together iso moves (just like in 2k10) that get you by the defender no matter what.

and i have to mention the releases because they are fucking awful for some players. i never had to practice releases before, i could always just look @ a guy's release and let go of the button/shot-stick based on his animation and where he was peaking on his jump. that is no longer true, some players' releases aren't even synced with their jumpshot animation, which is insanely dumb and unintuitive.

they had a really refined and polished product with vanilla 2K11. all they had to do was make some simple fixes (thanks for the rebounding fix that stopped yao-syndrome) and add in some old features (saved playbooks/coaching sliders online) and this would have easily been the best 2K, ever.

CB3

Matt Barnes is a big example of this. He already had a fairly late release Pre Patch but it made sense with his shooting animation. Now? The "Perfect" release for him is pretty much as his feet are about to touch the ground. Its so awkward feeling and takes so long it made him basically useless. Which is a big hit because i was shooting lights out behind the arc with him pre patch

ecnal

CB3 said:
Matt Barnes is a big example of this. He already had a fairly late release Pre Patch but it made sense with his shooting animation. Now? The "Perfect" release for him is pretty much as his feet are about to touch the ground. Its so awkward feeling and takes so long it made him basically useless. Which is a big hit because i was shooting lights out behind the arc with him pre patch

ya, this is the most common scenario it seems like.

players that previously had long releases (barnes, stuckey, etc) now have even longer releases that are only registered as "perfect" once they descend from the peak of their jump.

it also brings up another complaint noted by hunter; some players' releases are so long now it's easy to contest a shot even if the defender was initially out of position.

stuckey is completely useless from midrange now because even if i create space, the defender will always have enough time to make up the ground and contest before i can release a "perfect" shot.

Nightz

WITNESS2K9 said:
so when does the next season start????
I almost want you to win the next 3 because I don't want this series to end. I've been close to a heart attack every single game. :lol And I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.

Did you get a video of that game?

nba_wall_arenas_576.jpg

"Man these cats are for real...goddam"

I cannot give enough props to FiveRing for such a great series. There was a point in game 4 where I thought....you know what, I don't know what to do anymore. My guys just won't hit any shots, and Rings D is just hitting on all cylinders right now...

I mean no insult to anyone else in this league but if anyone D's me up better than Five did in those last few games then I'll shit a brick. It just aint happenin. He played extremely smart basketball, both of us routinely had under 7 turnovers a game, and in that last game allowed like 2 fast break points total....

I don't know. I'm mentally exhausted after that shit. I can't even fathom that this was how he played during the regular season, because he'd have to be top 4 if he had played at that level during the regular season.

I can't let anyone D me up like that again though. Props to Five for the series. I'm grateful for what will likely be a long wait until my next series...where I have to give props to Pheeniks for stealing home court from CB3.

This offense is going to be scary when the next series comes around. Right now I use like..4 plays...now EVERY guy on this team is getting a custom playbook...including Mike James and Trevor fucking Booker.

Nightz said:
I almost want you to win the next 3 because I don't want this series to end. I've been close to a heart attack every single game. :lol And I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.

Did you get a video of that game?

yeah here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmoSh9J8ORA

for some reason i have a hard time passing to the right player..and sometimes an animation timing will be off..so im doing something i dont want to:lol i had that game won..then i got kept tryna shoot dumb jumpers when i should have got in the paint, but i never knew how much PIP i had... im ready for game 4..im not going out without a fight

Good Shit Faze. B Roy aka B.o.B. (bone on bone) couldn't carry the team on one leg.

You are a fucking beast man. Little old a Lamarcus would make one bucket and you go to the pause menu and shut his shit down with matchup settings, same with anyone else who scored.

Your money play torched me in the 4th qtr, I knew it was coming but you still hit me in the head. (GP voice)

Although I had low turnovers, a good deal of the shots I took might as well have been turnovers. 2k game logic and basketball game logic are two different things and I keep forgetting that.

WITNESS2K9 said:
yeah here is the video:

for some reason i have a hard time passing to the right player..and sometimes an animation timing will be off..so im doing something i dont want to:lol i had that game won..then i got kept tryna shoot dumb jumpers when i should have got in the paint, but i never knew how much PIP i had... im ready for game 4..im not going out without a fight

Now the world can see the comedy I see all the time when you play 2k with this guy. epic.

I will be sure to be extra nice to you next time I see you

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Chars / Jazz ... got your XBL msg from last night and replied. No way I can play league games after TNT double-headers. Those late games don't usually wrap up until 1AM EST.

Hit me on AIM or in this thread. I can take a lunch usually between 1PM and 3PM EST to START and get in a single game, and then I'm usually available to START a game between 9PM EST and Midnight EST on weeknights.

