• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Aaand there's a 5th now.

The 9.99 ers also blame Nike's shitty shoes for Zoubek, Kelly and Kyrie. Don't know about KI, but I think they have a point with the others.

The 9.99ers?

Looks like State has this in the bag. Illinois vs. Purdue this weekend is the biggest bubble game of them all. Pretty sure the loser won't be dancing as neither is doing damage in the BT tourney.

inm8num2

It ain't over yet. MSU struggles to put games away due to poor FT shooting and turnovers against the press.

Still, I can't believe MSU has managed to keep things even in the paint without Dawson playing. Purdue's a big, tall team inside.

So 3-6 in the B10 are tied at 11-6. I know some of you talked about this a day or 2 ago. Just making it more clear.

H2H records and who they got left.

Michigan State 3-0 (Beat all 3 in their only meetings) - @ Indiana
Purdue 2-2 (Beat Iowa, Split Ohio State, Lost Mich. St) - Illinois
Iowa 2-2 (Swept Ohio State, Lost to Purdue, Lost to Mich. St) - Northwestern
Ohio State 1-4 (Split with Purdue, Swept by Iowa, Lost to Mich St.) - Wisconsin

So if they all win...Michigan State and Purdue would get the extra bye.

It's possible Illinois could overtake Indiana for the 7th seed but not likely. It's also possible Minnesota could overtake Michigan for the 9th seed but not likely. Northwestern could overtake Minnesota for 10th but again not likely.

Minnesota vs. Wisconsin will determine whether Maryland has a shot to catch Wisconsin and the #1 seed(with help from Ohio State...as Maryland owns the tiebreaker over Wisconsin).

So let's play pick em on the 4 above teams tied 3-6. Indiana beats Michigan State as they're at home. Purdue beats Illinois also at home. Iowa beats Northwestern. Ohio State beats Wisconsin. Yeah, I'm picking all the home teams. But then the tie breakers with the top 3 are slightly different with Sparty out of it...but since they all lost to Michigan State...nothing is changed. Purdue would be 3...eh, I think I'll take Illinois over Purdue. I don't see Purdue dancing. I'll pick Michigan State over Indiana too...eh.

I have the BT tourney bracket as

1. Maryland vs 8. Indiana/9. Michigan
2. Wisconsin vs 7. Illinois/10. Minnesota
3. Michigan State
4. Iowa
5. Ohio State vs 12. Nebraska/13. Penn St.
6. Purdue vs. 11. Northwestern/14. Rutgers

Maryland catching Wisconsin is a bit of a stretch but possible as the barn and buckeye land aren't easy to win at (but then they only need 1 of those). Illinois catching Indiana might be a stretch as Illinois plays on the road and Indiana plays at home but I'm calling Illinois over Purdue and Sparty over the Hoosiers.

Watch Illinois lose to Nebraska

DominoKid

this dude Dennis Smith tho
n6DZ7.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6DfEX5U7tk

cut the check Roy. were gonna need him in 2016. think he's Duke bound though.

the talent coming out of NC right now is bananas.

Fred Glass (IU AD) dropping a knowledge bomb today in the midst of 'defending' Tom Crean. I kind of like it.

"The buyout in some quarters is overblown," Glass told Miller. "I get that it's a big number. What people don't realize is, if that were to occur, it would get paid out over five years. It's not like he gets a $10 million dollar check and walks out the door.

"It gets paid out over time as if it were his regular salary over five years, which mitigates the impact on the department and it has a set-off provision so that if he went to another school or to TV or had some other employment, that gets set off."

*clap clap clap*

Bowser

UNC Tar Heels ‏@GoHeels 29m29 minutes ago
.@Jumpman23 is coming to celebrate @UNC_Basketball Senior Night with a couple special surprises. #WeAreJordan

CIny8.gif

Rasheed Sulaimon's lawyer is talking:

Duke’s office of student conduct opened an investigation into claims against former men’s basketball player Rasheed Sulamion last year and closed it when the claims could not be substantiated, Bob Ekstrand, Sulaimon’s lawyer, confirmed Thursday night.

Ekstrand also confirmed that Sulaimon is not currently under investigation by the office of student conduct, as Sports Illustrated first reported Thursday.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article12794849.html#storylink=cpy

thefro

Rumor floating around on the IU boards is Stevens has an opt-out in his contract with the Celtics if the IU job become open. Also rumors that Crean and the AD are negotiating a buyout after the season where everyone gets to save face.

Could it be happening?

MisterR

Rumor floating around on the IU boards is Stevens has an opt-out in his contract with the Celtics if the IU job become open. Also rumors that Crean and the AD are negotiating a buyout after the season where everyone gets to save face.

Could it be happening?

Nope. Stevens isn't going anywhere. They might get rid of Crean though.

inm8num2

Pitino did. Not that I believe Stevens is going to leave for IU this year, but if the NBA doesn't work out for him I could see a return to the college game in a couple years.

Fjordson

Pitino did. Not that I believe Stevens is going to leave for IU this year, but if the NBA doesn't work out for him I could see a return to the college game in a couple years.
Yeah, but that was in his like fourth year after the team had been bad. Guessing he would have been fired that season. Stevens isn't in a "win now" situation yet so unless things go way south I don't really see it.

edit:
Holy hell Boeheim and Cuse got nailed:

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball 12m12 minutes ago
NCAA report: Boeheim suspended for nine games; 12 scholarships lost over four years | http://ow.ly/K1nLa
Damn. That's intense.

Fjordson

So investigations at Duke and Kansas and Syracuse with big sanctions from the NCAA....I look forward to more articles about how Kentucky is ruining college basketball, though.

thefro

Yeah, but that was in his like fourth year after the team had been bad. Guessing he would have been fired that season. Stevens isn't in a "win now" situation yet so unless things go way south I don't really see it.

Different situation since Stevens & his wife are both from Indiana. Stevens grew up a huge IU fan, played at DePauw and coached at Butler for years.

Pitino didn't have that sort of attachment to Louisville, just a good program that could pay big $$$$.

Obviously in the Celtics favor is Stevens is in a much better situation with the Celtics than Pitino was.

Fjordson

Different situation since Stevens & his wife are both from Indiana. Stevens grew up a huge IU fan, played at DePauw and coached at Butler for years.

Pitino didn't have that sort of attachment to Louisville, just a good program that could pay big $$$$.
Yeah, but it's the Celtics...

Obviously it could happen, but I'd be completely shocked.

Fjordson

I bet he would, and I bet he stays in Boston.
That's what I'd bet on as well.

Bill Simmons on PTI yesterday was talking about how he's a "top 5 coach in the NBA". Whether or not that's true, Boston people love him. Now if the team is still bad in 3-4 years then I wouldn't be surprise if he bolted, but I don't see it yet.

Fjordson

There aren't any.
A player was kicked off the team.

Stuff > no stuff. But the team with no stuff is still the villain somehow =/

edit: can add in Chris Jones getting kicked off of Louisville and catching a rape charge. Calipari is destroying this sport ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iamblades

edit:
Damn. That's intense.

Even if things don't work out in Boston, from everything I've heard, he would get another opportunity in the NBA immediately if he wanted it.

Everyone in the NBA agrees that he is an excellent coach, and some bad luck with the roster rebuilding or some injuries causing the team to under perform is not going to change anyone's mind there.

It also seems like he is very happy in the NBA as well, and TBH he seems more like a pro coach than a college coach to me anyway, personality wise.

chris121580

That's what I'd bet on as well.

Bill Simmons on PTI yesterday was talking about how he's a "top 5 coach in the NBA". Whether or not that's true, Boston people love him. Now if the team is still bad in 3-4 years then I wouldn't be surprise if he bolted, but I don't see it yet.

I thought Boston fans were not a fan of Stevens because he wasn't milking last season and this season for draft picks. I had read that numerous players and thought it was ridiculous. It's good to know that they like him

Boeheim won't give a fuck about the vacated wins, the suspension is ultimately irrelevant too.

Losing schollies is a program crippler though. There goes your depth for at least four years.

Top Bottom