• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGCrazied

Congress better be looking into getting rid of Trump or they will really regret it. First by losing control of the senate to Democrats in 2018.

at least destabilizing NK wouldnt produce anything as bad as the abomination in the middle east

not that military action is teh way to go about this.

KingBroly

Banned
at least destabilizing NK wouldnt produce anything as bad as the abomination in the middle east

Depends on how you handle the situation. Allowing Korea to unify would cause an economic depression for them for a couple of decades while they try and prop up the North. I'm not sure how China absorbing part of North Korea would affect anything, though.

Depends on how you handle the situation. Allowing Korea to unify would cause an economic depression for them for a couple of decades while they try and prop up the North. I'm not sure how China absorbing part of North Korea would affect anything, though.

Trying to unify S and N is bad.
Not just because of the economic depression, but because both ideologies wont mix at all. And you'll have two groups trying to constantly wrest power from the other.

It just wont happen, and its not just because of economic issues.

Keihart

This sounds like a job for Philantropy, Solid and Otacon could solve this situation if they were real :c

We need super soldiers that carry out missions by themself to be a thing...maybe.

KingBroly

Banned
Trying to unify S and N is bad.
Not just because of the economic depression, but because both ideologies wont mix at all. And you'll have two groups trying to constantly wrest power from the other.

It just wont happen, and its not just because of economic issues.

I maintain China needs to do a Covert Op to quiet things down and make sure we don't find out for a decade or so.

Yeah the US may. Trump has figured that the one thing that makes Americans look favorably upon him is successfully bombings of "enemy" nations.

Lots of places are gonna get democracy the first excuse he can get.

jstripes

Banned
I'm still pretty skeptical that any major offensive against NK will occur anytime soon. However, if something were to happen, my opinion is that China will align with the US/others again NK, but ultimately will do so on the condition that there will be no long-term US/other occupation of NK. Any occupation will occur strictly by China.

Also, if it comes down to military intervention, I have a feeling that China will stand back let the US take care of it. That way they keep their hands clean, don't have to spend money, and the US' international reputation will go down to their benefit.

not that military action is teh way to go about this.

That's pretty optimistic in my opinion. In a best case scenario you are still likely to have US, Chinese, and probably Russian forces on the ground attempting to secure nuclear materials. The North, as a whole, is a rural backwoods. It will take decades of time and piles of cash to bring North Korea into line with South Korea, and you're looking at massive social upheaval in the process.

That's pretty optimistic in my opinion. In a best case scenario you are still likely to have US, Chinese, and probably Russian forces on the ground attempting to secure nuclear materials. The North, as a whole, is a rural backwoods. It will take decades of time and piles of cash to bring North Korea into line with South Korea, and you're looking at massive social upheaval in the process.

not saying itd be easy. not saying it wouldnt take time. but it's a lot better than the vacuum of shit going on in a region. plus I imagine the amount of humanitarian support and aid from countries would be more than what the mideast is seeing. you dont have dozens of cultures, religions, and ideologies violently conflicting just to live cohesively.

The NK humanitarian crisis from a collapse would make Syria loook like kindergarten

the middle east is more than just the Syrian regime. no way would a collapse of NK be as bad. maybe the amount of people displaced, but the humanitarian effort would be much more supportive

Dehnus

Exactly. They know their country like the back of their hands.

Can we stop the demonisation, cultural bigotry and ableism shit please? Are you going to call all of China "a nation of nutcases" next because they won't criticise Mao?

Seriously? Have you ever seen how fanatic they are? It is nothing like China. These people get raised from cradle to grave with the Kims as god! And those that don't buy it get send to concentration camps for a few GENERATIONS! YES, generations, you read that right. So I hardly demonize. Furthermore I don't want Trumpaloompa to start a war with it, I want Trumpaloompa to back down, and allow china to handle it and slowly change the culture of personal worship surrounding the Kims. If you do it by force you'll have a shit storm on your hands.

