• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA2K12 |OT| Lebron 4th Quarter Lockout Edition

Babalu.

nba 2k11 will be good enough for me until this game drops in price.

plus the true nba jam comes out tomorrow so that will be enough for me woo woo.

boooom shakalaka

TheTowel

Really pissed I missed the launch party in West LA. Magic Johnson signing covers? Would have had a good chance at winning that launch party. Missed a potential sit down with Magic.

Fjordson said:
Post play is fucking crazy compared to last year. Maybe it was just me being bad, but I barely ever posted up. Could never get anything out of it. Way different this year. Already dominated the post in a couple of games with Zach Randolph, Orlando Shaq, and Hakeem. Feels (and looks) great.

Post game changed

their are "post moves" and "post shots

PS3 triangle or Y for the 360 is the post up button

once in the post

hold L2/LT now tap the LS toward the key that's a fake to the paint

hold L2/LT now tap the LS to the baseline that's a fake spin

there are a hold host of moves that can go right into post shots. Its a thing of beauty.

Fjordson said:
Post play is fucking crazy compared to last year. Maybe it was just me being bad, but I barely ever posted up. Could never get anything out of it. Way different this year. Already dominated the post in a couple of games with Zach Randolph, Orlando Shaq, and Hakeem. Feels (and looks) great.

I wasn't going to buy the game since I don't like to do back-to-back years with a sports game, but this is what I wanted improved most so now I'm conflicted...

Smokey

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I wasn't going to buy the game since I don't like to do back-to-back years with a sports game, but this is what I wanted improved most so now I'm conflicted...

Thought you would've bought it just for Karl Malone. Fake Jazz fan confirmed.

cripterion

SlickVic said:
Really hope the PC version has custom arena music this year. Anyways, can't wait for my copy to arrive from Newegg.

No custom music, no updated shaders/lighting. Just updated the menu.

EDIT : Looks like they didn't even bother including the fancy new intros in the pc versions. SMH.

I don't even know... been asking since 2K10 if they will include custom music and they never bothered to reply.

Smokey

In general nobody cares about sports games on the PC. Hence hardly anything changes or features you'd expect from a PC game are missing.

Derrick01

Banned
I'll probably wait until the price drops since the gameplay seems to be better. I already got to play as all my favorite MJ-Bulls teams last year so the legend stuff isn't as big of a selling point to me this year. Glad to hear the post play is better though, shit was unbalanced as hell in 2k11. Pretty much whoever was playing center would dominate me and no matter what I tried I couldn't do anything when I tried to post.

cripterion

Smokey said:
In general nobody cares about sports games on the PC. Hence hardly anything changes or features you'd expect from a PC game are missing.

True, but why can't they do a direct port of 2K12 on the pc? That's all I'm asking. 2K9 was the same on pc as the console versions.

And look at FIFA 12 this year. They got their shit together. In the case of 2K it feels they remove features from the pc version on purpose...

mr stroke

can anyone tell me if online is re done from last year. not lag but the entire online UI. its been terrible the last several years and rumor was they were suposed to over haul it this year?

benjipwns

Banned
cripterion said:
True, but why can't they do a direct port of 2K12 on the pc? That's all I'm asking. 2K9 was the same on pc as the console versions.
There were no online features at all.

cripterion said:
No custom music, no updated shaders/lighting. Just updated the menu.

EDIT : Looks like they didn't even bother including the fancy new intros in the pc versions. SMH.

I don't even know... been asking since 2K10 if they will include custom music and they never bothered to reply.

um

GG 2k

where did you get your pc version? and notice anything funny so far?

I still may get that version as long as it uh, mostly resembles 2k12 everywhere else. all the mods make it worth it. but wtf, no custom arena music...can't play my own arena sounds :(

also if you try online play does it suddenly look like the game is from 2000 and moves at like 5 FPS?

cripterion

benjipwns said:
There were no online features at all.

Wow ok didn't even know about that, shows you how much they care about the pc version I guess.

ph33nix said:
um

GG 2k

where did you get your pc version? and notice anything funny so far?

I still may get that version as long as it uh, mostly resembles 2k12 everywhere else. all the mods make it worth it. but wtf, no custom arena music...can't play my own arena sounds :(

also if you try online play does it suddenly look like the game is from 2000 and moves at like 5 FPS?

Sorry, should have mention I don't own the game yet (waiting like others for the game to show up on Steam or D2D). But a couple of people from Operation Sports forums got the game on pc and reported that those features were missing, so instead of getting a great game, we get a great game, purposely gimped on a superior platform.

I mean how hard would it be to include custom audio on the pc? And missing shaders? Once again we'll have to rely on the modding community.

benjipwns

Banned
cripterion said:
Wow ok didn't even know about that, shows you how much they care about the pc version I guess.
To be slightly fair, it was only $20 instead of $30. And it was the first "next gen" sports game on PC, after the trash EA had been putting out it was like a godsend.

On the other hand, even though it required Steam, you could only buy it at retail. And had a massive CD key issue for some people. (There wasn't one in the box.)

It also had the same shaders/lighting as consoles.

2K10 was where they started fucking things up, they still don't seem to even understand the concept of DD properly. (Considering their overall online performance, not surprising.)

megalowho

Man I'm just going to keep this thread open as I play this. Better than an instruction manual!

