• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA 2014-15 Men's Basketball |OT| It's Cal's World, We're Just Living In It

Fjordson

Jamal Murray currently on a visit at UK

tumblr_inline_noia1tCZx91r79k32_500.gif

But the good news for UK, the same sources say that Cal would have to take a deep pay cut to take the Pelicans job.

New Orleans is only willing to pay 4-5 mil per year, he currently makes 8 mil

B1G turning into murders row luckily we have all world player Russel returning next year...oh whats that? Ok, well luckily we have tons of depth and a veteran player team....oh thats not true either?

Fuck.

Fjordson

True, but sort of seems like a temporary victory. If he's reaching out to teams and is legitimately interested in leaving then it'll probably happen at some point soon.

Fjordson

ESPN stirring the pot with their own narrative? Not unprecedented?

A coach not being forthright? Also not unprecedented.
Exactly. Maybe Pelicans just said firmly "we won't pay up". Doesn't mean a pro offer sweet enough won't come this summer.

Worth noting that I don't begrudge Calipari on any of this. Just how the coach business works. Though a swift and decisive resolution would be nice. The lingering NBA thing probably hurts recruiting a bit.

Fjordson

UK would let Calipari coach until he's 95 obviously. It's just a matter of how legitimate Calipari's NBA interest and if there's a decent team that can afford him.

UK would let Calipari coach until he's 95 obviously. It's just a matter of how legitimate Calipari's NBA interest and if there's a decent team that can afford him.

What makes you say that, you lose or they lose any faith in you and they run you out of town. They ran off Pitino, they ran off Tubby.

Fjordson

What makes you say that, you lose or they lose any faith in you and they run you out of town. They ran off Pitino, they ran off Tubby.
Pitino left for the Celtics after winning a title. He was a god in the 90's and could have stayed much longer. Tubby's situation is a bit more complicated and I do think he got some unwarranted pressure from fans, but after that '98 title (with Pitino's players) Tubby never went to another final four. And UK's status as a program simply wasn't the same without the cachet of Pitino, which hurt recruiting.

Combine those last few years of Tubby with the disaster of Billy Gillispie and you have a UK program that was a shadow of its former self in the 90's. For Calipari to take on all that and turn into UK into a "cool" program for 17-18 year old kids, to almost always have the basketball prgoram in the news and to have so many former players in the NBA is an impressive feat. And that's all stuff that matters big time when it comes to recruiting (and $$$ for the program). The on-court success speaks for itself. Only twice has he not been to at least the final four.

Dude is basically what Pitino was before the Celtics. Only thing that'll change that is a big NBA offer or retirement.

I disagree, UK is the Crucible. If he starts losing or not living up "the UK standard" they will be putting for sale signs on his lawn too. They didn't bring him in to recruit so as Uk gets the recruits, they brought him in to win championships. Not to go to Final Fours, but we'll see. I don't think there's really any job out there in the NBA that would make hime leave right now.

Fjordson

I disagree, UK is the Crucible. If he starts losing or not living up "the UK standard" they will be putting for sale signs on his lawn too. They didn't bring him in to recruit so as Uk gets the recruits, they brought him in to win championships. Not to go to Final Fours, but we'll see. I don't think there's really any job out there in the NBA that would make hime leave right now.
I'm telling you mang, he could literally be as senile as Bobby Bowden was near the end at FSU and UK wouldn't run him off.

Also, angry / disappointed fans don't mean much. People know about that stuff in sports more these days because of social media and whatnot. They see a few dozen UK fans get angry on twitter and run with the "LOL UK fans so crazy!" narrative. Vast majority aren't like that and don't expect a title ever year. I mean before Calipari, UK had won 7 titles in 112 years, despite being the winningest program in college bball history. You gotta be realistic about how hard it is to win a title in college, especially with the randomness of today's NCAA tourney.

What really counts are things like money, attendance and reasonable on-court success, which is all as good as it's been in decades.

But all of this is sort of moot since I do think he'll be in the NBA eventually.

I'm telling you mang, he could literally be as senile as Bobby Bowden was near the end at FSU and UK wouldn't run him off.

