• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus no one wants to win this game. 2 missed FTs by a 91% shooter...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Paige almost had that, great play by Roy, Justise finally made the defensive stop.

Hey Roy, what happened?

choking-291x300.jpg

Tyus Jones balled out though.

Why does Duke have so few scholarship players? Think they said 8 or 9. I know about Sulaimon, but that seems low.

Also: GREAT game

They had a guy transfer between semesters, too. 10 guys would normally be enough, given Coach K likes short rotations. But they lost energy and offense with Sulaimon. They'd be short with bigs either way.

Matugi

I'm gonna cry, but what a terribly officiated game on both ends. From the fucked up charge calls on both sides to failing to do the 5 second call on the in bounds, it was terrible.

But this. Fucking. Bullshit.

B-LqD_iCIAAsExG.jpg

On the game tying basket in regulation. Fuck that.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed. Not that they'd ever call it but he smacked Paige right in the face.

Didn't look that way live (only saw contact around the hands/arms/ball) but I haven't seen any replays. Have a Vine handy?

DominoKid

good game.

we played above our heads until our old reliable albatross pulled us back down to earth.

idk how much more roy williams basketball i can take if he's not gonna have teams that coach themselves.
xobeNtJ.gif

Bowser

Didn't look that way live (only saw contact around the hands/arms/ball) but I haven't seen any replays. Have a Vine handy?

Watching it a few more times and I recant, it was a good no call. Can't post the vine from my iPhone for some reason, link won't copy over.

The Winslow hug on the tying basket in regulation tho...cmon.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Watching it a few more times and I recant, it was a good no call. Can't post the vine from my iPhone for some reason, link won't copy over.

The Winslow hug on the tying basket in regulation tho...cmon.

Yeah I didn't catch that live, but the screencap looks pretty damning. I'm gonna go with he got pushed into Tokoto ; )

Game was pretty physical for the bigs overall, lots of contact inside with few calls.

Now the big question is: how much is Jah's ankle going to swell tonight after the meds/whatever secret injection he got in the locker room wear off?

Matugi

If Duke wants to go anywhere in the tourney they're going to have to learn to play post defense. UNC scored over 60 points in the paint. I mean I'm not happy we lost but unless Okafor learns to give a shit on the defensive end I can't see them going far at a time of year where play is always super physical down low.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
If Duke wants to go anywhere in the tourney they're going to have to learn to play post defense. UNC scored over 60 points in the paint. I mean I'm not happy we lost but unless Okafor learns to give a shit on the defensive end I can't see them going far at a time of year where play is always super physical down low.

Okafor is a pretty mediocre defender, but give the dude a break this game. He rolled his ankle really badly in the first half (there was an audible gasp in the bar I watched the game in when the replays showed, from fans of both teams).

Also, a good chunk of those points I bet were on offensive boards. UNC is the 2nd best rebounding team in the country.

Matugi

Okafor is a pretty mediocre defender, but give the dude a break this game. He sprained his ankle pretty badly in the first half (there was an audible gasp in the bar I watched the game in when the replays showed, from fans of both teams).

Also, a good chunk of those points I bet were on offensive boards. UNC is the 2nd best rebounding team in the country.

It's not just this game, though, where Okafor has struggled defensively. Even before the injury he was conceding the lane pretty regularly. It was through the post that UNC was able to overcome an early deficit that at other point during the season would have turned this game into a blowout.

There's a reason Duke concedes the most points in the paint per game in the ACC.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just this game, though, where Okafor has struggled defensively. Even before the injury he was conceding the lane pretty regularly. It was through the post that UNC was able to overcome an early deficit that at other point during the season would have turned this game into a blowout.

There's a reason Duke concedes the most points in the paint per game in the ACC.

With an 8 man rotation, with a backup of Marshall Plumlee (and no one else), Okafor can't really afford to try to aggressively challenge shots.

The bigger surprise to me is that we didn't switch to a zone to take care of this very problem tonight.

Matugi

With an 8 man rotation, with a backup of Marshall Plumlee (and no one else), Okafor can't really afford to try to aggressively challenge shots.

The bigger surprise to me is that we didn't switch to a zone to take care of this very problem tonight.

Plumlee is a decent defender and foul-absorber. And with regards to the zone, I'm not sure, either. UNC can't shoot and the strength is through to post. On the other hand, the huge advantage in the post on the offensive boards would have led to even more second chance points, so it's a double-edged sword.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Plumlee is a decent defender and foul-absorber. And with regards to the zone, I'm not sure, either. UNC can't shoot and the strength is through to post. On the other hand, the huge advantage in the post on the offensive boards would have led to even more second chance points, so it's a double-edged sword.

Plumlee > Jah on defense
Jah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Plumlee on offense

Jah is our entire offense. The ball touches his hands on almost every play. He opens up so much for our shooters. If he's out of the game, we're screwed (the ND game was a weird exception, because we literally couldn't miss and ND basically doesn't have a player taller than 6'5)

Matugi

Plumlee > Jah on defense
Jah >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Plumlee on offense

Jah is our entire offense. The ball touches his hands on almost every play. He opens up so much for our shooters. If he's out of the game, we're screwed (the ND game was a weird exception, because we literally couldn't miss and ND basically doesn't have a player taller than 6'5)

Yeah Jah is without a doubt the best post player I've seen at the college level. That beind said I'm far more afraid of Cook. I was telling friends before the game that the one player that scares me the most is Cook because the guy just does not miss open 3s. He was other-worldly tonighr.

Fjordson

Okafor has always looked crummy on defense. Even in all-star games before the season (wow @ the 62 points in the paint today).

But they're #8 on KenPom in Adjusted D somehow so who knows (not that KenPom is the end all and be all of rankings).

Matugi

Okafor has always looked crummy on defense. Even in all-star games before the season (wow @ the 62 points in the paint today).

But they're #8 on KenPom in Adjusted D somehow so who knows (not that KenPom is the end all and be all of rankings).

Kenpom has them #56 on Adj D

Now that I'm calm (and sober) what a game last night.

As a Duke fan, it was way too close and way too stressful. As much as I bemoan Virginia playing no fun basketball, I don't necessarily want defense to cease to exist either. Let them score so you can turn up the floor and run is Roy's MO but I know K would be mad as fire had they lost that game letting them score at will like that. He's probably still mad as fire and they won. And most of that's on the post players. Jah, even before the injury, was letting Meeks eat (no irony intended). Amile was useless. Even on the few times their first shot defense was OK, no one could get a rebound so UNC ate with second chance points. At least Cook put the clamps on Paige.

Offensively they scored well, but I expected that because UNC can't stop a fly with one wing. They were still too cavalier with the ball (not the first game this year where they had a bunch of unforced turnovers).

I wasn't in a position to comment on too strongly on the refs other than they were college bad as usual. Hess was probably chilling at the crib laughing at some of the calls made in that one. On both sides.

But it's yet another game where they managed to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. Huck notwithstanding (and what was with him being chummy with Cook after Meeks threw the ball out of bounds on the inbound? If I were a Carolina fan that would have me feeling a type of way), Carolina should have won that game. But Tyus and Quinn rescued Duke yet again.

As a fan of basketball, I have roll the mental rolodex back a ways to find a Duke-UNC game that good. Everyone jumps to RIVERS, but I remember that game being more just a complete collapse on UNC's part than a great game. Maybe 2011 Cameron where Seth Curry and Nolan Smith brought Duke back from the brink? Maybe as far back as 2005 Dean Dome with Sean May, Marvin Williams, McCants, and all them?

Karl2177

I'm glad to see that other teams are using the high offense style of play and doing well. I'm not a fan of Duke or UNC, but that game was really entertaining to watch.

I wanted to watch the ISU/OSU game, but Mediacom doesn't offer ESPNU in their default package for a college town...

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
BTW, that was a great game last night. Tyus showed some serious clutch skills.. he refused to lose that game.

I surprised Jah came back from that ankle.. looked nasty.. and he was clutch down the stretch.. such great offensive skills for a big at that age... defense for bigs like him take time.. he didn't need to be great defensively ever before... his size was enough in high school... college is the first time you go against bigs that have real offensive skill and size to match for the most part. I can excuse poor defense out of guys like him to start with.. because where do you learn it in High School.. there's just typically not enough guys that require high level defense against..

iamblades

As a Duke fan, it was way too close and way too stressful. As much as I bemoan Virginia playing no fun basketball, I don't necessarily want defense to cease to exist either. Let them score so you can turn up the floor and run is Roy's MO but I know K would be mad as fire had they lost that game letting them score at will like that. He's probably still mad as fire and they won. And most of that's on the post players. Jah, even before the injury, was letting Meeks eat (no irony intended). Amile was useless. Even on the few times their first shot defense was OK, no one could get a rebound so UNC ate with second chance points. At least Cook put the clamps on Paige.

Offensively they scored well, but I expected that because UNC can't stop a fly with one wing. They were still too cavalier with the ball (not the first game this year where they had a bunch of unforced turnovers).

I wasn't in a position to comment on too strongly on the refs other than they were college bad as usual. Hess was probably chilling at the crib laughing at some of the calls made in that one. On both sides.

But it's yet another game where they managed to pull victory from the jaws of defeat. Huck notwithstanding (and what was with him being chummy with Cook after Meeks threw the ball out of bounds on the inbound? If I were a Carolina fan that would have me feeling a type of way), Carolina should have won that game. But Tyus and Quinn rescued Duke yet again.

As a fan of basketball, I have roll the mental rolodex back a ways to find a Duke-UNC game that good. Everyone jumps to RIVERS, but I remember that game being more just a complete collapse on UNC's part than a great game. Maybe 2011 Cameron where Seth Curry and Nolan Smith brought Duke back from the brink? Maybe as far back as 2005 Dean Dome with Sean May, Marvin Williams, McCants, and all them?

Of course, defense is completely separate from holding the ball at the top of the key for the first 10 seconds of every possession(which is actually something that UK also does way too much of, especially in games where we have a lead, and it almost always leads right into letting the other team back into the game). You can have defense and an exciting play style.

Pace is not the only (or even primary) problem with college basketball though, it is more of a symptom or the main problem, that college basketball is way way too physical, inside and out. This may seem odd as a lot of the hard fouling and outright fighting of the 80s and 90s has been taken out of the game, but in exchange refs will allow you to bump ball handlers completely out of their path, you can just about use judo takedowns to secure rebounds, you can just jump on top of someone for a held ball tie up (This one I really want to know when it started, guy falls down with the ball, just football pile on top of him and get rewarded, that shit ain't hustle it's assault).

Lots of things need to be updated, I'd start with a defensive 3 second rule and a wider key, along with the 30 second shot clock that is almost inevitable at this point. I'm thinking a longer 3 point line would be good for college spacing as well, I don't really buy the idea that another foot or two is too much for college shooters to handle, sure 3p% would drop slightly, but it would make it much more difficult to double the post from the wing without giving up the open shot.

I would say they need to start calling the bumping and handchecking, but first we would need competent refs, which are seriously lacking in all of college basketball it seems(which is understandable of course, reffing such a fast paced game is extremely difficult and there are probably only a couple dozen people on the planet that are actually good at it and most of them are probably working for the NBA).

The defensive three second call would help with the handchecking and bumping on the perimeter a bit, because it is harder to put on pressure like that if you don't have a big man just sitting in the paint waiting if the guy beats you off the dribble.

Lots of things I'm convinced will never get fixed, like the block charge call(which is even somewhat of a problem in the NBA), because it seems no one involved actually even understands the rule. If I hear one more announcer talking about how it's not a block because the guys feet were set of vice versa...

It is way too easy for a secondary defender to draw a charge by dangerously jumping into the path of a driving player who is already committed to his motion, and it is way too difficult for a primary defender to draw a charge when his man just drops his shoulder and bulls him out of the way.

The 'feet set' misunderstanding that even refs have is bad for the game in other ways then just getting the call wrong though, as it encourages the defensive player to just stand there and get run over without making any play on the ball at all, because they won't get the charge call if they attempt a block. Which is wrong, if you are in legal guarding position you can jump if you want, it should still be a charge if the offensive player runs into you. You can sidestep to maintain LGP(ie if your opponent tries to eurostep, if you are quick enough to stay in front of him, that should be a charge not a block). A rules interpretation that encourages a defensive player to rely on the whistle and put his hands down and just stand there is not good for the game. The defender should be encouraged to challenge the shot.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

95 and 2005 were good. Duhon's coast to coast in 04 at the dean dome was a classic. Redick denying McCants in 05 was also a really good game. The 05 Heels and Devils were probably the most evenly matched since the early 90's teams, though I think UNC had more depth.

UNC had 83 shots last night (!!!). Holy shit.

I'd say that 90 points on 83 shots is Kobe level chucking, but when half of those shots come off offensive rebounds and the team still shoots 46 percent, it's OK.

95 and 2005 were good. Duhon's coast to coast in 04 at the dean dome was a classic. Redick denying McCants in 05 was also a really good game. The 05 Heels and Devils were probably the most evenly matched since the early 90's teams, though I think UNC had more depth.

Yep. Both 05 games were classics.

Looking back at the replay, I think that 05 game in Cameron was the last time they actually had thoughts of storming the court. Just thoughts though.

chris121580

FML. Always more painful than usual to lose to Purdue. You guys probably should've won by about 20 if you had Hammons and Haas touch the ball every possession. We had no answer down low. We're fucked again next season if Crean can't get a big guy

chris121580

Crean sucks
B-QM6feIUAAIpp2.jpg

No idea why he thought he could use the same crappy gameplan as last game.

We made a lot of mistakes tonight. Horrible D down low, costly turnovers, not being able to rebound the ball and when we tried, we'd knock it out of bounds, and we couldn't hit a 3 to save our life. I can't believe Hartman passed up that wide open 3 to give it to Troy on the wing behind the 3 point line...you shoot that

Amory

So depressing watching UConn play like crap against garbage opponents this season. Just a glimpse of what's to come as we die on the vine in this joke conference.

thefro

So depressing watching UConn play like crap against garbage opponents this season. Just a glimpse of what's to come as we die on the vine in this joke conference.

You guys can hire Crean after we get Stevens. He can take you all the way back to being in the Top 25 every 4 years after 6 years of rebuilding.

Crean is great at producing awkward looking photos and gifs.

At least we will be back in the tournament, more than likely. Still frustrated. Whatever. Looking forward to baseball season GO CUBS GO.

Yogi is 0-2 in potential game winning shots from the top of the key this past week......yet he wants to go pro? (sample size yes, but whatever)

Not even a surefire 1st rd pick.

I love him.....best pg IU has had since Isiah.......but he'd be foolish to turn pro after this year.

Top Bottom