• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Purdue should be on the safe side of the fence. Not sure if they're a lock yet, but they needed this win.

Illinois/Indiana on Thursday is going to be a true elimination game. The winner will probably need to win on Friday as well to secure a bid.
The latter isn't going to happen, so...

Fuuuuuck basketball!

thefro

Yeah, it's going to be Illinois v.s. Michigan on Thursday and Indiana v.s. Minnesota/Northwestern/Nebraska (depending on how things play out tomorrow).

Purdue should be on the safe side of the fence. Not sure if they're a lock yet, but they needed this win.

Illinois/Indiana on Thursday is going to be a true elimination game. The winner will probably need to win on Friday as well to secure a bid.

Ahh, looks like Purdue came back to win. They're probably in. Giving hope to slow starters for years to come.

Illinois will probably be in if they win their first game of the BT tournament. They don't play Indiana. They're tied for 7th at 9-9 and the first tiebreaker is head to head and Indiana won the lone game. Indiana is 7th. Illinois is 8th and plays Michigan. Indiana(7) plays Minnesota(10) should Minnesota win tomorrow at home vs. Penn State. Assuming a Nebraska loss vs. Maryland. Indiana would play Northwestern if Minnesota loses as well. If Minnesota loses and Nebraska pulls off the upset over Maryland...then Nebraska is 2-1 vs Minn/NW and they would get the 10th seed as NW is 1-1 vs MN/Nebraska and Minnesota is 1-2 vs Nebraska/NW.

In recap...Indiana can play Minn, NW or Nebraska...most likely Minnesota though because all they have to do is beat Penn State. If Minnesota falters that opens up the door for Nebraska but they're likely to lose which would open the door for NW.

All the other seeds are set in stone. As talked about here. Ohio State was at the back of the tie for 3rd and with everyone winning today(Sparty, Hawky, Boily)...Ohio State is 6th.

The Big Ten tournament will most likely look like this

1. Wisconsin vs 8. Illinois/9. Michigan
2. Maryland vs 7. Indiana/10. Minnesota
3. Michigan State
4. Iowa/Purdue
5. Purdue/Iowa vs 12. Nebraska/13. Penn St.
6. Ohio State vs. 11. Northwestern/14. Rutgers

Purdue did beat Iowa in their lone matchup but since they're tied that's not the end all be all since they have the same record as seen here... and in multiple team ties head to head is never factored besides the group conglomerate...it's not used as a subset tiebreaker...but rather the team who then beat the best team in the league and down(Iowa beat Maryland...neither Purdue or Iowa beat Wisconsin)...so Iowa gets the 4th seed even though they lost to Purdue...

-----------------------------

B. Multiple team tie:

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season.

a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

b. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

2. If the remaining teams are still tied, then each tied team's record shall be compared to the team occupying the highest position in the final regular-season standings, continuing down through the standings until one team gains an advantage.

a. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team's record against the collective tied teams as a group (prior to their own tie-breaking procedures), rather than the performance against the individual tied teams.

b. When comparing records against a single team or group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).

-------------------------

It looks like Iowa needs Ohio State to beat Wisconsin otherwise their 4-way tie for 3rd(both at 2-2) then becomes a 3 way tie where Iowa has no victories vs. Purdue/Mich. St.

This is also explained here

Iowa should be cheering for Ohio State. Purdue should be cheering for Wisconsin. Nebraska should be cheering for Penn St. Northwestern should be cheering for Penn State and Maryland.

Got it? good.

This team man.

Any members of BBNGAF going to Nashville? I've got the whole family going, won't believe what we had to do to get tickets, but holy shit am I excited

I just got back from today's game. Won't be making it to Nashville. You all represent us well down there and let's keep this train rollin.

nillapuddin

I just got back from today's game. Won't be making it to Nashville. You all represent us well down there and let's keep this train rollin.

Hell yeah, man I would have loved to be there today.

Nashville is going to be filled to the brim, Matt said
(if you don't listen to KSR you're missing half the fun)
that based on hotel reservations and tickets, etc. There are estimated to be 50,000 UK fans going to Nashville for the festivities. It is going to be absolutely insane.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
What continues to impress me about UVA is how calm they are able to be under immense pressure, even if they lose. Granted, if UVA had made most of their free throws they would have won.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't hit a shot in almost 10 min and we're only down 6? Weird game so far.

Edit: you should totally be allowed to dragon kick people out of the way on layups...

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
If we keep it within single digits going in at half time, I'll feel pretty good. Don't know if the team is tired or what, but the offense is kinda sad today.

EDIT: Is Winslow wasn't gone after this year, I'd be convinced he's going to clothesline someone before his 4 years were up.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Have you heard of the Okafor theory?

It wouldn't scale to 40 min games. When Jah is out we depend on more 3s and have happened to hit them.

The data is surprising regardless, though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The Okafor theory really underscores to me how Duke struggles to run a traditional post offense, K would know exactly what to do with a stretch 4 and Oak, but he doesn't have one.

Tyus Jones I think has been more consistently valuable to Duke though. He tired of book learnin

iamblades

It wouldn't scale to 40 min games. When Jah is out we depend on more 3s and have happened to hit them.

The data is surprising regardless, though.

Okafor's on/off stats are pretty terrible for someone who is supposed to be a POY candidate, but I agree that you can't always extrapolate that out for a full 40 minutes, sometimes you needs to grind out possessions, and Duke has no one who can really do that aside from Okafor.

That said I'm not sure it's just a matter of having 'happened to hit' some more 3s when he is out. Okafor's game has sizable flaws that diminish the impact of his highly efficient post game, and at this point in the season there is more than enough of a sample size to come to that conclusion. Duke's defense has been like .15 point per possession worse when he is on the court. That is a massive dip, and it's why I'm not sold on him as an NBA prospect, no matter how good his post moves are.

Duke is still better for having him on the roster because sometimes you just need to get 2 points the easy way, and he is maybe the best in the nation at doing so. Duke may be better if they utilized him in a smaller role though.

The Okafor theory really underscores to me how Duke struggles to run a traditional post offense, K would know exactly what to do with a stretch 4 and Oak, but he doesn't have one.

Tyus Jones I think has been more consistently valuable to Duke though. He tired of book learnin

Everyone struggles to run traditional post offense these days in college with the way defenses pack it in. Even in pros post offense has struggled to keep up with some of the defensive rule changes.

Duke actually probably has the best ability to run straight low post isos because of the sheer number of shooters they have to space the floor.

The issue with not having a true 4 man beside him isn't on the offensive end, it's on the defensive end. By playing a one big lineup you are basically forcing Okafor into being involved in pick and roll defense, which he is obviously completely terrible at. It you had a stretch 4 that could defend the PnR, you'd be set.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Okafor's on/off stats are pretty terrible for someone who is supposed to be a POY candidate, but I agree that you can't always extrapolate that out for a full 40 minutes, sometimes you needs to grind out possessions, and Duke has no one who can really do that aside from Okafor.

That said I'm not sure it's just a matter of having 'happened to hit' some more 3s when he is out. Okafor's game has sizable flaws that diminish the impact of his highly efficient post game, and at this point in the season there is more than enough of a sample size to come to that conclusion. Duke's defense has been like .15 point per possession worse when he is on the court. That is a massive dip, and it's why I'm not sold on him as an NBA prospect, no matter how good his post moves are.

Duke is still better for having him on the roster because sometimes you just need to get 2 points the easy way, and he is maybe the best in the nation at doing so. Duke may be better if they utilized him in a smaller role though.

I think Oak only has 2 major flaws, but they are MAJOR flaws.

1st is the lackluster defense. Part of it is he has nobody to back him up offensively so he doesn't play aggressive defense. He also is not a disciplined shot blocker. I think some of this willimprove on the next level.

2nd, and this is the current killer, he is terrible at FTs. This will hurt him next level because teams will foul him. He can't convert and it hurts Duke now.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member

The "Okafor Report" attempts to show that Jah has a negative impact on both Duke's offense and defense.

See truly's post for an explanation for Jah's weak defense.

Offensively, I think my point still stands (since you really only addressed his D with your post). Too small of a sample size (Jah plays a lot of minutes), and we really do shoot more 3s when we're either playing small ball or have Marshall as our center.

The "Okafor Report" attempts to show that Jah has a negative impact on both Duke's offense and defense.

See truly's post for an explanation for Jah's weak defense.

Offensively, I think my point still stands (since you really only addressed his D with your post). Too small of a sample size (Jah plays a lot of minutes), and we really do shoot more 3s when we're either playing small ball or have Marshall as our center.

It's bullshit because Marshall Plumlee averages 1.6(!) fouls in the 9.5 min he plays every game. Whatever good defense he brings off the bench will be moot when he sends every opposing player to the free throw line.

DominoKid

double digit losses 3 years in a row

1muMY1S.gif

and there's no help coming next year.

plus duke and uk are gonna sweep in for all the remaining elite 2015s after their nba exodus.

Bowser

double digit losses 3 years in a row

1muMY1S.gif

and there's no help coming next year.

plus duke and uk are gonna sweep in for all the remaining elite 2015s after their nba exodus.

The worst part is there's no end in sight. We're going to be mediocre for a long time.

We need the NCAA to just go ahead and fuck us in the butt because as long as there's uncertainty no legit recruit is going to touch us.

DominoKid

^ wow that's really minor league lol.

The worst part is there's no end in sight. We're going to be mediocre for a long time.