Also, angry / disappointed fans don't mean much. People know about that stuff in sports more these days because of social media and whatnot. They see a few dozen UK fans get angry on twitter and run with the "LOL UK fans so crazy!" narrative. Vast majority aren't like that and don't expect a title ever year. I mean before Calipari, UK had won 7 titles in 112 years, despite being the winningest program in college bball history. You gotta be realistic about how hard it is to win a title in college, especially with the randomness of today's NCAA tourney.

What really counts are things like money, attendance and reasonable on-court success, which is all as good as it's been in decades.

But all of this is sort of moot since I do think he'll be in the NBA eventually.

As much as i'm not a fan of Cal, I don't think he's right for the NBA. He's a leader and recruiter but not a Coach. I see no success for him there but I do see him trying because what else is he going to do? Accept the fact that he hasn't won there?

DominoKid

As much as i'm not a fan of Cal, I don't think he's right for the NBA. He's a leader and recruiter but not a Coach. I see no success for him there but I do see him trying because what else is he going to do? Accept the fact that he hasn't won there?

uh yeah???

i don't get why he'd leave. it's not going to get any better than this.

Luckily you dont have to coach in the NBA

Cal: Title secondary to getting 8 players drafted this year

Shady outchea recruiting.

Let's keep it a buck, the upper level high school talents, the "one and dones" don't have winning an NCAA Championship as their primary objective in life, or really even in their time in college.

They want to see which coach will put them in the best position to succeed and which program will put them in the most visible spotlight as they broadcast themselves to their potential employers in the NBA. Cal's just advertising himself and UK as the best coach and the best place for those things to happen.

I doubt the really old geezers in BBN want to hear that though.

^ I saw an article on that earlier. Dude said in 2010 that the draft was the biggest day in the history of Kentucky basketball. It was a clown statement then, and the same is true now. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome that so many kids are getting drafted and having their futures potentially set for life (as long as they spend and invest responsibly), but come on. Herm, remind this guy exactly why the game is being played.

Fjordson

Cal: Title secondary to getting 8 players drafted this year

Shady outchea recruiting.

Let's keep it a buck, the upper level high school talents, the "one and dones" don't have winning an NCAA Championship as their primary objective in life, or really even in their time in college.

They want to see which coach will put them in the best position to succeed and which program will put them in the most visible spotlight as they broadcast themselves to their potential employers in the NBA. Cal's just advertising himself and UK as the best coach and the best place for those things to happen.

I doubt the really old geezers in BBN want to hear that though.
Yep. Of course I've already seen the old fashioned fringe freak out on twitter and forums like idiots. How they don't see what he's doing is hilarious. As if he truly doesn't want to win.

After rumours of Calipari being interested in an NBA job (the same day he has a big recruit on campus) he quickly signs a new contract and talks publicly about how he's more concerned with kids getting drafted than his own success. Boy, what a shocker.

And he's keeping UK in the news whenever he can. I just watched ESPN dedicate a whole segment to UK basketball on Pardon the Interruption earlier and it's the middle of May. It's just all part of the recruiting game at the end of the day and that feeds right into winning. Something that's really tough to do these days at a high level without top freshmen.

Good ol Friday news dump

UNC receives official Notice of Allegations from the NCAA regarding academic scandal

"The University of North Carolina has received its Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, but will not release the details of the report until a later date, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

The NCAA does not publicly announce delivery of a Notice of Allegations and member institutions are not required to release the full report. UNC is expected to announce the receipt of its NOA on Friday afternoon. "

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
IT_HAS_BEGUN!!!.jpg

Although, if we are being real here, the fact that this comes out on the Friday before a 3 day weekend shows you where the NCAA is thinking in all this.

No fear, UNC friends, banners safe, no post season ban, and just some scholy losses, probably more on women's basketball and soccer.

Crisco

Banned
Are ya'll kidding or serious? You think you're going to "skate" on LOIC? That has never come without major penalties. Remember, when this shit all started UNC thought it was going to end with a 2 game suspension for Austin, and 1 game for Little. Yet here we are, 5 years later.

