• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K12 |OT| Lebron 4th Quarter Lockout Edition

joelseph

Thank you very much to everyone that helped me out with suggestions. I am already starting to see improvements in my game, still got miles to go though. Thanks again, this seems like a really cool community.

mbmonk

mbmonk

I decided to try out online for the PC version. I was surprised that A) worked at all and B) did not have as high a percentage of cheeser's as the console version (It's still a small sample size so this could be way off).

Finding a game does in fact take awhile. Luckily Steam supports a limited web browser that allows you to go to most of your favorite sites while waiting for a game.

I must admit I played against the Timberwolves quite a few times, more than any other team. I assume because they are a good 3 point shooting team. But it was nice to play against a team other than the Miami Heat who it seemed like everyone selected on PS3.

I had a great game against a guy playing the Lakers. I was using the Wizards and he was up one point, with the ball, 30 seconds left in the game, and he is at 15 seconds on the shot clock. I send a double team to force the ball out of Kobe's hands and Kobe finds the unguarded Laker and shoots a three just before my defensive rotation gets there. He bangs it home and goes up 4 points and goes on to wins the game. I had a blast despite losing.

EDIT: I love beating people with the Wizards :)

Fjordson

^Damn, sounds pretty good. From what I've seen with friends of 360 online, it's nothing but the god damned Heat/Clippers with lots of cheesing. Easy decision for me to avoid it altogether.

I just lost to the Blazers in My Player (Mavericks). We're still first in the west at 22-6, but fuck they're tough. They somehow ended up with Steve Nash through trades and he and LaMarcus Aldridge make for a nasty combo. Insane pick & roll. And Gerald Wallace had 28 points and 12 boards.

I'm hoping you can eventually suggest trades to your team's front office like in 2K11. The CPU traded away Jason Terry for some inexplicable reason at the beginning of my first season so the 2 guard spot belongs exclusively to Cory Brewer and DeShawn Stevenson lol. We desperately need a third scorer after me and Dirk.

Wrayfield

They somehow ended up with Steve Nash through trades and he and LaMarcus Aldridge make for a nasty combo.

Nash seems to be trade in the first season of every My Player game I played (2k11 and 2k12).

Still only one irrelevant trade in my second season in 2k12 :(

Solo Act

Good mention of the shot feedback. Definitely turn that on.

Too bad it doesn't work online like it did in 2k11.

The rule of thumb for all jump shots and free throws is if your shot missed long, you've let go of the button (or shot stick) too early. If you miss short, you've held it too long.

You probably won't need the shot feedback text once you learn to watch how shots are missing.

Smokey

Don't forget players have hot spots on the floor. Learning them for your favorite teams top rotation can get you out of shooting slumps when it seems like the AI is turning it up on defense. The controller rumbles slightly when you are in a hotzone.
Wait..hotspots on the floor? Hmm I never knew about this...are these pre determined spots?

Hey, I bought 2K11 since it had the Ewing Knicks in it. Since 2k12 also does is there any reason to hang on to 2k11? I can't shoot for shit in this game.

mbmonk

The rule of thumb for all jump shots and free throws is if your shot missed long, you've let go of the button (or shot stick) too early. If you miss short, you've held it too long.

You probably won't need the shot feedback text once you learn to watch how shots are missing.

This is interesting point.

EDIT: If you are new to the game I think turning on shot feedback is the way to go. Since it gives you accurate feedback 100% of the time. I will miss 3 pointers w/ good shooters despite doing everything correct on the shot stick, and that might give me false feedback about how I used the shot stick. I think the method you mentioned is a very good one, especially for online.

Smokey

Your continued efforts to attempt to beat me are futile.

This explains kobe making everthing from certain spots. You have been exposed. Also explains why you been ducking me!

Since I have get back in 2k shape you haven't played me. Typical cb

This explains kobe making everthing from certain spots. You have been exposed. Also explains why you been ducking me!

