• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC News: U.S. May Launch Strike If North Korea Reaches For Nuclear Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kinda obvious that he wants to go manufacture a war really bad to distract from the Russian investigation. "Whats the point of having nukes if we're not going to use them?" Every Republican president in my lifetime as went to war. Trump will be no different, as he's war hungry.
This isn't manufactured. This is what happens when decades of procrastination catch up with you. We've been in a stick up with a mad gunman for years and now he's truly losing it. The only alternative is to accept Kim Jong Un and to accept a nuclear North Korea, which will lead to a nuclear armed Japan. And that's just unthinkable.

It definitely helps Trump but it isn't manufactured.

zelas

Guys, I know this gets shot down really fast here (OMG STOP SAYING WO III IS GONNA HAPPEN BLABLABLA), but there's shitloads of tension in the world right now. I mean, noticeably more than the previous years.

Is it me or would it be naive to think WO III ISN'T about to start? The brexit wasn't going to happen, Trump wasn't going to be elected. These two things have happened, even when the majority of the world predicted something else.

We're not talking about decisions being handled by a majority of fickle and know nothing voters here.

More recently than Trump being elected and Brexit we just had the tomahawk strike. Did world war break out then? No. If we do retaliate it doesn't mean Congress is going to just give him a green light to wage war for the foreseeable future.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Can Nixon be president again?

635d89068210c5ccfa221822ab678f9a.png

RPGCrazied

Donald Trump Jr.‏Verified account
@DonaldJTrumpJr

Bomb the hell out of ISIS: ✔️

Another promise kept #Moab 💣
#maga

Really? People are dying and he only cares about daddy and his campaign promises?

I just hope strategy involves "what do we do after we blow things up".

Because you gonna need billions and billions to rebuild south Korea if things go bad and NK shells Seoul.

Then you'd need billions to police, contain and feed north korean civilians.

Because ultimately there's going tobe pictures of corpse piles, and refugees piling up and dying against a fence preventing them from being someone elses problem.

Think of that dead kid refugee face down dead in the sand, then times that by a 100.

I don't think we're gonna invade North Korea it would be an absolute disaster.

There wont be pictures. NK isnt like other countries where people can take a picture and upload it online. Unless youre a tourist there, or unless NK uploads their own propaganda, and unless you sneak in through China(unlikely) or SK(unlikely), any images out of NK will most likely be government propaganda from the NK.

And there are no fences. There are mines. They wont make it across to become a refugee. They can try going through China, but China seems bent on not letting any NK in. And seeing how China is restrictive on their internet and free speech, no pictures from there.

Quite simply, it wont be 100x worse than the kid facedown on a beach.

Lebon14

My thoughts here as well. I don't feel very safe atm with all of this going on.

For the n-th number of time, NK has no possibility of hitting the USA at ALL. You are safe unless you are living in...

...South Korea
...Japan
...and maybe some northern part of China.

Word I am from Boston but living in Cali now. I think if something pops off South Korea will get the biggest backlash. NK will actually target them first.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For the n-th number of time, NK has no possibility of hitting the USA at ALL. You are safe unless you are living in...

...South Korea
...Japan

Didn't they have at least one weapon test on something that could reach Hawaii?

brau

...South Korea
...Japan

I honestly don't really know the capabilities of N Korea as far as what they can hit or not. Them retaliating against neighbor countries is still pretty bad. But the fact that we are relatively close to N Korea on this coast makes me uneasy. Hopefully, nothing will come out of this. Here hoping neither of the countries do something stupid.

Even they did, I believe their tech is way too ealry stage for anything getting reliably hitting Hawaii. So, they're pretty safe.

Why would they attack HI? they'd try to prevent an invasion

so they'd attack forces in SK and Japan.

Attacking the US only makes sense if you have like 200+ warheads because taking out SF doesn't prevent the US and ROK from taking over your country and ending the regime

Even they did, I believe their tech is way too ealry stage for anything getting reliably hitting Hawaii. So, they're pretty safe.

How about they put one on a fishing trawler and move it to Hawaii and set it off.