I just don't want to be scheduling games to start at 1AM EST on a weeknight --- that's crazy talk. If I had to play one at that time on a Friday or Saturday where I don't work the next morning, I could probably cope.

smokey bob can have the final 2 wins of our series. i have some type of stomach flu and ive been puking every 30 mins or so. probably brought on by the niners performance last night. sorry bro :(

Nightz

WITNESS2K9 said:
yeah here is the video:

I have the exact same problem when my guys go into stupid layup animations when I'm trying to shoot a jumper. I'm amazed at how Griffin can make any layup no matter what his body position is in, or if he branches off into different animations. It's a guaranteed miss if Okafor is thrown off the original layup animation even the slightest bit.

Anyways, I'm just glad I was able to come back after you started off hitting like 16 of your first 20 shots (no exaggeration there). Thanks again for the vid! Once again I love your commentary. And :lol :lol :lol at the end.

I'm going out tonight so I might not be able to play. The boss might let us out early though, so I'll post if I'm available this afternoon.

As far as post patch is concerned: I'm in agreement that there was very little that I liked about it. The slightly earlier release helped to defend against the ridiculous defensive recovery in the game, the spin dunk fix was a bust, and the high arcing shots to help stop shots from hitting the backboard? Yea...I think it was better off if they just kept it as is and let players have a better understanding of how deep they are into the court during 2k view because those high arcing shots have a 10% success rate even on green releases 5 feet from the basket. They just DON'T go in.

Aside from that I've noticed that the PF jab step and contest jumpshot near the elbows don't go in near as much anymore, which has somewhat nullified that position and the post up game but I'm good with it.

I've gotten used to the new releases, but I've had to alter my game in terms of knowing how much room I have to attempt a shot with certain players.

2k is a weird game in which the offensive players have such an advantage but there are the cheesiest things that support the defense as well. Both on the offensive side of the ball and on the defensive side there are things that make little to no sense. The absolute lack of bodying up on the ball handler is something that has made iso situations a nightmare for me and many others I'm sure, especially against guys like Kevin Martin, Brooks, Melo, Kobe and etc where there are so many things you can do to create space and have 2k game logic come to the idea that you are basically wide open despite the fact that a defender is basically right next to you. Defensive recovery speeds are ridiculous when up in the air and blocking shots however.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer is to this. I think the best thing on defense might be an "intense" defensive button, maybe with some combination of button presses that heavily exhausts turbo for a short period of time but allows the player to completely get into the chest of a player, raise a hand up, etc, which would be great to use in those times where you absolutely no a player is going to shoot but you're forced to either guess for the shot block and risk whiffing or allow Brooks to shoot a shot he shouldn't make right in your face.

I'd also like steals to be a little more skill based...timing the steal button at the sweet spot of the opponents hesitation move should result in a loose ball. Maybe a system where just tapping x gives you a low percentage chance to steal the ball but gives you more time to recover, while holding it or slapping it down does more of a reaching thing which greatly increases steal success but leaves you open to be completely burnt by the offensive player.

WITNESS2K9 said:
yeah here is the video:

If you have more than 7 turnovers in a close game then nothing else really matters. This is another game where you knew you were facing a guy that had beat you by literally a single point...and you didn't value the basketball. You're too loose with the ball. I hope you turn it around though because that shot Chris Paul hit made me cringe. I understand the fact that some superstars are going to hit that shot, but the success rate of some guys in those situations is beyond sickening. I think only a select few players in this league should have a chance at making those shots with any type of consistency....Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Wade, James, Arenas, Paul Pierce....the points like Paul and D.Will are great at NOT being in those positions due to their ball handling but in the rare circumstance where they are completely bodied up they shouldn't ever make that shot.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
smokey bob can have the final 2 wins of our series. i have some type of stomach flu and ive been puking every 30 mins or so. probably brought on by the niners performance last night. sorry bro :(

I don't think this should be necessary.

Unless things get completely out of hand where guys can't finish a series 2 weeks after everyone else has finished I feel as if we should be extremely lenient when it comes to the advancement of the playoffs. I think at this point we really don't know when Season 2 is going to start, and if there is a season 2 I think the amount of available players for such a contest is in question. I'm for bringing guys outside of GAF in for 2k12 so we can have a full league with guys more devoted, but that's probably a topic for next years product.

At any rate, my point is that the quality of these playoffs should be the most important thing right now considering we don't know what the future holds. Letting guys just get bye weeks is the last thing I want to see, especially with how strong these first rounds have been.