Bowser

Crackpots at N&O calling for Roy to be fired. Little do they know UNC is getting ready to extend Roy's contract lmao.

Adam Gold ‏@AGoldFan 11m11 minutes ago
Hearing that the NOA will spare men's basketball of penalties. Charges aimed at football based on impermissible benefits. #NOA #UNC

giphy.gif

Bowser

Adam Gold ‏@AGoldFan 11m11 minutes ago
Hearing that the NOA will spare men's basketball of penalties. Charges aimed at football based on impermissible benefits. #NOA #UNC

giphy.gif

The funny thing is even that's a mischaracterization. Both men's bball and football are supposedly not named in the NOA per UNC sources.

Numerous sources have confirmed that whatever allegations are in the notice, none apply to football and men’s basketball. Some Olympic sports might have gotten hit and, almost certainly, the university is being charged with the dreaded “lack of institutional control.” But the complexities of this case may be one reason for the long delay in releasing the NOA.

http://chapelboro.com/featured/arts-angle-why-the-wait/

Crisco

Banned
Again, are you guys joking or actually delusional? What do you think is going to happen here? UNC has been charged with LOIC and 4 other Level 1 violations, it's already too late to cheat the process, they are already knee deep in shit. Violations of that nature have never come without post-season bans, loss of scholarships, fines, probation, etc.... Hell, they classified the paper classes as an "impermissible benefit" which is about the best anyone on PackPride could have hoped for lol.

You really think football and basketball are going to be cleared because UNC buried the evidence directly linking them? From the LOIC allegation,

This allowed individuals within ASPSA to use these courses through special arrangements to maintain the eligibility of academically at-risk student-athletes, particularly in the sports of football, men's basketball and women's basketball.

And it's not like we don't already know the names of players who've received the "impermissible benefit",

The NCAA (nor the media) isn't that fucking stupid. No one is going to conclude that the corrupt women's basketball program sucked revenue and Olympic sports into their web of lies and deceit. They were never gonna beat UConn anyway!

Bowser

Again, are you guys joking or actually delusional? What do you think is going to happen here? UNC has been charged with LOIC and 4 other Level 1 violations, it's already too late to cheat the process, they are already knee deep in shit. Violations of that nature have never come without post-season bans, loss of scholarships, fines, probation, etc.... Hell, they classified the paper classes as an "impermissible benefit" which is about the best anyone on PackPride could have hoped for lol.

You really think football and basketball are going to be cleared because UNC buried the evidence directly linking them? From the LOIC allegation,

And it's not like we don't already know the names of players who've received the "impermissible benefit",

The NCAA (nor the media) isn't that fucking stupid. No one is going to conclude that the corrupt women's basketball program sucked revenue and Olympic sports into their web of lies and deceit. They were never gonna beat UConn anyway!

LOIC was charged on the academic side of the house, which the NCAA has never done before...the whole NOA smacks of "we don't really have shit, so we're going to throw these charges and see what happens." If there are any postseason bans or banners taken down by COI, UNC will sue the shit out of them:

LEVEL I CHARGES
Lack of institutional control (levied against three university employees....also cited College of Arts & Sciences for lack of oversight)

Academic fraud. (NOT LEVIED)

Failure to cooperate in an NCAA enforcement investigation. (levied against two university employees)

Individual unethical or dishonest conduct. (levied against three university employees)

Head coach responsibility violation by a head coach resulting from an underlying Level I violation by an individual within the sport program. (NOT LEVIED)

Nearly all of those who were mentioned significantly throughout the report were associated with academics, and not athletics.

Stu Brown, a Atlanta-based attorney who specializes in college sports issues, said he was shocked at how broad the report was, especially given the nature and longevity of the investigation.

"It was the most benign possible given how serious the issue is," Brown told ESPN after reading the Notice of Allegations. "And there wasn't a single athletic focus. No coach, no athletic director, no associate athletic director."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...tions-ncaa-looks-favorable-coach-roy-williams

Basically, the NCAA is going with "we're not saying the classes themselves were fraudulent or an impermissible benefit, it's the help athletes got in enrolling in the classes that is the problem." If there are serious sanctions based on that, well, UNC and Skadden Arps will see the NCAA in court.

