• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
He only gets started asking that his players be steered away starting in 2007, brah.

And didn't alert anyone else in the university of his suspicions? Thats the equivalent of smelling smoke and bailing out and not telling anyone else in the building that there's a fire. And given how highly Williams spoke of Walden in his book, only to have him replaced a couple of years after the 09 title?

I like to pick on the Huckster, but he's not an idiot.

Talon

And didn't alert anyone else in the university of his suspicions? Thats the equivalent of smelling smoke and bailing out and not telling anyone else in the building that there's a fire. And given how highly Williams spoke of Walden in his book, only to have him replaced a couple of years after the 09 title?

I like to pick on the Huckster, but he's not an idiot.
That was a response to my boy Domino.

Matugi

We'll just have to peaceably disagree about this. That may be what the report indicates but to me it makes no sense. AFAM was a brand new program in the early 90s so it seems sketchy to me that this new program is already going to have fake classes for...tenure? Granted, I'm not quite on the other end of the spectrum either who believe that AFAM was created because Duke now tied UNC with national titles and they needed it to get the Wallaces and Stackhouses of the world. I think the program appealed to athletes because it was interesting and not too difficult and gave minority athletes a chance to learn and appreciate their history.
Things had obviously changed by the time Coach D'oh came into the picture if both Gut and Dean told him not to change the academic support system. I also don't believe that Wayne Walden tried to change the culture out of the goodness of his heart. The 2009 team still had a lot of players that took AFAM classes even if they didn't major in it. They didn't abandon the program en masse until 2010/2011. Do you remember what happened that year?

The success of the team on the court in 2010/2011 year had nothing to do with the classes. Two of the major contributors for the following two years were a freshman and a sophomore on that team.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The success of the team on the court in 2010/2011 year had nothing to do with the classes. Two of the major contributors for the following two years were a freshman and a sophomore on that team.

No...I was referring to:

20120614_jla_sn3_021.0_standard_709.0.jpg

He pretty much started it all

Dana O'Neil retweeted
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3m3 minutes ago
Syracuse hoops & football to face NCAA COI for alleged extra benefits/academic issues going back at least 10 years source told @ESPN

Rumor is they were taking UNC courses online.

Garryk

Did they make the tourny last year or were they snubbed? Anyways, these 4 SEC teams will make the tourny this year 1. UK, 2. UF, 3. ARKY, 4. TENN

No, they fell apart at the end of the year. Had a chance, but an early exit from the SEC tourney and a weak non-conference schedule sealed their fate. I'm just trying to rankle the Cats fans.

This year we have some good non-conference games: Wake Forest, @Clemson, @SMU, @Iowa State, Dayton, and Iona (not Iowa). Only play UK and Gata once apiece but they are both on the road.

Just got back from Countdown 2 Craziness (Duke's Midnight Madness), I have to say that I feel really good about the squad. I'm not going to go out and say something wild like Championship is assured off the back of an intrasquad scrimmage for the fans, but I like what I saw.

Three things:

1. This team will get buckets. Still not sure they will actually play a lick of defense (tonight was not going to be a strong indicator either way on that), but they will score in bunches from anywhere on the court.

2. Jah will be a force. I'm not sure he's guardable at the college level with one defender. The attention and doubleteams he will draw will inevitably give even more room for other dudes on the floor to operate.

3. Grayson Allen WILL be the most hated college basketball player in America in four years. The face, the shot, the hops, the scrappiness, it's all there.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just got back from Countdown 2 Craziness (Duke's Midnight Madness), I have to say that I feel really good about the squad. I'm not going to go out and say something wild like Championship is assured off the back of an intrasquad scrimmage for the fans, but I like what I saw.

Three things:

1. This team will get buckets. Still not sure they will actually play a lick of defense (tonight was not going to be a strong indicator either way on that), but they will score in bunches from anywhere on the court.

2. Jah will be a force. I'm not sure he's guardable at the college level with one defender. The attention and doubleteams he will draw will inevitably give even more room for other dudes on the floor to operate.

3. Grayson Allen WILL be the most hated college basketball player in America in four years. The face, the shot, the hops, the scrappiness, it's all there.

Thats why I'm taking him and Kennard as signs that Duke will be fine the couple of season.Not having that hateable face punch white guy on the team threw everything out of balance.

Fjordson

Thats why I'm taking him and Kennard as signs that Duke will be fine the couple of season.Not having that hateable face punch white guy on the team threw everything out of balance.
lmao. dying.

I forgot about Kennard =[ really wanted him at UK.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
lmao. dying.

I forgot about Kennard =[ really wanted him at UK.

And I really wanted him at Michigan. :(

The 14 and 15 classes have both been pretty frustrating for Michigan fans. So frustrating that Beilein finally told our top priority Jalen Coleman to fuck off and give his scholarship to a DIII transfer.

Crisco

Banned
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11775066/mark-emmert-ncaa-president-calls-north-carolina-report-troubling

"Just based on the (Kenneth) Wainstein report, this is a case that potentially strikes at the heart of what higher education is about," Emmert said Monday. "Universities are supposed to take absolutely most seriously the education of their students, right? I mean that's why they exist, that's their function in life. If the Wainstein report is accurate, then there was severe, severe compromising of all those issues, so it's deeply troubling. ... It's absolutely disturbing that we find ourselves here right now."

I wonder if they are going to just shutter the doors of the Dean Smith Center, or just make UNC play with walk-ons for the next few years. God I hope it's the latter.

Also, while banners coming down will be hilarious, it's really damage to the future of the program that I want. I would let them take away everything NC State ever won to live through a national championship myself, so that shit doesn't hurt anyone. To really prove a point they need to seriously hurt UNC's ability to generate revenue through athletics. That means death penalty or no more athletic scholarships.

AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Kentucky (52) 29-11 1,604
2 Arizona (5) 33-5 1,518
3 Wisconsin (8) 30-8 1,483
4 Duke 26-9 1,415
5 Kansas 25-10 1,346
6 North Carolina 24-10 1,274
7 Florida 36-3 1,153
8 Louisville 31-6 1,114
9 Virginia 30-7 1,090
10 Texas 24-11 1,061
11 Wichita St 35-1 1,027
12 Villanova 29-5 885
13 Gonzaga 29-7 840
14 Iowa State 28-8 781
15 Virginia Commonwealth 26-9 574
16 San Diego St 31-5 560
17 Connecticut 32-8 552
18 Michigan St 29-9 521
19 Oklahoma 23-10 426
20 Ohio State 25-10 340
21 Nebraska 19-13 309
22 SMU 27-10 285
23 Syracuse 28-6 178
24 Michigan 28-9 167
25 Harvard 27-5 98
25 Utah 21-12 98

Others receiving votes: Stanford 71, Iowa 58, Colorado 57, UCLA 35, Minnesota 34, Kansas St 27, Arkansas 21, Pittsburgh 20, Memphis 15, NC State 14, Louisiana Tech 9, Cincinnati 8, LSU 8, George Washington 7, Notre Dame 6, Oklahoma St 6, Dayton 6, Georgetown 5, Florida St 5, Maryland 3, Illinois 3, UNLV 2, BYU 2, West Virginia 1, Baylor 1, Stephen F. Austin 1, UTEP 1

thefro

This sucks...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...vin-davis-hit-car-driven-teammate-emmitt-holt

Two Indiana basketball players were involved in a car accident early Saturday morning -- with one ending up in the hospital and the other being cited for illegal consumption and operating a vehicle under the influence.

The school released a statement that sophomore forward Devin Davis was injured after being struck by a vehicle driven by freshman Emmitt Holt just moments after exiting the vehicle.

Davis was taken to IU Health Bloomington Hospital and is currently in serious condition.

"I've been with him all night," Indiana coach Tom Crean said in a text to ESPN.com. "Big 48 hours coming."

Holt was cited for illegal consumption and operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol content above 0.02. Holt registered a 0.025, according to the school. Someone is considered to be over the limit in Indiana if they have a BAC of at least .08 percent. If they are younger than 21 years old -- as was the case with Holt -- the limit is only .02 percent.

Davis is a 6-foot-7 forward who averaged 2.4 points and 2.6 rebounds in 8.8 minutes last season while the 6-foot-7 Holt was a late signee who was set to go to prep school at Vermont Academy before he opted to play at Indiana this season.

"First and foremost, our thoughts are with Devin and his family and we pray that his condition improves in the coming days," Crean said in a statement. "An injury to one of us is an injury to all of us and we are devastated by the news. We will continue to support Devin and Emmitt in every possible way and I know the Hoosier family will come together to rally for these young men. We are working to gather additional information on the accident."

Hope Davis makes a recovery... sounds pretty bad.

.025 is only 1 or 2 beers, so I don't think alcohol would have played a major factor in Holt's decision-making. Probably just a freak accident... I know it was cold and snowing a bit in Bloomington last night, so there might have been a slick spot or two in the parking lots.

The title of the thread says Men's Basketball but we're equal opportunity and its time to spotlight the first scorer of the 2014-2015 college basketball season, Lauren Hill for Div III Mount Saint Joseph.

This story is remarkable for two reasons:

A) Lauren's story is incredible and if it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you have no heart.

B) It's a rare moment of kindness and compassion for the NCAA cabal. Lauren's cancer is terminal and the doctors have given her a prognosis for only a few months left to live. MSJ successfully appealed to the NCAA to get the game moved from next month up to today to ensure that she would get a chance to play in it.

Yeah it was a good heartwarming story. Moments like that are what college sports are all about.

Changing discussion here...aren't some pre-season games coming up soon? I know some of the B1G teams generally schedule a couple of DIII opponents before the official start of the season. Texas, unfortunately, will generally hold a couple of closed scrimmages but no pre-season games.

Changing discussion here...aren't some pre-season games coming up soon? I know some of the B1G teams generally schedule a couple of DIII opponents before the official start of the season. Texas, unfortunately, will generally hold a couple of closed scrimmages but no pre-season games.

Duke has exhibition games Tuesday and Saturday of this week before starting its season against Presbyterian next Friday (November 14) in the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic. They'll also play November 15 before facing Michigan State on the 18th in Indianapolis.

Fjordson

The title of the thread says Men's Basketball but we're equal opportunity and its time to spotlight the first scorer of the 2014-2015 college basketball season, Lauren Hill for Div III Mount Saint Joseph.

This story is remarkable for two reasons:

A) Lauren's story is incredible and if it doesn't bring a tear to your eye, you have no heart.

B) It's a rare moment of kindness and compassion for the NCAA cabal. Lauren's cancer is terminal and the doctors have given her a prognosis for only a few months left to live. MSJ successfully appealed to the NCAA to get the game moved from next month up to today to ensure that she would get a chance to play in it.
Holy shit. Feel terrible for her terminal prognosis, but great move by the NCAA and the team. Amazing story.

Yeah it was a good heartwarming story. Moments like that are what college sports are all about.

UK played Pikeville today. Boring 40 point win, but it was fun to watch some college basketball again.

We play wooster or something here in a week

This sucks...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...vin-davis-hit-car-driven-teammate-emmitt-holt

Hope Davis makes a recovery... sounds pretty bad.

.025 is only 1 or 2 beers, so I don't think alcohol would have played a major factor in Holt's decision-making. Probably just a freak accident... I know it was cold and snowing a bit in Bloomington last night, so there might have been a slick spot or two in the parking lots.

IU student I presume? I graduated from IU near the end of the RMK era. It sounds like DD ran out in front of the vehicle and the police report puts most of the blame on him. Very scary situation, I'm glad to hear reports that he is improving.

So anyways...it rains, it pours. Troy Williams and Stanford Robinson suspended 4 games each for failing multiple drug tests. We've had so many off-court incidents in the past year, it is crazy. The interwebz IU fan base pounding the drums for Crean's head right now.

iamblades

IU student I presume? I graduated from IU near the end of the RMK era. It sounds like DD ran out in front of the vehicle and the police report puts most of the blame on him. Very scary situation, I'm glad to hear reports that he is improving.