Mrbob

FrenchMovieTheme said:

See how you are feeling in a day or two before throwing in the towel. I'd rather beat you on the court anyway. :D

Smokey

FrenchMovieTheme said:

bob scarin' you that much?:D See how you feel in a few days...it's the PLAYOFFS MAN!!

On advancement I didn't say when we'd advance since I assume that everyone in the playoffs will play their games in a timely matter so that we can move onto the next round. I don't want to be stuck in round 1 though for 2 weeks or something like that, but I'd still like to get these series completed in a timely manner.

ecnal

Dark FaZe said:
2k is a weird game in which the offensive players have such an advantage but there are the cheesiest things that support the defense as well. Both on the offensive side of the ball and on the defensive side there are things that make little to no sense. The absolute lack of bodying up on the ball handler is something that has made iso situations a nightmare for me and many others I'm sure, especially against guys like Kevin Martin, Brooks, Melo, Kobe and etc where there are so many things you can do to create space and have 2k game logic come to the idea that you are basically wide open despite the fact that a defender is basically right next to you. Defensive recovery speeds are ridiculous when up in the air and blocking shots however.

I'm not exactly sure what the answer is to this. I think the best thing on defense might be an "intense" defensive button, maybe with some combination of button presses that heavily exhausts turbo for a short period of time but allows the player to completely get into the chest of a player, raise a hand up, etc, which would be great to use in those times where you absolutely no a player is going to shoot but you're forced to either guess for the shot block and risk whiffing or allow Brooks to shoot a shot he shouldn't make right in your face.

I'd also like steals to be a little more skill based...timing the steal button at the sweet spot of the opponents hesitation move should result in a loose ball. Maybe a system where just tapping x gives you a low percentage chance to steal the ball but gives you more time to recover, while holding it or slapping it down does more of a reaching thing which greatly increases steal success but leaves you open to be completely burnt by the offensive player.

iso situations are impossible to stop if the ball handler has an 85+ handle and/or 85+ speed. the 85+ handle unlocks the top tier iso animation packages (superstars have their own sig animations which do the same thing) that put defenders into the same shitty irrecoverable animations that have been here since 2K9. 85+ speed will put the ball handler into that "im slidding right past you" animation if the defender tries to body him up.

it's straight up bad as fuck. if you watch heylow's first vid, baron does the "slidding past cp3" animation even though cp3 has him bodied up perfectly (here at 2:13). it makes it even worse because cp3 has high on ball defense ratings as well -- meaning it doesn't matter what kind of defender you put on these sort of players, they're going to drive by you regardless.

the whole shots getting railed in defenders' faces is still bad. high offensive awareness, high shooting stats, and high offensive clutch will always beat out the best defense. everyone has seen the stupid "i just had a perfect contest on X superstar and the ball went right through my defender's hand and went in."

the whole superstar player shit is fundamentally broken in this game. ya, these players should have an advantage 9/10 times versus a defender. however, it's way too easy to just use the same money moves that these players are capable of completing at a very high percentage. there are people in this league that do the same 1 or 2 things with thier best players over and over, knowing that, regardless of what the defense does, they're going to get an extremely high percentage shot.

and this is not to discredit superstar use. for example, i think CB uses kobe really effectively even though he takes the vast majority of his shots with him. the difference being CB uses a plethora of moves, situations, and plays to get kobe going. that's fundamentally different from people who run the same play or use the same situation over and over to abuse the opposing player. i just don't understand what anyone is trying to prove when they iso a superstar (or player with high categorical ratings) 20+ times a game. i get it. i understand that X player is a beast, but using the same money moves/situations repeatedly throughout a game is dumb as fuck, and it's still easily the worst and most easily exploitable aspect of league play.

it's the same reason why people overwhelmingly use the hesitation dribble with good ball handlers, it's why people zig-zag with fast players, and it's why people have a couple money plays that they go to when they need a bucket because there's absolutely no way in hell you're going to stop them.

this has been 2K for years, and there's really nothing to do about it except, as a collective group, take the initiative to stop doing lame ass shit. it wont happen though because people take this shit way too seriously and there are too many chumps (see hunter).

also, there is an intense defense modifier (LT) that drains stamina. you use it with the right stick, but it seems like it doesn't work correctly or it just sucks.

EDIT:

i also want to clarify something; this isn't a shot at specific people (well, the jab towards hunter stands), but, rather, a shot at the entire league -- myself included. i know i changed my playbook once i started seeing how incredibly successful certain plays are, and i tend to "return the favor" whenever an opponent does something that i consider to be lame.

we're all guilty, and, for people who may not realize this, i'll keep it real: you wonder why the best players in this league are significantly better than the rest? look at our VIP profiles and you'll see a striking similarity offensively. it's not a coincidence.

Top Bottom