• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Fjordson

Most of us dont give a crap about basketball until football seasons over or once it starts. Ill be in here posting once the season gets in full swing.
True true, it's still pretty early. I just feel like some of these sports threads would pick up more traffic if they were still in off-topic.

DominoKid

i can already tell interior defense is going to be a problem for this team but overall i like the pieces that we have. this season's going to be way more enjoyable than the last 2.

What's a college basketball? I have no hype or expectations for this season, really. Maybe Lehigh and Mercer have beaten it out of me? Just win a tournament game maybe.

Coach of the team UK played last night got gassed up and said that this UK squad could make the playoffs in the NBA.

I'm all for pre-season hype and shit but NAIA Georgetown come get your coach before he spouts any more foolishness please.

Fjordson

Coach of the team UK played last night got gassed up and said that this UK squad could make the playoffs in the NBA.

I'm all for pre-season hype and shit but NAIA Georgetown come get your coach before he spouts any more foolishness please.
Oh jeez. Hate these quotes :lol

Especially when ESPN and shit runs it. Certain crazier sections of the UK fanbase will actually jump on board with hyperbole like that, bringing back out the 40-0 shirts and shit, making us all look bad.

I think we could be very good, but after the last two years I ain't about to speak on that with certainty before we play a real game.

iamblades

Especially when ESPN and shit runs it. Certain crazier sections of the UK fanbase will actually jump on board with hyperbole like that, bringing back out the 40-0 shirts and shit, making us all look bad.

I think we could be very good, but after the last two years I ain't about to speak on that with certainty before we play a real game.

I've all but stopped trying to predict season records, since so much can change based on how fast the team learns. Last year was a great team as we saw at the end of the year, but it took them most of the regular season to figure things out. This year we should have a bit of a head start given the returning players, but you still have to figure out how all the pieces fit together in the best possible way.

Given the track record a deep post season run is likely almost no matter what happens in the regular season, so I am not really worried about regular season games..

Then again I also never really buy into the idea that high expectations are too much pressure or some nonsense. Without the 40-0 hype from last season would the team have performed much differently? They still ended up runner-ups with their defensive anchor out.

It may have been embarrassing for some of the fans who were especially vocal about it, but who really gives a shit about that.

I say might as well go with it, nothing wrong with being irrationally confident in your team.

Seth C

Most of us dont give a crap about basketball until football seasons over or once it starts. Ill be in here posting once the season gets in full swing.

That's right. Some people have football teams they want to pretend will do anything anyone cares about. THE THE THE

Okay sure but let's be honest, this UK team does have at least 7 players who will eventually start on an NBA roster. I don't think that can be denied and that alone is kinda fucked up. Doesn't mean as a team they will be good though.

Bowser

Couple of 2015 prospects announcing this week:

PJ Dozier (4*, #4 PG) - most likely Louisville. Outside shot that he goes to SCar.
Skal Labissiere (5*, #1 C) - all signs point to UK

edit: 3* PF Luke Maye just committed to UNC. Was down to UNC and Clemson. Not sure if it's as a scholarship or preferred walk-on status.

Fjordson

Couple of 2015 prospects announcing this week:

PJ Dozier (4*, #4 PG) - most likely Louisville. Outside shot that he goes to SCar.
Skal Labissiere (5*, #1 C) - all signs point to UK

edit: 3* PF Luke Maye just committed to UNC. Was down to UNC and Clemson. Not sure if it's as a scholarship or preferred walk-on status.
There is some shady business with Labissiere's guardian. Will be thrilled to get him, but I feel like it could be another Enes Kanter situation. Lots of weird stuff surrounding him down in Memphis. Not that Kanter was shady, just that the NCAA will find something to keep him from playing.

Isaiah Briscoe is also deciding this week, #1 point guard. Between St. John's and UK. UK made a nice late push, but media dudes are saying the home school will win out.

Bowser

There is some shady business with Labissiere's guardian. Will be thrilled to get him, but I feel like it could be another Enes Kanter situation. Lots of weird stuff surrounding him down in Memphis. Not that Kanter was shady, just that the NCAA will find something to keep him from playing.

Isaiah Briscoe is also deciding this week, #1 point guard. Between St. John's and UK. UK made a nice late push, but media dudes are saying the home school will win out.

About that: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...es-guardian-asked-how-to-profit-from-prospect

Labissiere told CBSSports.com in July that skipping college and playing a year overseas before entering the 2016 NBA Draft is a viable option, and sources told CBSSports.com it will remain so regardless of what Labissiere announces Thursday. To that point, sources told CBSSports.com Hamilton has already tried to gauge what kind of market might exist for Labissiere by talking to people who work for at least three different sports agencies, and the prevailing thought is that Hamilton might rather steer Labissiere overseas than deal with what could be a difficult task of getting Labissiere through the NCAA's eligibility center.

"I doubt the kid ever plays one minute in college," said a coach from one of the staffs still recruiting Labissiere. "The whole thing is a mess. I just feel sorry for the kid."

Yikes

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 6m6 minutes ago
@GaryParrishCBS Nice job. Also been told that NCAA has already begun to build a file on Skal and his recruitment.

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 9m9 minutes ago
This is true. RT @GoodmanESPN: @GaryParrishCBS Nice job. Also been told NCAA has already begun to build a file on Skal and his recruitment.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 8m8 minutes ago
@GaryParrishCBS I feel badly for Skal. Seems like a really good kid

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 7m7 minutes ago
@GoodmanESPN He’s an awesome kid, and that’s why this sucks. He deserves better, undeniably.

Basketball season begins tomorrow! Looks like the only somewhat competitive game with a ranked team will be Minnesota v. #8 Louisville. No ranked teams play another ranked team tomorrow.

Fjordson

So glad we got Briscoe. Media guys had Skal to UK days ago, but Briscoe was pretty up in the air it seemed. Was honestly expecting us to lose him to St. John's, but definitely a nice surprise.

iamblades

Yeah, a real mess. Feel like he will either be ineligible or go overseas like Mudiay.

I don't know, we haven't seen the same amount of success with bigs going overseas to develop quickly as we have with guards.

I also haven't seen anything that would impact his eligibility aside from the claims of the guardian demanding pay for play and we heard the same bullshit about AD.

Either way we should have room to gamble on him being eligible and not bailing to go overseas because I don't think all our bigs are going in the draft this year and we will probably (hopefully) still pick up a backup before recruitment is done.. Also Diallo and Skal are supposed to be tight, so Skal coming should put us in favorable status with Diallo who is probably not going to jump to play overseas.

Fjordson

I don't know, we haven't seen the same amount of success with bigs going overseas to develop quickly as we have with guards.

I also haven't seen anything that would impact his eligibility aside from the claims of the guardian demanding pay for play and we heard the same bullshit about AD.

Either way we should have room to gamble on him being eligible and not bailing to go overseas because I don't think all our bigs are going in the draft this year and we will probably (hopefully) still pick up a backup before recruitment is done..
Yeah, reading more into it, seems like a lot of speculation. I'm still wary, but we'll see.

The good news is that he's been taking classes throughout all this. Was reading on twitter that he'll be fine academically, so that's at least one half of the equation taken care.

iamblades

I'd really like to see us get Jaylen Brown this year.

Cal has a tremendous record with point guards and bigs, but we haven't really had a traditionally dominant wing. Would just be interesting to see what we could do differently with a really offensive threat on the wing for once.

I'm not really worried about recruiting though, we should get a couple more guys and things will work out fine.

Fjordson

I'd really like to see us get Jaylen brown this year.

Cal has a tremendous record with point guards and bigs, but we haven't really had a traditionally dominant wing.

I'm not really worried about recruiting though, we should get a couple more guys and things will work out fine.
Yeah, an athletic 3 has eluded us lately for some reason. Stanley Johnson, Wiggins and Kelly Oubre all had us in their final few, but elected to go elsewhere. Honestly haven't had an elite wing since Michael Kidd.

Brown would be awesome, though. Or even Brandon Ingram. We should be in the mix for both until the end.

iamblades

Yeah, an athletic 3 has eluded us lately for some reason. Stanley Johnson, Wiggins and Kelly Oubre all had us in their final few, but elected to go elsewhere. Honestly haven't had an elite wing since Michael Kidd.

Brown would be awesome, though. Or even Brandon Ingram. We should be in the mix for both until the end.

And even MKG of course had the broken jumper and the limited ball handling, hence the 'traditionally dominant'.

I think history has shown that that is the least important position in the NCAA though. Floor spacing and the way the game is called kind of limits the 3 spot to being a spot up shooter in most cases in college.

As far as recruiting goes, this year I was most worried about getting a top PG from this class, since we are almost guaranteed to have a returning PG for a change in Ulis. But I guess at some point if you are considering coming to UK you aren't concerned with the competition, no matter the position. Now we will have some options at the PG spot for 2 years in a row. Not having the hand over complete control of the team to a freshman every year is a nice thing.

Fjordson

And even MKG of course had the broken jumper and the limited ball handling, hence the 'traditionally dominant'.

I think history has shown that that is the least important position in the NCAA though. Floor spacing and the way the game is called kind of limits the 3 spot to being a spot up shooter in most cases in college.

As far as recruiting goes, this year I was most worried about getting a top PG from this class, since we are almost guaranteed to have a returning PG for a change in Ulis. But I guess at some point if you are considering coming to UK you aren't concerned with the competition, no matter the position. Now we will have some options at the PG spot for 2 years in a row. Not having the hand over complete control of the team to a freshman every year is a nice thing.
Agreed. And Briscoe has played some shooting guard in high school and AAU, so he and Ulis could be a nasty on-court combo next year.

For the rest of this class I'm confident we'll sign another top 15 big (Zimmerman, Bragg or Diallo) and I'm hoping we can sign Jaylen Brown or Brandon Ingram.

Bowser

Funny enough but Brown and Ingram are the only two left on the recruiting board for UNC.

I was confident on Ingram considering how long Roy's been on him and how many times he's come on campus, but it's dragged out for a while now that I've lost that confidence.

Hoping we'll get one of them. No confidence on Brown, considering how late to the game UNC is, but that would be a nice get:

Brown reiterated that he would definitely visit North Carolina. When asked if a date had been set up, he said they are “working on it.”

Brown took recent official visits to Kansas, Kentucky and UCLA. He’s also been to Georgia and Georgia Tech for unofficial visits. As of now, he said he plans to sign in the spring.

The Tar Heels entered his recruitment early last month, at which point Brown said, "North Carolina came in a little bit late, but North Carolina is a great university and you can’t just knock them off the list ... I always thought of myself as going to North Carolina," he said. "It’s a great university. That was my dream school growing up, believe it or not."

North Carolina has an offer out to one additional small forward - in-state standout Brandon Ingram - who has been a frequent visitor to the Smith Center the last few years. However, Ingram is now considering waiting until the spring to sign as well.

That's right. Some people have football teams they want to pretend will do anything anyone cares about. THE THE THE

Okay sure but let's be honest, this UK team does have at least 7 players who will eventually start on an NBA roster. I don't think that can be denied and that alone is kinda fucked up. Doesn't mean as a team they will be good though.

I'm curious. What are your thoughts about the interruption of the IU-UK rivalry.

iamblades

I'm curious. What are your thoughts about the interruption of the IU-UK rivalry.

The consensus among UK fans(not to speak for Seth) is that:

a) IU hasn't been a legitimate rival for UK in decades, they were at best the 7th 8th biggest games on UK's schedule the last couple years of the series, and much lower than that for the decade before. UL, UNC, Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, etc are all bigger games than IU.
b) After the way IU fans reacted after that win in 2012, if we never play in assembly hall again it will be too soon.

The main thing being that UK simply doesn't need that game on our schedule, if IU's fans are going to be classless jerks to our fans and players, we can go and schedule any of a dozen other better basketball programs in their place.

The consensus among UK fans(not to speak for Seth) is that:

a) IU hasn't been a legitimate rival for UK in decades, they were at best the 7th 8th biggest games on UK's schedule the last couple years of the series, and much lower than that for the decade before. UL, UNC, Florida, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, etc are all bigger games than IU.
b) After the way IU fans reacted after that win in 2012, if we never play in assembly hall again it will be too soon.

The main thing being that UK simply doesn't need that game on our schedule, if IU's fans are going to be classless jerks to our fans and players, we can go and schedule any of a dozen other better basketball programs in their place.

I remember fans rushing the court after hitting a game winning 3 in that game. Where did the disrespect come into play?

Speak for yourself, some of our schools don't field anything resembling a "competitive football team"!

In entirely unrelated news, the Illini start the basketball season Friday night! YEAAAAAH!

And apparently our likely second or perhaps first best player Kendrick Nunn sat out all summer with a nagging knee injury. NOOOOOOOO!!

iamblades

I remember fans rushing the court after hitting a game winning 3 in that game. Where did the disrespect come into play?

UK fans in the stands were verbally abused enough that the IU AD came out after the game and apologized, the crowd chanted 'FUCK UK' the whole game, Darius Miller damn near got trampled by morons rushing the court(which should never happen at a school with the history of IU, have some goddamn dignity), etc.

Bottomline is that UK can make more money from neutral site games and they can schedule more difficult opponents than IU like Kansas and Texas this year, so why should the series continue, if they are going to be treated that way. IU overestimated their leverage and importance in the negotiations, so the series is over.

ETA: UK fans aren't even really super mad about the fan behavior, as it's more comically desperate than anything, but it's enough of a reason not to play a series with a 'historic rival' that has been a 17-5 stomp since 1990.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
My predictions for B1G standings......

1. Wisconsin
2. Illinois
3. Michigan
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan State
6. Nebraska
7. Iowa
8. Minnesota
9. Indiana
10. Maryland
11. Purdue
12. Northwestern
13. Penn state
14. Rutgers.

lush

lol. Mizzou, Tenn, Arky, and maybe SCAR will be in the mix. Vandy and LSU are dark horses. The rest of the conference is trash.
Tennessee is going to be garbage this year. Pretty sure we're picked last by most, understandably since we bring back one starter and two big contributors. Everything else was juco/transfer/project. Our administration has effectively killed another athletic program with another stellar hire/apathy. As if our inept AD/athletic mediocrity isn't enough here comes the NCAA with some bullshit about improper benefits being given to some kid at Southern Miss. Like we've not been bent over enough by them in the last decade. Such a transparent organization with who they decide to go for when.

I'm sure the NCAA will drag their feet with their ruling but yeah, some quickness would be nice so we can either move on or go hire from the dumpster again. To think Ben Howland was too dirty when it was hiring time....

This is what it's like to be a Tennessee fan. But I'm a glutton for punishment, line is only +8 tonight @VCU so hopefully we look competitive.

My predictions for B1G standings......

1. Wisconsin
2. Illinois
3. Michigan
4. Ohio State
5. Michigan State
6. Nebraska
7. Iowa
8. Minnesota
9. Indiana
10. Maryland
11. Purdue
12. Northwestern
13. Penn state
14. Rutgers.

I love that you have Illinois at #2 (I do think they are finishing top 3, dumbass pundits) and I also love that you're not buying the Nebraska hype.

Clemson ain't beating UNC in Chapel Hill.

It's not happening.*

Not in my lifetime. Not in your lifetime. Not ever.

*This assumes that the NCAA doesn't scorch the earth down at the Hill and take half their schollys for a couple of years. Those dudes will be so basura that Clemson will have no choice but to beat them.

Anyway basketball!!!!

The #DriveForFive starts in 45 minutes.

Clemson ain't beating UNC in Chapel Hill.

It's not happening.*

Not in my lifetime. Not in your lifetime. Not ever.

*This assumes that the NCAA doesn't scorch the earth down at the Hill and take half their schollys for a couple of years. Those dudes will be so basura that Clemson will have no choice but to beat them.

Anyway basketball!!!!

The #DriveForFive starts in 45 minutes.

Stealing hashtags from last year's San Antonio Spurs are you?

Fjordson

Any games coming on at 4? Tryna make this last hour of the work week go by faster.

edit: gonna watch Duke on ESPNU. Thank you multiple monitors!

Top Bottom