Also, per THE NCAA'S OWN BYLAWS:

"For violations of Bylaw 16 in which there is no monetary value to the extra benefit, violations shall be considered institutional violations... however such violations shall not effect the student-athlete's eligibility"

Guess what...allegation 1 pertains to Bylaw 16.

Crisco

Banned
LOIC was charged on the academic side of the house, which the NCAA has never done before...the whole NOA smacks of "we don't really have shit, so we're going to throw these charges and see what happens." If there are any postseason bans or banners taken down by COI, UNC will sue the shit out of them:

You're right that some of this is unprecedented, but that's because no school has ever cheated like this before. Remember what we're talking about here, an entire academic department propped up as a degree mill to maintain the academic eligibility of student-athletes. There are some similar cases though, like this,

Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis will receive three years' probation and lose some scholarships. It will also vacate 18 victories by the men's basketball team in 2003-04; 14 wins by the women's basketball team in 2006-07; and 40 victories by the volleyball team from 2004-06.

The NCAA said Tuesday that IUPUI allowed erroneous eligibility certification for 97 student-athletes from 2003-04 through 2006-07, demonstrating a lack of institutional control and a failure to monitor by the university.

A former academic adviser was cited for unethical conduct for his refusal to cooperate with the NCAA during its investigation.

The university noted that no IUPUI student-athletes, coaches or athletics department administrators knew of the violations.

--

Also, per THE NCAA'S OWN BYLAWS:

"For violations of Bylaw 16 in which there is no monetary value to the extra benefit, violations shall be considered institutional violations... however such violations shall not effect the student-athlete's eligibility"
Guess what...allegation 1 pertains to Bylaw 16.

Yeah, but this was an impermissible benefit that directly maintained a student's eligibility. I can't predict what the NCAA is going to do here, but they could easily argue that a benefit which ensured a student-athlete kept receiving scholarship money was in fact, monetary.

As for going to court, all I can say is lol good luck. UNC accepted two level 1 violations for failure to cooperate because they were scared of what Crowder or Nyang'oro might tell an investigator. If they sue the NCAA though, now we're talking about subpoena power which UNC can't do anything to avoid. Are you sure that's what they want?

Bowser

Whatever man, we'll see. Won't find out anything for another 9 months, so no point wasting breath. I'll leave with a couple of points I've gleaned from reading all the coverage:

*Charging UNC for the lack of cooperation by Crowder and Nyang'oro seems absurd given that, you know, UNC paid millions for the WR which NCAA used for a lot of their investigation and has detailed testimony from those two. Seems like they were added for nothing but heft, so they could tout "5 charges" instead of 3.

*Nothing in this NOA is new. It's the same stuff outlined in prior investigations. The NCAA launched this re-investigation last June because, in their words, people that were previously uncooperative might be willing to talk. Well, the NOA shows that none of them talked. Not Crowder, not Nyang'oro, not Willingham, not McCants ... no one. So it's a rehash of the same issues.

Obviously, there are no guarantees when it comes to the COI, given they seem to ignore precedent at every possible turn. BUT, the NOA provides the framework for the COI to rule, and UNC has already said it is going to challenge several aspects of it in their response and during the COI hearing. And going by the letter of NCAA law, this NOA doesn't really provide much of a basis to punish men's bball or football. "Excessive academic support" is usually not indicative of an impermissible benefit. And the WR already stated you can't just remove those classes and re-calc GPAs to ascertain eligibility, because who's to say they couldn't have taken another easy class in a different department?

But again, the COI is a wild card. We'll see in 9 months.

Crisco

Banned
Do I think they are going to nail specific players on a particular team during a particular season? No, so your banners are probably safe. But I do think the programs noted in the LOIC allegation as receiving the most benefit (football and men/women's basketball) are going to suffer severe sanctions. There's also going to be an assumption of further guilt due to the "failure to cooperate" charges. You can parse the NOA however you want, but it's a clear acknowledgement of deliberate cheating on behalf of athletics, which has never gone unpunished.

Top Bottom