• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K12 |OT| Lebron 4th Quarter Lockout Edition

DMczaf

ibbU7NjNNAY6ZX.gif

Meier

Bought the PC download edition since it was only $9.99. I have 11 on the 360 that I was planning on playing more.. oh well. Anyway, I just created a player and my last name apparently "inappropriate" content in it so I can't share my player. Lol.

Meier

I started a My Player and ended up getting drafted as a backup PG for the Suns at 13. In the interview process I said I was cool sitting and learning for a few years but they ended up trading Steve Nash and Marcin Gortat for James Posey and Paul George... there aren't lulz epic enough.

It's a great buy if you're only interested in offline play.

Cool, I wasn't sure if this was like other PC sports games in the past where it was a bastard child of console version like Madden was before they finally killed it off completely.

ive been thinking about getting it too. wish it was steam active from the amazon sale :(

maybe they will have it on the steam winter sale. couldn't hurt to wait and see since the amazon sale rules through 12/25!

Wait, it's on sale until the 25th? Where does it say that?

The M.O.B

Cool, I wasn't sure if this was like other PC sports games in the past where it was a bastard child of console version like Madden was before they finally killed it off completely.

It sort of is, the console versions have gotten 3 patches now and the PC version hasn't gotten a single one. PC version doesn't even have the updated rosters.

Wait, it's on sale until the 25th? Where does it say that?

i thought i remember seeing it on cheapassgamer. the guy from amazon posted about the deal and said its running until christmas (maybe only until the 24th actually since the season kicks off on the 25th)

It sort of is, the console versions have gotten 3 patches now and the PC version hasn't gotten a single one. PC version doesn't even have the updated rosters.

:( Didn't the community update the rosters in previous years or not really?

i thought i remember seeing it on cheapassgamer. the guy from amazon posted about the deal and said its running until christmas (maybe only until the 24th actually since the season kicks off on the 25th)

Cool, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Nabs

Damn, I had no idea they took it that far. 2k11 didn't have that problem.

I got this game a week before release and played amazingly well. Release date came they started updating the game via patches and its a complete mess.

Morphs more than ever

no fatigue

the cpu doesn't dbl team mismatches in the paint

Speed rating means nothing John Wall can not out run Greg Olden on fast breaks

CPU Spams with attacking the basket and pump faking like crazy.

I can go on and on but visual concepts is one of my fav sports dev but they are falling off the cliff right now. My heart hurts.

PC version has the rosters. Load the game, delete the roster, quit, reload the game. Boom. I played a few games yesterday after doing some Googling to figure out why my rosters weren't working.

That said, we need a patch or something to fix things like Jimmer/Jan Vessely/Enes Kanter having black arms and legs.

benjipwns

Banned
PC version has the rosters. Load the game, delete the roster, quit, reload the game. Boom. I played a few games yesterday after doing some Googling to figure out why my rosters weren't working.
You can also do options->reset roster a couple times and it'll reset to default, then reset to updated rosters.
That said, we need a patch or something to fix things like Jimmer/Jan Vessely/Enes Kanter having black arms and legs.
Already available: http://forums.nba-live.com/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=2219

legend166

Came in here looking for some PC impressions, so it's good to see people talking about it.

Would the PC version be worth $15 (or hopefully lower if it's a daily)?

I can't get it on Amazon because I'm in Australia.

mbmonk

Came in here looking for some PC impressions, so it's good to see people talking about it.

I paid $20 and I was happy with that. Only buy the PC version for offline play. Supposedly PC online is janky/broken. Also the PC version typically doesn't get patched as often as the console version, it normally gets one patch at the end that includes all the updates ( at least that is what I have read ).

PC for: Single player + Mods + high res

Console for: online + more frequent patches

I played with a 360 pad, so I don't know how the keyboard controls are. I hope that helps.

etiolate

Banned
I started a My Player and ended up getting drafted as a backup PG for the Suns at 13. In the interview process I said I was cool sitting and learning for a few years but they ended up trading Steve Nash and Marcin Gortat for James Posey and Paul George... there aren't lulz epic enough.

I was a PG that got drafted by the Suns to backup Steve, too. They've kept Nash though.

It's crazy hard getting points as a pass first PG. If the Suns brick their threes, I get no assists.

Smokey

Now that the lockout is over I've been playing this a lot more online and off. If you think about there really is a lot of content on the disc. Between Association, My Player, Legends there's a lot of crap to play around with.

Going to create an Online Association sometime soon to see how that is. Around launch it was supposedly terrible, so I'm wondering if they have fixed anything after 1-2 patches. Online play is a crapshoot. It's either Clippers or the damn Heat and Lebron all the time.

I play with an Xbox 360 Wireless controller, works like a charm. Looks better on my 27" iMac than it would on my middle-of-the-road HDTV. I don't play online though (haven't tried even once, to be honest, so don't even know if it sucks like everyone keeps saying).

Fjordson

Now that the lockout is over I've been playing this a lot more online and off. If you think about there really is a lot of content on the disc. Between Association, My Player, Legends there's a lot of crap to play around with.

Going to create an Online Association sometime soon to see how that is. Around launch it was supposedly terrible, so I'm wondering if they have fixed anything after 1-2 patches. Online play is a crapshoot. It's either Clippers or the damn Heat and Lebron all the time.
Definitely. Had it since near release and I'm still playing it plenty. Totally addicted to My Player.

Blablurn

fuck it, played three games with my buddy yesterday. he used chicago, i picked my beloved miami heat. in every match i dominated the first three quarters. but lost every game in the fourth. this game is so realistic :(

anddo0

Was tempted to give this game another try with the pc version. But it sounds like the pc support is pretty terrible.. No patches or roster updates? $10 is a good price, but the lack of support irks me.

I'm guessing I'll have to utilize sites like NLSC for roster updates?

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Was tempted to give this game another try with the pc version. But it sounds like the pc support is pretty terrible.. No patches or roster updates? $10 is a good price, but the lack of support irks me.

I'm guessing I'll have to utilize sites like NLSC for roster updates?

they utilize the same roster updates as the consoles, and it attempts to refresh with 2K servers at least once a day. patches, on the other hand... :(

Darkgran

For some reason I'm having trouble updating the rosters on the 360 version. I received the prompt to update but after I do the rosters are not updated. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Wrayfield

ive been thinking about getting it too. wish it was steam active from the amazon sale :(

maybe they will have it on the steam winter sale. couldn't hurt to wait and see since the amazon sale rules through 12/25!

It's on sale now, not daily special, but a few bob cheaper. Until Jan 2nd, but I'd wait to see if it's not part of a daily deal before that.

pilonv1

For some reason I'm having trouble updating the rosters on the 360 version. I received the prompt to update but after I do the rosters are not updated. Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Use "reset roster" from the menu. I had the same issue.

Going to give this another try now the season has started. I'm such a battered wife :(

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Jump on the train bros!

Kind of want to get it on PC too to try out the mods...

It looks and runs much smoother than the console versions, but at the cost of waiting months for patches.

I resolved the roster issue by resetting them, then saving it with the updated trades and rookies.

Kryptonic

Sorry if this has been posted before but my framerate drops drastically when I try to play a game online recently. Last week or so it was fine. I can play the single player modes just fine with maxed out graphics. This a known issue? There a fix for this? Saw some video on youtube about changing the processor affinity for nba2k12.exe to only use two cores to fix this problem but that didn't help for me.

I have an i7 2600k, 16gb ram, gtx580 classified.

Which slider is best to adjust to stop on ball speed slow down that seemingly allows Cs to catch up with LeBron James on a fastbreak?

Fjordson

Which slider is best to adjust to stop on ball speed slow down that seemingly allows Cs to catch up with LeBron James on a fastbreak?
Yeah, I'd love to tweak this. Seen a ton of people mentioning it as a big issue on other sites and YouTube. Speed and quickness as stats seem mostly useless. In My Player, my dude is up to 96 speed and quickness and is literally unable to penetrate on bigs (players like Greg Oden and Zydrunas Ilgauskas have been able to completely shut down any dribble penetration) and the speed bursts defenders get on the break are really irritating.