Once a nation can make nukes one has to negotiate one way or another and it should be China that figures something out not the orange idiot who is golfing today.

idk Tonight or Tomorrow night

unlike the Syria and Afghanistan strike, the US isn't literally fighting NK but are at a stale mate

we will learn if things ramp up even more if journalist are asked to stay the night

Mattis is visiting the ME next week though so maybe it might not happen

KingBroly

Banned
idk Tonight or Tomorrow night

unlike the Syria and Afghanistan strike, the US isn't literally fighting NK but are at a stale mate

we will learn if things ramp up even more if journalist are asked to stay the night

Mattis is visiting the ME next week though so maybe it might not happen

You've got the US, China, SK, Russia, Ukraine and Japan all converging on NK right now. Strange bedfellows here, but it's being taken extremely seriously.

daTRUballin

Wow.

I'd like to think our government would think with a clear head in this situation, but this is Trump we're talking about. If he randomly launched missiles at Syria out of nowhere just a few days ago, what makes us think he won't do something similar here?

Xyrmellon

Suddenly Im thinking nothing is going to happen. Now that we're on the brink, the White House and Pentagon are walking back and denying statements previously reported. We'll see though.

KingBroly

Banned
Is this true? Russia n Ukraine?

Yeah. Ukraine isn't sending much from what I've read. Like 3 ships or something like that. Russia's sending planes in to the northern border.

Suddenly Im thinking nothing is going to happen. Now that we're on the brink, the White House and Pentagon are walking back and denying statements previously reported. We'll see though.

Of course they're going to deny. That's Trump's entire mantra. Don't tell the enemy what you're going to do.

Yeah. Ukraine isn't sending much from what I've read. Like 3 ships or something like that. Russia's sending planes in to the northern border.

Of course they're going to deny. That's Trump's entire mantra. Don't tell the enemy what you're going to do.
The enemy can't know what you are doing if you yourself don't know what you are doing.

SDCowboy

Do you have a link to Russia and Ukraine joining the US on this?

Kensation

But a U.S. military official, who requested anonymity to discuss planning, said the U.S. doesn't intend to use military force against North Korea in response to either a nuclear test or a missile launch. The official said plans could change in the unlikely event a North Korean missile targets South Korea, Japan or U.S. territory.
https://www.apnews.com/86626d21ea2b45c79457a873a747c452/Trump-strategy-on-NKorea:-'Maximum-pressure-and-engagement?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Politics

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
They need to take Trump's goddamned phone away. If millions of people die because of his stupid big mouth then a lot of people need to be held accountable. Starting with Mitch McConnell.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over this. None of the stuff one would expect to happen before an attack on NK has happened. You would see multiple Carrier groups in the region not just one, as well as evacuations of families from our bases in the region as well for calls for Americans to leave the country or head further south away from the DMZ. Sure there is a reasonable possibility of NK testing a missile or nuclear weapon in the near future but barring some catastrophic event the only response would be harsh words and sanctions.

Chumly

I'm concerned about the humanitarian crisis this is going to cause (if we ever do military strikes). People think what happened in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan was bad. Morally we would be on the hook for hundreds of billions of dollars in aid.

I really wouldn't lose any sleep over this. None of the stuff one would expect to happen before an attack on NK has happened. You would see multiple Carrier groups in the region not just one, as well as evacuations of families from our bases in the region as well for calls for Americans to leave the country or head further south away from the DMZ. Sure there is a reasonable possibility of NK testing a missile or nuclear weapon in the near future but barring some catastrophic event the only response would be harsh words and sanctions.

You expect that with someone reasonable in charge.

Trump isn't. He's a 10 year old with an army and an ego the size of a planet. He'll order the strike and think nothing of the fallout, because he's incapable of thinking about such things.

MIMIC

Banned

From the link:

At the other end of the spectrum, they looked at the notion of accepting North Korea as a nuclear state.

I never figured that this was an option (especially since the last two administrations pretty much saw this as unacceptable). It may be the only way. Because once NK ever uses one, their fate is sealed.

But this would give NK more power, and who knows how that would unfold over the years.

Kensation

From the link:

I never figured that this was an option (especially since the last two administrations pretty much saw this as unacceptable). It may be the only way. Because once NK ever uses one, their fate is sealed.

But this would give NK more power, and who knows how that would unfold over the years.

Unfortunately, the "best" scenario for military action would be for NK to attack first. Gives us just cause to go all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom