• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

In other news, based off the last few games, its looks like Tyus is trying to get to the Association. Granted, his defensive liability is a big part of the reason why they are playing zone in the first place on defense (and NBA teams don't take too kindly to guards who can't...guard) but he's putting in the work on offense.

Somebody's been feeding him some terrible advice. He's not NBA ready. Not by a long shot.

Man, if Jonny Flynn could get all the way to 6th overall, you can't say bottom of the first round is as high as he ever will be.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Probabilities. Do people work their way higher with more experience? Yes, it happens, just not that often. Most guys slip further and further in the draft because all things held equal (and some things not), scouts go for potential.

I'm not saying another year or three in college wouldn't help him get better as a player, because it would. It might even make his NBA career last longer. Or maybe it doesn't, and he gives away money on the front end by missing a guaranteed first round deal.

Probabilities. Do people work their way higher with more experience? Yes, it happens, just not that often. Most guys slip further and further in the draft because all things held equal (and some things not), scouts go for potential.

I'm not saying another year or three in college wouldn't help him get better as a player, because it would. It might even make his NBA career last longer. Or maybe it doesn't, and he gives away money on the front end by missing a guaranteed first round deal.

Sounds like some kind of study somebody should do with Chad Ford's draft board.

But, you know, that ship's sailed.

All fair. the level of play in college basketball is horrendous at the moment. Never thought there'd be a day when I would watch archived Euro-ball on YouTube over regular season college basketball, but it's happened.

Pollux

Sounds like some kind of study somebody should do with Chad Ford's draft board.

But, you know, that ship's sailed.

All fair. the level of play in college basketball is horrendous at the moment. Never thought there'd be a day when I would watch archived Euro-ball on YouTube over regular season college basketball, but it's happened.

Shot clock needs to be shortened and the refs need to pick their shit up or be replaced. Easier said than done, I know, but those two changes alone would fix about 50% of what's wrong with college basketball.

Fjordson

This is on point for the most part. Lots of shit weighing down the game.

A good college basketball game is still one of the best things you'll see in sports, so it's sad that those are far from a given these days in the regular season. I still watch a lot all year because I'm a big fan, but college bball has become a one month sport for a lot of people I know. Maybe a month and a half if you want to throw in the end of conference play.

Pollux

This is on point for the most part. Lots of shit weighing down the game.

A good college basketball game is still one of the best things you'll see in sports, so it's sad that those are far from a given these days in the regular season. I still watch a lot all year because I'm a big fan, but college bball has become a one month sport for a lot of people I know. Maybe a month and a half if you want to throw in the end of conference play.

Same here, I was talking to a guy at work today and he was surprised I actually watched regular season games.

The standard of basketball being played in college during the regular season is unbelievably poor. The NCAAT is barely better (and I'm not just saying that as a bitter Duke fan).

I'm with Fellows on college being more watchable than the NBA.

I don't think that either is in a great state right now though.

The NBA's problem has more to due with talent spread too thin and too many games than pure quality of the play, though. If it's 2 good teams actually playing hard, it's great. It's usually not.

(also, referees on power trips)

jakncoke

Banned
Unless they give Pittsburgh a expansion team i cant see myself caring to follow the nba also this season is madness. Newkirk needs to contribute more , really thought he'd have more of role this year

I'm with Fellows on college being more watchable than the NBA.

I don't think that either is in a great state right now though.

The NBA's problem has more to due with talent spread too thin and too many games than pure quality of the play, though. If it's 2 good teams actually playing hard, it's great. It's usually not.

(also, referees on power trips)

I don't understand this perception at all. This is the best talent boom in 20 years.

God I'd rather watch the thoroughly depressing Lakers than that UVA Rutgers abomination.

Whatever the hell that 45-26 game was, it was not basketball. Not even close.

I don't understand this perception at all. This is the best talent boom in 20 years.

God I'd rather watch the thoroughly depressing Lakers than that UVA Rutgers abomination.

Whatever the hell that 45-26 game was, it was not basketball. Not even close.
In the all star game they put up 300 points. Is that your idea of basketball?

Why not watch a shootaround if all you want is made baskets?

In the all star game they put up 300 points. Is that your idea of basketball?

Why not watch a shootaround if all you want is made baskets?

You do have a point, a shootaround is better than watching this:

FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TOP F PTS
Rutgers: 12-48 0-13 2-3 7 25 32 4 4 5 12 11 26

I love college basketball. Duke is the only team that I can rightfully call my own. And to see it reduced to this pisses me off.

breh do you even watch the nba? the ASG is an exhibition. you're supposed to score a bunch of points
Most regular season NBA games are exhibitions. As a general rule, I watch the NBA playoffs, and very little regular season basketball. This is a strategy honed over the years. Regular season games don't matter. Teams treat them like they don't matter.

You do have a point, a shootaround is better than watching this:

FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TOP F PTS
Rutgers: 12-48 0-13 2-3 7 25 32 4 4 5 12 11 26
I'm glad you came out and said it!

If the low scoring in college was purely a function of great defense being played that would be one thing. It's not. There are maybe five-ten great defensive teams in the country with UK and UVA leading them.

There's mostly just A LOT of terrible offense.

Fjordson

Yeah, I don't see much of any major problems with the NBA right now. The game is in a great place. Polar opposite of the college game.

chris121580

Nothing would make me happier than bouncing back and destroying Purdue at home tonight. I saw Painter said he will not be playing Hammons and Haas at the same time...good plan Painter. Don't use your only advantage

thefro

Nothing would make me happier than bouncing back and destroying Purdue at home tonight. I saw Painter said he will not be playing Hammons and Haas at the same time...good plan Painter. Don't use your only advantage

That's going to be a very interesting game.

Indiana has no size and Purdue has 2 good, albeit slow (when Hammons actually tries) 7-footers.

If Duke manages to somehow beat ND and UVA, they would have beaten more top ten teams on the road this year than they have in the past thirteen years combined.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
We're just barely missing a ton of shots around the rim, throwing the ball away left and right, yet we somehow still are ahead at halftime.

I hope this knee thing bothering Jah doesn't linger all season. At first I thought it was his toe and almost lost it.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Can't win in the road when you miss this many FTs and layups. Oh well, GG ND, but we lost this one ourselves.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
10 missed FTs and 10 missed layups. Christ I didn't realize it was that bad

Top Bottom