• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

So DukeGAF, our BFF the almighty walking boot has returned. It is firmly planted on Jah's foot and he is questionable for Clemson.

At this point, I'd just say let Marshall cook. We have literally no big depth at all though.

chris121580

Yogi is 0-2 in potential game winning shots from the top of the key this past week......yet he wants to go pro? (sample size yes, but whatever)

Not even a surefire 1st rd pick.

I love him.....best pg IU has had since Isiah.......but he'd be foolish to turn pro after this year.

Yeah, I hope he stays next year and hope Troy realizes that if he takes another year to polish his skills, that he could be a top pick in the draft next year. Crean has to get a big guy this off season or we're just going to run into the same problems we have this year. I have to hand it to Painter, he's had a good game plan in both games. He knows if he slows the pace of the game down, they have a huge advantage

iamblades

Yogi is 0-2 in potential game winning shots from the top of the key this past week......yet he wants to go pro? (sample size yes, but whatever)

Not even a surefire 1st rd pick.

I love him.....best pg IU has had since Isiah.......but he'd be foolish to turn pro after this year.

Pro potential has nothing to do with college performance, especially something as flukey as game winners. Hell, LeBron had a shitty record in game winners for years after he was dominating the NBA. Game winning shots or 'clutch' situations are so rare that they are basically useless statistically, the expected variance and the small sample size make it impossible to derive any meaning from them.

Not that this means he is ready for the NBA, but in almost any situation(ie. unless you were stuck on the bench behind a no. 1 draft pick and weren't able to show what you could do), if a team says they are going to give you a guaranteed deal, you go. He is not going to improve his stock as a 21 year old 6 ft zero point guard prospect in college, at this point his best chance of making it in the league is to find a team that like what he does and is willing to commit to a rookie contract(even if they draft him in the second round a la Jodie Meeks). This will give him a couple years to work his way into a spot in the rotation with full time practicing and professional training.

If he comes back at best he is going to tread water and get drafted in the same spot the next year, I can't remember the last time a guy came back for his senior year and moved up substantially in the draft. At that point you are a known commodity, and the only thing that happens if scouts get more film to pick apart your weaknesses.

ETA: This is also related to why it was so ridiculous that people all of the sudden had Aaron as a POY candidate based on his performance in the NCAA's last year. Giant overreaction to like 4-5 shots.

Though I do believe the twins are much better NBA prospects than most people think they will be, simply because of their size. They have their obvious weaknesses(Andrew trying to draw fouls on layup attempts instead of going strong and finishing the shot, and Aaron's shot selection/chucking), but they aren't able to fully utilize their size by posting up smaller guards on this Kentucky team because there is simply no room to post up a guard. I don't know if either of them will be NBA stars, but I'd take Aaron as my irrational confidence guy 6th man any day, and I think Andrew will be a serviceable PG on a team that doesn't need him to drive and create for himself (there are a lot of teams like this in the NBA actually). I think the rules and reffing in the NBA also really really fit big guards/wings more than the college rules do.

jakncoke

Banned
Chris Jones def showed the fuck up

edit: ffs this game..

edit: fucking christmas

edit: lol

edit4: always a good feeling winning up at cuse

Roy shat on the fans for not being loud enough in the Dean Dome

People have been wondering how to make that building louder since its been built. The problem principally IMO is that almost all of the lower deck seats are given to alums, rich donors, and general people who either think themselves too dignified (or are too old to have the energy to) cheer for college basketball. The students get the shaft and most are entirely too far away from the court. I probably wouldn't even show up if I had to watch the game from behind Michael Jordan's retired jersey the whole time.

I get that DES is an expensive building and UNC helps keep funding it by rewarding donors with primetime seats. But I think that turning on the TV and seeing a bunch of quiet geriatric olds in blue sweater vests is hurting the team's rep.

I don't know, that's just my two cents. Bowser your thoughts?

Edit: On an unrelated note, umm...what happened to Louisville?

Jahlil Okafor will NOT be playing against Clemson. Marshall Plumlee will start in his place.

It begins again.

Kyrie-Irving.jpg

2013-02-13-duke-kelly-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

DominoKid

The crowd sucks cause its a bunch of old motherfuckers who have seen it all so they arent impressed by this mediocre team. Let a team full of future nba players come through and it will be decent again.

Really bad showing from Justise Winslow tonight.

EDIT: If Grover tented for this shit, I feel terrible for him.

Since I just saw this post, I tented for the last three years. I was going to feel some type of way had they lost that game this year since its my last one.

I had the good sense not to tent freshman year (2012) because I knew that RIVERS was a total flukejob and UNC would kick the piss out of them in Cameron. There's a special place in my heart for those poor fools who did tent though.

This is twice now when Duke slapped the fire out of a team playing largely without Jah.

Hmmm...

It's also twice they've played against a team that couldn't hurt them down low.

Winslow was unstoppable in the first half, driving at will. I like how aggressive he has been over the past several games, and being healthy helps. And then Quinn Cook took over the second half. That dude has really put together a strong senior year, which is awesome considering how erratic he could be.

Bowser

People have been wondering how to make that building louder since its been built. The problem principally IMO is that almost all of the lower deck seats are given to alums, rich donors, and general people who either think themselves too dignified (or are too old to have the energy to) cheer for college basketball. The students get the shaft and most are entirely too far away from the court. I probably wouldn't even show up if I had to watch the game from behind Michael Jordan's retired jersey the whole time.

I get that DES is an expensive building and UNC helps keep funding it by rewarding donors with primetime seats. But I think that turning on the TV and seeing a bunch of quiet geriatric olds in blue sweater vests is hurting the team's rep.

The crowd sucks cause its a bunch of old motherfuckers who have seen it all so they arent impressed by this mediocre team. Let a team full of future nba players come through and it will be decent again.

Yep, it just is what it is. I agree with Roy, but no matter what he says, the old ass geriatric folks in baby blue sweaters refuse to make noise. The Dome itself is a pretty big stadium (~22,000 capacity vs 9,300 for Cameron Indoor), so when all the students are about as far away from the court as you can get, the cheers just get lost in catacombs.

It just is what it is. We will never have a home court advantage except for those rare Duke games when the old fucks decide they might as well get off their ass for one game.

I mean hell, there's a reason a Chapel Hill apparel start up, Thrill City (the guys who made the Duke4Dean thing a reality), whipped up this design for a shirt a few weeks ago:

http://www.thrillcitync.com/news/2015/2/7/creating-the-cheesewine-graphic

iamblades

Rupp has the same issue of rich old boosters in all the good seats, but honestly, I find the super hyped up 'college atmosphere' arenas to be more annoying than good, which is why I don't miss us playing in Assembly Hall. I'll take the bluehairs sitting on their hands in the front row over dumbass court storming and the ever classy 'bullshit' and 'fuck (insert team name here)' chants.

The best of both worlds is a crowd that knows when to get loud, not just constant meaningless noise. Rupp fits that pretty well in most cases(dunno about the dean dome, never been there). The home winning percentage proves this out as well, you don't need all that nonsense to have a home court advantage if you have a knowledgeable fanbase.

I know this might seem like heresy to some of the purists of the college game who are all about the atmosphere and the experience, but honestly, I just want to see a good game.

There are places that seem(from a distance anyway) to strike a nice balance between the two, Allen Fieldhouse being top of my list. Plenty loud, but a relatively classy fanbase that doesn't engage in the kind of behavior that goes on in some other arenas.

I'm pretty sure Cal could play 3 on 5 for the rest of the game and still increase the lead.

Hell, I'm pretty sure Cal could run out there himself and hold his own on the court.

iamblades

They've basically stopped playing defense the last 25 minutes of the game, because they know auburn can't stop them at all.

I ain't even mad though.

iamblades

Arizona starting out this game sloppy as hell.

EDIT: When did the bricklayers union start playing basketball?

This game is UGLY.

I didn't know McLovin was on UA. :p

Fjordson

Nice win for UK today. Turned into a bit of a free for all shoot around towards the end, but the offense looked great.

Also, St. Mary's is currently beating Gonzaga by 15. Wow.

iamblades

Nice win for UK today. Turned into a bit of a free for all shoot around towards the end, but the offense looked great.

Also, St. Mary's is currently beating Gonzaga by 15. Wow.

Part of me wants that just so I don't have to hear media people talking about how they deserve a 1 seed anymore. They have played no one, there is no way they deserve a 1 seed over UVA/Wisc/Duke/Nova, hell, maybe even Utah or Arizona(though they don't look like it tonight) deserve a 1 seed over them.

DominoKid

it pains me to see Winslow go up while Justin Jackson struggles.

hope Jackson can step it way up next year. wouldnt be surprised to see Winslow in the nba tho.

iamblades

I think those are hopefully just uniforms Nike will use once, like they did those nasty gray uniforms a couple season back that a bunch of Nike schools wore.

from: https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/568903545870626816

B-UmwqDCUAAcOfP.png:large

I like the current "throwback" (to never) uniforms Duke uses, certainly better than those watermark uniforms they've worn for a few years (as I've repeatedly said).

The outline letters are fucking dumb and make most of them completely illegible at a distance(aside from Duke and Uconn). I mean really, look at this horseshit:

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/photos?gameId=400597407&photoId=4553938#photo_4554059

Hurts my eyes, and between that and removing all the blue from the rest of the uni, there is just way too much white.

Go back to the solid blue lettering and I'm fine with it, although the goofy patterns on the shorts are pointless.

Ideally, just take the one we used from 2010-2013 and take the goofy ghost pattern off the back and you're done.

Also bring back the bolded back for some special games, as it was the best of these one off runs that Nike has done in a long time(I'd either remove the checkerboard from the side or make them solid though, that dotted pattern doesn't do it for me):

YqsX9zQ.jpg

Could be worse though, we could be an Adidas school. :shudders:

iamblades

Also does anyone know where I can buy one of those blue warmup jackets with the small block lettered kentucky on the chest the team has been rocking all year before this game? The only ones I can find in stores have the UK logo instead, can only find sweatshirts with the block letters.

Top Bottom