Since I have get back in 2k shape you haven't played me. Typical cb

in the same way that you have been ducking me the last two nights?

we have these games to do and we're meeting next week in madden. might as well call it the pheeniks vs smokey marathon this week

i was going out for the night sir. enjoying my friday.

however you are free to get dat ass tapped today

ill rape you in the butthole when i come home at 4 CT

btw, we are forming a 360 league for whoever the hell still reads this thread...

first, i may need to wax dat ass in madden

Smokey

2-2

pheeniks would be nothing without his sterioid sabertooth jaw lookin humpback man child leroid james

thats all right game 5 da pivotal i got something for that

Solo Act

I decided to try out online for the PC version. I was surprised that A) worked at all

This hasn't been my experience at all. Every online game I have played sits at about 8FPS and the game defaults to the lowest possible settings. Heck, it's even choppy at the team select screen. I would love to have a candid conversation with someone at 2k about how much time and effort they put into developing the PC version of this game.

On the one hand it's far and away the superior version with 2560 resolutions and mods to make everything even better and more realistic. On the other hand, there are no custom soundtracks, no stadium sounds, online may as well not be included, and the PC version has yet to receive a patch.

I didn't mean for this to be a complaint post. I just feel like I'm really good at the game and would love to try it out online but really can't in spite of having download speeds of over 30Mb/s. Are there any tips to getting the PC version running better online? I can't imagine there are but it can't hurt to ask.

mbmonk

This hasn't been my experience at all. Every online game I have played sits at about 8FPS and the game defaults to the lowest possible settings. Heck, it's even choppy at the team select screen. I would love to have a candid conversation with someone at 2k about how much time and effort they put into developing the PC version of this game.

On the one hand it's far and away the superior version with 2560 resolutions and mods to make everything even better and more realistic. On the other hand, there are no custom soundtracks, no stadium sounds, online may as well not be included, and the PC version has yet to receive a patch.

I didn't mean for this to be a complaint post. I just feel like I'm really good at the game and would love to try it out online but really can't in spite of having download speeds of over 30Mb/s. Are there any tips to getting the PC version running better online? I can't imagine there are but it can't hurt to ask.

Interesting and fair points.

Have you run the video bench mark test? Supposedly it will default to the lowest graphical settings if you haven't proved that your computer can handle that resolution by running the test. I don't know that it's true, but I remember hearing something to that affect.

In terms of the stuttering lag at the online team selection screen, I just quit out of those games immediately. If the team selection screen runs smoothly 90% of the time the game against that person will run smoothly as well.

Of course the online servers where completely down this weekend so it might not matter. I might have just gotten lucky on the timing.

Solo Act

Have you run the video bench mark test? Supposedly it will default to the lowest graphical settings if you haven't proved that your computer can handle that resolution by running the test. I don't know that it's true, but I remember hearing something to that affect.

I've run the bench mark, maybe I've just been unlucky with my match-ups. I've never been into the team select screen without it being laggy, so maybe I will try tonight and keep backing out until I get to a smooth initial experience.

Thanks for the help, that really might be a big thing that I can do. I just assumed the choppiness was there all of the time.

mbmonk

I've run the bench mark, maybe I've just been unlucky with my match-ups. I've never been into the team select screen without it being laggy, so maybe I will try tonight and keep backing out until I get to a smooth initial experience.

Thanks for the help, that really might be a big thing that I can do. I just assumed the choppiness was there all of the time.

I tend to look for stuttering in the player animations on the team select screen. If the player is jittering/stuttering about I back out. Sometimes cycling through the teams will lag a bit, but if the above player animations are running fine, to me, that suggest the connection is fine.

You are welcome. 2K doesn't make it easy for online PC'ers :)

benjipwns

Banned
The benchmark doesn't work, it will always default to low settings no matter what. Having passed it should improve the frame rate though.

The stuttering, lagging and crashing is normal.

dreamfall

I don't what is going on, but there's some really strange freezing issues on the PS3. I can't seem to load the game without it crashing at the Settings/Roster start up.

2k Forums definitely have issued some sort of thread on it: https://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318143

But no luck yet- this needs a patch. People are deleting game data to start the game, and losing their unlockable shoes. I can't get past the main menu...

EDIT: Deleting Game Data file seems to be quick fix, shoes will be retained. Still strange.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I don't what is going on, but there's some really strange freezing issues on the PS3. I can't seem to load the game without it crashing at the Settings/Roster start up.

