• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

DominoKid

I ain't worried about nothin.
Worth worrying about did not happen.

As expected, Roy Williams and Larry Fedora were not named in the NOA and neither were any of their players beyond taking classes over which the NCAA has no jurisdiction. No coaches cheated (a la Syracuse) and no real academic improprieties were uncovered. The NCAA has been investigating this for so long that despite saying much of it was out of its purview something had to be alleged. How about a Notice that pretty much plagiarizes the Wainstein Report?

The media frenzy will continue with some shock jocks still crowing about Carolina sitting out the 2016 NCAA Tournament and missing another bowl game. If those sanctions ever happen, and they are rare after the Penn State debacle, the NCAA has to have ruled that an ineligible player was used or some serious cheating occurred. None of that is in the NOA.

Syracuse, by contrast, was charged with the basketball office being directly involved in writing term papers and facilitating illegal gifts to players, plus blowing drug test procedures and not promoting an atmosphere of compliance. The Orange lost a dozen scholarships, must vacate a bunch of victories and coach Jim Boeheim was suspended for nine ACC games (which he is appealing). But no post-season sanctions beyond what the school self-imposed last season.

Six-to-nine months from now, UNC may get a sizable fine. Whatever penalties come to athletics, the price won’t be close to what it cost Syracuse or, for that matter, what certain Tar Heel teams have already paid over the interminable last two years. Hang on, it’s almost over.

tumblr_mgbh7q5pgH1rdqggno1_500.gif

HANH?!

Crisco you're gonna be hurting when it's all settled.

University of the People just announced a five year contract extension for Ol Roy

EDIT: It's a 2 year extension on his current deal that puts under contract until 2019-2020

Crisco

Banned
UNC is going all in to try and keep their recruits and current players from transferring for the 15/16 season. They know the NCAA is going to fuck them, and fuck them hard, so it's all hands on deck for one more run before the program is sanctioned into oblivion. It also explains unnecessary redactions like this,

“Jenn, for many years, (redacted) was very separate from the Academic Center. Burgess McSwain whom I’m sure you have heard of, kept it that way because Coach Smith wanted it that way. He wanted the (redacted) boys to remain separate and not get lumped in the ‘athlete label’ that I’m sure you have witnessed, often works against them. After Burgess got sick, Coach Williams came, Wayne came, they put (redacted) in the middle of the Academic Center…”

It’s a pretty safe bet the redacted words here are “basketball” or “BB” or “MBB.” It’s difficult to see how their removal satisfies a privacy concern.

Look at the WBB team, whom they are trying to basically blame for this whole thing. Two players have already transferred, one their leader scorer from last year. They are willing to sacrifice all their other teams, and their academic reputation, to save 2 banners and a chance for a third. Pathetic.

2016 5* SG Tyus battle commits to Michigan.

Well, it looks like Duke basketball's temporary great luck has run out

GROVER, COME IN OFF THE LEDGE
Brian Fellows, don't jump.

Five-star guard Tyus Battle is decommitting from Michigan after just one month, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

Battle committed to Michigan last month, choosing the Wolverines over Duke, Louisville, UConn, Syracuse and others. He took official visits to Duke, Louisville and Michigan before his commitment, meaning a trip to Syracuse will be his fourth official visit. As a result, Battle will have one official visit remaining.

The 6-foot-5 shooting guard from New Jersey is ranked No. 27 in the ESPN 100 for the class of 2016.

Battle was one of three commitments in Michigan's 2016 class, joining four-star center Jon Teske and three-star center Austin Davis.

The news was first reported by Scout.com.

Duke's run of bad luck might not last.

Kevtones

So it seems Jamal Murray is an Oregon commit.

5* Jamal Murray
5* Tyler Dorsey
4* Kendal Small
4* Trevor Manuel
Top JC player in the country Chris Boucher.

Damn, with the core coming back Oregon might be really, really good.

Jamal Murray to reclassify to the Class of 2015 and commit to UK. UK regains the number 1 recruiting class per 247.

BBN takes a giant collective sigh of relief.

Fjordson

I can't believe we got Murray. All I was hearing was Oregon.

Cal struck out a lot this class, but I guess this lets him keep his job a little longer.

Coach

Ulis
Briscoe
Murray
Poythress
Skal

Plus on the bench there will be Hawkins, Lee, Moulder, Matthews and if he decides to actually put some work in to get some clock Willis. looks like a team that can run and really push the tempo,

This should be a fun team to watch. No pressure either like the past couple of teams have had.

Bowser

WOJ BOMB

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m1 minute ago
Yahoo Sources: Sacramento probing Kentucky's John Calipari about interest in running front office and coaching. http://yhoo.it/1duKsyS

The Sacramento Kings are probing University of Kentucky coach John Calipari about his interest in taking over the franchise's front-office and coaching jobs, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Calipari has been communicating with owner Vivek Ranadive and other members of the Kings ownership group in recent weeks, league sources said. Calipari has listened to scenarios with which the Kings could offer him complete control of the franchise's fledgling basketball operations to go along with coaching, league sources said.

No formal offer has been made to Calipari, and Kings ownership understands that it will take a multiyear financial package of $10 million-plus annually to get Calipari to seriously consider leaving Kentucky, sources said.

$10m+ mah god

Proelite

Duke's 2016 - 2017 Lineup.

Chase Jeter 6'10 250lb
Harry Giles 6'10 220lb
Jason Tatum 6'8 210lb
Matt Jones 6'5 210 lb
Derrick Thornton 6'2 190lb

Bench:
Semi O 6'9 260lb
Antonio Vank. 6'11 260lb
Luke Kennard 6'6 200lb
Grayson Allen 6'4 195lb
Another 5* guard

K rolls out platoon system, gets credit for inventing it.

Duke's 2016 - 2017 Lineup.

Chase Jeter 6'10 250lb
Harry Giles 6'10 220lb
Jason Tatum 6'8 210lb
Matt Jones 6'5 210 lb
Derrick Thornton 6'2 190lb

Bench:
Semi O 6'9 260lb
Antonio Vank. 6'11 260lb
Luke Kennard 6'6 200lb
Grayson Allen 6'4 195lb
Another 5* guard

K rolls out platoon system, gets credit for inventing it.

Our dearest Semi is...departed from this world. And by this world, I mean Duke, because he transferred.

Sean Obi is there though.

Fjordson

The Tatum commitment barely even registered for me. Losing a recruit to Duke is just sort of an inevitability these days.

I really miss the days when Coach K had a limit on his one and done recruiting.

The Tatum commitment barely even registered for me. Losing a recruit to Duke is just sort of an inevitability these days.

I really miss the days when Coach K had a limit on his one and done recruiting.

That's the myth of Duke basketball. K's always recruited the top guys and he never balked at recruiting guys who could potentially be one and doners.

He lost Patrick Patterson to Tubby Smith/Billy Gillepsie, Greg Monroe to JTIII, John Wall to Cal, Harrison Barnes to Huck, Shabazz Muhammad to adidas.

All guys that K put time and effort into recruiting and all guys that chose to play somewhere else. (EDIT: Go back and read PackPride threads from back when they not only thought they had a chance to get John Wall, but thought it was a done deal he was going to State for hilarity)

He's just...landing them now, for a myriad of reasons (Team USA, Capel, UNC fuckups, chipping twice in five years)

Fjordson

That's the myth of Duke basketball. K's always recruited the top guys and he never balked at recruiting guys who could potentially be one and doners.

He lost Patrick Patterson to Tubby Smith/Billy Gillepsie, Greg Monroe to JTIII, John Wall to Cal, Harrison Barnes to Huck, Shabazz Muhammad to adidas.

All guys that K put time and effort into recruiting and all guys that chose to play somewhere else. (EDIT: Go back and read PackPride threads from back when they not only thought they had a chance to get John Wall, but thought it was a done deal he was going to State for hilarity)

He's just...landing them now, for a myriad of reasons (Team USA, Capel, UNC fuckups, chipping twice in five years)
I didn't know about some of those guys, but I dunno. It seems like he's embracing it more than ever. I mean he's basically going toe to toe with Calipari as far as sheer numbers.

Which really sucks ass for the rest of us because the guy is owning everyone.

I didn't know about some of those guys, but I dunno. It seems like he's embracing it more than ever. I mean he's basically going toe to toe with Calipari as far as sheer numbers.

Which really sucks ass for the rest of us because the guy is owning everyone.

Neither you nor Grover are wrong in your view of it.