So anyways...it rains, it pours. Troy Williams and Stanford Robinson suspended 4 games each for failing multiple drug tests. We've had so many off-court incidents in the past year, it is crazy. The interwebz IU fan base pounding the drums for Crean's head right now.

I think he doesn't have much left at IU no matter what happens, it's just a matter of when his contract becomes worth buying out vs the damage to recruiting that keeping him on after it is clear he is a lame duck will cause. The chances of him turning it around to the point where the fans will be happy at this point is nil.

I say they will let him finish out this year because it's too late to replace him and they gotta pay him anyway, but I am skeptical that he will get another year. The disciplinary issues may be the final nail in the coffin though, especially if IU can use them as a way to get out of paying him the full buyout like UK did with BCG.

UK #2 in USA Today preseason.

hahahahha....who is #1? Wisconsin?

hahahahaha

Everyone is really excited about that tall white guy on Wisconsin's team, including ESPN who already ranked him as this season's best player in college basketball.. Of course, Kentucky's team's only possible weakness is that they are too deep, thus keeping all their stars from getting into rhythm.

iamblades

Everyone is really excited about that tall white guy on Wisconsin's team, including ESPN who already ranked him as this season's best player in college basketball.. Of course, Kentucky's team's only possible weakness is that they are too deep, thus keeping all their stars from getting into rhythm.

I don't see it going off the NCAA tournament game last year, without WCS.

Dakari was the only true big who played in that game, and he only got 18 minutes. If Julius Randle and Alex Poythress can shut you down in the post, going up against Dakari + KAT + WCS you aren't going to get anything.

I'm sure he will dominate vs the 90% of teams that don't have legit size inside, but I will be interested to see if he can do anything when he runs into a Texas or UK or Arizona. Even a Kansas or a Duke should be able to hold him down inside.

iamblades

Meh, I'm fine with any polls ranking UK below 1. If we're legit then we'll get to #1 (or close to it) eventually.

true enough, I don't care about anything that happens before february or so really, I'm just going to be enjoying the games till then.

bachikarn

ESPN ranks us as having the toughest OOC. Too bad, because we won't get CWalker back till after 3 games, and Alex Murphy won't be eligible till December. Our team isn't going to really have an opportunity to gel together. I see us struggling early, but we should be ready for March.

iamblades

Oh god this exhibition game is getting me hyped beyond what is reasonable given the competition.

100 points with 8 minutes to go, 6 players in double figures, every player in the first 11 on the depth chart has at least 1 assist.

:eek:

That's sharing the orange.

Not even playing at a fast tempo, but dat 156.4 offensive efficiency.

edit:

ended up 14/16 players who saw minutes got an assist, including walkons, 7 players in double figures.

Fjordson

Oh god this exhibition game is getting me hyped beyond what is reasonable given the competition.

100 points with 8 minutes to go, 6 players in double figures, every player in the first 11 on the depth chart has at least 1 assist.

:eek:

That's sharing the orange.

Not even playing at a fast tempo, but dat 156.4 offensive efficiency.

edit:

ended up 14/16 players who saw minutes got an assist, including walkons, 7 players in double figures.
Yeah, I'm hyped.

I'm liking our outside shooting. Aaron is still hitting from 3, but Booker and Lyles are also delivering in that regard. Good stuff.

iamblades

Yeah, I'm hyped.

I'm liking our outside shooting. Aaron is still hitting from 3, but Booker and Lyles are also delivering in that regard. Good stuff.

Yeah that 2 in a row that Lyles hit, then immediately went to the pump fake and drove for that dunk was fun to watch.

If Lyles can hit that three consistently AND drive that hard to the basket, I don't think there is a player in the country that can guard him given his size.

Fjordson

Early signing period about to start up. Going to be some big 5 stars committing. Hoping UK signs at least one.

Also, this thread is so quiet this year. Really wish sports topics could get back to their former off-topic glory.

Early signing period about to start up. Going to be some big 5 stars committing. Hoping UK signs at least one.

Also, this thread is so quiet this year. Really wish sports topics could get back to their former off-topic glory.

Most of us dont give a crap about basketball until football seasons over or once it starts. Ill be in here posting once the season gets in full swing.

Top Bottom