I was on the fence but the animations, gameplay improvements, focus on classic teams and overall presentation just seems off the charts, even with last year's game probably being the best VC's ever done.

Also, Larry Bird cover all the way. Celtics baby!

cripterion said:

Sorry, should have mention I don't own the game yet (waiting like others for the game to show up on Steam or D2D). But a couple of people from Operation Sports forums got the game on pc and reported that those features were missing, so instead of getting a great game, we get a great game, purposely gimped on a superior platform.

I mean how hard would it be to include custom audio on the pc? And missing shaders? Once again we'll have to rely on the modding community.

I don't mind relying on the modding community anyhow, they take care of all the little bits and pieces that are missing. Like how certain arenas don't have the logo printed on the court (Like MSG) modders take care of that. Or stuff behind backboards and having more jerseys or brighter courts. but they can't fix 2k's shitty audio :(

i hate how their arena, when they choose to play music, it sounds terrible on the court. and when they attempt an 'authentic' arena sound it ends up sounding like some computer generated horse shit or it doesn't sound very exciting at all

oh and will we go ANOTHER fucking year without "let's go heat?"

Smokey said:
Just loop it on your PC. You always complain about this lol

fuck that if the lakers and knicks and pacers and all those other arenas get arena love i want arena love for the fucking heat too

instead all we get is "DOS"

Smokey

ph33nix said:
fuck that if the lakers and knicks and pacers and all those other arenas get arena love i want arena love for the fucking heat too

instead all we get is "DOS"

That Live 10 link that was posted in best-gaf...man I sat and watched that through a quarter. The sound was SO GOOD. Felt like you were watching an authentic Live telecast of a playoff game. Too bad the players skated all over the place and the spacing was horrible...

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Jarlaxle said:
There's about 30 classic teams there and not one Suns team. Son, I am disappoint.
I'm no Suns fan, but I'd really like to see the 92-93 Western Conf Champ Suns with Chuck, KJ, Thunder Dan, Danny Ainge, Chambers, Dumas, et al.

First year of PC gaming so I want to get 2K12 for PC. From what I read though, last year they were awful with releasing patches. Hopefully, that changes. While the lack of custom music sucks, I'm excited with the possibility to play with mods. As long as the gameplay and the Association is the same as consoles (not an online guy so that doesn't matter to me), then I will be just fine.

charsace

Smokey you might be safe this year because I am probably skipping 2k this year. So thank the God you worship.

Your Daddy,

Charsace

Nabs

It's a shame they still haven't updated the shaders and lighting for the PC version. At least the game should still look great with 4xSSAA @ 60fps.

People need to hurry up and go online with it, I can't wait to see how broken it is. I remember playing a game with Lkr, and that shit looked like it was straight out of 1996.

Nightz

Still on the fence about this. I'm getting a copy from Gamefly today so I'll check it out before I buy.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Nabs said:
It's a shame they still haven't updated the shaders and lighting for the PC version. At least the game should still look great with 4xSSAA @ 60fps.

People need to hurry up and go online with it, I can't wait to see how broken it is. I remember playing a game with Lkr, and that shit looked like it was straight out of 1996.
Yeah, it's a damn shame that, after all these years, online play is *still* so broken on day 1 every single year. I'm not speaking from experience with this year's game, only the experience of having owned every other version of the NBA 2K series.

#2KDayIsShameDay

Apparently, they took out the cool intros in the PC version. I know that after a while, I would just skip them, but still. Why remove them?

Weak =/

benjipwns

Banned
anachronous_one said:
Yeah, it's a damn shame that, after all these years, online play is *still* so broken on day 1 every single year. I'm not speaking from experience with this year's game, only the experience of having owned every other version of the NBA 2K series.

#2KDayIsShameDay
Well, when you're still using code and stuff from the Dreamcast era and even NBA Action/Fastbreak 98...

Smokey

charsace said:
Smokey you might be safe this year because I am probably skipping 2k this year. So thank the God you worship.

Your Daddy,

Charsace

*yawn*

Nightz said:
Still on the fence about this. I'm getting a copy from Gamefly today so I'll check it out before I buy.

We should play. I'm probably a bit rusty.

cripterion said:

The same kind of discussion was made last year where people were complaining graphical details were missing and 2K basically came out and said that graphical features were same across the board (I have both 2K10 and 2K11 on PC so there definitely were some graphical improvements from one to the other- most notably some player models/animations and the addition of DOF) If it's anything like last year, the menu complaints are valid but the in game graphical complaints probably not so much (offline play of course..online is a different story)

In response to the missing shaders post on OS from another poster.

Actually its the same as the console version. The shadowing effect is not present on the PS3 as well.

I don't think any of these early adopters know what the hell they're talking about. I'm going to wait until it releases on DD and more people get their hands on it before making any informed decision.

In regards to the patching issue, 2K10 was absolutely atrocious in that the patch that the console version got was released on PC around April of that year (just when the regular season ended- which was absolutely unacceptable). For 2K11, the delay was about a couple of months IIRC.

I wish devs would actually put some effort into porting to PC as even with a slightly gimped port, the game plays better on PC through sheer technical power of that hardware. Not only is the image quality significantly better, but 60 FPS actually makes a huge difference in responsiveness of player controls moreso than any other genre. I'm speaking of past iterations NBA 2K of course.

Top Bottom