Coach K did miss out on some big recruits so much that it looked like Duke was losing its edge. But at the same time, Coach K, during the aftermath of this recent title, openly talked about changing his recruiting philosophy. Before 1-and-done, he said they identified the recruits most likely to go straight to the pros and wouldn't spend any time on them (with the lone exception of Kobe Bryant). After 1-and-done, he said they still didn't target those players, except now they had to start facing them. He said his mindset changed, and he and his staff started looking at players that "still fit the profile" for Duke, and the first guy they got that they knew could be 1 year only was Irving (they didn't expect Maggette [99] and Deng [04] to leave after 1 year, and for that matter, they didn't expect Shaun Livingston, who committed to Duke, to go straight to the league during that era [also 04] [note that 04 was the year K seriously considered taking the Laker job]). Last year's class was obviously the biggest haul of players that would turn out to be 1 and done, and who knows how thing year's class will fare on at least that aspect. (I don't think K was sure Jones and Winslow would be 1 and done at the beginning of the year, but Okafor was a given. Similarly, I think Ingram is projected as a 1 and done this year, but who knows how the other guys might develop.)

With that in mind, let's not overstate the number of 1 year players he's getting. He's had the aforementioned players Maggette, Deng, and Irving, and then Rivers [12], Parker [14], and last season's crop [Okafor, Winslow, Jones].

ACC/Big 14 schedule:

Monday, Nov. 30
7 p.m.: Wake Forest at Rutgers (ESPNU)
9 p.m.: Clemson at Minnesota (ESPN2)
Tuesday, Dec. 1
7 p.m.: Michigan at N.C. State (ESPN2)
7 p.m.: Northwestern at Virginia Tech (ESPNU)
7:30 p.m.: Virginia at Ohio State (ESPN)
9 p.m.: Miami at Nebraska (ESPNU)
9 p.m.: Purdue at Pittsburgh (ESPN2)
9:30 p.m.: Maryland at North Carolina (ESPN)
Wednesday, Dec. 2
7:15 p.m.: Louisville at Michigan State (ESPN)
7:15 p.m.: Wisconsin at Syracuse (ESPN2)
7:15 p.m.: Penn State at Boston College (ESPNU)
9:15 p.m.: Indiana at Duke (ESPN)
9:15 p.m.: Notre Dame at Illinois (ESPN2)
9:15 p.m.: Florida State at Iowa (ESPNU)

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/ac...cle_64f7c416-17b0-5aec-868b-eaaec3234f88.html

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I got it coming out a split.

Wake Forest
Minnesota
Michigan
Northwestern
Virginia
Nebraska
Purdue
North Carolina
Michigan State
Syracuse
Boston College
Duke
Notre Dame
Iowa

Recruiting update

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 48m48 minutes ago
Jeff Goodman retweeted Reggie Rankin
Duke the heavy frontrunner. Jeff Goodman added,
Reggie Rankin @ReggieRankin
ESPN 100 No.14 Frank Jackson has confirmed to @ESPNRNHoops that he will make his college decision tomorrow (Tues) http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...g/player/evaluation/_/id/186662/frank-jackson …

From the looks of it, he just took his official visit to Duke over the weekend and hasn't visited anyone else, though he does have offers from Arizona, Maryland, UCLA, and others. 6'3 shooting guard out of Utah.

Proelite

Recruiting update

From the looks of it, he just took his official visit to Duke over the weekend and hasn't visited anyone else, though he does have offers from Arizona, Maryland, UCLA, and others. 6'3 shooting guard out of Utah.

He just signed with Duke. OMFG never saw that one coming. We pulled an upset.

Bowser

UNC received its first bit of good recruiting news in, like, a million months (or so it feels like) - Tony Bradley, a 4* C ranked #31 overall in the 2016 class, verbally committed tonight.

As if the Illini needed anymore bad news but Darius Paul was arrested in France and sent home.
Huh. I thought he was already off the team again... Just a matter of time, I guess.

Really feel like Groce missed his window of opportunity. Pretty pessimistic about it, last year was make or break and they broke. I don't even think he's an awful coach, though he is definitely awful at coaching half court offense. Going 1 for 3 on making the tourney dooms recruiting, which means we won't be getting any better on offense. Probably NIT again and another new coach in two or three years.

mBEbGgn.png

Top Bottom