2k Forums definitely have issued some sort of thread on it: https://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318143

But no luck yet- this needs a patch. People are deleting game data to start the game, and losing their unlockable shoes. I can't get past the main menu...

EDIT: Deleting Game Data file seems to be quick fix, shoes will be retained. Still strange.

If you expect a patch for this game be prepared to be let down.

Days away from being released or days away from his claiming they've sent it to digital distribution where it will be stuck in a mysterious approval process for a month?

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
He tweeted a couple weeks ago that it was in QA, so the latter probably.

This is the same motherfucker that was posting threads on the 2k boards about promoting your online leagues. When online leagues were 100% broken. I wouldnt trust a fucking thing that guy says

mbmonk

This is the same motherfucker that was posting threads on the 2k boards about promoting your online leagues. When online leagues were 100% broken. I wouldnt trust a fucking thing that guy says

Wow. How sad is that?

I will be glad if NBA Elite actually ships in this year as rumored. Even if it's a crappy game at least there will be some competition.

I can't speak for EA's NBA games, but my experience with Madden & NCAA football is EA's online is fairly stable. And normally they deliver on the basic functionality they advertise.

I am not a fan of EA, but the way 2K handles PR is atrocious sometimes.

i wish you could sim games in my player. takes fucking forever to reach free agency and even then you can't really choose your team

Sorry if this is apparent, but I didn't see it:

I'd like to play a season cooperatively with my friend (online, not same console) on the same team against CPU controlled teams. Is this possible?

Wrayfield

i wish you could sim games in my player. takes fucking forever to reach free agency and even then you can't really choose your team

Yeah, my second season is dragging like hell and the 6ers won't gimme an extension. Has anyone hit FA? Do you negotiate with all interested teams at the same time or one after the other? What happens if you refuse all offers?

Edit: You can skip to the next crucial game (rivalry, very good opponent at your position), but I hate it. Not only does it screw with my stats, the skill points are ridiculous.

Yeah, my second season is dragging like hell and the 6ers won't gimme an extension. Has anyone hit FA? Do you negotiate with all interested teams at the same time or one after the other? What happens if you refuse all offers?

Edit: You can skip to the next crucial game (rivalry, very good opponent at your position), but I hate it. Not only does it screw with my stats, the skill points are ridiculous.

If you hit FA what happens if you press LT/RT to toggle between teams that you're allowed to sign with. I don't know how they pick the teams but there seems to be always the same set, and if you quit/leave sometimes teams get added/change. But let's say a team offers X years for Y dollars, you can negotiate more years and dollars in with that particular team. If you don't like it I think I remember you can try other teams. And....that's it.

Wrayfield

If you hit FA what happens if you press LT/RT to toggle between teams that you're allowed to sign with. I don't know how they pick the teams but there seems to be always the same set, and if you quit/leave sometimes teams get added/change. But let's say a team offers X years for Y dollars, you can negotiate more years and dollars in with that particular team. If you don't like it I think I remember you can try other teams. And....that's it.

Towards the end of season 2 now, then playoffs then FA. Dunno, have the feeling that once into the 3rd season, I will lose interest. Might finally catch up on the other modes.

Towards the end of season 2 now, then playoffs then FA. Dunno, have the feeling that once into the 3rd season, I will lose interest. Might finally catch up on the other modes.

Yeah I hate how you have to wait 3 years. No matter how bad you do your option seems to get always picked up.

I really hate how by year 2/3 if you're a starter, pretty much every game is a fucking key game in some fashion.

Wrayfield

Yeah I hate how you have to wait 3 years. No matter how bad you do your option seems to get always picked up.

I really hate how by year 2/3 if you're a starter, pretty much every game is a fucking key game in some fashion.

Oh, shit, there is an option for year 3? It doesn't show on the contract screen... But I remember some news item. Dammit...

Wrayfield

What position are you playing? I play SF so it's only against some rivals, and a few teams with good SFs. I'd say 20% of the games tops.

yup. I too, was surprised and pissed

I will demand a trade then, even if that doesn't mean a new deal.

Top Bottom