We need the NCAA to just go ahead and fuck us in the butt because as long as there's uncertainty no legit recruit is going to touch us.

i don't buy that it's the scandal causing recruiting issues that much. it's a convenient excuse but Shady and K are just selling a better product on the court.

freshman coming in and looking like total garbage in our vanilla ass offense scares recruits away more than anything else. it's so easy to game plan against us. that's why Roy needs superior talent to just brute force that basic shit through. they don't want to get hung out to dry by Roy's refusal to make obvious adjustments. i feel sorry for our players. they look over to the bench and Roy basically looks back at them like they need to just come up with the answer themselves. K uses that to much better effect instead of as a normal course of action. Shady does it because he has superior talent but when it comes down to it he's as good at the Xs and Os as anybody.

recruits saw Harrison Barnes look out of sorts for two years. he would've ripped it playing the 3 at Duke. they saw JMM not get better at all over 3 years and then go from the lotto to the 2nd round. they saw Roy hold PJ back when he was obviously the best player on the team. now while some people might look at that and say HB wasn't as good as advertised, or JMM wasn't good at all, or PJ was wildin out off the court, recruits don't see it like that. they see 3 All-Americans who didn't have a great time at UNC. and its that stuff scares a recruit more than anything.

why would they be worried about a scandal when they're trying to get to the NBA ASAP anyway? they're more worried about the fact that our product isn't an NBA prep program. opposing coaches don't even have to dip into the scandal well to negative recruit against us. the tape doesn't lie. if i was a top recruit right now that's what would give me serious pause about going to UNC. not a damn scandal.

Duke went through it too but K adapted. now we have to.

scandal or not we're still fuckin North Carolina, a top 2 brandname in college basketball. if you come and ball the fuck out you'll be the talk of the sport and get to the league. and that's even if we get punished and get a postseason ban (i don't think we'll get punished hard though, if at all). I think this is an issue that Roy should be able to overcome if he is as good as his sycophants want to believe. and it starts with him coaching better and conceding that we need to be an NBA pipeline to get talent befitting of the North Carolina brand.

2016 class has to be major since we're losing Paige, Brice and Tokoto. that class has to be 3 one-and-done level talents IMO.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The good news is you can start celebrating minor achievements like NC State fans!

10991284_904323756264605_1007993853733827771_n.jpg

This is official, from the NCSU Athletic Dept? HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAA

C'mon pack. Also nobody is going to consider Gott a great coach until he can beat Duke or UNC and win the next game vs Wake or BC.

^ wow that's really minor league lol.

i don't buy that it's the scandal causing recruiting issues that much. it's a convenient excuse but Shady and K are just selling a better product on the court.

freshman coming in and looking like total garbage in our vanilla ass offense scares recruits away more than anything else. it's so easy to game plan against us. that's why Roy needs superior talent to just brute force that basic shit through. they don't want to get hung out to dry by Roy's refusal to make obvious adjustments. i feel sorry for our players. they look over to the bench and Roy basically looks back at them like they need to just come up with the answer themselves. K uses that to much better effect instead of as a normal course of action. Shady does it because he has superior talent but when it comes down to it he's as good at the Xs and Os as anybody.

recruits saw Harrison Barnes look out of sorts for two years. he would've ripped it playing the 3 at Duke. they saw JMM not get better at all over 3 years and then go from the lotto to the 2nd round. they saw Roy hold PJ back when he was obviously the best player on the team. now while some people might look at that and say HB wasn't as good as advertised, or JMM wasn't good at all, or PJ was wildin out off the court, recruits don't see it like that. they see 3 All-Americans who didn't have a great time at UNC. and its that stuff scares a recruit more than anything.

why would they be worried about a scandal when they're trying to get to the NBA ASAP anyway? they're more worried about the fact that our product isn't an NBA prep program. opposing coaches don't even have to dip into the scandal well to negative recruit against us. the tape doesn't lie. if i was a top recruit right now that's what would give me serious pause about going to UNC. not a damn scandal.

Duke went through it too but K adapted. now we have to.

scandal or not we're still fuckin North Carolina, a top 2 brandname in college basketball. if you come and ball the fuck out you'll be the talk of the sport and get to the league. and that's even if we get punished and get a postseason ban (i don't think we'll get punished hard though, if at all). I think this is an issue that Roy should be able to overcome if he is as good as his sycophants want to believe. and it starts with him coaching better and conceding that we need to be an NBA pipeline to get talent befitting of the North Carolina brand.

2016 class has to be major since we're losing Paige, Brice and Tokoto. that class has to be 3 one-and-done level talents IMO.

Good points Domino, I think Barnes, Henson and JMM staying longer than they needed to hurt Roy A LOT. He got away with it in 2009, but that was really the last year you could do that. That 2010 UK team I think changed the landscape for the elites big time. Roy thinks he can still keep them a year or two and it won't hurt them, only it has like JMM, or when he publically calls out Bullock for not being ready and then he gets drafted 1st round anyway. Here is the other thing that has changed.

Great recruits don't go to UNC just because they grew up fans. Same for Duke, and even UK. Not saying they don't love their school, but its not about that anymore. You are a commodity once you hit the AAU circuit, your college choice is strictly business.

Crisco

Banned
I think the UK envy is driving ya'll crazy to be honest. Roy is doing just fine considering the circumstances that were mostly brought about by the football program. The main problem with this current team is a lack of shooters, which PJ would have solved. If the front court sticks around and Roy can find some quality shooters, they'll be fine.

Top Bottom