Speed rant aside, I'm pretty addicted to My Player. In the playoffs atm with the Mavericks, played all 82 games of the season.

joelseph

Bought the game this weekend on sale, this is my first sports game! I have gone through training camp and am looking to improve my game beyond the easy settings. Any advice on what to concentrate on? I am having a hard time driving to the hoop consistently.

Smokey

Bought the game this weekend on sale, this is my first sports game! I have gone through training camp and am looking to improve my game beyond the easy settings. Any advice on what to concentrate on? I am having a hard time driving to the hoop consistently.
You picked a tough game for your first sports title!

2k is not noob friendly. You've done the training camp and ny advice is to do it again. The ISOmotion moves are key to creating space for jumpers and gettting open. Spend a lot of time in practice mode learning the release points on jumpshots. Also, call plays. They really do help players get open for scoring opportunities.

This stuff may seem complicated at first especially if you've never played 2k before but stick with it.

mbmonk

Smokey really has given some great advice. I made a similar post on the Steam forums for another user that was new to the game. I am just going to include it here because it covers a lot of the same topics.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Pick a couple of core shots and work on those exclusively. I will make a suggestion to you about what some core shots are but you should come up with your own. Post Moves: Hook shot, and drop step layup. Facing the basket: you need to practice doing the standard jumper, and either a fade away or step back jumper. Just focus on those core shots. After you get a feel for them you can branch out.

2) Turn on Shot Feedback. Under the "Presentation" menu you can turn on feedback about your release point ( use the right stick if you have a controller ) and also there is feedback about the quality of shot you are taking ( good vs bad ). That will start to help you understand why you are missing.

3) Pick one team and go into practice mode and work on the release point. Each player could have a slightly different release point so you need to know how to shoot with each of them. Also pay attention each players hot & cold zones. You don't want to shoot with the player in the blue areas. You want to use players in the areas they are effective.

4) Learn and run plays. It's an easy way to get quality shots for your stars.

I understand it's a lot to take in, but just focus on one or two core elements at a time and it will all start to click.

Smokey

Good mention of the shot feedback. Definitely turn that on.

Too bad it doesn't work online like it did in 2k11.

jwhit28

Don't forget players have hot spots on the floor. Learning them for your favorite teams top rotation can get you out of shooting slumps when it seems like the AI is turning it up on defense. The controller rumbles slightly when you are in a hotzone.

Fjordson

do u guys play it online?
I really haven't touched online since the day I got this. Think I'm in the minority, but with the 2K series I'm pretty much always in My Player mode. Still loving it. In my second season with the Mavs right now starting at PG.

Wrayfield

I really haven't touched online since the day I got this. Think I'm in the minority, but with the 2K series I'm pretty much always in My Player mode. Still loving it. In my second season with the Mavs right now starting at PG.

Do you also find that in your second season overall activity, trades and such, decreases a lot? Was just wondering if it was just my simulated season (started before lockout ended).

Fjordson

Well do you mean CPU trades? If so, then yes. My first season there were some pretty dumb ones all over the league that made no sense, but it's mostly balanced out now and I haven't seen any bizarre ones this second season.

jwhit28

Do you also find that in your second season overall activity, trades and such, decreases a lot? Was just wondering if it was just my simulated season (started before lockout ended).

I go in and give the stars that will definitely not leave their current teams the no trade clause before starting The Association. I also made Dwight Howard and Derron Williams disloyal so they become free agents the 1st off-season. CPU free agent signing, drafting logic, and draft pick trade value is still very shoddy.

But to answer your question I was offered about 3 trades the first season and 6 the next, but trading in general was down the 2nd season.

Jtrizzy

Is it me or is the whole free throw % thing broken?

Yeah, I agree this game has a tough learning curve, even year to year for experienced players like myself. One of the most difficult things about the game is mastering the many different shooting styles. In some ways I consider it a drawback because I tend to use the same teams over and over again. But I can't really fault vc for doing realistic shooting motions.

BTW I can't really seem to get this to work online with pc, if anyone wants to give it a shot let me know.

Also wondering what mods to use?

Top Bottom