And that isn't demonisation, I really feel bad for the poor people in North Korean, I just don't think that bombing them to hell is the solution!

Also, if it comes down to military intervention, I have a feeling that China will stand back let the US take care of it. That way they keep their hands clean, don't have to spend money, and the US' international reputation will go down to their benefit.

Also China's never actually made a high profile military intervention before - it would be something of an "awakening" and would be very hotly analysed. How capable are they? Did they fuck anything up? Have we learnt anything about their weapons systems etc? These are all questions that are, for the most part, not relevant to the US.

Dehnus

Kim should be assassinated. Get Mossad on the phone.

There are more Kims you know, the family is quite extended. They'll just find another, or they'll lie and say it is another. The military brass fares well by keeping the God Cult alive. If you want to get rid of it, you'll need the help of China to change the culture of the average North Korean so they stand up against the Kims and the military. Because if they do so now they go into concentration camps for generations.

There are more Kims you know, the family is quite extended. They'll just find another, or they'll lie and say it is another. The military brass fares well by keeping the God Cult alive. If you want to get rid of it, you'll need the help of China to change the culture of the average North Korean so they stand up against the Kims and the military. Because if they do so now they go into concentration camps for generations.

china seems content to murder refugees that try to cross at the moment

Chinas attitude to human life needs to change as well

Dehnus

china seems content to murder refugees that try to cross at the moment

Chinas attitude to human life needs to change as well

Of course we need a joint effort in this, but for the most part patience. The mindsets of the North Korean needs to change, otherwise the Military will keep in power and finding more "Kims" to replace the old one.

I just hope strategy involves "what do we do after we blow things up".

Because you gonna need billions and billions to rebuild south Korea if things go bad and NK shells Seoul.

Then you'd need billions to police, contain and feed north korean civilians.

Because ultimately there's going tobe pictures of corpse piles, and refugees piling up and dying against a fence preventing them from being someone elses problem.

Think of that dead kid refugee face down dead in the sand, then times that by a 100.

I don't think we're gonna invade North Korea it would be an absolute disaster.

legacyzero

Banned
This sounds like a job for Philantropy, Solid and Otacon could solve this situation if they were real :c

We need super soldiers that carry out missions by themself to be a thing...maybe.
I know you're being funny, but I agree with the concept.

Covert strike with China's blessing

I know you're being funny, but I agree with the concept.

Covert strike with China's blessing
I know this is a stupid question and I'm embarrassed to ask it, but do people like that, or events like that, ever actually occur in real life? Are there James Bonds and Chuck Norrises doing top secret spy shit that we never hear of or is it 100% pure fiction?

I know this is a stupid question and I'm embarrassed to ask it, but do people like that, or events like that, ever actually occur in real life? Are there James Bonds and Chuck Norrises doing top secret spy shit that we never hear of or is it 100% pure fiction?

I mean not typically one man armies like that, there's usually some amount of coordination, and assassinating the leader of North Korea would probably be the highest profile example ever.

But to some degree yeah absolutely

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just hope strategy involves "what do we do after we blow things up".

Because you gonna need billions and billions to rebuild south Korea if things go bad and NK shells Seoul.

Then you'd need billions to police, contain and feed north korean civilians.

Because ultimately there's going tobe pictures of corpse piles, and refugees piling up and dying against a fence preventing them from being someone elses problem.

Think of that dead kid refugee face down dead in the sand, then times that by a 100.

I don't think we're gonna invade North Korea it would be an absolute disaster.
The United States can't agree on how to take care of its citizens health, there's no way it would be able to provide anything similar to the Marshall Plan for a hypothetical post-regime Korean Peninsula. Politics has become too partisan.

carlsojo

I mean not typically one man armies like that, there's usually some amount of coordination, and assassinating the leader of North Korea would probably be the highest profile example ever.

But to some degree yeah absolutely

I can't fathom any good coming from the chaos left behind after his assassination.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My assumption has always been that the US has tried to get the Kims assassinated at one point or another but failed miserably, just like they tried with Castro.

Don't worry I am sure all the trigger happy us troops are actually call of duty troops! We be all up in that bitch no scoping getting headshots and disarming nukes mid flight!

Seems like tensions might be starting to cool. If Trump is at Mar-a-Lago and Pence is visiting South Korea I cannot imagine they anticipate striking North Korea's nuclear facilities. It will be interesting to see if the North goes ahead with the test, or maybe the amount of saber rattling makes them hesitant in the short term. Especially in light of the Trump administrations attack against Syria for the use of chemical weapons.

Seems like tensions might be starting to cool. If Trump is at Mar-a-Lago and Pence is visiting South Korea I cannot imagine they anticipate striking North Korea's nuclear facilities. It will be interesting to see if the North goes ahead with the test, or maybe the amount of saber rattling with make them hesitant in the short term. Especially in light of the Trump administrations attack against Syria for the use of chemical weapons.

Well this is the same guy that approved a bomb strike while eating some really good chocolate cake. Also, wasn't spec ops raid done while at dinner?

Serious question: Why is the Capital of South Korea still Seoul? I know it's been their capital for hundreds of years but it's in a terrible strategic spot. After the Korea War ceasefire they could have moved it to Busan and the seat of their government wouldn't be in danger of being flattened by North Korea at any given moment.

For the 357964686th time in this thread, NK can't hit America at all.

Are you privy to some inside information or are you just taking the word of our intelligence community at face value?

Just because nobody believes they have the ability to strike us doesn't mean that is true.

kmfdmpig

Yeah they can. They can do it with a submarine.

I suspect that China, the Soviets and the US know where NK's submarines are almost all the time. I also highly doubt that a NK submarine could position itself near East Coast of the US. Maybe in 20 years if things continue as they are going, but not now.

Seems like tensions might be starting to cool. If Trump is at Mar-a-Lago and Pence is visiting South Korea I cannot imagine they anticipate striking North Korea's nuclear facilities. It will be interesting to see if the North goes ahead with the test, or maybe the amount of saber rattling makes them hesitant in the short term. Especially in light of the Trump administrations attack against Syria for the use of chemical weapons.
We could literally be at DEFCON 1 and Trump would still go to Florida to golf.

Not

Banned
Guys I'm not saying it's hard to read the news when our three-month President wants to go to war for no reason with a nuclear power to distract everyone from the fact that he colluded with Russia to get elected because they have a pee video of him, but I am saying that I'm happier on the weekends I don't go online.

Guys I'm not saying it's hard to read the news when our three-month President wants to go to war for no reason with a nuclear power to distract everyone from the fact that he colluded with Russia to get elected because they have a pee video of him, but I am saying that I'm happier on the weekends I don't go online.

It's kinda obvious that he wants to go manufacture a war really bad to distract from the Russian investigation. "Whats the point of having nukes if we're not going to use them?" Every Republican president in my lifetime as went to war. Trump will be no different, as he's war hungry.

I feel like I'm seconds away from global catastrophe every day this week. What's the most likely timeframe to expect the shit to hit the fan?

Xyrmellon

Actually with Pence there it seems like the perfect time for the test. It would be symbolic and the U.S. would at least give a strike a second thought. Not that I think Trump really cares, but the military would be putting the vp's life in direct danger if an all out shooting war breaks out.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like I'm seconds away from global catastrophe every day this week. What's the most likely timeframe to expect the shit to hit the fan?

8:30pm-11:30pm EST is when they've done tests in the past

So...a few hours.

EDIT: If China pulls their support for taking NK's oil, that'll be a sign for Trump to start bombing NK. At least from what I've gathered.

Guys, I know this gets shot down really fast here (OMG STOP SAYING WO III IS GONNA HAPPEN BLABLABLA), but there's shitloads of tension in the world right now. I mean, noticeably more than the previous years.

Is it me or would it be naive to think WO III ISN'T about to start? The brexit wasn't going to happen, Trump wasn't going to be elected. These two things have happened, even when the majority of the world predicted something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom